Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Owsla posted:

Patrick might be my favorite internet poster of all time.

Someone should keep tabs on all these guys, then put them on a TV show where they live together for a month. It would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Omegaslast posted:

http://www.lessloss.com/blackbody-p-200.html

loving brilliant

The more the merrier!

Obviously.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Haquer posted:

The article says that "it won't work if the user is stressed or has a high heart rate". So in other words, blame the operator, and not the device.

"Bill just poo poo his pants again, guess he's off bomb inspection duty for the day."

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The turn table alone is around 70k. I guess if I was a billionaire I'd probably have some home with all that stuff and not even know about it.

I'd wake up some morning, wander the wrong way and end up in room 756 and be "Oh. Pretty!".

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Sagacity posted:

$8800 seems like a reasonable price point for a networked media player.

http://www.ayonaudio.com/products/cd-player-dac/network-player/ayon-s-3.html

So gaudy.

What is going on with their CD players?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

quote:

• A further small improvement can be made by “fluffing” the sleeves so they do not lay flat against the whole length of the wire inside the sleeve. You can do this by blowing into one of the RCA plugs. The sleeve will puff up, then partially collapse. The idea here is to keep as much air as possible between the sleeve and the signal wire inside it.

This store rules.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 30, 2013

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
How about funnels that hook onto each ear so that you are getting 'reference' sound into your ear canal, that otherwise might be distorted by different ear shapes and sizes.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Pilsner posted:

By the way, I wonder how audiophiles handle the 300-hour burn-in periods that they claim some speakers, devices and cables have. Do they come home with their new equipment, put it on together, put on a piece of music on loop, then run out of their listening room with their fingers in their ears and not return until a month later? Or do they begin listening right away, and apologize to themselves for listening to what is sub-optimal, not burned-in?

I wouldn't be surprised that they count the hours the equipment has been on, then when the day comes that they've hit the mark, they put on a CD and go "ahhh yes... THIS is what it's supposed to sound like!".

I burned my Magnepans in by just selecting a 100 song list every once and a while and letting it play out while I went upstairs/out to do other stuff.

Most people just put a CD on repeat for a week.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

Anybody want a 1M RCA cable for 1700 euros?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/576614/nordost-valhalla-reference-rca-wbt-nextgen

The reason he's selling them? He upgraded to more expensive ones.

:ughh:

Nordost are pretty much the go-to cables for anything 'hi fi'. If your system is running you 15k+, you're probably using them.

I have a friend who bought into the interconnects and speaker cables, but I haven't been over to listen to his system since.

I just like making my own by chopping up Walmart power cables.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I haven't had good luck with Monoprice. I've had quite a few bad HDMI cables from them in the past. I don't even know that was even possible.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I wonder if he has a fart jar so that he doesn't ruin a guests 6million dollar experience.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

I'd be shocked if any of that equipment sounded as good as my $1000 home theater, but it does look gorgeous.

Then again, I straight up don't like the sound of vacuum tube amps, so I'm probably biased.

Your system also might sound better because it was designed by actual engineering and not 'durrr we put thingys here till they sound good durrr'.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Opensourcepirate posted:

Fair enough. A lot of their articles are about technical specifications (like the first one I posted), and don't talk much about their products. I'll post their entire article on their welded speak wires though.

Edit: You'll notice that they recommend in the article just buying bare speaker wire from them if you don't want the welded option, rather than going with their optional screw on banana plugs or other terminations.

I've seen their sonic mumbo jumbo welded cables, they're actually really cool. The wiring basically looks like its part of the connector. No solder or anything.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

I don't generally pay a lot of attention to Audiogon these days but this caught my eye: http://hub.audiogon.com/amarra-symphony/

How about a $500 "high end" music player for your Mac that's likely a frontend for iTunes anyway? The switch to file-based listening must have been a great boon for audiophile companies now that they don't even have to actually manufacture something.

e: also I like the conspicuously placed AC/DC track with the stupid "Best of" Mozart tracks. We are smart and cultured but we know how to rock and be cool too guys!!! :downsgun:

There is a forums out there where they looped the output into a recording device on a secondary machine and then compared against other 'bit perfect' playback programs. The wav forms were identical, fully zoomed in. Basically you can buy JRiver Media Center for like 30 bucks and it'll do bit perfect output and that is the best you're ever going to get from a machine. Full stop.

This came about because people were wondering if JRiver MC on Mac was as good as it was on Windows. So they did a test dual booting a Mac. And they threw in other pieces of software for fun.

Then you run into people who paid ungodly amounts for these software pieces who will simply say they trust their ears more than anything else. Which may be true when you're unable to pipe digital output directly into digital recording. But for this? Sorry, you wasted your money.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 24, 2013

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Wasabi the J posted:

Foobar2000 does this for free, too.

For Windows. Mac users not so much.

A lot of older Mac Minis are being recycled into music servers stuffed behind TVs. JRMC + JRemote makes it a really affordable way to stream everything if you don't want to build a CAPS thingymabobber.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 25, 2013

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Unfortunately, it doesn't support many formats and wasn't bit perfect for Windows until very recently.

I have no idea how the audio industry got what should be the easiest part of anything, so completely and totally messed up for so long.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 25, 2013

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm wondering how any needle will stay on a record with a system that large.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 26, 2013

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Thread has come full circle. People making fun of people buying Nordost cables for $5,000 when they could just go buy a BJC for $35. Now people buying the $35 cables are being made fun of for not buying $1 cables.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Iamthegibbons posted:

I stumbled upon a new line of audiophile claims this week. Apparently if you use Directsound in Windows, the kernel mixer introduces imperfections (i.e it's not 'bit perfect' due to on-the-fly processing and resampling). They are all using ASIO or WATAPI drivers in exclusive mode instead. They claim the difference is immense, all not control tested of course. Seems kinda impractical, considering if you use ASIO or WATAPI in exclusive mode no other application will be able to play any audio simultaneously! Is this as much bullshit as I suspect?

Edit: It's kinda funny that the ASIO foobar plugin they use explicitely states on the homagepage that it will not improve the sound :butt:

Other forums have tested bit perfect playback methods by sampling the output from one machine directly into a second machine. It's how they test the audio to see if the output is actually bit perfect or not from the various applications. The amusing thing is people buying expensive plugins/players like Audirvana, Pure Music, etc and claiming the sound is better than X bitperfect plugin/player. When they are actually 100% the same, because, bitperfect is going to be the same no matter what platform/plugin/software you play it back with. That's kind of the point. So on Windows you can grab something like Foobar2000 for free and get the best, or JRiver MC on OSX for $50 instead of $200 or whatever those other ones cost.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
You can certainly see more detail in the recordings comparing different versions of the songs. It's how HDTracks got caught selling an upsampled Metallica album and passing it off as HD. They pulled it saying this is what got sent to them, and gave full refunds to everyone who bought it.

Whether or not you can notice it is where this thread comes into play.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Wasabi the J posted:

And when someone was doing a legitimate review for like $1300 worth of equipment (described by some as an entry-level system) with J-Pop.

I'd like to know what 'entry' level is defined as. I read all the equipment mags. I love seeing all the cool looking stuff I'd buy if I won the lotto. Most everything in the Euro mags are priced around $10,000 and described as entry level. Nothing in these magazines usually costs less than $5,0000 when converted from the English pound. They often compare them to the same manufactures other offerings which are usually four times the price, but this is a steal because it does 90% of what the other thing does as a quarter of the price! Speaker cable advertisements have financing plans available. Seriously.

I would kill for an audio rag that kept a $1,000 ceiling on any and all equipment reviewed.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 4, 2013

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Khablam posted:

HDMI complicates things much more than it needs to, in a large part because it's a huge money-making racket on selling people $100 cables when $10 cables will suit 99% of all applications.

This really doesn't pertain to BJC. They're straight up budget cables. You can have them add fancier ends, or different cable on some of their selections. But for the most part, their selection are $10 cables.

They are who I usually go with instead of spending $100 on cables, I get $10-50 ones from them. The pack ins, and the monoprice ones have mostly all failed me, and their credit card leak didn't help things, either.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Not an Anthem posted:

They're not budget, stop quoting their website verbatim, you are literally as useless as reading their website. They are expensive compared to a huge range of cables that work perfectly and they do exactly what this thread is made to mock- create claims that can't be verified because they make up language and functions that don't exist.

Silly me, that $15 HDMI cable I bought from them was actually $150 and made of gold. Sure beats the useless $2.50 one I got from Monoprice that doesn't work, though! I'm living the high life.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Wonder why he doesn't show a direct music sample from each cable direct from his DAC into another machine. Overlay them on top of each other and you will be able to see exactly what frequencies are effected.

Oh I know why, he likes to keep pretty cables for good reviews. Maybe the Hydrogenaudio guys can help him out a little.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 30, 2013

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

cheese-cube posted:

Cross-posting this, a review of the "HB Cable Design PowerSlave Marble Power Distributor" (Yes that's marble as in the mineral): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOwqyWdsWrE

The stupidity starts at around 2:20.

So how the hell do I plug my direct wired Boulder amps into this thing?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

For what it's worth, between that and his thread about power cables, and the community's reaction to him, I believe this guy's just trolling.

Those little roman pillars everywhere were hilarious.

Also, using tap water for water cooling is a big nono. He went out of his way to just be ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
People that spend that much on cables more than likely burn that much just to start their fireplace because it amuses them.