Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I found it very interesting that there was exactly one component that was described as being actually used by professional sound technicians.

And that is the noise dampening casing for the whole apparatus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Right, that's my point - the vinyl presumably has the recording on it in a constant angular velocity, and if it rotates at a constant speed the vertical deviations will change the speed of the needle on top of the material as the relative surface normal changes, resulting in a non-constant playback speed.
I think that only happens with an aging or cheap player. Or an unusually bent record.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I got that same catalog. I like the cd player with "...a new version of our proprietary Double Virtual Earth Balanced filter topology with Bessel Coefficients resulting in even greater musicality."

It's been a long time since I studied the physics of music but I'm pretty sure any sound that can be measured can be analyzed and transformed to have Bessel coefficients.
I suppose he means this kind of Bessel coefficients : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessel_filter
It is is something measureable and something that actually makes sense to do. In fact it makes so much sense, that this part is about as informative as saying this thing uses electricity.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I can't understand how a cable noise issue could cause a specific pattern of video problem, such as dark blue turning black. As I understand it, if you had so much noise that the ADC couldn't reliably tell 1 from 0 anymore, you'd expect to see random flipped bits, which would in turn cause decoder errors, and thus create pixellation and splotches. It would be awfully weird if the noise was only affecting the handful of low-order 1 bits that made the difference between blue and black, but not the high order bits, or the low order blue and red bits, or whatever. Is there something in the wire protocol for DVI that would do that?
That is a matter of software. The video transfer standards are set up so that they degrade gracefully.
So if a block is too degraded to extract the data then it gets switched to black or blue or a lower bandwidth parallel signal if such is supported.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Jago posted:

What's pre-ringing? Is that an actual thing that actually happens with modern hardware? lovely mp3's?

This product is really obviously designed to make money with their music downloading service.
I think pre-ringing is just a stupid name for pre-echo.
Pre-echo occurs with all DCT-based lossy encodings. It is also not noticeable for most kinds of music. But it is the main reason why you should encode classical music as loss-less.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

jhcain posted:

First off, I'm no Quaker. Those hats mess up my hair.

Where am I demonstrating a mastery of the quack? I'd like to know, honestly.

I'm also not seeing an error in logic. Is it my threat to replace one bit of gear with an updated one?

And switching power supplies do create electrical noise. Yes, that noise can be suppressed with appropriate design and filtering (and it's more than just a capacitor, it includes careful selection of the switching frequency for the application, as well as filtering and shielding.) Or, you could just swap it for a linear supply and not think about it any more. Seems reasonable enough to me. Is that illogical? The only step I may have missed would be taking the time to test the wall wart included with the device to see just how good it was or wasn't. But, instead, I swapped it out. Illogical?
The problem is that this is just wrong. If you use a linear supply you still have exactly the same interference as long as there are any switching power supplies feeding back in your house's cabling.
Also your digital devices make their own similar noise.

If someone wants to put in shielding in a way that actually impacts measurements they isolate the analog parts and leave the digital parts and power supply in a shared shielding region.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I've seen markov chain output with more common sense and technical expertise. Although i guess that's a slovenian site, so i hope they just used google translate to create this abomination.
It seems to be translated from German.

And what they are doing seems to be vaguely based on an actually existing technique to increase tensile strength.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

We recently moved our surface profiler to another lab. It is a piece of equipment that is somewhat similar to a record player. It normally rests on a big granite plate in order to reduce vibrations.

Operating it without the granite increased vibrations measurably, of course.
But the increase in vibrations was less then what we get when we turn on some music in the lab. We normally don't need that much accuracy. So as long as there is some music playing the granite plate is pretty much useless.

So to sum up:
If you are thinking about buying a granite plate, instead you should move your record player to a different, quieter room. :science: Or you could just not play any sounds in order to preserve the perfect hifi environment.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

taqueso posted:

In industrial manufacturing, they will sometimes place equipment on isolated concrete pads with their own foundation separate from the rest of the building. Maybe that could be a thing for audiophiles.
For large equipment like a real mill is probably true. But for gear with small heads like a record player, a surface profiler or even a substrate mill your music will overpower the foundation based vibration.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The new op mostly needs links to the other audio threads, and an explanation on what the differences are.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

an update on this is that apparently some audiophiles think 100mbps switches sound better because gigabit switches need more powerful processors, which introduce more noise into the signal chain or something, which is just to say that the "sell old network hubs to audiophiles" thing would totally work

I recently ordered an usb to ethernet dongle from ali, and got a 10mbit one. Could I resell that to an audiophile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

olives black posted:

Has anyone done a good A/B of FLAC vs. 320/192 MP3s in a while? I vaguely remember someone doing one where they coded up a simple Windows GUI app so that they could toggle between the sources on a particular song - thought it might have been on SA, maybe it was elsewhere. IIRC the diffs between 192 and FLAC were rare, and diffs between 320 and FLAC were nonexistent.

Yes, and the diffs between 320 mp3 and 128 opus are also rare. So why are you wasting bandwidth?