Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Khablam posted:

It might be a digitally identical copy, but you can't say whether it's the same or better unless you've ABXed the two.
Oh, and I don't mean "ABX" - that's too clinical and you won't get true results, you just need to live with the cable a while and you'll see it's better. I've done this with all my cables, and I've never regretted buying any of them.

-- Paraphrased quote from a guy over at that logic-forsaken hellhole last time I used to register there to troll.
I had to stop for my own sanity and internal vision of humanity.

e: In case it's been forgotten, talking about scientific tests (ABXing) is actually banned on Head-Fi :psyduck:
Videophiles are an entirely different echelon of crazy, but at least there are standards for video calibration. Most of them also go nuts for sound systems too so there is cross over. I have a semi custom installation and went out of my way to find someone who had reasonable, sane ideas and understood the concept of 'good enough' and was willing to patch the drywall holes he made when doing the work.
I still can't believe that ABX is bankable over there. At least a few of the threads I have seen mention your brain as needing to adjust to new sound signatures in addition to the mythical "burn in."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Fanelien posted:

I changed the locks on an audiophile's house recently, he spent half the time complaining about the girl that left him and the other half explaining how much his audio set up cost and how awesome it was. I got bored about half way through and just noted the brands. Most of the setup was Gryphon, with this turntable

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10143080-1.html

He had "do not touch" signs on everything, including his cable risers. Crazy bastard, wish I'd taken pictures.
I sincerely hope that you can play that with all four tone arms at once.
In other news I fully expect to be banned from Head fi for suggesting that people listen and decide on what to buy for themselves rather than go on charts and graphs. That and for suggesting that many high end products would ALL sound good!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Somehow I got on the physical mailing like for Mapleshade. The only thing I figure is that Headfi sold my name and address, which is extra strange since they don't have my address. But nevertheless I received a catalog, addressed to me, at my correct address. :tinfoil:

Come, gather round and let's go on a little trip, since said catalog is *gasp* in handy internet form for our mocking and horror.

The catalog starts of well enough, with things like 'CDs that sound better than SACD' (all by artists you have never heard of, and then gets into CD and LP cleaners, and Deoxit stuff for cleaning contacts, and then all of the specialty tube cleaners.

Then things go straight for the audiophile wacky.

Fifty kinds of brass feet to put under your poo poo.

$70 cyrogenically treated wall socket (may or may not burn down your house) check

$700+ 'Time Corrected' wood speaker stand WTF

Power strips that I swear were from the dollar store with the cable cut off and replaced with cellophane. Talk about profit margin. I hope you have good fire insurance. Wait, if you have a home theater you have to get one of the power strips glued down to a wood cutting board.

Cable lifters? Sure, but what about cable spreaders? Yes, they want you to uwrap your power cords and separate the individual wires with motherfucking chopsticks.

Okay, I'm done. I used fourteen gauge goddamned lamp cord to wire my first speakers. Maybe I still have some laying around.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

At least they stuck it in the freezer to "cryogenically" treat the CD player.
Maybe I should put all my electronics in the freezer?

What's with the power cables with the blocks of wood with connectors on them? This stuff just makes me :psypop:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

I was just talking about regular copper piping, then plastidipping giving them a dielectric shielding treatment, after filling them with silica dioxide to control the low ends, as they "tend to travel deeper in the skin."

This is brilliant. You could set a new high watermark in what can be charged for 'cables.'

Just make sure to use the thinnest possible copper pipe so it can kind of flex. That or offer a line of treated copper pipe junctions so people can plumb up their runs!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

e: f; b but still worth it

Umm it, er, um , eliminates jitter. Somehow

It involves four hours of some kind of treatment with crystals. I think they like put them near special rocks that do stuff. And things.

Its like I understand each word on the page, but I don't understand what they mean together.

gently caress it heres the text:

quote:

Digital Interconnects can ruin or transform the sound of any DAC. Our radically different cable design greatly reduces the main cause of digital harshness, jitter-standard hi-end digital cables increase jitter. At $43, our Ultrathins routinely outperform famous audiophile brand digital wires and optical cables costing $1000 and up. The Double Helix Digital version offers better-defined and sweeter treble, more warmth and about a half octave deeper bass than the Ultrathin.

Design and Performance:

• Ultra-low skin effect due to ultra-thin, single strand conductors.

• High purity copper, drawn and tempered to our specification.

• Absolute minimum dielectric (insulation) losses due to a loose-fitting, thin dielectric sleeve, composed of polymer compounds selected by ear.

• The Double Helix offers a proprietary double helix field-canceling configuration (with our unique grounding scheme) to minimize all signal interactions between the + and – signal conductors.

• The best-sounding RCA connectors available in high-end audio, significantly better sounding than Cardas or WBT and custom-produces to our specification.

• Four hours of our proprietary treatment to modify the crystallographic properties of the copper conductors.

• Chemical treatment of the dielectric sleeve to improve surface conductivity.

INSTALLATION TIPS FOR MAX PERFORMANCE

WARNING: DO NOT USE ANY BREAK-IN DEVICES OF ANY KIND ON OUR WIRES! They will seriously degrade the sound. Use only music to break in our cables.

• Install the interconnects with the double color band plugs toward the music source, provided the source component’s output is in correct absolute phase. If the source component puts out an inverted phase signal, then you need to reverse the interconnect. If not, you will suffer degraded sonic performance.

• Slightly unscrew (clockwise, seen from the rear) the RCA plug’s outer shell (while firmly gripping the base) to make plugging in easier. Then lock the plug by tightening the shell (counterclockwise) until the plug grips the jack firmly. You may have to turn the shell quite hard to lock, because we occasionally get some of our sleeve binding tape onto the shell threads.

• Keep the interconnects away from AC wires, and never running alongside the AC wires. If they need to cross AC wires, have them cross at right angles (approximately). Keep the interconnects away from any plastic; in particular, keep them at least 4 inches away from artificial fiber rugs and plastic wall moldings.

• A further small improvement can be made by “fluffing” the sleeves so they do not lay flat against the whole length of the wire inside the sleeve. You can do this by blowing into one of the RCA plugs. The sleeve will puff up, then partially collapse. The idea here is to keep as much air as possible between the sleeve and the signal wire inside it.

THE PLUS OPTION
Another Step Up

All Clearview wires are available in a PLUS version, using conductors with our new stress-relieved metallurgy. The PLUS Option yields two primary upgrades:

• Decreases brightness and grain in high frequencies, reducing edginess in the upper treble without sacrificing detail; this is particularly noticeable with music coming from a digital source (i.e. CD players, computers, and iPods). The breathiness of singers and flutes, the metallic ring of cymbals is better articulated and less abrasive. PLUS is especially beneficial for digital interconnects sources, significantly reducing listening fatigue.

• PLUS lowers the soundstage noise floor, resulting in a quieter, more blacker background. This makes the most difference in quiet passages: held guitar or piano chords sustain longer and resonate more clearly as they fade into silence. Newly discovered details and nuances emerge from the negative space of the music on good recordings.

For fans of well-recorded acoustic music, small group jazz, or chamber music, we recommend PLUS without hesitation. Listening to loud, compressed recordings, the improvements will be audible but much more subtle.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

grack posted:

I didn't even read that part. Is it bad that I'm now imagining a bunch of audiophiles crawling around on the floor trying to give their AV cables blowjobs? 'Cause the more text you read, the worse it gets.

Wouldn't you want to fill the plastic bag with like Nitrogen or something? I mean, with all the audiophile stuff about oxygen free cables, exhaling air with both oxygen and moisture from your breath seems like the most anti-audiophile thing to do ever.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Blistex posted:

I know one of them is stage placement!
When enabled you can close your eyes and tell exactly where everyone was standing during the recording session.

I was thinking it would have been great to have done this thread 100% tongue-in-cheek/sarcastic (with a title to match). Would have been hilarious to see random goons posting in here and losing their poo poo thinking we were serious and spending more on cables and magic crystals than the posters at AI were on new cars.

The best part of the stage placement test is switching from mono to stereo and back when you change cables (don't really change cables, just switch mono/stereo).

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

Audiophiles > Oenophiles > Beer nerds > IPA nerds > Pepper nerds. This is how I see it, so it's the absolute truth. People who pay 40000€ for some cables are down right crazy but people who have ever used the term scoville outside of academic conversation are deplorable scum. :tipshat::can: (I don't know where camera geeks fit in because I've happily not been subjected to camera geekery.)

Now I want to find a picture of someone wearing an Orpheus, drinking a '62 Chateau Latour, hops drying on a rack overhead and a hydroponic hybrid pepper plant under special lights.

Picture must be taken from either a vintage Leica or some kind of scanning back Hassleblad, whist wearing not a fedora but a porkpie cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

No, you guys are missing the point. The speakers they used in the test were total crap and were the problem. More expensive speakers would totally sound better with the higher end setup.