Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I have a Marantz SR6011 plus a secondary amp for 2 of the speakers and enough speakers and subs to get me a 7.2.4 setup to watch movies. It sounds great for movies and is (or at least was when I bought it) probably the most reasonable price point you can get that includes the atmos upmixing for standard 5.2/7.2 sources. Using the upmixing for music sounds really neat too.

It's surely not 100% accurate with the upmixing but it's fun and works great for movies in particular. I end up using it for music all the time despite the accuracy loss.

So, I can understand liking amps that don't have perfect sound recreation to adapt to personal preference, but why that needs to be a $10k amp and not just a graphic equalizer of some sort escapes me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

Where the gently caress would I even find a Sharpie?

:confused: Are you in a country where they are rare or something? I don't think I've ever been anywhere in the last 20 years that doesn't have at least one Sharpie of some sort in the US.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

Most people on this planet do not live in the US but do have access to CDs. So "it has to be a Sharpie!" is extremely inconvenient for the majority of music-lovers.

Sure but I thought Sharpies were pretty global, I guess. I know I found them without trouble when I was in Poland, and looking at their website they seem to have divisions all over the place. So it is surprising to me that they are less global than I thought, apparently. That's all.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah I found a couple of stores, via Google, that appear sell them now (or at least try to sell them). Don't think I've ever actually seen one and certainly not back when inking your CDs was a somewhat popular thing.

Importing writing or drawing implements from the US was kind of pointless when all the oldest and/or biggest manufacturers were right on the continent. Japanese products were a bit different in that they actually invented some stuff (like fibre-tipped pens) and managed to get on the market that way. Anyway they've most likely had plants in China for a while now just like everyone else so it's all the same.

Signed, Jerry "The Boring Stationery Derailer" Cotton III

Most of this thread is a derail, tbh. I appreciate the info!

The idea of any marker - much less a sharpie specifically - affecting CDs is still stupid. I wonder if Sharpie had any marketing behind it. Business idea: Create esoteric marker only sold in one location. Convince idiots that it improves picture quality on UHD discs. Sell on ebay for ridiculous profit.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

Bonus points: there's actually no ink in the marker. Just "ions" or something.

Create some fancy packaging and really terrible marketing materials and we're rich.

For like the 100th time in this thread.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Gromit posted:

I did a course many years ago on data recovery for optical media. The guy there said that some marker pens were made with chemicals that could eat the label and so your CD-RW could be killed, and recommended pens made specifically for CDs. This means nothing for pressed CDs, and also has nothing to do with making the disc read better. Purely a chemical reaction - maybe the bad inks are mildly acidic (I don't remember if that was clarified, but I have certainly found older RWs where the writing on them has become a hollow outline.)

Sorry - I should have clarified that I meant the idea of using a marker on the edge of a cd (or anywhere) actually *improving* the sound of it is ludicrous. I wasn't thinking along the lines of writing on CD-Rs or anything like that. It would certainly be possible to use a marker to wreck a CD, I would say, but you're never going to make it sound better with one.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I really like in the comments where someone calls bullshit and talks about studio cables and such and the dude responds with complete utter nonsense.

Edit: (sorry for the hosed up screenshot but its not worth redoing):

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

qirex posted:

Those guys don't listen to music like that.

They don't "listen" to music at all. They play Yello on repeat, and maybe Dark Side of the Moon from time to time, but they're not actually listening - they're fiddling with their cable riser, rewinding, checking again, etc etc etc. Constantly tweaking and buying new stuff. They don't actually listen music.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

You've never seen a sysadmin if you think a sysadmin either wears a tie, runs, or both.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

The audiophiles are in the thread.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I know we've covered this before, but it's perfectly acceptable to love how your $40,000 audiophile woo woo sounds, even if it shows up terribly on measuring equipment, and if you weren't able to get that sound for cheaper (we'll pretend graphic equalizers don't exist), then it's worth it for you, and great job nobody is going to tell you that you're unhappy with your sound or that you should only listen to something if it generates a completely flat response curve.

It's when you try to argue that it's "just as good as something that measures totally flat" or that the science is bunk and your ears can tell what's really an accurate reproduction of the sound that things fall apart completely.

I enjoy listening to my 2.0 (or 5.1 if it's dark side of the moon) music upmixed to 7.2.4. I think it sounds neat and is just kind of an overwhelming experience in a good way. I would never for a second though try to argue that it would measure better or whatever.

tl;dr: it's fine to like how your poorly-measuring equipment sounds and feel that it was worth the cost. You don't have to justify your purchases to anyone else, unless they're involved in your finances I guess. You don't need validation. But you also don't get to argue that the science is bullshit and response curves are inaccurate.

* the "you" in this is a non-specific "you", not directed at any specific posters.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Then we can ridicule them while they insist that they aren't audiophiles, it's just that science doesn't understand sound.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

The Home Audio Questions or Quick Audio Questions threads are probably better places for that sort of thing than the thread that exists to make fun of magic wooden volume knobs.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I was gonna say what home audio nuts use XLR even, but I'm gonna guess a lot of 'high end' crap uses XLR for no real reason.

My Helix and studio monitors use XLR but I guess that's not at all what you're saying since I use those for guitar/bass playing and mixing with Reaper and that's pretty much what they're for.

I do use them for music and such as well I guess.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Panty Saluter posted:

That is literally not how grounding works. Not even remotely :psyduck:

fake edit: i mean i guess you could float a ground this way but there are far cheaper methods

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Uch, these things just never go well. Competition is good, a bunch of different badges on the same poo poo isn't that. I'm glad Yamaha are still their own separate thing as I trust them over most others. Pioneer gear was never as good after their name was bought, and there's no reason to think things will go in a different direction now. I tend to gravitate towards Onkyo stuff as they've always met a features/price intersect I'm down with, so a bit sad to see them now a meaningless name.

Welcome to the century of like 3 megacorporations that own literally everything. The free market will sort this out, except that literally every product for sale in the world by 2050 will be ultimately manufactured and owned by Pepsi, Coke, Nabisco, or Samsung.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I think they mostly do integrated car audio these days, my WRX came with a H/K system and I am pretty sure I have seen H/K as an upgrade in non-Subaru as well.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I have Focal Chorus something-or-others that were like a fraction of that cost and they sound pretty good so I think you should definitely buy those $7500 Focals.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Agreed this is the wrong thread, but your complaints that you listed are all ergonomic, not sound quality. Just go try on some headsets til you find one that fits fine and doesn't have terrible reviews. Otherwise you're chasing some non-specific sound quality nonsense that you can't articulate. Your built-in sound is probably fine unless you have a specific complaint about it.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

KillHour posted:

The bigger issue is the tile floor. Also, the way your TV and speakers are angled makes it look like they fold over the fireplace like a transformer for smaller packaging and now I'm upset that they don't.

You don't know that for sure. Keep your opinions to yourself and let the rest of us live in the world that we want to.

qirex posted:

In fact it's probably super challenging to make something that complicated that doesn't just ruin the signal.

You're assuming that most audiophile gear doesn't just ruin the signal and/or that it's actually complicated and not just a super basic DSP with some knobs set to do something really minor. I'll also guess that pretty much all the parts were readily available and did not require any expensive custom design.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I'm catching up with comic strip megathread and this reminded me of this thread

(other than real audiophiles scoffing at measurements)

Edit: another one

ssb fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 26, 2019

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Ashex posted:

No idea where to post this question so I'm trying here. I've got a FiiO E10 DAC that has served me faithfully over the years, recently the headphone jack has been failing on me with sound cutting out/dropping depending on how I jiggle the cable.
I'm assuming the jack needs to be replaced and this might be the right part but shipping to Germany is insane so I'm wondering if anyone would know where I can source that part for a better price.

Go Here unless you want to get ridiculed for your choices in this thread.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

just lol if you need visual instructions on how to sexually assault your speaker

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

All 26 pages of the review thread linked in the OP there are great.

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/ci%C3%BAnas-dac-usb-dac-review.9788/

The manufacturer is something special.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

The whole thing with digital cables not really mattering got slightly confused with 4K and generally needing "Premium Certified" HDMI cables for that, at least for lengths over 6 feet or so. Fortunately, they're not really any more expensive, and monoprice ones work great and cost about the same as any generic non-premium-certified cable.

It's still that it either works or it doesn't, but you get a lot more "doesn't" with 4K. Digital sparkles, picture drops, and the like.

As much as I like the ease of hdmi, it really needs a replacement with higher resolution a/v stuff.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Neurophonic posted:

In other news the Nuraphones arrived yesterday. I’m pretty sure I’ve already figured out what they’re doing but will run some more tests and get some relative measurements of the three profiles I’ve created so far to illustrate what I think is happening.

I'm interested in how you like them overall! I'm really happy with my WH-1000XM3s for my use cases and not looking to change but I think it's really neat concept.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

No it wasn't. IBM PC compatible perhaps but not PC.

What sort of pedantry are you going for here?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

UncleGuito posted:

Pardon the noob question but i'm confused as hell about using my aptx HD bluetooth headphones on my PC and hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I'm currently using a Fiio dac/amp to connect them with a cord but sick of it dangling everywhere so hoping to go bluetooth instead.

I found this bluetooth adapter that seems to support aptx HD ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZB6S69P/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3RA2WX93QPLXS&psc=1 ). I've tried one of those cheapo $10 bluetooth adapters but the quality/latency was too terrible to handle.

Will I actually notice a difference if I get an aptx HD adapter, and if so, should I plug it into my existing Fiio dac (which supports the highest bitrate on my PC) or straight into my computer case? And when the adapter is plugged into the PC, will it still only support 16bit/44k hz?

Go HERE or HERE unless you are making fun of audiophiles

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

just lol if you think that the most sensitive microphone that science can devise can detect the changes that my ears can, I found that my hearing of high frequencies in particular greatly improved after my second tour as an artillery gunner and I've proven this by hearing high frequency ringing in rooms that so-called "scientists" say doesn't actually exist.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

qirex posted:

The same thing happened with wristwatches, when quartz first came out they were full on status symbols but they got super cheap the industry saved itself by romanticizing the “soul” and “heritage” of mechanical movements and jacking prices to the moon even though the best mechanical watch is less accurate and durable than a $10 Casio.

I think mechanical watches are cool as gently caress and I love to look at them, especially any that you can see some of the internal workings on. The better ones are incredibly amazing and precise engineering, and they're more beautiful pieces of art. If I had $infinite I'd buy one of those long before I bought any audiophile woo-woo. I don't think they're really in the same category, nobody is arguing that a mechanical watch keeps better time.

Edit: I'd say it's a better comparison to "why do we need paintings if we have photographs?" although that's not really a great comparison either. I'm just saying a good mechanical watch is more a work of art.

ssb fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 29, 2020

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Obviously some of you don't hang out on forums frequented by watch snobs. They generally ignore the fact that mechanical movements are inferior to quartz and focus on rationalizing what is clearly conspicuous consumption and elitism. There are tedious dipshits aplenty.

No, I don't. I just like mechanical watches and think a lot of them are pretty :shrug: Whether they meet the definition of "art" or not I dunno, I think they can.

I'm not pretending they're worth the money, which is why I said I'd get one if I had $infinite, and I'm certainly not claiming they're better in any way.

I also don't really feel that strongly about this. I've always just liked watches somewhat. I've never had a watch that cost more than about $275, and these days I wear a ZeTime that my wife got me.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Ugh, wish I was rich enough for something like that. Trying to run a recording studio in my apartment loving sucks.

A couple power conditioners and a UPS solved any problems I had with recording, although I'll grant I do it as a hobby and not on any sort of large scale - what issues are you running into that need more than that?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I've got Furmans, but no UPS. My studio space's outlets share the same circuit as things like bathroom fans, which like to send spikes that jam up my soundcard. It's not horrible now that I've got beefier Furmans, as long as I don't crank the volume too much. I'm a little worried about something getting damaged, because I have some older rack gear, but it is what it is. I can't afford to move, and the studio is in the only part of the apartment where it fits. I can't afford an external space. On the upside, the label I'm on encourages the punk/DIY aesthetic.

:tif:

Got any UPS suggestions?

You already got good answers, but it somewhat depends on how much stuff you need to plug in and what's causing you the most grief. I have only a handful of things because I use a Line 6 Helix these days and Roland drums so there's not a lot to deal with. If you have racks of stuff, you'll need to do the larger stuff mentioned by others.

This is also probably the wrong thread for it, and I'd guess there's a "right" thread somewhere in Musician's Lounge where you'll get way better answers. Here someone's going to tell you that your problem is that you don't have any crystals and I'd bet money that none of your volume knobs are wooden.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Sometimes I don't think the internet should be allowed.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I haven't had problems with onboard realteks in years. I get high-end motherboards so maybe it's different on inexpensive ones, but I thought that problem largely got solved a while ago except on bargain poo poo.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

You mean forget to put copper in them?

Copper thieves are everywhere.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Is this thread making fun of audiophiles anymore or is it now full of audiophiles? I actually can't tell.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

As far as I can tell the thread is 90% people arguing about expensive DACs or DAC type things that approximately nobody ever needs.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

The last 3 pages have been arguing about which $500 DAC is the correct $500 DAC to get. It's not AI at all, there's no clever engineering going on here to build a sleeper. It's basically arguing whether a Maserati or McLaren is the right purchase for your daily commute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

KillHour posted:

Except it's not a DAC at all, and in fact, doesn't have a digital input.

It's a loudspeaker management system that I'm using as a crossover, limiter and parametric EQ for room correction.

It's still not remotely pertinent to the thread, which is supposed to be ridiculing audiophiles, not getting in never ending conversations about loudspeaker management systems.