Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

I was looking for a local place to pick up a volume control pot and I found this:http://www.partsconnexion.com/bybee_purifiers.html

quote:

Small Slipstream Quantum Purifier, Each

Small Slipstream Quantum Purifiers are typically used in lower-current AC circuits, non-AC analog and digital circuits, and smaller midrange drivers and tweeters.

(Click MORE INFO for Specifications)

$100.00 $100.00 pcX USD Price

Now I'm not sure I trust them enough to buy a volume knob from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

This one is also good, a complete debunking of 24bit and high samplerate audio for playback:

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I'm glad you posted this. A while ago I got a 24bit DAC so I downloaded some 24bit music and I didn't think it sounded any better.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah, I knew that when I got it. I just wanted to see. The video posted earlier explains bit depth and noise floor very well. I'm glad I watched it.

I can understand why people would start to believe in crazy voodoo magic for their audio hobby. Once you get a decent stereo there isn't a lot of tinkering you can do that will help, unless you want to have a dedicated listening room and do sound treatments. But I suspect most of the audiophiles would rather have a fancy looking room than do anything meaningful.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah, and most photographers understand the concept of "good enough" when it comes to things like sharpness.

Then again there are people who will spend untold thousands on camera stuff and only shoot test charts.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

They had one with a Plexiglas top on display so you could see the insides at a Best Buy or something. I was with my brother who is an electrical engineer and he looked at it and said it did nothing.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

I was poking around this morning and found a box that does nothing: http://www.lessloss.com/firewall-p-196.html

Looks pretty nice though.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Inspect Your Gadgets > Ridiculed by audiophiles

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

The guy sells a box that does nothing for $650.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

The need for double blind tests prove that people perceive audio as sounding better when they expect it to. What we've done is con ourselves out of that extra joy. Everyone should come up with a magic ritual to do before they listen to music so that it sounds better. I'm gonna start by making a cup of coffee and sitting in my comfy chair before listening, that should do it.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

That guy seems really cool and into what he's doing. I'd love to have a workshop full of gear like that and stuff to tinker on.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

I found a subreddit from a guy who seems to know a lot about building speakers. I'm reading but I don't know enough to really tell if this guy knows what he's talking about or if he's full of it. There is a lot there anyway, I'm sure at least some of the comments will be pretty good.

http://www.reddit.com/r/loudspeakers/

Edit: I think he's an old guy who's lost his marbles: http://www.reddit.com/r/loudspeakers/comments/1zxgpq/perception_vs_reality/

TomR fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 5, 2014

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah I gathered that. I found some pictures of woofers he's applied silicone to the cones and other stuff glued all over the place. Someone asked him how he measured something and he went on a rant about how he uses his ears to test stuff.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

There really isn't a good place to post this, but I'd like to make some speakers that look like this: http://brokenliquid.com/52503/3525132/gallery/rough-waters
I figure they'd be pretty audiophile.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah I know it's awesome. Maybe just have them in the same room as the speakers. Job done.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

I use a cheap $20 class D amp to run some bookshelf speakers from my computer and it sounds fine. I hooked it up to my main speakers in my living room for a laugh and it got them up to about 70% listening volume. Not bad for a tiny box with almost nothing in it.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Aww I missed MDF chat. I used to program a CNC machine for a place that made subwoofer enclosures. There are different grades of MDF and the good stuff is really nice to work with. On the flip side the lovely MDF is really lovely. Like the difference from machining a nice aluminum plate verses laminated cardboard or something. Anyway we made some really high end sub boxes, up to 18" drivers and they were all MDF internals with whatever on the outside.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

A buddy of mine used to run a used music store. I had a huge mountain of CDs way back when. Good times.

Anyway yeah you can spend like $100 and have a pretty good DAC. One day if I ever get a room I can setup as a listening room I'm going to get a bunch of large aluminum and wood boxes with LEDs and UV meters on them that don't do anything just to show off. I'll get some decent speakers and build my own cabinets. Should be a fun project.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

As we all know our ears are poo poo and our brains are great at tricking us. So what you need is a system that sounds good, as in not broken and bad, and then you need a comfortable space and stuff that looks nice and you feel good about. Feeling good will have more effect on how the music sounds than upgrading from one competent component to another slightly better component. If a bunch of glass and brushed aluminum makes you happy then the music will sound better, because your ears are poo poo and your brain is great at tricking you.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Too bad about Neil Young. I like his music, but even way back when he was into faith healers and stuff. Guy knows how to play guitar and he should stick to that.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

What does that thing even do? It's like a fancy USB power supply?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Sounds bad. Like actively bad. Putting power to an RCA cable just means that it now has a way to get distorted. That's like the last thing you want.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

There isn't really a good place to put this and most of us already know how a speaker works, but this is a nice graphic. http://animagraffs.com/loudspeaker/

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

I'm not sure about ECC but there is a special brand of computer audiophile. http://www.ap-linux.com/

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Speaking of concrete. I had the idea to make a concrete subwoofer enclosure. I was thinking of a hollow sphere of polished concrete. Probably something like 1 or 1.5 cubic feet of internal volume with the sub down firing on the bottom. Maybe it would look nice enough that you could place it where it sounds best in the room and claim it's art.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

I'm a photographer and I shoot digital. I haven't touched film in a serious way in forever and even my own personal stuff I don't feel the need to use film at all.

However, when doing photography it can be helpful to slow down. I mean really really slow down and think, contemplate what you are doing. It's hard to learn that with a digital camera because the tool it's self is very fast. All the processes are fast. You can take as many pictures as you like and pick the best one. You can learn a lot of bad habits from a digital camera. If you use something like a film camera. Especially a manual one or better yet a large format camera then just using the camera takes time. Time enough that you think automatically. The process teaches you to slow down, otherwise you waste a bunch of film.

That's the point of learning to shoot on film. If you can learn to take it slow and think about what you are doing then using a digital camera is great.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

I think you misunderstand friend. When I say "it can be helpful" you seem to have understood that to mean "the only way". What I was pointing out was the benefits of learning to use film. I'm not trying to say it's better than digital. I use digital myself 100% of the time.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Laughable indeed. I'm sad I didn't get any dark chocolate cables for Easter, they sound delicious.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

That webdesign is awful. The images are all different heights so the stuff on the page moves around as it flips through them.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah it's really nice to be able to pull out your phone and turn the volume down on your stereo when you are in another room.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

You would need a monstrously bad USB cable to get "packet errors within the data stream" in the first place. But that is a pretty specific claim that could be tested.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

The idea that the audio file effects how strong a charge is written to the hard drive ignores the fact that your computer is doing so much work at any time at a rate so much faster than audio any noise generated will be totally random. I had a problem once where I could hear in my headphones when I moved the mouse, it came through as noise I could hear when there was silence in the music. This whole idea is just nuts that you could hear a difference from one audio file to another of the same song if they are bit for bit the same. If you could measure the noise coming out of a computer at the level where the charge of the bit in storage is effecting you congrats, you've just created the most noise free computer ever.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Reminds me of a time we were selling off old stock at the speaker box factory I used to work at. A guy comes up asking about one of the boxes, wants to know how many cubic feet it was. The guy working there didn't know and just said "Uhh, six?" and the other guy was like "Okay great, I'll take it". It was a tiny sealed box for a 10" sub, probably 1 or 1.5 cubic feet.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Schiit is audiophile and not at the same time. Their products are good and they give actual numbers, but they also make stuff more and more expensive and use more flowery language to explain why you would need it. I recently got a Magni 2 headphone amp and it's great. Can't blame them for also targeting the audiophile types. Who else is going to spend $2000 on a headphone amp.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

I'm sure if you measured any of the DACs they would all output a musically perfect signal so the cheapest one is the best. Of course the bigger ones look nice.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

Nah, psychoacoustics is where it's at. The second best thing I can do to my stereo is invest time, effort and money into it. Doesn't matter how it measures or what my friends think, it will sound better to me because my monkey brain tells me it does.

The best thing you can do to make your stereo sound better is turn it up. Which is why I modded my audio player to do the following:

That's a good idea. I was just looking at reel to reel players and I realized that I would never use one if I had it, but they look so cool. Then I thought I should build a mock one with big VU meters and reels that spin whenever I play music from my computer.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

One day I'll take a photo with all the knobs on it, but I think my tube amp looks pretty nice. Sounds like poo poo though.

http://imgur.com/a/U5eDa

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

You can see in the link that I replaced the caps. The radio works fine. It uses an old style speaker with two coils instead of a magnet. The speaker is 12" so the sound from it is kind of flat. I get an AM baseball station that sounds fine because its just talk. There is an RCA jack that I have tried other sources with. I keep an FM tuner from the late 70s in the cabinet so I can listen to music. Still sounds flat without tweeters though.

My point is the radio looks nice and is old and cool. I use it from time to time because I like it, not because I think it sounds good. It does not.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

I just went and measured it. It's closer to 11". The on off switch is a tone control. It goes from bass to treble as you turn it more in the on direction. This thing was made in 1946 so most people had probably only heard really lovely home audio stuff.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

I wonder if this applies to audiophiles: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3708238

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

How does that work?