Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

longview posted:

These are people who put their cables up on little struts and stuff tissue paper in their amplifiers, someone should start selling audiophile grade house wiring and manual fuses. I found a significantly more vibrant soundstage after I put in the AudioFuze 63A model, sure it's a 13A circuit but I need the extra power for the dynamics!!

Oh you can buy rhodium plated power outlets! http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/inc/sdetail/109/33780

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

BANME.sh posted:

To switch gears a bit, I am debating whether or not I should replace all of the old electrolytic capacitors in my vintage Marantz receiver. It works fine, and it sounds good to me, but you know how everyone says "those old caps are dried up, better replace them before they burn out and damage something else!!".

On the audiokarma boards, you get people talking about "audio grade" caps (Nichicon MUSE FG, or Elna Silmic II, etc) and how different brands sounds "night and day" from one another. Too bad it's impossible to ABX test a modification like that.

Electrically, is there any difference between one capacitor and another, assuming they have the same V, uF and even tolerance? What if they are in the direct audio signal path, can it affect the sound?

There's a belief you should keep everything original. Don't fix it if it isn't broken. Keep the original sound in tact.

And there's the other side that says the "original sound" has gradually drifted so far over the years, what you hear now is nothing like how it originally sounded in the 70s. Better to replace them.

I honestly don't know what to believe.

If it works, don`t replace the caps. If you're going to replace the caps, get name brand ones like Panasonic and Nichicon. It doesn't have anything to do with the sound, it's just that they're overall better quality

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

KozmoNaut posted:

Some audiophiles are into the old big-rear end wardrobe-sized speakers, like the old Klipsch Jubilee and Altec Lansing Voice of the Theater and similar models. Enormous room-filling (in every way) speakers that were outrageously expensive in their day, and still command high prices because of their relative rarity. The venerable Klipschorn also has a large following. I understand these guys, big speakers are awesome if you have the room for them, and can produce a big imposing sound profile that no small speaker will ever match.

I like my big speakers. I'd like to get some smaller ones, but I'm afraid they'll sound too "small".

That's a 55" TV

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

BigFactory posted:

Are those infinities?

Yes, Kappa 9.2. I need a bigger amp...

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

BigFactory posted:

I have a pair of lovely bookshelfs from the late 80s that look like teeny versions of them. No eMit tweeter in those, right?

They made several small speakers, here's a nice site:
http://www.infinity-classics.de/models/index-models.htm

Panty Saluter posted:

Roughly 85 db efficient with impedance dropping below 4 ohms in numerous places, I'd wager :v:

They're pretty hard to drive, one guy in Norway measured that only the small drivers pull about 600W at most! I use an Aragon 4004MkII, but it's not nearly enough.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

qirex posted:

Even if I had gently caress you money I'd probably make do with normal sized towers coupled with a sub or two.

Eeh, it's not the same. I had a couple of Dynaudios with a 12" Velodyne sub, and I thought there was something weird about the bass coming from another place in the room. Replaced the lot with a couple of Infinity Kappa 9.2s, and everyone's happy except my neighbours. There's something majestic about the sound coming from a pair of big speakers. If only I could find another amp to power them properly.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

KozmoNaut posted:

You had the crossover frequency set too high.

You're probably correct. I feel like I tried every setting possible on the sub, but I didn't adjust the preamp.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You certainly have a lot of choice in the year 2017 my dude.

Got any recommendations? I have an Aragon 4004 on them now, but It sounds like they need more power.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Speakers are 4ohms, amp will output 400w at 4ohms so something's up somewhere!

4omhs nominal, the kappas have some pretty nasty impedance drops with certain frequencies, I've read between 1.2-1.6 ohms. I've also heard of a guy measuring the mid/highrange pulling 600W max on these speakers. There is wide consensus that the crossovers suck on these speakers.

There has to be something in it, I've managed to pop the fuses on the amplifier with these speakers.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

metallicaeg posted:

Pretty sure this thread has now come full circle

And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

DACchat: I bought a SMSL M6 DAC on eBay to replace my aging Aragon D2A, and boy did it make a difference! Much better on vocal tracks.

I have the DAC connected to an Marantz PM-80MkII with a couple of Dynaudio DM 2/8s I bought cheap.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Remember to plug your unused inputs: https://ansuz-acoustics.com

quote:

The entry-level model has to make do without a name affix and will retail at 680 euros. The Sortz Supreme represents the medium quality level and will be available for 1,000 euros. The Sortz Signature, the top-of-the-range model, will request an additional 400 euros. At least in my high-resolution system, the ever-increasing impact of the different Sortz models can be easily retraced. Upcoming questions, such as whether two simple Sortz produce more euphony than one Sortz Signature, will probably only be clarified when series models are available in sufficient numbers. The most striking distinction between the three models, by the way, lies in the different surface coatings applied in the Magnetron Sputtering Unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

i'm the special T10 tamper-proof stainless steel self-tapping screws and washers