Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

BANME.sh posted:

To switch gears a bit, I am debating whether or not I should replace all of the old electrolytic capacitors in my vintage Marantz receiver. It works fine, and it sounds good to me, but you know how everyone says "those old caps are dried up, better replace them before they burn out and damage something else!!".

Electrically, is there any difference between one capacitor and another, assuming they have the same V, uF and even tolerance? What if they are in the direct audio signal path, can it affect the sound?

Acoustically, no, there's no difference as long as the capacitors are the same specs. Poly and ceramic caps do not degrade in the same way electrolytic capacitors do, so by switching to them you guarantee a (hypothetically) much, much longer life and guarantee for farad, voltage, and tolerance specifications for your vintage equipment. My A/D/S speakers were still rocking the original ceramic crossover components before I put my own Parts-Express-Special poly caps in them simply because I could. But unlike crossovers, capacitors in non-audio-dependent circuitry have little to no effect on sound unless something is not working properly to begin with.

Barring that, you should get those capacitors that are suspended in wax. They turn to liquid when warmed up and that is rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU