Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

synthetik posted:

Kinda a takedown of a small 'audiophile' bullshit - response to an article applauding the removeal of the 3.5mm jack on the iphone7.

Original Article

i dunno if that's audiophile bullshit as much as it is just lovely management. They tasked a design columnist to write about tech stuff, she clearly just doesn't know what she's talking about and cobbled together a bunch of random sources and marketing bullshit into an article. It happens all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

KozmoNaut posted:

They could just as easily have improved the built in socket to the same low impedance.

The fact that the Axon 7 has a monstrously good amp in a competitively specced phone for $400 flat out kind of shits on the whole "there's no space” argument

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

eh... it's more of a "this is really hard to hide, and if the boss sees it, questions will be asked" sort of deal.
I tried putting a pair of Beovox s80.2's on my desk for a few days and he blew a loving gasket. They weren't even connected to anything, they were just there while I made space to bring them home.

what the gently caress

why exactly are you buying new speakers specifically to antagonize your boss with?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
is that a loving commodore vic 20

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Moo the cow posted:

Would this work on an Android phone such as a Huawei, using a USB C to micro adaptor?

And would it have enough oomph to drive Akg K72s?

It works on my android phones that have usb-c just fine, but an adapter might change things. I used one as a desktop dac for a while through a usb-a adapter and that worked, so who knows?

It definitely does not have enough oomph for anything but iems and other sensitive headphones, but it's really good for those. If it could put out a proper 2 volt line level i'd use it for everything. I keep one in my laptop bag to bypass the dogshit noisy rear end lenovo headphone port. It's 8 bucks! It's the only good cheap thing that apple makes!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

movax posted:

Man, gently caress it — I'm just going to build my own balanced pre-amp / source selector / remote-controlled volume control thing. The hardest part will be the enclosure.

make sure to glue a lead wheel weight in there, call it a "crystalline lead ground isolation chamber" and start your prices at 8k

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
It's just not very powerful, its max output is around half of what you would expect from a normal line level source. The volume you do get is very clean though, so if you have IEMs or other sensitive headphones (which is the vast majority of them) it's great. Or, you could run it to an amplifier, which would then run at half mast so to speak. Might not matter to you.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
that is the weirdest LARP forum I've ever come across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

LRADIKAL posted:

So to be clear, this thread only deals in pseudo-science and magic, not in spending massively outside of price/performance? He's NOT an audiophile?

The offbrand Pono doesn't count?

Audiophiles don't buy offbrand anything, and an overpriced DAP is a tiny drop of morning dew clinging to the edge of a buttercup compared to the tsunami of bullshit that is audiophile cables. At least it does something.