Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slothzilla
Dec 19, 2003

Dunite posted:

I'm curious with the way some audiophiles display a blind ignorance to a well presented argument.

Their absolute belief in the doctrine borderlines on religion almost.
Is it because these people are just ignorant or is it a deeper social issue of people not trusting science?

I think the audiophile phenomena has very little to do with logic and most everything to do with emotion.

There is a lot of good research about the power of confirmation bias (people trust things they already believe to be true and disregard opposing views), so rational argumentation will never be received well. Especially when people get together and reinforce their stupid ideas.

Combined that with studies that show people enjoy things more simply because they are more expensive (when people taste test wine, if researchers tell them that one sample is more expensive --even if they are actually the same wine-- people will report that it tastes better).

And no one likes to be wrong, especially when being wrong would mean that they have wasted a shitload of money.

I'm trying to think of some kind of interference that I could market with pseudoscience that I could sell to audiophiles. Seems like a great opportunity to take money from old rich assholes.

Maybe long waves from geothermal activity? Solar flares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU