Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

48 is what most studios use for mastering so it's kind of a convenience thing that they don't need to transcode it. There's no harm to high res PCM over 16/44 other than file size. MQA, on the other hand, is stupid garbage and DSD I'm pretty sure only exists as a reason for people to yell at DAC manufacturers on the internet and get misty eyed about SACD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

DancingShade posted:

But I want to warm out those cool highs.
My all time favorite single audiophile thing is spending four or five figures on new hardware/cables/acoustic feet/tonearms, etc. for a difference that could easily be done with simple EQ.

"Ever since I switched to these new D'Agostino monoblocks the bass is fuller and treble is less harsh!"

qirex fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 18, 2021

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah those PJs are pretty good and merino is a decent material but I think you'll find that for people with the most highly resolving systems our custom rabbit angora blend offers a wider soundstage, with deeper velvety blacks [they also contain velvet].

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

For your speakers and amp I'd strongly suggest narwhal.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Guess the price without looking it up

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The LED is the wrong color blue! McIntosh is smart, they know their market and stick to it and having distinctive design goes miles in that price bracket, once you get one there's a slippery slope to the whole blue VU stack.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Oh wow, it's huge

At that point I feel like they should have just made it full width. I'd also guess some suspiciously expensive rack ears are coming as well.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

This thread is Poe’s Law incarnate

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

You have to be at least partially infected to understand enough to make fun of the people who go full Kimber Cable.

On the flipside I once told a normal person how much my system cost [and it's not very expensive] and he looked at me like I had three heads.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Can we make this the thread background?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I'm pretty sure honkiness and audiophilia have a linear relationship.

KEEP HONKING I'M RELOADING CLEANING MY 180 GRAM PRESSING OF AJA

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

njsykora posted:

Have there been any good audiophile tantrums yet over the push towards lossless streaming?

It’s not high res enough! Current complaining trends include lack of support for DSD, a niche format only used by SACD until recently which apparently has hideous license fees despite its [because of?] its obscurity so it has extremely limited support outside of foobar2000

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

LessLoss are the ones who make the Blackbody, the spiritual successor to the VPI Magic Brick.

Fake edit: it’s now active! Still does nothing.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

smellmycheese posted:

I was thinking the other day. Has anyone ever tried a speaker cable company that just sells cables of stranded precious metals? Silver for the pleb tier, moving on up to gold and platinum, and then some ultra rare earth metals for the big spenders. I reckon it could be a money spinner

There are definitely silver cables out there but I've never heard of gold, even at the stupid 80 grand MIT Cables level. I'd guess no supplier makes stranded gold wire for them to use.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Neurophonic posted:

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Z9hZtKFLRHG-U7Ng2aKerg

Open registration for anyone interested in hearing the man himself talk about MQA.
I assume anyone who asks an actual question will be kicked off the zoom, "paradoxes of losslessness and data vs information flow" my rear end

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I wonder if any of these guys have ever heard of Audacity, staring at the HDCD LED on your DAC doesn't seem like a critical analysis.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There's nothing an audiophile loves more than a dead format, the less convenient the better [see the recent interest in reel to reel]. I'm personally looking forward to people complaining about stuff not supporting MQA in the future.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

polyester concept posted:

these guys are just so close to truly understanding why $20 worth of components marked up to $500 sounds "as good" as the same components marked up to $5000.
One of my favorite audiophile review cliches is "oh man this $1000 [thing] sounds like it should cost $2000! Comparing it to this $5000 [thing] it's not quite as good, though. It's amazing how consistent they are with it, even when it comes down to stuff like Benchmark or RME DACs that are measurably best in class, they'll just say the ten grand Denafrips 40 pound monster is "more musical."

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the idea of "good enough" is anthema to the audiophile mentality where you're always a few thousand dollars away from a wider soundstage, more holographic presence or tighter bass so a literal one dollar cable that can be bit perfect all day forever doesn't make sense

I have had digital audio fuckups and yeah they are not subtle, typically so bad that you immediately scramble for the remote to skip to the next track

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

At a point it's more about having nice stuff than just stuff that sounds good, e.g. splashing out for a $5k NAD M33 over a cheaper streamer/integrated like the MiniDSP SHD or getting fancy custom veneer on Salk speakers over some piano black other thing. I think in the apartment I'm in now $5k is about the ceiling and most of that would be speakers since I already have a pretty good sub. If I had a dedicated listening room I'd love something like Dynaudio Contour 30s but a lot of that is to look at, the silver oak finish is so nice. I'd probably also spend money on making any room treatment not look like foam blocks covered in airport carpet.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Big fan of the blind pulls lining up in a way that it looks like your TV is held up by string.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Oh god that’s tempting. I tried some of their open ones and they were super nice. That said I have no interest in going full headphone grognard, I’m trying to spend less time at my desk.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

:dawkins101:

quote:

Thanks for shopping with Adorama

Your order has been placed and will be processed as soon as possible.

Once your package has shipped, we'll send you a confirmation email with a tracking number.
Might as well start living like I can't leave my house until I hear otherwise

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

My Elegias arrived and they're real good, folks. I never would have paid a grand for them but I can't imagine wanting nicer headphones. Maybe the same thing but lighter? I'm not used to full size sets. If I had to complain about anything the cord kinda sucks but fortunately it uses standard connectors so I can just get a good one for $15.

qirex fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 18, 2021

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

BurritoJustice posted:

Calling bad cables "lamp cords" is usually a joke but the focal cables genuinely resemble old kitschy appliance cables. They're stiff as gently caress and actually have a goofy striped pattern.

They're a simple 2x TS 3.5mm jack though, which is the perfect standard, so you can make one yourself for cheap
I didn't get the 2-segment stripey one, just some grey rubber thing that is still too stiff and too short. The connectors are fancy machined metal though so I still get premium vibes. So far I'm enjoying this ridiculous splurge, super hoping it doesn't send me down the DAC/amp rabbit hole.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I bought the Elegias from that deal and after a few weeks of listening [and a new cable, the the included one sucks] I absolutely love them. That said I will probably never spend that much on headphones again in my life but I don’t regret it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Don't electric cars not need geared transmissions since motors have the same torque across the power range? That said, adding a manual transmission to an electric car would be an extremely audiophile kind of thing to do.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It's started happening: I've been listening to stuff mentioned in audiophile equipment reviews and going "wow, this is great," I think it's the slope to listening to the equipment. Anyway, "The MIraculous" by Anna von Hausswolff sounds really good on my headphones. For maximum audiophile grognard compatibility it features both a solo female vocalist and a pipe organ.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

strtj posted:

Well, Stereophile reviewed B&W DM302 speakers (https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/542/index.html) and the Pro-Ject Debut III turntable (https://www.stereophile.com/turntables/pro-ject_debut_iii_record_player/index.html), both of which I've owned and appreciated, but I wouldn't exactly call them high-end.

I meant listening to the music that reviewers mention. Like every true audio nerd I already have 5+ bench dream systems in mind from $5k to infinity

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

magnepans are almost the platonic ideal of an audiophile speaker, they take up a whole room, need beefy amps, require huge amounts of tweaking and have a sweet spot exactly the size of one person

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I remember reading a Magnepan review way back when I first heard about them and I lost it when the reviewer said “they really opened up when I moved them 10 feet from the back wall.”

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

afen posted:

Remember to plug your unused inputs: https://ansuz-acoustics.com
What is that man doing to his XLR port? :gonk:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

These dudes will absolutely spend 75 grand on speakers and never go to live shows.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"Timing" is my favorite too, like they seem to imply that on a cheap amp the sounds come out in the wrong order. What Hifi seems to be the prime offender here, they'll talk about cables or even a surge protector improving timing or "organization"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Zeos' cat Chewbacca died :smith:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

movax posted:

Also, I think I posted in this thread about it but must be loving blind — what was the brand that would make custom braided / colored cables for you if you didn’t mind spending some extra bucks for something that you know doesn’t sound any better but looks cooler? Saves me the time of buying the braid / connectors from Digi-Key and putting it all together.

Blue Jeans Cable does this.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol

quote:

Subwoofer Size 5" (127.00mm)
Subwoofer Weight 7.60lbs (3.5kg)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There should be a consumer protection law that you're not allowed to call something a subwoofer if it could be knocked over by an energetic housecat.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

njsykora posted:

On the one hand this is hilarious on the other hand I kinda dig the aesthetic as a PS1 fan.
https://twitter.com/fearian/status/1455504650183090176?s=21

My very first post in this thread 12 years ago :corsair: was about how I hilarious I thought that phenomenon was, glad to see it's still going strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There will never be a topic where the handwaving is so much more elaborate than the actual science [which is pretty simple] than AC power.