Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Twiin posted:

Occasionally one gets torn apart by someone's cat and there's a shocking(!) autopsy. But mostly you're right.

These people have cats? Don't they know how they change the acoustics?

I mean, sure, staple a dead one in the corner as a baffle in a pinch, but running around randomly absorbing sound? Not in my listening room.

And that's before you even get to their inductance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Hammer Floyd posted:

Okay...I think I'm going crazy, BUT:

Should MP3s played on my PC sound better than MP3s played on my iPod? Same file, same speakers. My iPod seems to make the speakers distort at a high volume, whereas listening to the SAME FILE on my PC doesn't seem to do it.

Am I crazy? Please tell me if I am.

You're probably not crazy. There's a lot of hardware you're switching out between the PC and the iPod, and a lot of it's analog.

You're just driving the speakers straight out of the mini stereo jack on your PC/iPod? The DACs and amps are going to be different. The PC is going to have more power available to drive the speakers, and the iPod amp is geared for driving headphones, which is generally a lot easier than driving speakers. So, not inconceivable to get worse sound out of your iPod.

Honestly, though, I'd expect the iPod to do a better job most of the time. Most integrated motherboard amps sound like poo poo because of interference and general crappiness.

To get the thread back on track: listening to digital audio directly from the on-board DAC of your iPod is an abominable travesty, and you're a horrible person unless you listen to your iPod through one of these.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Even if you can't hear the difference, lossless codecs have three things going for them that none of the "audiophile" poo poo does:

1. The files are quantifiably different from 320kb MP3 in a way that might matter someday. Hypothetically, you can imagine some awesome future encoding algorithm that works noticeably better from lossless sources than lossy sources. Though that's a longshot; AFAIK you can almost always transcode a high-bitrate MP3 into anything else and without noticeable degradation over, say, FLAC.

2. Generally lossless files take fewer cycles to decode, for what that's worth. Usually not much, just like #1. However,...

3. Storage is cheap. It still makes a difference in mobile devices, but at home, the tradeoff in using 7GB to store your music versus 70GB is splitting hairs when storage is $50-75/TB.

I keep my music at home in FLAC. It's probably overkill, but it's cheap overkill, especially compared to someone selling shiny rocks to tape to your speaker cables for $2000 to "sweeten your mids" or something.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Khablam posted:

real edit: If you mean standard phono connectors 3.5mm/6.35mm etc, then I think they are by design anyway?

I assume he means connector standards with a dedicated ground, like XLR. It's a little surprising they don't insist on that as a minimum standard so they can argue about ground loop hum and whatnot, actually. Or maybe that's too tangible for them, and they'd rather discuss the sound color or how the mids are tannic with a tobacco finish or whatever.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

KillHour posted:

Wait, so my understanding is you're not allowed to have speakers at work so you're trying to find a pair of speakers your boss won't notice. But not to use them as speakers; just to stick it to your boss without him knowing.

"I want speakers for work, but they'll never play anything at work, they're just for me to show off. But my boss can't know they're there, so they have to be invisible."

You can stop now, you already have your perfect speakers.

If you want to get the full audiophile experience, you may wish to throw $1500 in a shredder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

The best part is when we discover it isn’t even a good clock.