Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
With all the placebos these people take, it's surprising that all audiophiles aren't four hundred pounds and diabetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

porksmash posted:

Just... wow.

Please don't do this.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Cemetry Gator posted:

'darkened' high-ends musicality sonic compromises treble a little harsh soundstaging imaging great beauty to the sound glare lack of warmth and air

I went ahead and collected all the words in that review that don't mean anything.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
How would you guys feel about a fun activity that involved ridiculing audiophiles?

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

stizu posted:

Are you suggesting a forum invasion King Hotpants?

What I'm suggesting is a contest, where forum users here go to an audiophile forum and start trying to post ridiculous poo poo without getting called out as trolls. They're doing a similar contest in D&D involving freepers, so I thought it could be fun if we applied this to the only other group I know that's completely devoid of logic or reason.

The basics:
1. Register an account on an audiophile forum like head-fi
2. PM me your account name
3. Post ridiculous poo poo without getting banned
4. If you get other people to agree with you, you win. The most outrageous stuff wins a prize (I'll probably do the top three or something).
5. If you get banned, or outed as a troll/making poo poo up, you lose.
6. If you manage to get a legitimate user banned as a troll, you win.

I'll sticky this thread or a new one just like it. Don't post anything in TA/VA that would get you banned on the other forum; someone will probably find it.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

big mean giraffe posted:

If the prize isn't one of those $1000 bag of magic sound rocks then I am not interested :colbert:

You want a bag of rocks? I'll send you a bag of rocks. They'll be as magic as you want them to be.

metaxus posted:

As an employee of the Hi-Fi world, I'll gladly make and send three audiophile-related prizes to the winners as determined by King Hotpants.

It's my day off tomorrow, but when I'm back in the following day I'll make them and take some pics of the awesome prizes on offer.

You just might score some special Australian bags of magic pebbles!

You're the best!

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
We're live.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3181168

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Omegaslast posted:

are we going to get to know what the prizes are? i can think of several tweaks but i dont think anyone at head-fi will fall for them unless i put a shitload of effort into it and take pics of me actually doing it...

I'm going to dig around in my A/V closet and see if I can find a really good prize. I'm sure I have something in there that would be awesome.

Also, you guys can discuss the contest in the contest thread. Just get a different username when you sign up on another forum.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

TheMadMilkman posted:

That's very true, but at least they're looking at the best-polished turd imaginable, right? This next year should be a really interesting one to watch in terms of price/performance, though. Runco's new LED-based DLP, for example, is apparently nothing short of amazing, albeit somewhat limited in terms of brightness and therefore screen size. Some very knowledgeable industry insiders have said it has the most film-like picture of any projector they've seen, regardless of price. It retails for only $15-18,000.

The one 1080p LED projector I've seen so far did not look film-like at all, and I am moderately sure that it was just a rebadged Runco.

It kind of hurts my brain when I see "only" and "$15,000" next to each other. Especially for a 1080p projector.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Hey, you know what's awesome? Whiny bitch-fests about minutiae!

Wait, that's a lie, those are awful. Go back to laughing at stupid people.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
From now on, whenever I'm saying something dumb, I will slip a "Science." in there. It makes it so much more believable.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Stares At Floor posted:

Those aren't picks those are pics.

Congratulations!

I have good news for you, user Stares At Floor! You decided to make a stupid, nit-picky, worthless, and ultimately incorrect post in a thread that plenty of people enjoy, which has brought the wrath of the forum moderation team! But fear not--I'm going to give you an opportunity to redeem yourself. Yes, folks, it's time for a

:siren: MOD CHALLENGE! :siren:

Here is your chance to save yourself from banning! Pick one of the following options:

1. Write 1,000 words on the etymology of the noun pick, especially its relation to the transitive verb form meaning "to choose from a group."

2. Take a picture of yourself doing or holding at least five pick-related things. No two can be the same.

3. Write 1,000 words on pedantry. It must be completely correct in both spelling and grammar.

4. Get video of yourself staring at the floor while someone throws guitar picks at you. It must last at least two minutes and you cannot move or speak.

You have until Tuesday at 12:00 PM Pacific Standard Time to complete one of these challenges. Good luck! Oh, and if someone else completes one of these challenges before you do, you get banned. Hooray!

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

timb posted:

Here I am picking which shirt to wear.

Here I am picking my nose!

Here I am picking a lovely flower. :3:

Here I am picking some rocks, like some sort of convict on a chain gang!

Here I am air picking my mother loving air guitar like some sort of air rockstar! :black101:

Originally I intended for this to be all one picture, but since my original wording was unclear, I'll allow it. Awesome job! Would you like a new title or something for kicking rear end?

:siren: BONUS MERCY ROUND: Stares At Floor, you still have 12 hours to save yourself! I know that wasn't in the rules, but you doing something sounds like more fun than you not doing something, so if you do a good job I will spare your life!

King Hotpants fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 1, 2009

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Time has expired. timb, if there are any forum upgrades you are lacking, I'll give you a free one in exchange for your hilarious hard work.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Please do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
It saddens me that governments are stupid enough to pay for those things, but I hope that guy goes to jail forever. That's not separating fools from money. That's getting people killed.