Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Ultimate Mango posted:

Somehow I got on the physical mailing like for Mapleshade. The only thing I figure is that Headfi sold my name and address, which is extra strange since they don't have my address. But nevertheless I received a catalog, addressed to me, at my correct address. :tinfoil:

WTF is going on here? : http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EDRIC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Philthy posted:

"fluffing"

I didn't even read that part. Is it bad that I'm now imagining a bunch of audiophiles crawling around on the floor trying to give their AV cables blowjobs? 'Cause the more text you read, the worse it gets.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I could swear that it's actually a Goon-run site.

A site that was founded on a dare to see how much absolute crap they could push and still get audiophiles to buy stuff.

I mean, come on - the "fluffing" bit has to be a dead giveaway, right?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Pilsner posted:

Great thread, just read all of it. I never knew about audiophile power cables until this thread. I found this picture of one of those garden hose power cables, which is connected via a standard extension cable, then into a regular-ish power outlet, which has a normal thin cable going to a socket... what exactly do they think this magic cable can do after the current has passed through all the standard wires? Not to mention the tiny wire in their household fuse and standard power cabling in their home.

"Thinking" rarely has anything to do with these sorts of questions.

A better word would be "rationalize".

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Blistex posted:

Any science wizards care to explain if there is any difference between a brand new cable that has never been used, a cable that has had 1 second of sound played through it, and a cable with 300 hours of sound played through it. Is there some manner of subtle change to it at the molecular, atomic, or even sub-atomic level? Any at all?

No.

Just, no.

Honestly, if I could come up with a decent pseudo-scientific answer I'd be running my own massive online scam audiophile website already.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I'm gonna start a trepanning service for audiophiles.

"Worried about your non-standard ears degrading the pure audio quality you've achieved with your sound system? No more! Now you can absorb sound directly in to your brain!"

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

Actually the answer is "no, and even if it did it wouldn't make a difference in the sound".

Well, yeah, but how am I supposed to charge stupid people $43/foot for single strand copper wire with 10 cent RCA connectors on the ends with that answer?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The Locator posted:

What model are these?

I'd guess FX40s, which aren't bad at all.

I wouldn't say "better than 500-600 headphones", but not bad.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Personal preference doesn't count as proof for anything.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Wild EEPROM posted:

One time, I bought a Virtual Dynamics cable. And cable feet.

:eng99:

It's okay buddy. Posting here is the first step to redemption.

The next step, unfortunately, is us making fun of you.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

something_clever posted:

Since there isn't an Crazy Old Rich Guys Awesome Audio Systems Thread I thought I would post this here:

Here's a "nice" horn system:

Watch him go on vacation and a couple of meth heads break in to his house and sell the whole thing for scrap metal.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The owner of Blue Jeans Audio is the guy who pretty well told Monster to gently caress off when Monster sent them a cease and desist letter when the latter was in their litigious phase.

I recall that the whole thing ended up as a pretty big public humiliation for Monster.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

I don't generally pay a lot of attention to Audiogon these days but this caught my eye: http://hub.audiogon.com/amarra-symphony/

How about a $500 "high end" music player for your Mac that's likely a frontend for iTunes anyway? The switch to file-based listening must have been a great boon for audiophile companies now that they don't even have to actually manufacture something.

e: also I like the conspicuously placed AC/DC track with the stupid "Best of" Mozart tracks. We are smart and cultured but we know how to rock and be cool too guys!!! :downsgun:

If it works and they sell some copies, all the more power to them.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Crossposting from the new headphone thread, I give you Can Openers: http://www.madscientist-audio.com/canopeners/

Magical stickers for your headphones! Seriously, stickers.

We can't quite figure out if it's a piss take or a "serious" product yet.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Over half of that site is written like a terrible parody i'd badly make up on the spot (for fucks sake, their "How do they work?" section :psyduck:), right down to the "mad scientists" name, so i really want to believe it's a clumsy punchline being driven into the ground.

Except for the part where they apparently sell their joke for real loving money ($399, you save $170!) and have some "only one refund per customer" (is that even legal?) policy...

They sent Midorka a sample to review...

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Philthy posted:

Thread has come full circle. People making fun of people buying Nordost cables for $5,000 when they could just go buy a BJC for $35. Now people buying the $35 cables are being made fun of for not buying $1 cables.

Umm, if it had come "full circle" we'd be now making fun of the people buy $1 cables because they didn't buy $5,000 Nordost ones.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Would've carried more weight without the spelling mistake

grack fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 16, 2013

grack
Jan 10, 2012

TomR posted:

I was looking for a local place to pick up a volume control pot and I found this:http://www.partsconnexion.com/bybee_purifiers.html

Now I'm not sure I trust them enough to buy a volume knob from them.

I do appreciate that they crossed out the original price, and then displayed the exact same price next to it, just bolded.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I was on Head-Fi reading the IEM discovery thread because there's been some interesting new headphones released from KEF and Onkyo and then they started talking about cables and then someone said he was waiting for his cable to properly burn in and then :eng99:

Just when you think there might be a useful, interesting thread boom, right back to the stupidity.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

That's okay. There's a thread on head-fi right now talking burning in cables for 400 hours. Not like, speaker cable, headphone cable. From an iPod.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

The thing I find really odd is that none of these tweaks are ever perceived as detrimental to the sound. It's always more expensive = better sound.

This despite the fact that Op Amp "upgrades" in headphones amps have proven detrimental to output.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I thought this was a great post from Head-Fi today:

quote:

Originally Posted by earfonia View Post

Do you have both FRD80 and FXD80? Have you used both over a long period of time?

I have FRD80 since December 2012, and 2 units of FXD80 for about 4-5 months. Before I bought FXD80, FRD80 was my daily IEM for about 7 months... I use it daily, so I'm quite familiar with the sound. After I bought FXD80, now it become my daily IEM, I have used it for more than 4 months now.
My FXD80 does sound a bit different than my FRD80. I can tell which one is which blindly. Not only me, I also ask my friend who is a sound engineer, he also can tell the difference. The FRD80 is a bit (A BIT) more V shape compared to the FXD80.

But not only FXD80 sounds a little different than FRD80. So far I've tested 4 units of FXD80, when my friends asked me to help them to buy it from Amazon, and let me tested it. All the 4 units of FXD80 also have slight differences in sounds signature... manufacturing inconsistency ? Maybe. So maybe it is not about FRD and FXD, maybe it is just manufacturing of the drivers. I test them together with my friend, and he also confirm that he heard differences between the FXD80s. Anyway, there is no guarantee that same drivers all sound the same, there is manufacturing tolerance that makes them sounds a bit different. I also experienced it with my UE TF10 compared to my brother UE TF10, a slight different that trained audiophile ears can detect. The differences is just a little, but discernible.

I would say don't worry too much with the differences, it's just a little. If you need microphone, get the FRD80. If you don't need the microphone, get the FXD80.

PS: He's talking about the FRD80 and FXD80, headphones from JVC that differ only in that one has a microphone, and one doesn't. Same driver, same housing, same impedance, same sensitivty, etc. But hey, apparently "trained audiophile ears" can hear differences that don't exist.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Neurophonic posted:

Ignoring the audiophile ears bullshit, his conclusion that tolerances in manufacturing may account for minor changes in sound is pretty rational. Of course the same can also be said of his tiredness, wax buildup, background noise, etc etc, so it's hardly empirical, but still a lot more reasonable than most.

Oh, I understand that but the "trained audiophile ears" and "my friend is totally a sound engineer and he agrees with me" were more than enough for me to ignore whatever remotely rational poo poo he posted.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

This may signal my lack of audiophile "breeding" or whatever, but what the gently caress is grip?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Double-postin' up in this mother.

This isn't audiophile woo-woo as such, but very related.

I bring you HDMI cables with virus protection!

http://www.zdnet.com/this-xbox-hdmi-cable-has-anti-virus-protection-7000001601/

Hm...

quote:

Gizmodo asks if there are any people in this world "so stupidly stupid as to believe that a virus may attack your video cables and cause noise."

I see a business opportunity!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Hey, where else are all those people with degrees in Creative Writing supposed to find jobs (outside of Starbucks)?

Edit: Also, no, don't replace the caps with audiophile bullshit. Marantz put a helluva lot of time and money in R+D and it's not unreasonable to suggest that their original circuit design is quite capable. At the very least you'll notice no improvements, at worst you'll introduce audible distortion.

grack fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 17, 2014

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Byolante posted:

From reading that thread on the power cable I am left confused. People saying that having their home insurance voided is ok as long as they have a wider sound stage is kinda mental, but then a guy starts talking about wrapping his cables in aluminium foil to improve the sound quality dramatically. I would have marked him down as a troll but he was very enthusiastic about cables of all sorts for most of the thread. Is that thread representitive of normal audiophile behaviour or is it an edge case?

"Psychoacoustics"

"Sighted listening"

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Today's gold from Head-Fi

quote:

Originally Posted by drbluenewmexico View Post

even easy to drive oems like the Pistons respond to the benefit of amping. its not about how loud or powerful the sound is but that the amp helps resolve the
integrity of the sound, the tone and rhythm and cohesiveness. it can be a subtle change and not worth it if your talking pocket portable status, but it can also be
very dramatic like with the Pistons.

Can someone tell me what "preserving the integrity of rhythm" is supposed to mean?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm just angry that I'm not in on the cable racket.

Just think, you could go to the hardware store and get some lamp cord, decent-looking connectors, a bit of garden hose, some fancy-looking wrapping and hot glue, and you can make 500% profit on selling power cords to idiotic audiophiles!

(I'm sure there are rules and regulations for power cords, though. So it may be best to stick with speaker wire and "interconnects")

Don't forget to stick 'em in your freezer for a couple of hours so you can claim they're "cryo treated"

grack
Jan 10, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

That's pretty much the correct reaction for any sane person when confronted with audiophilia.

Unfortunately, a lot of people are (sometimes willfully) ignorant about the absolute basics of how the world around them functions, and a lot of them even appear to have some sort of aversion to actually learning stuff.

It is, however, fun to go and read a few of the more insane threads every one in a while just to see how deep that rabbit hole goes.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

It's us.

We're the ridiculous audiophiles.

Can I interest you in a bag of quartz pebbles, or some acoustically inert caulking? Perhaps some silicone potholders vibration dampeners?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

So why doesn't their logic of having imaginary bullshit have a noticeable affect on digital data being processed ever get applied to photography? Better gear makes for better display of your digital camera photos.

But then I think that there are probably are sperg-nerds who spend thousands on various displays and such, so never mind.

It's much, much, MUCH easier to objectively judge visual media. The comparison doesn't really work.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I'm confused. Where's the :420: storage located?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah, aren't their headphones supposed to be relatively good? The speakers are generally awful because they're obsessed with getting everything as small as possible, and that's usually at a cost of quality.

Sure, but they're still massively overpriced

grack
Jan 10, 2012

KillHour posted:

New game: Take :techno: from video games / movies and turn them into audiophile products.

Points are awarded for correctly guessing the game / movie the reference came from. You automatically win if you manage to sell a product based on that description for >$50.

Deus Ex

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

So just for the sake of it? I'd figure the tiny drivers in in-ears can cover the frequency spectrum just fine?

It comes from the idea that using multiple drivers tuned for different frequency responses is more effective than a single driver. In a broad sense, think of using a tweeter and a woofer in a cabinet instead of only full-range drivers.

It's really more popular with balanced armatures as BAs have traditionally had a harder time with a wide frequency response than dynamics due to having a much smaller diaphragm. The results have borne out the method to this point - multi-BA setups generally show advantages over single-BA designs.

However, as time goes on BAs are getting better at covering the entire frequency range and dynamics are getting better at reproducing detail.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

cremnob posted:

post the audio sperg reactions to apple buying beats itt

Has this actually been verified?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Qwijib0 posted:

Being a copywriter for one of these sites must be amazing.

They just load them up on LSD and give a list of words that have to go in the write ups.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

TheMadMilkman posted:

There was a guy on avsforum who had one of those installed a number of years back. He had also excavated under his garage's foundation to build his theatre, so over-the-top was kind of his thing. He said that when he had it all the way up the first time, he had a few neighbors wondering if there was an earthquake.

This man is now a supervillain, yes?

I mean earthquake machine, it kind of follows.

And it would be a step up from being an audiophile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Sanctified? Did they get a really, really small priest to bless all of the cabling?