Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Boiled Water posted:

If you have to break-in electronic equipment wouldn't it make most sense to buy used?

Did you miss the bit where the break-in period is like an hour at a decent volume? Unless you're suggesting I follow people home from Best Buy and try to purchase their sound systems after they've listened to a couple of Justin Timberlake CDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I only really notice differences between high bitrate, really high bitrate, and lossless when I'm listening to classical music, or something else with a fairly wide dynamic range. On modern music where everything is one volume all of the time and the instruments are just sonic mud, 192 and FLAC are impossible to tell apart. If you're listening to Vivaldi or Schubert you can definitely pick up a distinct improvement in the timbre of the instruments at a higher bitrate, because that stuff gets recorded as it's actually played (e.g. there's an actual wide variation in the volume and pitch of the instruments and cutting off the high and low ends of the spectrum actually dulls the sound).

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

KozmoNaut posted:

I know, and I hate that mastering techs are basically being forced into murdering the dynamics for the sake of radio, something you guys are more than capable of doing yourselves, probably with better results.

I wish they would master the originals as good as possible, with rich dynamics and a full sound and let the end users (radio etc.) make the final adjustments to fit their usage profile. After all, you can always further compress a track, but it's impossible to "uncompress" it.

It's not like they don't already make separate radio cuts of songs anyway. One really egregious one lately is Some Nights by Fun. There's a spot where he holds a note on the word "lie" for about 15 seconds on the album, and on the radio they just chop it out super awkwardly without even bothering to blend it, meaning you can actually hear the rest of the track skip cadence. If they're going to send that crap out to be played on the radio, I don't understand why they can't re-process that from a real master that goes onto the CD or iTunes.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Khablam posted:

Like most headphones, they'll lack mid and high response until they've been broken in a little. Giving them a test in Best-buy probably isn't really fair, especially when you consider the sound-floor is probably a lot higher than you'd realise as well.

I find beats to be ridiculous, overpriced fashion accessories, but they're not bad in any way.

As for the above multi-page thing about compressed ranges, it's been my understanding that "what worked for radio works for earbuds" is pretty much the reason you're still seeing it happen - you won't hear all the music walking down the road if its not compressed, so they compress a lot of it.
For instance, if I listen to Die Moldau walking down the road with earbuds, I can barely hear the score for the first 5 minutes whereas this is perfectly audible in a quiet room. A lot of people vastly underestimate the effect of sound floor on music playback.

But if I need to compress the audio in this way, it should be something I do via EQ on my player, not how the music comes out of the box. Everybody consumes music digitally now. There's no reason not to give people pristine copies and let them pick the "it's fuckin' noisy out here" preset on their iPod or whatever to apply any compression they find necessary.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Khablam posted:

Well, this isn't the case, is it? Your home HiFi has all that kinda stuff, whereas your portable player doesn't - in a large part because you don't want to be adjusting the EQ settings for everything that hits your playlist when you're walking down the street.

Pop music is always going to be processed to sound best to the people who listen to it, and these people don't WANT to care about setting the right EQ to make the music right; they just want to press play and listen to the song they like.

I'd be inclined to say that for the most part, the people who care don't listen to music that is overly compressed, and the people who don't care, do.

You act like I can't possibly like pop music and orchestral arrangements at the same time.

There's got to be a technological solution. Maybe an audio format that includes some kind of compression profile in the file header. Portable devices could read the compression profile and do all of the EQ automatically when the track begins. Higher-quality systems would just ignore the compression profile.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Blistex posted:

Any science wizards care to explain if there is any difference between a brand new cable that has never been used, a cable that has had 1 second of sound played through it, and a cable with 300 hours of sound played through it. Is there some manner of subtle change to it at the molecular, atomic, or even sub-atomic level? Any at all?

It's more that things like speakers actually do have a burn in period, and stupid people make the "logical" leap that if speakers need to burn in, the rest of their audio equipment does too.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

88h88 posted:

I've never known a band be able to EQ themselves properly. "I'm lead guitar, I should be louder than everyone else by a large margin!" It's usually the bass player that gets a raw deal and he usually doesn't know how to set his tone properly anyway... "I play bass so the bass knob on my amp is turned way up because bass, right?!" and the end result is the guitarist being loud as gently caress, the drummer trying to go louder and the bass player just kicking out a fuckton of midrange and the entire thing sounds poo poo.

:(

Why do you hate punk rock? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

grack posted:

Hey, where else are all those people with degrees in Creative Writing supposed to find jobs (outside of Starbucks)?

We're all software developers.