Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Rescue Toaster posted:

he claimed that the same CD ripped using EAC would result in different sounding wave files depending on if it was ripped with any old drive and a fancy blu ray burner....
It's technically possible to end up with different files from an audio CD ripped using different drives because different drives can rip with different offsets, basically you can end up with the start and end point of the tracks in slightly different places (were talking like 50 samples/1 millisecond here).

You will see offset compensation settings if you look hard enough in EAC's drive settings, and though you may wonder what the point is, it can matter on a mixed CD if you rip some tracks on one drive and some on another (you may end up with a click between tracks).

Your friend's an idiot though, even if the files had a diffent checksum (that they didn't surprises me) it will just be the offset and the files won't sound any different on their own though unless you are ripping a badly scratched CD and one drive copes better than the other (I have an old Teac 32 speed CDROM drive which is excellent for this, can take hours to rip though. I also recently built a PC for a mate with an IDE LG DVD burner which I found was excellent for EAC CD ripping - EAC reported it doesn't internally cache but does report C2 error info - this is the best case scenario for EAC, and it ripped even fairly scratched CD's fast).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

evobatman posted:

Wouldn't this also be true with the cheap on-board SPDIF?
Yes, something a lot of people overlook (and something soundcard makers probably owe a fair amount of sales to) is that pretty much every motherboard made in the last 3 or so years has SPDIF out (I've got a gigabyte micro ATX mobo that was bottom of the barrel when I bought it over 2 years ago and it does). It may be found as a (typically 3 pin) header on the mobo instead of as a coax port on the backpanel, but this isn't much of a problem when making an adaptor is easy, and the only parts required is some sort of cable that will fit onto the header (ie: $2 CDROM audio cable) which will be hacked up to connect to a coax port of some sort, the pinout for the header can probably be found in the motherboard manual.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Try to tell that the people, that judge audio compression techniques by looking at what remains (Original minus Decompressed) and how the spectrum looks like, instead of just listening to it. I'm sure there's a decently large cross-section with the audiophile bunch. :v:
Doubt it, the former group relies on objectively measuring differences (then mis-using the results), the latter seems to reject the idea of making those kinds of measurements in the first place (ie: "DBT-Free Forum" on Head-Fi).

In my opinion a lot of this idiocy (and those profiting from it) stems from the simple mentality of "more expensive must be better" which some people apply when they don't understand (or feel it's beyond their capability to understand) how to make an objective comparison. I know one guy who has a Monster HDMI cable that he payed over $100 for, he's definitely not someone who can afford to be throwing that kind of money down the drain and I'm pretty sure he was just trying to get the best out of his new TV when he decided against buying the $15 alternative. Take someone with more cash and wasting thousands instead of hundreds in a misguided attempt to get the best becomes a possibility.

In addition I think a lot of them (especially the forum posting sort) just want to brag about how expensive their system is, and at the ridiculous end of the scale it pretty much requires buying bullshit because there are no cables that actually deliver tens of thousands of dollars worth of improvement.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Khablam posted:

When people think of this, however, they're thinking of a 128CBR MP3 they downloaded on Napster in 1999.
I remember how bad some of the MP3 encoders were back then (when lame being used was the exception rather than the rule).

The one that I remember to this day is "xing" - it was really popular due to several easy to use programs using it, unfortunately it spat out mp3's that were often so badly distorted they were actually uncomfortable to listen to through headphones/earphones at all but the lowest of volume levels. Bitrate made no difference either.

Things are a lot better now, though I will say that I can still hear the difference between a lame encoded 128kbps mp3 and -V 3 VBR pretty easily in most songs, not that the 128kbps mp3 is bad, but the difference is there and you don't need the best of audio gear to hear it (I personally have a lot more trouble trying hear the difference between -V 3 and the source, most of the time I cant).