Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances

wolrah posted:

My favorite audiophile bullshit aside from the obvious easy target of wire huggers is their CD players (oh I'm sorry, I mean "optical transports").

It's a simple digital bitstream being read off a disk and then fed right out a S/PDIF port unchanged, seek time is pretty much the only thing that differentiates the things anymore and even there it's always too fast to matter. There is literally nothing different between the audio output from the cheapest PC disk drive and the most expensive "audiophile" unit yet some of those fools let themselves be convinced there is a reason to buy a single-disc unit that costs more than $100.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt when discussing the difference between two devices that handle analog signals, but when we're talking simple playback of the same digital content through only digital connections all properly functioning devices should have identical quality.

You're forgetting about jitter, which audiophiles definitely blow out of proportion but it does matter I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

When you see those rigs with the processors and amps seemingly sitting on the floor, they've almost always got them coupled to platform risers like these.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Xenomorph posted:

You could spend under $300 on sound equipment and $30 on cables and 99% of the population wouldn't be able to tell a difference between that and the idiot poo poo these people spend thousands on.

Haha are you serious? A $30,000 set-up that includes room acoustic treatment and CHEAP rear end cables will sound worlds better than a $300 set-up to pretty much anyone who isn't deaf.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Neurophonic posted:

Did you prefer the sound like this? It goes quite strongly against the measured average response curve of the human ear, and every time I’ve EQ’d a system perfectly flat it’s sounded far too bright in the midrange and like there’s nowhere near enough bass.

http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/EARS.htm

What you're saying doesn't make sense to me. If you want an accurate reproduction of an instrument, the response curve of the microphone used to record said instrument should be flat and the response curve of the speakers you are listening to should also be flat. Why would you try to have the speakers emulate the response curve of your ear? That's irrelevant.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

wasp_f15ing posted:

I know we have subs to compliment the speakers these days, but I would like to buy a floorstanding speaker which is 4 way. And the ones that have this function are seriously expensive.

<derail>

Why 4-way? There are plenty of 3-ways and even 2-ways with deep bass extension. You're really limiting yourself there. Also, what kind of extension are you looking for and what is your budget? Anyway, here are a few of my picks.

</derail>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Devian666 posted:

I don't have an issue with people preferring lovely sound output. My mother doesn't like good quality stereos or high quality sound. I think she finds it to be information overload.

I don't buy this at all. Ask her if she can't stand live, un-amped performances because even the the master tape of an symphony played on the most expensive speakers in the world wouldn't convey as much audio information as the real thing.