Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swordfishtrombone
Dec 24, 2004

the violinist kept playing

stizu posted:

He also claims that changing sources, amps, and other important pieces of equipment only make the sound different, not better. Yet he feels that the best way to improve a system is to buy things like "Magix levitation feet"

I was looking at his posts and this is how he explains it in his own words:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113/virtual-dynamics-judge-power-cable-arrived-412260/index8.html

quote:

Everytime I have changed a source or amp I didn't hear any improvements, I have only heard side-steps into different flavors. So the improvement isn't huge, it's non-existant to me. I only hear improvements from tweaks.

So the particular equipment choice apparently causes his trance music to taste different. :lsd:

Not an Anthem posted:

Why does the dude whisper and be super creepy in his videos? He is hilarious.

Well, I was going to post something nasty about him being a nutter - but then I saw what looks like his alternate youtube account:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SelektivMutism

So there you go...selective mutism...gently caress, now I feel bad.

But hey, I think he's getting better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuxkDOnjgtY

Now I REALLY want to see him get better, sell that loving cable to some rich old corporate bastard and then spend the money on some nice girl... :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swordfishtrombone
Dec 24, 2004

saltbox posted:

That guy clearly has something wrong with him. The dampening is the funniest part.

No kidding. The damping spring element for his hopped-up Playstation is a weakly inflated inner tube from a child's bicycle. I imagine the guy perhaps lurking outside his house, patiently waiting for some unwitting kid to ride past; then leaping out to capture and harvest them for makeshift audio parts. Heh, audiophiles... :pedo:

swordfishtrombone
Dec 24, 2004

mr. nazi posted:

This was the appropriate news article burn-in time.

I like to enjoy my current events the same way I enjoy the fine wine in my enormous cellar. :smug:

Hey, did you guys hear what just happened to Kennedy? :(

swordfishtrombone
Dec 24, 2004

quote:

No. That comes later. It’s those thirty-something men who lurk in hi-fi shops, discussing signal purity and oxygen-free cables and FLACs. I should know—I was very nearly one of them.

I dunno if that comparison really works. Lossy is lossy, and lossless is lossless. A FLAC album is about the same size as ONE tv show episode, and once it's downloaded a person has something on their enormous hard drive that is indistinguishable from a CD. Then you can make your own choices about how much you're willing to shrink it down for ipod.

quote:

The downside is that people are encouraged to own far more music than they can ever give their full attention to. People will have MP3s of every Miles Davis’ record but never think of hearing any of them twice in a row—there’s just too much to get through. You’re thinking, “I’ve got ‘Sketches of Spain and ‘Bitches Brew’—let’s zip through those while I’m finishing that e-mail.” That abundance can push any music into background music, furniture music.

This however I agree with 100%. I hate getting lots of stuff all at once. I hate the idea of a really great album ONLY ever being background music or worse, speaker calibrating music. Although I don't have a 'listening chair' where I sit with closed eyes having some kind of weird acoustic orgasm, I do TRY to give 80%-90% of my attention to the music, even if the other 10%=20% is browsing photos on flickr or something.