Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Decairn posted:

I use an Oppo player for that. With added convenience it will also stream from my NAS music or video.

Is there a way to get it to play from my nas without putting a gap between songs? Bdp-103

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

slomomofo posted:

are your network plugs gold-plated? if not- hopeless.

Network Jacks? Pfft. I use RFC1149 for airier highs and more dynamic drops.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

I knew this was going to be pigeon protocol before I even clicked. Love it.

The embarrassing thing is I don't even have to look up the number because I reference it so often

Edit: VVV I'm glad someone got it.

shortspecialbus fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 12, 2014

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

If it wasn't that many people saying such stupid poo poo, accompanied with pictures of their gear and listening rooms, I'd say this is one big and elaborate prank. What mental gymnastics have there to be to claim that transports that delivers user data 100% perfect, yet fucks up sound?

At this point, I'm surprised that there isn't a community of digital photographers claiming similar poo poo, that devices besides the camera and display, like storage and cables, take influence on their digital data.

The ONLY way there may be even a smidge of truth to what this moron is saying is if they have some sort of interference going on inside the computer. The headphone jack on my Mac Pro at work does weird things when drives are spinning and the sound gets hosed with extremely noticeably. He may have some sort of similar thing where an analog output is getting screwed with a bit, and changing drives MAY (but probably not) have an effect on that. If he's sending it out digital via SPDIF or something though, that's horseshit beyond horseshit.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

He's using a NAS. It's just sending data over his network.

Then he's an idiot.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

luncheon meat posted:

Yup, and I believe you can even mod a lot of phones to output up to 192khz, which I'm sure will be somewhere in the specs of this thing.

Well thank goodness for that.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

Prison Sex by Tool is actually a really good song to test speakers.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

bigman.50grand posted:

That the reviewer is absolutely mental.

He is unique in that with audiophile reviews as they're usually really sensible.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

fart simpson posted:

Yeah but that's pointless even in crazy audiophile theory.

And cosmic ray absorbing rocks and audiophile ethernet cables are somehow more sensible than that?

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

KillHour posted:

But that way, you get a whole 8 bits of digital volume control without affecting the integrity of the signal!

Just make sure you don't install the knob backwards

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

I am a so I still like physical media for movies. I also live out in the boonies and can't stream 4k because my internet is too slow. If physical media for movies ever goes away, I'll probably be one of the last hanger-ons. I apparently am also an old man because I like having a nice stereo (although at this point it's a nice 7.2.4 for movies) and am not satisfied with watching movies with just tv speakers or a soundbar or on my phone.

I have switched pretty much entirely to spotify for music though. It's just movies I'm super picky about.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

metallicaeg posted:

If you wanted to up your budget then you can be like me and get big gently caress off 12" Cerwin Vega towers with the matching center and bookshelves.

Back in high school in the 90's I managed to score a set of brand new Cerwin Vega Re-series speakers (I forget the exact model, but they had 12" woofers - Re-30 maybe?) from Best Buy for 1/4 price because they were open box and one of the grilles had the tiniest flaw in it. Those speakers were enormous and served me very well through college. I only got rid of them because they really didn't work well for surround sound setups because they were so much louder than everything else, 6-ohm, and I didn't want to try to track down matching surrounds for them. Plus with subwoofers being a thing I didn't really need such enormous speakers as my tastes went from listening to loud music to watching loud movies.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

Nerobro posted:

Someone's gotta offer headphones with twisted pairs for the individual headphone channels... If they don't, you just found your license to print money with audiophiles.

lol if you don't think they'll retort with some silly bullshit about the twisting changing the pitch or phase or timing or soundstage. I mean they won't even agree to use balanced cables because magic voodoo reasons.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

Nerobro posted:

Some, sure. But the other half will swear by them. You could also make claims (legitimate ones) that twisted pair prevents outside electromagnetic fiels from introducing signals into your crystal clean audio. :-)

No, because that actually has some scientific merit behind it, even if not much. Anything that's scientifically proven to actually help with anything is bullshit. Speaker cable stands to keep them off the floor, harmonically balanced, of course, are much better because you can't prove it with science, only with golden ears.

Edit: had misread, thought you said something about cosmic woo woo

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

Tubes are great for making music, though! Just listen to this loving organ at the beginning of the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNZPNv0Df9c

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

qirex posted:

"I like the sound of my system better" is a perfectly reasonable thing to say, even if it's "I spent a hundred grand on tubes, cable risers, power conditioners and other tweako bullshit to get my sound exactly how I want it." There's no shame in it, you have a system you love. Why does what necessarily have to translate to "everyone else's system is crap?"

Because nobody who spends that kind of money has that kind of self-awareness. At best, you'll get something about how THEY can hear the difference because they have golden ears or some poo poo. You're never going to get anyone to say "Yeah, it may not be as technically accurate, but I like how it sounds so I'm happy." It's always going to at least passive-aggressively trash everyone else, especially anyone who doesn't understand how this $100k system is objectively better in every way.

Nobody cares if people spend money on a hobby that they like - it's when they poo poo talk everyone else and/or say wildly inaccurate things in order to talk others into spending money that doesn't do anything. It stops being about getting their sound at that point.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm pulling this number out of my bum but I will be very surprised if someone can prove I'm wrong: about 100% of people are very happy with sub-30 speakers/headphones for their computer (there's a lot of people with computers and speakers, and the models that seem to run out the quickest are the 29,90 sets on sale).

Using an anecdotal subset of my friends, who all play a lot of computer games, they're more spending ~$150 on computer speakers. I would imagine that people who aren't playing a lot of games are perfectly happy with the $30 ones. I myself spent $120 on a 2.0 system and added a $250 6" subwoofer. I also have a large 7.2.4 atmos system for my home theatre/console gaming TV. I live in the country and don't have neighbors who can hear me so I think I'm not in the norm with that.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

That is the silliest word salad I've seen in quite some time.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

evobatman posted:

I can picture the target buyers as computer users who loved Soundblaster cards in the 90s, and now has Silicon Valley disposable income. If I were one of those, I would easily buy one.

I liked Soundblaster cards in the 90s. While I don't make silicon Valley money, my home theatre stereo cost considerably more than that creative thing. It also sounds a bazillion times better and has a lot more utility.

Maybe if you added "only watches Netflix streaming" and "lives in a small apartment with no room for actual speakers (or noise complaint something something)" you'd be right.

I really can't see anyone wanting this, even if they are limited to a soundbar.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

Zemyla posted:

So they're trying to coax you into it?

That's really twisted.

Boo this man

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

I think spotify streaming sounds fine on every device i've ever tried it on, including the built-in spotify on my Marantz main amp. Anyone clamoring for it to be better* is a gibbering idiot

* there are occasional songs/albums that seem to have something wrong with the encoding, but those are few and far between, and don't count for this

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

I’ll always wonder why they handicapped themselves that way.

Is making a billion dollars selling inferior products to idiots who demand them for fashion purposes handicapping one's self now? Because I'd love to be handicapped in that way.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

That is a lot of money to spend on computer speaker amps. It's a bit silly but at least he's not yammering about cable risers or some poo poo. Just buying a bunch of somewhat expensive gear.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

Are you returning the amps?

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

Maybe this can be a Double Mod Challenge thread.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh yeah haha that's right I am sorely mistaken that is like almost something a human being would live in.

Hes not going to live in the rack you silly goose

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Any one who hasn't paid for the item themselves or relies on advertising will have an intrinsic bias for an item. It is human nature. Some are more obvious about their shilling (unbox therapy or IGN) than others.

There are a few exceptions but never trust any random review.

Above a certain cost, or at least a certain cost above the average for an item type, anyone who has paid money for an item will also have an intrinsic bias for the item in order to justify their purchase and prove to others (and themselves) that it wasn't a ridiculous waste of money.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

grack posted:

$1600 and the manufacturer can't figure out how to make it Class 2 compliant?

Class 2 shrinks the Soundstage. If you want builder-grade sound then that's ok for you. Some of us want better.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

I have a Marantz SR6011 and I think it looks decent, although it's in a network/AV closet so I never see the thing anyways. Their older stuff looks cool in its own way but I really am not a fan of either designs from back then or the current retro stuff that borrows heavily from that kind of thing. Just personal taste, and mine is probably bad. I'm OK with that.

Lowness 72 posted:

I prefer my clocks with tubes. Really warms up the time.

Completely opposite of my general dislike of older aesthetics, I freakin love nixie tubes, as long as they're in an application it makes sense.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

I have an Oppo UDP-203 (and a BDP-103 that was its predecessor) and really like it. But I also use spotify all the drat time. The oppo is overpriced but it has some features I like. I'm not overly heartbroken about them closing their consumer division - by the time another format comes out I'm sure there will be something else that has said features, or I won't need/want them anymore.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

All the scenarios I can think of for that thing would be better served with headphones, a UE Boom 2 or something, my Amazon Echos, or any number of other products.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah except the part where it's physically around you, in stereo, while changing positions.

A speaker like an Echo or Boom is going to be effectively mono, and headphones mean you're isolated from your surroundings. Additionally some people experience discomfort wearing headphones for an extended period of time.

It's a limited use case but that doesn't mean it's an edge case either. Doing chores and casual gaming in a semi personal environment are where something like this would shine. If you're a parent, you can't crank up your stereo while the baby is sleeping; something like this would allow you to you can hear if it wakes up, too; or to hear if your Amazon package is at the door.

Fair enough. I still think it (and all its predecessors) are goofy but I definitely have some goofy products to fulfill a specific need that I have.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

I had an Onkyo TX-NR709 (or 609? I forget) and it was pretty good except the HDMI board had to be replaced, which was a thing with pretty much all of them due to some design flaw or manufacturing flaw or some such. To Onkyo's credit, they extended the warranty pretty much indefinitely for that issue. They also had the best remote control I've ever gotten from an AVR.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

The one mine had was https://www.replacementremotes.com/onkyo/buy-rc807m-24140807-audio-video-receiver-remote-control which was utterly fantastic. The remote that came with my Marantz SR6011 is utterly terrible by comparison. It's kind of moot now since I now use Harmony Smart Control remotes because they're stupidly easy to use and allow you to use your phone or whatever if you need all the buttons or something, but at the time, that Onkyo remote was really good. I still have mine - the receiver has been trashed as the dog peed in it when it was sitting on the floor once, and it was unable to recover - but the remote is fine and if it would work for you and you want it I'll give it to you for free + shipping cost.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

I think that's kind of a trend across the board. My TV (Vizio P75-C1) actually came with a smallish tablet for a remote, plus a super-basic one, and that was pretty neat. They eventually got rid of the tablet for an updated model and improved the remote and sent me the updated remote for free. It doesn't matter all that much since I use the aforementioned harmony smart control remote, but having a free tablet to look things up on quick sometimes is really handy.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

To be fair that is one of the more obnoxious examples you could have found. Plus everyone gets SUVs or pickup trucks still.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

Put a magnet in it to realign the electrons too.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

Just because there's low-hanging fruit doesn't mean there's not normal-height fruit too.

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

I'm going to go ahead and assume you did that for funsies, similar to how I used to run separate servers for DNS, DHCP, Fileserver, and Router back in the mid-2000's for my home network, and not that you think you actually need any of that crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shortspecialbus
Feb 16, 2006

KillHour posted:

It's a really big socket, okay?

Sounds like what I told this girl I dated once ROLOLOL