Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

drat, Steve Guttenberg sure could use a haircut. After Iíve watched a few of these even worse stuff started popping up. Thank you qirex!
I can now recommend Pursuit Perfect System as the worst snake oil consumer Iíve ever seen and Hans Beekhuyzen as the least interesting YouTube personality.

I think Steve is a good reviewer honestly, he's not into voodoo nonsense afaik. He just happens to review extremely high end poo poo often. He's who originally made me want LCD-2s and uhm, was not wrong. I loving love them. So much.

caveat: I've never watched his vids, just written reviews...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

KozmoNaut posted:

Multi-driver IEMs are kinda silly, when fantastic single-driver designs like the Tin HiFi T4 and the BLON BL-03 exist, and have none of the issues associated with tiny crossover networks.

Like, my KZ ZSXs are pretty drat good, but the T4s just utterly trounce them in every single way.

Fantastic single-driver speakers exist too and we still see multi-driver designs.

Different strokes. Even with single driver, there are much nicer ones than your examples. But a $30 IEM really doesn't compete with a $3k one.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

KozmoNaut posted:

And $1K+ IEMs won't really sound meaningfully better than the T4s. Different maybe, but that doesn't automatically mean they're better.

As with most other fields of audio, the IEM world is plagued by insane audiophilia.

Now you're being ridiculous. Do you own anything higher end than T4 or BLON-03? Higher end headphones are more resolving. It's not about different. I have BLON-03 and Moondrop KXXS (to compare two similarly tuned sets) and the KXXS is more resolving.

The point in multi driver IEMs is that BAs are not great at pushing air over the whole frequency range. I really don't see the point in 14 of them, but you know, 3-6 can make sense depending on your goal. It's only going to matter if CLARITY is more important to you than anything else. I like dynamic or planar better tbh, but I have a set with one BA and one DD and I love them. I have had a crossover go bad in an IEM tho, which is another whole rear end stupid thing.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

KillHour posted:

I'm going to post this in here because I'm an idiot who never learns.

My home office setup has a toggle switch behind the volume pot that lets me switch between -10dB line level and -0dB line level. I have it set up so that both are safe for the equipment, but the -10dB setting is safe(ish) for my hearing. Every few months, I remember that switch exists and want to turn it up just a little, so I turn the volume to half way and flip the "goes to 11" switch. After 10 minutes of slowly bumping it up, I'm sitting there wondering why I have a pounding headache and why my keyboard is rattling. At this point, consumer equipment that starts throwing distortion at the problem when you turn it up is something I consider a health-safety feature. :downs:

My example of this recently is on my iSine 10 IEM. I always used them bluetooth until a couple days ago. The lightning cable DAC/AMP for them is for both them and the higher impedance iSine 20. I had it half way earlier today and it was entirely too loud, and I like loud. These things can handle so much power with zero distortion it's wild. I think they're rated at 1W which is just wtf. I'm sure this cable isn't 1/10th of that power.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't care if they're an audiophile but anyone using Apple products in 2020 is a complete moron.

E: oh I didn't actually read the post.

I bet the car is ugly.

You seem fun.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Neurophonic posted:

Streaming Music Doesn't Flow, It Evaporates https://www.wired.com/story/streaming-music-amazon-echo-sound

Another moron who conflates file compression with audio compression, plus the absolute gem above. You can trust him though, he uses Italian words to describe classical music.

The answer is stream thru a system with more than a 1Ē woofer perhaps? 🤔

ddogflex fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 18, 2020

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

TheMadMilkman posted:

I mean, as near as I can tell in trying to parse that poorly written dreck, by pulling out her CD player that's likely what she did. I'm still not 100% sure, though.

But talking about how Amazon has CD quality streaming that can interface with a good-quality stereo probably doesn't fit whatever it was she was going for.

Seriously. All paid streaming services have CD quality IF NOT HIGHER versions of uhh everything. If you think your CDs sound better than whatever service setup correctly (set to high quality basically), you're lying to yourself for unknown reasons.

It's like the people that say high quality equipment is only worth it for higher res files. Uh huh. Sure. I bet you can't tell the loving difference between a FLAC and an MQA of the same master.

Streaming has gently caress all to do with LOUDNESS WARS and the whole article just makes me want to pull my hair out.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

qirex posted:

The genius of MQA is the file includes an EQ curve so even if, like probably 95% of MQA audio, it's just upsampled from CD it still sounds different unlike high res FLAC, etc.

What a sleazy way to make people hear a difference lmao

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Zemyla posted:

I buy $1 earbuds in bulk and switch them out when they crap out (about 1-3 months), and they really expand the soundstage of the podcasts I listen to while walking alongside busy streets or riding a bus. They even enhance the experience while crocheting. I highly recommend it.

You should probably get something that at least isolates noise if you're using it in public so you don't have to use crazy volume to hear wtf.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

I stg flipping out about old caps just started like 1-2 years ago. If they work, you're prob fine. Prove me wrong, but I haven't seen anything beyond singular people baselessly claiming re-capping made any noticeable change to sound to anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

qirex posted:

One of my favorite audiophile reviewer things is "tightness" or "organization" like one amp will just let some sounds float around in there. What Hi-fi is especially bad at this:

They put in writing that this amplifier makes the notes come out at the wrong time :psyduck:

It's so loving confusing to me. Same with any loving spacial things being the amp. What in the hell? It's amplifying a signal, not inventing one. It would have to be out of balance to cause any of those things.

ChaseSP posted:

I gotta ask, are there any good studies on the differences between higher end solid state and vacuum tube amps?

Tube amps add distortion, always. People just like the distortion. That's the gist of it. A higher end solid state will always measure better.