Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002
I LOVE THE WHITE STRIPES!

I work on computers and ran into a modded Corsair PSU for AUDIOPHILE USES!
Behold:

Those pieces of poo poo are metal plating wrapped in some kind of tape.. the edges were shoved into the circuit board causing the PSU to short out within seconds of booting. FANTASTIC!

Nevermind this firehazard was used to power a EVGA SR-X dual LGA 2011 workstation/server mobo.. which has coil whine and you can hear electrical chatter with the naked ear.. a totally perfect computer system for an audiophile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

Nyquist theorem. All that jazz is basically not audible. It gets worse as you get older. Fools that don't understand this end up buying into a lot of hype.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

grack posted:

I can hear nearly to 21k at 36. It's not a benefit, trust me.

No you can't.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

iospace posted:

You know what I realized would actually be a legit use for those Bose neck speaker things?

Bicycles. As they are classified as vehicles in most jurisdictions, you are not allowed to wear headphones while riding them (though that law is never realistically enforced). Boom, solution!

(I'm still not buying them)

I got some cheapo Amazon bone conduction phones for that purpose. The quality isn't great but its kind of neat to have the sound of inside your head.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

Are Grados a thing anymore? I have no idea if they are comparable to new agey stuff. It does look like they came out with a crappy IEM.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

existential anger posted:

From Ken Ball, owner of ALO and Campfire Audio:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/campfire-solaris.891180/page-257#post-14818557

Summary of the Solaris drama:
- One individual noticed several Campfire Audio Solaris IEMs sounding different and found huge product variation (like 10dB worth of differences at 4khz between two samples) in the Solaris samples he listened to.
- Thread loses its mind, tries to blame said individual for being bad at measuring and a Sony shill.
- Ken Ball, owner of Campfire Audio, issues a statement that he’ll look into the matter. Later responds with a claim that making hybrid IEMs is hard and product variance is totally normal despite his IEMs costing $2000.
- Issue gets brought up again after all Sony IER-Z1R samples are shown to measure extremely consistently, suggesting that product variance with hybrid probably isn’t actually an acceptable thing.
- Ken Ball responds with that post, suggesting people should listen to their ears and people should stop measurementbaiting.

You know what, all the loving high end IEMs are like this. You might get a great one, you might get one thats oops 10db too hot in the 8k region. OH WELLLOL!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

Over on headfi about %70 of the men there think you can 'burn in' your headphone cable and it sounds much better.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

I'm probably missing a very obvious audiophile thing but why do windows do something for sound?

[edit] Oh nice, I found my next buy! A $190 dollar usb cable. YES
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9b77f-anticables-level-3-1-reference-series-usb-digital-interconnect-digital

redeyes fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 14, 2019

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

qirex posted:

Nothing in my mind will ever top the guy whose dog mangled his $8000 power cable and it was just a garden hose with lamp cord in it.

You can't just say something like that without a link.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

It may be funny but that dude can play thunderstorms with incredible accuracy and fidelity.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Bluetooth LC3 is the poo poo, tried it at CES

More info please.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

Neurophonic posted:

If you have a brick and mortar store then they should allow a demo in your premises, via their / your country’s returns policy.

At the very least go do side by side at the store with tracks of your own and those you know.
JBL are nice.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

Gutenburg is eh but his interviews are sometimes good like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFoCVw2AJRc

Holy god. I gotta respect that dude. It's so.. non audiophile while still being audiophile.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

You really had to post that? I threw up and now I need to lay down.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

I got a Chord Mojo to test from a friend. Its a lot of money, $400-500 for a dac/headphone amp.

I tested it.

I like my LG G7 better.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

movax posted:

I have seen the Mojo mentioned a lot but never really looked into what it was.

A Artix-7 and probably some Atmel SAM MCU... so what exactly is still doing the DAC stage? FPGA into R2R or ? Lol at its power budget / being portable.

Just put an AK4499 down and call it good.

It's an FPGA with some custom DAC function implemented. Im not that impressed especially since the internet seems to love the thing.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

repiv posted:

Their weird FPGA design does work at least, the performance is pretty good

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-chord-qutest-dac.5981/

It's just a pointlessly expensive way to go about it when conventional DAC chips perform just as well

Thats the Qutest which is not the Mojo. Muuuuch more spendy. Im sure they perform excellently on paper. I find that IEMs are more like musical instruments and require synergy with the amp device.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

Yes.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

The apple dong has some kind of problem with low volume on some computers. Hard to say.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

When autism and audiophile mix.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

the SNR on a vinyl is around what 50-60db?
LOL

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

Ive never seen a driver blow a cone before it blew the coil. I think someone slashed your speaker or soemthing.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

I feel like he is a fatass that looks at anime girls. It's amazing he doesn't get the pedo angle.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

I review iems sometimes. Feel free to trash my channel since I don't monetize anything.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHjFG6i2KZN78170BhyD8Vg/

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

I realized most DACs do not sound different whatsoever. The issue is that a lot have extra poo poo like headphone amps that can be basically anything. Opamps though, same difference. The operational amplifier CAN sound different.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

Yeah but one major benefit. Electrical isolation! loving usb noise is not a minor problem.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

Yep, agreed. Overall JBL are affordable for how good they are.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

I tried a Mojo and frankly hated it. It had a LOT of bass and very dry/uninvolving mids. It didn't sound like other normal headphone amps.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

Jeherrin posted:

Different company. Weirdly, there are two audiophile companies called Chord and they both make overpriced nonsense for idiots!

Oh! LOL. Okay, carry on with the hate.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

Darko is a typical money man audiophile. gently caress him. The RME is good since it is supposed to be used for pro-audio applications, there is no foo foo bs audiophile poo poo in it. Just excellent performance and features that work.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

TheMadMilkman posted:

The LS50 Meta is legitimately cool. Like “here’s an actual scientific advance in audio reproduction” type cool.

Plus they look cool, don’t cost too much, and look cool.

Wrong thread. This is an overpriced 5" speaker for loving 1500 Dollars. It's not an actual scientific device at all.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

they said “advance” not “device”

Well it ain't that either.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

I got a SVS PB3000 just so I could throw 20hz around:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

MQA = DRM. Nothing more. Also probably measures worse than FLAC.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

^^^ *LIKE*

I got a Burson Playmate 2 for review. It's 3w class A, USB dac. Not bad but Burson apparently doesn't know their rear end from a hole in the ground when it comes to power supplies.. they send a loving fake bullshit generic Chinese PSU that when plugged into a power strip with NOTHING ELSE made a BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ noise in my main speaker system. Unplug burson PSU and everything is fine. LOL. PSU rated for 120w according to label.. tests at about 20w at best.
Used a HP laptop power adapter and the thing works fine with zero noise.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

That's a very common misconception. A lot of PA speakers sound really drat good, like for instance the JBL SRX835, which sounds like a proper old-school BIG home loudspeaker. Yamaha, QSC, Meyer Sound Labs etc., generally all of the well-regarded manufacturers make models that would work perfectly at home, as long as you don't mind the aesthetics. Using big drivers and being able to move a lot of air gives you a sound that's hard to impossible to replicate using smaller speaker drivers and cabinets.

If your only experiences with PA speakers have been at concerts where the main objective it loudness and not much else, you really should find an opportunity to listen to a competently setup set of PA speakers in setting with recorded music.

Loudness is underrated.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

'Much like with bit depth, there is a common misconception that the higher the sample rate, the better the quality of the audio. This isn’t so. Increasing your sampling rate simply allows you to capture higher frequencies. So as long as your sample rate is high enough to capture and reproduce the highest frequency in your audio, then that frequency and everything below it can be captured and reproduced perfectly. Increasing the sample rate cannot improve it in any way.'

redeyes fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 1, 2021

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

doing that kind of random poo poo with leads will cause impedance changes and other artifacts.. probably still inaudible changes.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

Looks like an active usb extender with no long cable attached. Worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

TheMadMilkman posted:

The same reason Harleys are loud and truck design is super aggressive. It’s what boomer men want.

Yeah Man jewelry (and 3 Women). gently caress cables.