Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Alan_Shore posted:

Why is the PS1 held up as an amazing CD player but not the superior Sega Saturn?

I think it was the dac in the ps1 that was coveted for some reason, not the actual sound processor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

people with a lot of money buy high impedance headphones that regular devices can't drive properly, so they have to spend more money on a separate amplifier. then you get people walking around with stuff like this

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I don't understand his sudden hate for compressed digital audio, which is the highest quality it has ever been in history. Why wasn't he championing against cassettes when they were the #1 selling portable format? A format that's arguably the worst sounding mass produced format in history (besides maybe 8 track). Of course there's no point in trying to figure out his logic, you can't reason with crazy.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

gŁnkabel

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

They're probably tapping into the Xbox/PlayStation's media player API for that.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I'm legitimately sad that physical media is dropping out fashion. Streaming is fine, until there's a licensing dispute with a particular label, or a band decides to favor one service over another, then suddenly all your favourite band's albums disappear over night. And no thank you, I am not subscribing to 2 or 3 different services so I can fill in the gaps.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I got the Pioneer ~Andrew Jones~ designed wifi speaker A4 or whatever it's called (now discontinued). The bass is way too loving loud and boomy and sounds like poo poo. I had to stuff a towel in the rear bass port to make it tolerable, but the mids and highs are also really muddy and bad. I have no idea who this loving andrew jones clown is but he can't design speakers for poo poo.

Never heard any of his passive speakers from pioneer though.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

A pretty good indicator of white van stuff besides all of the obvious parking lot red flags is that the box won't have any official logos for HDMI, Dolby, etc. It will just say some bullshit like "HD Surround Sound". I see them still in box at thrift stores from time to time, and the staff is usually unaware of the real value themselves and will price them at $100-200 because they don't know better.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

It's doing so much insane post processing to the sound, isn't that basically kryptonite for audiophiles?

also:

:catdrugs:

And from the Creative CEO:

quote:

Target audience? Me.

His admission that it's insane and he just wanted to make the most absurd and expensive piece of equipment possible makes it somehow forgivable.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 6, 2017

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

qirex posted:

If I was going to design my "dream gear" I sure as hell could do better than 3" drivers, even when they make halo gear it's still whatever bits they have a bunch of in the warehouse.

but you can hook up 4 subwoofers to it

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I can't find it now, but there's an interview with Wayne Coyne about The Flaming Lips' album Zaireeka. It was released on four CDs, each of which were supposed to be played simultaneously on four separate CD players with varying adjustments made to the volume and panning (at the listener's whim). He said something about discovering that CD players were not all that precise as they thought, because while the band was demoing the album they would press play simultaneously, but by the end the players were all noticeably out of sync with each other by a few seconds. I am guessing the time span was across the entire album, not just one song though.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

metallicaeg posted:

Okay, but if you're a normal person listening to a single CD, 5 seconds off of a 90 minute run is .09%. Hardly something to get your pantaloons so ruffled that you're going to replace parts in your player.

But then again if everyone was normal we wouldn't have this thread full of $500 USB cables.

Oh, I agree, its negligible and most people would never notice or care, including me. But it's measurable.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Absolutely true. Not audiophile by any means but I bought one of those Pioneer A2 Airplay speakers a while back. The one that the wirecutter was raving over a few years ago, designed by ~andrew jones~. The thing was so insanely bass heavy it sounded ridiculous. Stuffing the rear port fixed it right up.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Mister Kingdom posted:

Techmoan reviews the Spinbox cardboard turntable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEkj4BVaD0s

He doesn't even try to hide his disdain.

This would actually be cool and educational if it was 1/5 the cost.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

He hasn't even burned in the speaker cables for the recommended 50,000 hours.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I wish this guy was trolling but I am certain he is not

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

AlexDeGruven posted:

Well, that WAS a gorgeous piece of wood.

actually it looked like a giant piece of poo poo before and after it was turned. it was basically a big tree tumor and i cant imagine it's inconsistencies in "grain" would do very well for the acoustics either.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Between age 22 and 32 I have remained around 16-17 khz which seems fine to me.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Palladium posted:

Burn-in aka how to make sure the mark keeps their bought POS until their refund/CC chargeback window closes.

ding ding ding

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

crosspost from yospos

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

They are taking visual characteristics of the metals and are trying to apply them to audio. They have such a thin understanding of science, it's all they can manage to describe.

If I wanted to make up some bullshit about how different metals affect audio signals, I'd talk about molecular density and other chemistry bullshit. Not "sheen" because gold is shiny.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

lmao

quote:

Due to Audio Note (UK)'s ongoing research and development program, specifications are subject to change without notice.

"you might get something in this ballpark. we don't know lol. it's hard to make consistent products"

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Thorens TD 160 owner here.

Take the belt off and try spinning the platter and count how long it takes to stop. It obviously depends how hard you spin it, but it should keep going for 45 seconds to a minute or longer. If not, you'll need to lube the spindle.

I'd get a replacement belt anyway because a stretched belt can affect the speed ever so slightly.

The Grace F-9 is supposedly an amazing cartridge, and I don't know how old yours is, but it might be time to replace the stylus. Unfortunately they look very expensive (like $300-500).

It has a tracking force of 1.2 grams. You can use the built in gauge but I would get a small scale just to be sure. Set the anti-skate to the same.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

you could make bespoke speaker cable wraps with that

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

why do people want to digitize their old records? I can't imagine the average person has that many vinyl-only releases that have not already been available on CD or whatever other digital format for decades by this point. The only reason not to buy it on a new digital format is if your time is worthless.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

still good as hell

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

taqueso posted:

Glad you included option 2. Far too many people say digital is only 1 or 3 but lots of digital protocols can run degraded silently or where many people don't look like logs. So your SATA 666gbps link might run at SATA 1 speeds if your cable sucks and you aren't benching or being a nerd.

This is true but the important thing to note is that a garbage signal doesnít reduce quality the way that audiophools think it does.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

He seemed pretty level headed in the beginning, but that amp/speaker cost ratio thing destroyed it all.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I just don't like the feeling of stuff wedged in my ears.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Lossy compression throws away higher frequencies so technically it does reduce dynamic range. Again, not trying to defend his other nonsense. But it's clear why people keep grasping onto these arguments.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I run equipment with older caps daily. If they havenít blown by now theyíre probably just a little off spec but otherwise fine

Iím not anti-recapping but itís not the end of the world if you donít as long as the equipment is working fine, not running too hot or distorted or anything else obviously wrong

Edit: also the specs of the Sony canít be directly compared because they used to measure wattage differently 40 years ago. I would agree that $100 is too much considering you can get a modern amp with modern conveniences for $50 more.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 18, 2020

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

they're doing it for video, just a matter of time until it's done for audio (if not already)

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

"RD-3 makes a further effect by combined use with our Negative-Ion generator RIO-5II. "

Our WHAT?

http://www.acoustic-revive.com/english/cd_dvd/rio-5.html

quote:

Place the CD and DVD etc. on top of RIO-5 II, and press the red button. This will run the electric fan about for 8 seconds, which irradiates the surface with natural negative ions on to the disc.

Other than negative ions, RIO-5 II also emits infrared rays which activate the surface of the disc and improves the transmission of the laser beam to the disc.

After treating both sides of a disc, the sound and picture quality will be dramatically improved. S/N ratio and dynamic range are improved and all instruments and vocals become vivid fresh. On the picture, it gives depth and excellent color contrast. Incidentally, a higher effect is provided when you use RIO-5II together with the audio demagnetizer RD-3.

Ridicule Audiophiles - all instruments and vocals become vivid fresh

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I got a Marantz CD-46 for $15 and I was googling the DAC to find a bunch of audiophiles talking about oversampling being bad and stair steps in the audio signal etc etc. Anyway what is the normal-person consensus on oversampling CD players? Apparently it's DAC doesn't oversample which is why the nuts are drawn to it, which immediately makes me think that oversampling is good and cool.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

TheMadMilkman posted:

who cares? Buy what looks cool, makes you happy, and you can easily afford.

I think that Marantz probably fits all 3.

Exactly, I've done far worse for $15. I mostly just wanted something to match my Marantz receiver and tape deck, even though it's not silver faced.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Afaik it allows you to do more digital signal processing with less noise (a higher sample rate effectively drops the noise floor)

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Combat Pretzel posted:

I still swear on internal soundcards.

Yeah get an Asus Xonar and call it a day

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

KozmoNaut posted:

If you do want something external that doesn't take up table space and you have USB-C ports, get one of these: https://www.meizu.com/en/accessory/hifipro.html

Miniaturization is crazy. Makes me wonder if itís possible to make a ďdigitalĒ phono cartridge with built in riaa eq and a dac.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

education =/= intelligence

edit: worst page snipe ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I know a lot of people who really like music and movies and want it to sound "good" in their home.
Can you guess how many of those people can be loving bothered to jump into the world of audio gear? Absolutely zero. They would rather get a sound bar that fits their budget and be done with it.

We have broken minds, this is why we buy and care about audio equipment.