Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot
I'm fortunate enough to have a room all to myself for my stereo, it's main purpose in life is a stereo setup, Boston VR speakers, good amp and a good SACD/DVD-A cd player. There are surrounds and the like with a display, but it's main use is 2 channel listening. Not audiophile level stuff, but prosumer easily. The shop I used for this stuff tried so hard to get me into 1000+ dollar interconnects and hugely expensive isolation systems, even let me demo the things. What I ended up doing that was buying ~200 bucks worth of flame resistant acoustic foam rolls and making the room acoustic friendly. Did way more than exotic interconnects and artificial sine wave inducing power supplies and other such things. Good room to nap in as well, real quiet.

Also for 45 bucks I got enough black fabric to pleat and make the side walls look like the big heavy curtains in a theatre, looks cool and eliminates reflected light from painted walls.

I'm all about cheap mods that garner results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot

thataaronguy posted:

I am not big on large speakers; I prefer headphones.

I want the full experience when listening to my cans, so I've been pioneering a head dampening system, with some pretty impressive results!

I have pierced my ears, and wear earrings made of carbon nano tubes under my headphones.

Easily 47.3% performance increase over undamped heads.

For a smoother listening experience slowly leak a noble gas (argon for instance, radon for the hardcore audiophile) under the cups. The consistency of the gas will ensure a proper soundstage and being an ideal gas the results of any tests will be very repeatable.

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot
How about some long heating-pad like things that stretch from the speaker to the listeners seating position. That way the temp of the air is consistent. Thermic air-column generators sounds expensive. Studio rated covers could be optioned.

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot

El Mariachi posted:

Too many audiophiles these days consider a dreadfully short list of variables in creating their soundstage. Yes, those gold-standard better than studio speakers produce a lively and warm sound, at your friends house. Your rainbow discs are able to get rid of the annoying judder and add warmth to the environment, at a buddies basement. Your acoustic tiling does a lot to eliminate unwanted echo.

But in reality we all know that it doesn't matter what capacitors you use, or your speakers- its where you use them. Many of us have had the dreadful experience of feverishly trying to reconfigure their room for optimal staging. It takes hours of labor based on scientific measurements that... well they don't seem to pay off.

There's a reason for that: it's not just whats on your walls. It's whats in your room.

Hi, my name is John Harting. I have struggled long and hard with 'building the perfect room'. First I spent a lot of money on music hardware. It got me nowhere. I spent money on reconfiguring my room. That made little dent.

A little more than a year ago, I stumbled on the discovery that would change my life.

Music is just one of my passions. I also would be called, as a magazine would state it "Cigar Aficiando".

I knew some people in the business and was able to get a good deal on a custom-built walk-in humidor a few years ago. I keep all of my choice cigars in there. One day I went inside to pick out a (name redacted), and my iphone rang (ringtone is a little ditty I like to call "Bach's ballbuster") and I could not believe my ears. The dinky little speaker on the iphone made the deepest, richest and clearest soundstage I have ever heard. I was so dumbfounded I missed a call from my financial planner (and ended up losing 100,000 on a deal!). I didn't even care. I just stared at disbelief at my cell phone. How could this gadget provide the richness of sound that I had been wanting all of this time? I immediately went through all of my ringtones just to see if it was an aberration. All of my ringtones sounded as if I was right there as the song was being recorded.

I immediately went to the local hardware store and picked up a humidifier and cranked it up in my listening room. The sound came out so much richer that I couldn't believe it- but it felt like something was holding it back. It turns out that the humidifier not only made too much noise, but its design ricochet sound around the room causing acoustic juddering.

So I ripped the thing apart and made some improvements. After much labor I finally made the humidifier soundproof and acoustically transparent. The difference was unbelievable. I wasn't done experimenting. After time I found out that by adding a certain type of salt to the humidifier that the soundstage was beyond believable.

So, friends, after much work and investment on my part I am pleased to announce the Harting Acoustic Humidifier and Harting Acoustic Space Heater.

There's no dial to set on your part. The Harting Acoustic Humidifier will automatically sense and release enough humidity for the perfect soundstage. In conjunction with the Harting Acoustic Space Heater (which both can be connected to each other), it will create the optimal listening environment that your room has been missing for decades.

I'm also working on refining the salt mixture for the Harting Acoustic Humidifier, and let me tell you it is going to be amazing. Tests already show a 40% improvement over regular humidified air as well. I'll be offering this in a special purified water solution with the perfect amount of the salt mixture added for the best effect.

The Harting Acoustic Humidifier is available now, for only $5,000. I will be releasing the manufacturing specs to my supplier for the Space Heater in June of 2010, with an estimated price of $5,100. Folks, this is a small investment on your part to expand your soundstage to galactic proportions. We expect to be able to deliver the Harting Acoustic Humidifier Solution by August of 2010. We do not have an MSRP as of yet but early studies show it will cost us around $300 to develop each liter.

It was sooooo good he lost 100k on a deal, but does not care. The paltry 5k for his box o' musically charged moisture is but 1/20th of his REAL costs. Potentially corrosive atmosphere and whisperings of toxic black mold for only 5k! Sign me up.