Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

88h88 posted:

For a giggle I went full bore on the additional options on that first link. I ended up with a $15k mac mini.

That poo poo is loving incredible.

What is the thing underneath the mac mini?

Is it some magical sound spheres encased in lucite??

Edit: whoops, clicked the other link and found out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I can hear the difference between 128 and 360 but then I get listener fatigue :(

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

sethsez posted:

You can't tell the difference between FLAC and ALAC any more than you can tell the difference between a WAV that was once in a ZIP vs a RAR. They're lossless, that's the entire point. This isn't MP3 vs AAC here, the end result is literally identical.

He's saying he can hear a difference between lossless and 360kbps lossy files. His purchases don't make a lot of sense, but this does. I can hear the difference (I just don't care) pretty easily. Whether I'd be able to identify which was compressed or lossless is another matter but I'd be able to hear a difference.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 14, 2014

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Khablam posted:

Nope.

If you go to hydrogenaudio or elsewhere where the local audiophiles accept and encourage ABX tests, even the most ardent of them will tell you anything above 192 is transparent in any format, and AAC nearly-always at 160 too.

I've *never* seen anyone ABX 320kbs on a codec made after 2005 unless they're uploading tiny samples to point out a specific artifact that occurs in order to improve errors in the codec.

The only reason to use lossless is to avoid issues where, 5 years later, you hear a bit of artifacting in one song when played on a $50,000 setup in perfect conditions and this ends up annoying you.

If you think 320 sounds "lossy" to you, do yourself a favour and ABX yourself.

e: somehow thought I was replying to the end of the thread, but eh the point remains.

Jesus. I'm not even an audiophile, I listen to my music most of the time in the car over Bluetooth. I don't think 320 sounds lossy in the sense that I wouldn't subject my ears to such garbage. I've downloaded 320kbps mp3s that sounded like crap, likely due to a lovely rip, then downloaded flac files of the same album that sounded better. I don't feel superior because I can hear the difference, I just stated that I have heard a difference.

lovely rips are possible with mp3 but ripping a CD to flac is guaranteed to be the same poo poo that's on the CD.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Hanging out in a darkroom is fun. Efficiency isn't everything. There's something really cool about watching the image appear on the paper when it sits in the developer.

I don't like it because it's better and I certainly wouldn't spend audiophile money on it, but it's fun to do.

Also when taking pictures of planets and stars with my telescope on film I can use the enlarger to blow up the picture of Jupiter without the pixelation that would result if I had blown up a digital photo to the same size.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Wasabi the J posted:

USB autodetects which wire is which, making it functionally reversible. Someone figured out that a trapezoid shape will fit Upside down in the ports making a faux USB C.

The end that goes into the computer is the one that's confusing. I can see how a reversible micro-usb connector would work, but the other end... I believe it does (the reviews say it does, sometimes poorly) I'm just curious about the mechanism and none of the reviews actually delved into how the end that goes into the computer/usb port actually accomplishes the ability to go in backwards. Is the plastic bit holding the connectors flexible and floating in there?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Google play music is gapless out of the box even with all of my stuff streaming from the Google music library.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Panty Saluter posted:

crosspostin'

That looks unsettling and I'm genuinely a little creeped out by that picture.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

The Devil Tesla posted:

That would be cool if it hung on the wall like one of these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz4AZqqOqcw

I used to have one of these

It's a Linear tracking turntable and this particular one can be mounted to a wall. I never had it in that configuration though.

I don't have that one anymore. I have a different linear tracker, a Technics SL-J33. It's not wall mountable nor is it playable in vertical orientation. But it looks cool and that's why I have it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
What are the red can things?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Yeah it's sensationalist bullshit that doesn't mean anything. Nothing will change other than some legal shot which was mostly irrelevant now anyway. Same thing happened with GIF a while back. I guess that's why I haven't seen or heard of GIF since then. What a dead format that is.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

qirex posted:

Some dude was trying to prove that lossless wasn't lossless so he took a WAV, converted it to FLAC and back to WAV and lo and behold the checksums were different! This proves the fallibility of 'lossless' compression!
the checksum difference was because of differing file names

I'm not saying he's correct about the file becoming lossy, but a filename change shouldn't affect a checksum. There could be some metadata injected into the file header by whatever conversion software he was using.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I had a roommate once who bought white van speakers. It was a 5.1 system with the receiver in the subwoofer box, similar to what you would see on a set of computer surround speakers.

He came home from the bank really excited that he'd found an awesome deal. These dudes stopped him on his way back to the car after doing some business at a bank. They said "we just got finished doing an install at a house in this neighborhood and there was some extra equipment on the order. Our boss is just going to take these for himself when we get back to the shop, so how about we sell 'em to you real cheap?" My roommate asks how much and they throw out $700. They had a copy of Home Theater Buyers Guide magazine and flipped to a page that had an ad for this exact speaker system and the text "MSRP: $2400." He's convinced he's getting a good deal. He talks them down to $500. They even throw in the magazine.

He gets home and he's like "help me hook up this new system!!!" And tells me the story all excited. Immediately I jump on the internet to look at some reviews and can only find one page about these speakers anywhere. It's an ebay auction with a Buy it Now of $50 with more than 100 units available.

I showed it to him and he cried.

He also sold Herbalife for a while, gave his social security number to a cold-calling credit counselor telemarketer who also charged him $450 to fix his credit. What he actually got was a book with credit card company addresses that you're supposed to write to and ask for debt negotiation. Oh and his identity stolen by the seller. Now he sells magnetic pain relieving bracelets at metaphysical fairs and poo poo. Also he's a dirty pedophile.

After I showed him that the speakers were poo poo they just stayed in the box for months. I ended up using them in my bedroom because they weren't horrible. The outer casing of the speakers were plastic made to look like metal but the bottoms were actually pretty thick metal, presumably so they would have some weight to them and feel premium. Unfortunately after a couple days of hanging on my wall the glue holding one of the metal weights on the bottom of the left rear speaker gave up in the middle of the night, the metal weight hitting me in the head and waking me up.

I guess what I'm saying here is don't buy white van speakers.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

are you looking for a different thread, or perhaps a federal form field?

It's just good to have some background to round out a character.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

iospace posted:

What do they listen to anyway?

The wailing of their starving children and Yello

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

BobHoward posted:

Fishmech, you’re falling down on the job here, you didn’t bother to watch the video you yourself posted and have thus managed to avoid existing in your favorite posting state (being technically correct). It has two styluses and therefore two tone arms, one for each side, probably because it was way cheaper and more reliable to build that way than the Rube Goldberg idea you imagined. It’s still overcomplicated and bad, but not in that way.

There are laserdisc players that work that way and they are a pain in the rear end to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

ewiley posted:

Three hundred and fifty dollar Ethernet cable... THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS

https://www.musicdirect.com/cables/Shunyata-Sigma-Ethernet-Cable?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIibXN8d7f6gIVygiICR11lAQYEAQYAiABEgKoqvD_BwE

The Alpha is a THOUSAND?!?.. I..

Holy poo poo $9000 power cable

https://www.musicdirect.com/cables/Shunyata-Omega-QR-Power-Cable-20A