Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

no... words....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Somewhere in deepest Scotland, Big Clive wakes up in a cold sweat knowing the most dangerous device ever has been unearthed.

I dunno... It's a toss up between that adapter and the electrode water heaters. Any water they touch becoming live...

stevewm
May 10, 2005

ItBreathes posted:

Unfortunately I couldn't find anyone who had forgone connectors altogether and soldered all of their components together.

Let's all start floating this idea out on the various audiophile forums.. And then laugh when all the pictures of soldered "interconnects" and power cords start rolling in.

i SOLDERED THE POWER CABLE DIRECTLY TO MY DAC! THE SOUND STAGE IS SO MUCH MORE OPEN NOW, MORE SO THAN ANY OTHER MOD I HAVE EVER DONE! SOLDER ALL YOUR CONNECTIONS NOW!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

KillHour posted:

Checks out.

Really surprised to not see a "Netscape Navigator" banner in that screenshot.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I don't see any bags of Brilliant Pebblesİ. His sound stage is probably so dull.....

stevewm
May 10, 2005

qirex posted:

The amount of money some people will dump into making a format with 60db of dynamic range sound better is personally pretty hilarious.

But... but... my soundstage! :cry:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Woof, how slow was that?

Dunno about that particular device, but parallel ports could be fairly fast (for the time). In excess of 2MB/sec using EPP or ECP mode. Way faster than a serial port, and also faster than USB 1.1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

I work in a music store and had a guy call the other day trying to restore some ADAT tapes. He was asking about splicing them, like analog tape (or film). I didn't know what to tell him. There's no way you could do that accurately, right? Without like an electron microscope? Helical head and all?

ADAT is digital audio recorded onto consumer VHS tapes. Splicing is a perfectly valid way of repairing broken VHS tapes to make them playable again. You just need to make a clean cut and put it back together with some thin adhesive tape that is the preferably the same width as the tape itself. I've done it before with regular Scotch tape. Wasn't pretty, but it worked without destroying the VCR.

You will never get it perfect.. The audio will cut out and glitch at the splice point, but at least the tape will be playable again.