Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Ron Burgundy posted:

In my opinion, in many ways Bose and Apple Computer are quite similar....The build quality is acceptable, but with a little know-how you could find something better for the price.

This was a loooong time ago, but I remember reading a piece where the non-insane writer disassembled a Bose Wave Radio (possibly the Acoustimass stuff too, can't remember) and he couldn't believe how cheap and low quality the materials were. He said it was about what you would expect to see in a $100 Aiwa boombox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Mister Kingdom posted:

NINE THOUSAND DOLLARS!

Somewhere Barnum is laughing his dead rear end off.

Were you not paying attention?

quote:

Pride of ownership? Off the chart.

You can't put a price on that.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

This is how old I am. I bought that when it came out. On 8-track. Despite having not heard it in decades, I had the thing virtually memorized, I can't imagine how many times I must have listened to it.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

And aside from that, I've seen tests done with no ABX box, where they physically switched the cables between components and of course, no difference was detected.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

88h88 posted:

I'm not quite sure how you can own something and still not be allowed to do whatever you want with it.

As was said earlier, by telling the owner, "If you do that, you'll be off the super special person Ferrari buying list forever."

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

quote:

parasitic resonances

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

RoadCrewWorker posted:

The Onion is pretty good and Clickventures are the best game genre of 2015

Clickhole is insanely good. I think I've listened to the "Original theme music from Jaws" a dozen times.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Stupid question: Lots of people have said that doing a proper room treatment is far more valuable than any of the snake oil (or even legitimate equipment). So what should you look for when you want legitimate, good bang for the buck wall treatments and such? Obviously I can do a Google search and come up with plenty of links to people selling this stuff, but I have no idea which materials I should look for or what prices are reasonable.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Thanks for all the replies! My planned room has some oddities but should work out.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

quote:

BeoLab 90 is fitted with Bang & Olufsen’s new Active Room Compensation technology

KozmoNaut posted:

Oh, and a set costs $75,000.

I think there's another type of compensation at work for their target customer.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Ridicule audiophiles: Our Verve is Dynamic

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

KillHour posted:

"I'm good at x, therefore I'm incredibly smart at all things" is a common issue with extremely specialized careers. See also: Ben Carson.

More than 20 years ago I watched a documentary on PBS about a neurosurgeon who helped people with incurable and massive seizures. The show had him working with a family whose little girl almost couldn't live because the seizures were so frequent and debilitating. The treatment was a hemispherectomy, they literally cut out a massive portion of the brain. It had negative consequences but overall fixed the issue. I remember being blown away by the doctor's intelligence and skill.

Decades later I see this cartoonishly stupid idiot named Ben Carson getting lots of time on TV and HOLY poo poo IT"S THAT BRILLIANT GUY I SAW A LONG TIME AGO. WHAT THE gently caress.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

This is my Realizer from a German company called Kochenballz. Best $4k I've ever spent.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

My friend across the street had the Atari 400 with a cassette drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

DancingShade posted:

Just build your house inside a giant subwoofer and be done with it. I guess you'll need to be next door to your own private substation for that magical clean power though so might want to build one of those too.

That makes me wonder if audiophiles are going for solar power. Imagine, your electricity doesn't have to flow through all that filthy commoner wiring before it mates with your precious gear. Now you can control the purity of the power all the way into your system. And the music would have to sound warmer if the gear is powered by the sun.