Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
http://www.head-fi.org/t/554008/dont-get-why-audiophile-usb-cable-would-improve-sound-quality

47 page argument about USB cables. God I love Head-Fi, it's like Youtube comments by rich people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Some of the posts in the DIY cable thread on there are gold too. I get that multi-stranded cable the combined thickness of 1 strand of fiber is going to be poo poo, but making DIY headphone cables out of single-strand gold 14/0 is going a little bit overboard.

edit
oh god here's how audiophile rumors get started

Pudgygiant fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 14, 2012

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Yeah the one I posted was the end of that brilliant line of logic. It's amazing how little people know about these systems they dump 5 or 6 figures into.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

But if you're not playing it back on something with audiophile-grade ECC RAM why does it even matter?

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

The Beats earbuds sound like I have my ear next to a box fan with a bass drum behind it, but I'd still say what they play is music. That's a retarded definition.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

I have to agree with jonathan, I'm on a military base in Afghanistan and I've heard much worse audiophile fag poo poo here than "detailed brights". The manliest SF guy I've ever met said something about recessed mids on my Pro 900s last night, that's about the same level, and we've had some pretty intense talks about the frequency response on their headsets (which aren't bad, by the way, and they're made by Koss). I'd get kicked in the junk if I started talking about cables that give music deeper blacks or more accurate attack or some poo poo like that, but I think "detailed brights" is just a way people in the know say "boosted treble".

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

yaoi prophet posted:

Tell us more about the fag poo poo you hear :allears:

audiophile fag poo poo. Although I did hear some guy call dibs on the middle seat in a truck the other day :wtc:

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

pgroce posted:

To get the thread back on track: listening to digital audio directly from the on-board DAC of your iPod is an abominable travesty, and you're a horrible person unless you listen to your iPod through one of these.

Real audiophiles make their ipod worthless as a portable device.
http://redwineaudio.com/imod

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Are Beats fans the anti-audiophile?

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Confounding Factor posted:

^^ I don't disagree with you, I'm just relaying what I hear from audiophiles all the time.

It's the JVC FX101, which is now 13 bucks on amazon.

Ok so I exaggerated a little bit, but it's not that off IMO. I found more enjoyment with those IEMs than a Grado. Plus Grado sucks because they use the same driver in different wood cups and charge whatever they want for it.

I think those IEMs have excellent bass quality and depth. A few hip hop tracks it sounds distorted but otherwise it's good.

I bought a Klipsch X10 last year during black Friday on Amazon which was 75 dollars IIRC. Original price was 350, but I sent them back becaus I still preferred the JVC.

I know it might sound like I'm overhyping them a lot, but for the cost I was really surprised by them and I use them on a daiy basis.

YMMV though.

Comparing IEMs to cups is apples to oranges though, it's like comparing a car system to home audio. The bass quality and depth you're "hearing" is because of bone conduction, and the X10s are bright as gently caress so it's easy to hate them.

I'm not 100% disagreeing with you, because I'm totally on board with the facts that people are idiots and there are some amazing underpriced IEMs, but your comparisons are with two notably bright examples so maybe you just hated their signatures.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

There's also the obvious point that you could buy 60 50 cent cables for the price of 1 BJC. You're an incredibly unlucky person if you kill 60 RCA cables in a lifetime.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

If yall are serious about starting a thing to prey on the weak-minded (but rich), my business teacher has a ridiculous amount of China connections and could proto stuff for insanely cheap. I actually mentioned it to him and he doesn't want to get attached directly because of the immorality of it (the way I pitched it was sell 100 $5000 power cables and walk away) but he'd have no problem being a middleman.

Really, just hype the poo poo out of something for a month or so on a couple other forums, whip up a site with 3 discontinued (fake) products and a new, improved, top of the line one, and disappear when we're rich. That's all it'd take. I could probably do something in wordpress like, tonight, if someone could CAD up a few progressive models and one to send to China, and we'll all be worth 6 figures by July.

Is it immoral? Kind of. Do I want to own a house in the near future? gently caress yes.

Pudgygiant fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 1, 2014

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Bet those eq settings sound amazing on Beats

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Is there anywhere to buy screen printed cable sheaths from? I think I found the niche to target...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

This post is the worst thing I've ever read on the internet. Push on through the kindergarten-level spelling and grammar to the pictures, trust me.

The whole thread is a circlejerk of worthlessness, but that post especially.