Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex posted:

Audioholics did a review of the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers and they only listed "con" in the summary is

which to me is hilarious because they could have said the same thing in several different ways, like "design kind of ugly" or "cabinet finish feels cheap" [which he did say later in the review] but they decided to state it in the lamest way.

As someone who owns them, I can confirm that my cheap speakers do not look or feel like expensive speakers. Strange how that works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, but what about your "pride of ownership factor"?

Completely unrelated to that, how do they sound?
I'm no audiophile, but I like them quite a bit. I think I need to get my receiver better set up, though, since speaking parts of TV and movies seem to be a lot quieter than pretty much everything else, which is annoying.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Is it a 5.1 system with a center channel?

If so, you need to boost the center channel, your receiver should have an option for it. I find that most movies have way too quiet center channels compared to everything else, when played back at a normal volume level. When played back at cinema sound levels, it's fine, but that's not very popular with neighbors.

Give it a healthy 6-12dB boost and I bet everything will sound a lot more balanced.

If it's a stereo setup, try and see if your receiver can boost the center channel before downmixing to stereo.

It's an Onkyo TX-NR515 7.2 receiver running a (currently) 3.1 setup. I've played with the setting some, but I think it may be per input, so I have to look into it more. I'm new to this whole home theater thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

CD-quality WAV is 1411 kbps, which is because it's a 16 bit wide data stream with a 44.1 kHz sample rate and 2 channels for stereo :eng101:

Actually it comes out to 1411.2 kbps if you want to be precise, but nobody cares about the last .2 of it.

The last .2 adds important warmth and opens up the soundstage in ways your worthless ears would never understand.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

Now I want to find a picture of someone wearing an Orpheus, drinking a '62 Chateau Latour, hops drying on a rack overhead and a hydroponic hybrid pepper plant under special lights.

Picture must be taken from either a vintage Leica or some kind of scanning back Hassleblad, whist wearing not a fedora but a porkpie cap.
They're actually brewing an IPA flavored with that pepper.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The spinning of my hard drive really brings out the brightness of the 1s and 0s of my FLAC collection.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

shortspecialbus posted:

The ONLY way there may be even a smidge of truth to what this moron is saying is if they have some sort of interference going on inside the computer. The headphone jack on my Mac Pro at work does weird things when drives are spinning and the sound gets hosed with extremely noticeably. He may have some sort of similar thing where an analog output is getting screwed with a bit, and changing drives MAY (but probably not) have an effect on that. If he's sending it out digital via SPDIF or something though, that's horseshit beyond horseshit.
He's using a NAS. It's just sending data over his network.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In his defense, tubes look cool.

Not $11,000 cool, but cool.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TopherCStone posted:

They claim to "develop, manufacture, and produce" their products and it's sold with a tag that says "made in Sweden." It's going to depend on where they can be sued but it smacks of false advertising.

If they put the ground wire and fabric around the $5 USB cable, I'm not sure you can't claim it wasn't developed, manufactured, and produced in Sweden even if 99% of it rolled off a line in China.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got 2/5. Guess my work computer's on-board sound through my regular earbuds just isn't enough!

EDIT: Redid it just picking B for all of them and got 4/5.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shaft481 posted:

Speaking of, I saw a group of shower heads that advertised "oxygen-infused water". Now I may wrong, but wouldn't adding oxygen to water result in hydrogen peroxide?

No. It's just dissolved in it like it is in all water. It doesn't do anything but it's not a lie.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

What really makes it is that the LCD looks like it came from those old blue on grayish green LCDs used for bad Game Boy clone consoles.

You wouldn't want color in the screen interfering with the color of the sound obviously.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It seems more than slightly outdated when a GBA had a 240x160 display capable of displaying 32k colors. In 2001. For like $150.

EDIT:

Wasabi the J posted:

Sorry I got super triggered; drove a couple of friends "new" cars and they all had touchscreen radio poo poo so you couldn't do simple poo poo like change the radio station without looking at the screen, which I find annoying and dangerous in a car.

I also have a couple of doodads around the house that would be a helluva lot more usable if they were button interfaces instead of touch interfaces, including the keypad to get into work.

They got the worlds shittiest touchscreen lock.
Yeah, I didn't want to get into it, really, but touchscreens have a time and place, and electronics isn't the worst for certain functions, but cars are definitely NOT the place for them except for a handful of functions that might be used once or twice per trip like GPS and whatnot. It just screams of a new generation of designers coming in and throwing out millions of man-hours of human interface design intended to make controls easy to use without looking away from the road to make room for what's cool and ignoring all other design considerations.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 15, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Khablam posted:

AAC-HE is effectively your best (only?) option for ultralow bitrates and most AAC encoders are about the same, so you may as well let iTunes do it. That's if your 4Gb iPod supports it, which it may not. What is the actual model?

Despite not supporting Windows Vista, iTunes continues to support every iPod ever made.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I guess I misunderstood what you were saying and you're probably right!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

88h88 posted:

I want to believe the username is related to this as opposed to the band...

Agreed on RtJ though.
Accurate.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Except that hardly anyone has heard of ALAC.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

quote:

Ultimately this means that as long as you are sending our DAC truthful complete bits the source does not make a difference.
Tell me more about these untruthful, incomplete bits.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fishmech posted:

Inside your computer are millions of little bits.
Each one of those bits can be a one or a zero and as your computer
runs programs each one of these bits changes its state, often
thousands of times every second.

Understandably, this puts a lot of pressure on your bits and,
after a period of time, some of your bits may start to wear out.
At first your bits become a little bit cranky and don't change
quite as quickly and after much use they may become worn out on
the edges.

The Bit Recycler is designed to reconstitute your bits, making
sure that your bits are always in top shape.

When you first run the Bit Recycler, the title screen will appear.
The first thing to do is to select "Analyse Bits" from the Run
Menu. The Bit Recycler will proceed to analyse your bits and
determine their average state of health. When analysis has
completed you will be presented with a report. If the report
recommends bit recycling then choose "Recycle" from the Run menu.

Bit Recycling has three stages. First, your worn out bits are ground
up into a sort of bit 'mush'. The bit mush is then boiled and poured
on to a conveyor belt where finally, brand new bits are stamped out.

Bit Recycling is a maintainence operation which should be performed
at least once a month. This will normally substitute for the old-
fashioned way of recycling your bits. Somewhere inside your computer,
usually tucked away beside the hard drive, there is a little container
called the 'Bit Bucket'. Worn out bits usually accumulate in the
Bit Bucket. For manual recycling, bring your computer to a trained
Bit Recycling Technician. He will remove the Bit Bucket and pour
the worn out bits into a little spout on the back of your computer
where they will be reprocessed.

* NOTE: Do not attempt manual bit recycling yourself.
The above description of manual recycling is a
simplified outline of an inherently complex and technical
operation. Use the TOGGLE BOOLEANS Bit Recycler instead or
consult a trained technician. TOGGLE BOOLEANS will not
be responsible, in any way whatsoever, for any damage
or data loss caused by the use of the Bit Recycler
or following these intructions.

Version 1.2 also add the ability to detect and execute subversive
elements among your bits. Sometimes when bits are worked too
hard they become revolutionary. If your Ones are being worked
harder than your Zeros, the Ones begin to feel like they are being
exploited and if there is strong leader among them, they can
rampage through your computer trying to turn all of the Zeros they
find into Ones.
This can cause great havoc for the computer user, so it is important
to ocassionally discipline or execute these subversive elements.
To do so, select Execute Subversive Bits from the Run menu after
Bit Analysis has completed.

:stare:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Take 30 seconds to research what you're buying and you won't have a problem. His profile on Amazon lists plenty of perfectly fine cables. (And don't borrow from random people, I guess.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

You're never going to stop this. I shouldn't have the expectation if I need to charge my iPhone and I use someone elses lightning cable that my phone might catch fire.
I agree. So never use someone else's cables unless they're from a brand you're familiar with, I guess?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nope, it's a garden hose.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have a fleshy midrange I can offer some audiophiles.

Wait, there's no cute girl audiophiles are there? Never mind.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Either find one on Craigslist or Ebay or whatever or replace the whole thing. Soundbar sets aren't really intended to allow pieces to be swapped.

EDIT: This is not the right thread for this. Go here.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Only" a kilowatt.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's like a 90% chance the one on Amazon is a knockoff and a 100% chance that doesn't matter in the slightest.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

grack posted:

So, like, regular power cables?

:perfect:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The script print really seals it.

EDIT: ^^^^ Capacitors, I think?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I encode all my MP3s in 69/420.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dodgeball has a fun commentary track where the first 40 minutes is just the actors arguing before storming out, at which point it cuts to the There's Something About Mary commentary. (The real one is hidden.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Android thread is suddenly full of people with Golden Ears.

Alan_Shore posted:

I used to have absurdly expensive wired headphones and now have absurdly expensive Bluetooth headphones (with aptx).

Wired sounds better, and doesn't eat your battery. Bluetooth is more convenient for moving around. That's really the bottom line.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Who the gently caress cares about frequency plots? That's a fallacy.

The issue grack probably has, as do I, is that there's already compressed data with all its artifacts, and it's yet again submitted through another lossy codec. I don't want any ringing artifacts and other poo poo to become audible. Doesn't help that I was inadvertently trained to notice them back in the old days, hanging out on Hydrogenaudio. Nor does it help that I listen to electronic music, which exacerbates issues with psychoacoustics.
They also linked to these headphones that magically have no DAC.
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/0406b80af628416f/index.html

quote:

Exclusively designed 45mm True Motion D/A drivers feature a four-core voice coil (just a single-core on ATH-DSR7BT) that process the digital signals into smooth movements of the diamond-like carbon material coated diaphragm.
:thunk:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

More impressively he won for cramming Bluetooth into a Soundwagon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Spotify won't even let you have more than 10k songs in your library, I can't imagine them ever adding lossless.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TheMadMilkman posted:

Samsung cheated and bought Harman.

Apple cheated and bought Beats.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Cables on the floor, literal garbage

No, it's Naim

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Good news if you're looking to buy a Range Rover in the future, they're putting in hi res audio capabilities into their cars! Y'know cars, those perfect listening environments that are super quiet so you can really make use of that extra dynamic range afforded by 24bit audio!

Friend just told me they've had a demo and it sounds good. Of course there's nothing to AB test it with and the car's static. What is the point?
Bullet point feature

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pretty sure you had to do that on some Sony-published CDs otherwise they'd install a rootkit on your computer.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lmao 33 femtoseconds? Let me know when it's actually fast!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm the gamer keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Put script font markings on that bucket and I bet you could sell it for $3000 to audiophiles.