Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I honestly doubt that anything will ever eclipse Shure KSE stuff being fed by Klang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I’ve never seen or heard of anything that’ll do that. Everything’s gone to full CarPlay or Bluetooth streaming now. Closest you’ll get to your current setup without an Apple device is a new head unit that can read media over USB and a 1tb stick.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Yeah that thing owns and I’d buy it if I had that cash.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

shortspecialbus posted:

Dont some of the fancier newer iphones also have USB-C and no analog 3.5mm? I remember a bunch of uproar about that.

All iPhones are lightning still as far as I know. I think the only thing that has moved to a normal standard is the iPad pro

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The whole USB-C / TB3 / Whatever mess drives me completely insane. I hate everything about it. It's just all nonsense. There is absolutely no way to know what the gently caress is going on most of the time.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
There are so many cool audio ICs now. I was looking at building an 8 channel ADAT dac at one point for a project but didn't get much further than just reading datasheets. They do absolutely everything for you if you just give them a clock.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Probably a market for basic IO boxes in the style of Dangerous Music but without the pricetag. I'd get a clone of a CONVERT-2 from Crowd Supply without much thought.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
is there a non-audiophile DIY audio gear thread? I think I saw an electronics thread buried in DIY or something.

Wonder how cheap you could make a linear timecode clock that isn't megabucks. :haw:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Neurophonic posted:

If it isn’t megabucks or esoteric it has no place in the market.

I’ve watched a well respected - but also very much up his own arse - speaker designer use an atomic clock to drive his DAC at a demo.

https://en.antelopeaudio.com/products/audiophile-10m/

I mean, in the context of our conversation about just building basic poo poo without stupid overspecced components. I know a few places that would kill for a cheap LTC clock with xlr in and out they could chain around control.

EDIT: Post the amp model.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

alex314 posted:

Now I'm picturing some ultra rich dude building a sealed chamber in which he tests various gasses impact on sound. Imagine how much cred he'd get in audiophile circles with reviews of pure nitrogen vs mix with CO2 impact on warmth and range. And once few others asphyxiate manage to get those setups too he can add controlled air pressure. I'm sure Mt. Everest levels really transform the lows.

I've heard something a band with too much money and ego trying to convince their label to pay for drum stems recorded in a nitrogen atmosphere with the drummer in a respirator but I think it's a stupid sound engineer urban legend.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I knew there had to be some on SA somewhere, desperate to farrrrrrt about the liquidity of the soundstage.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

shortspecialbus posted:

My old Cerwin Vega enormous speakers that I got in the 90's had fuses, and when I used those speakers for house parties in college I had to keep a stack of fuses on hand to replace them mid-party because inevitably someone would turn it up too loud. Thank goodness for those fuses.

Those were the perfect speakers for that kind of thing.

The first place I worked doing live sound had Peavey hisys stuff that used lightbulbs internally as fuses for the horns. Only saw them light up once. I was unaware, up until that point, that they were in there. I thought the stacks were burning.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Alan_Shore posted:

I was absolutely not expecting the thread to pine for MiniDiscs but it warms the cockles of my heart.

I'm surprised no one mentioned this beauty in my picture. Practically the first MP3 player. 32Mb of storage. Absolutely blew everyone away when I brought it on a school trip. Impossible to use now without a serial port (or you buy a 32Mb CF card. I bought a 64Mb one to try my luck but NOPE)

I had that Rio. It was a parallel port. :goonsay:

The pass through function of the cable so you could keep your printer attached never worked for me so I had to crawl around under my desk each time I wanted to swap.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I have experienced the Valve a couple of times and it is absolutely obscene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
A long lead time after paying out / waitlist to even be accepted to purchase the product is a bug not a feature.

P r e m i u m.