Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

To really isolate my listening environment from noise, I need my own planet. I'm still undecided about moving my stuff to a new planet vs moving everyone else off this one. It will depend which way my psychotic break goes, when the time comes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Bose once sued Consumer Reports over a bad review. Somehow, to me, that says it all.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I just can't think of an another company that would sue over a review. It's so petty. It's doubly petty when it was Consumer Reports. Did anyone really care what Consumer Reports said about audio gear, even in 1981?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I got that same catalog. I like the cd player with "...a new version of our proprietary Double Virtual Earth Balanced filter topology with Bessel Coefficients resulting in even greater musicality."

It's been a long time since I studied the physics of music but I'm pretty sure any sound that can be measured can be analyzed and transformed to have Bessel coefficients.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

jonathan posted:

I made a huge technical sciencey post about room acoustics a few months back and nobody even viewed it. So gently caress it glass coffee tables for everyone.

Hey, you prompted me to ask a question about room acoustics that's been nagging me.

My basement home theater room was quite effectively deadened by the bookcases lining three of the walls. Unfortunately we got a couple inches water in there that effectively deadened my cheap bookcases. I'm pondering doing Rakks wall-mounted shelves (mounted 18" off the ground so that future floods will just go under them), but I'm a touch worried about the aluminum construction. Can I rely on the books to dampen them out?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

Nope, DVI-D cable. No friggin way anything analog was coming through that cable. I know how noise on a VGA or analog DVI connection looks on a monitor, this didn't look like that at all.

My best guess is that my video card simply couldn't properly run the DVI output at the frequency needed, although it's not like 1280x1024 is the most demaning resolution out there. Part of the signal got too noisy and for some reason that made certain very dark colors default to 100% blue. There's no error correction in DVI, though, so I don't know why that would happen, it would have to be something vaguely defective in the graphics card or in the monitor.

When I changed over to a DVI-I dual link cable, the problem went away until I upgraded to a 1920x1200 monitor and then it was back. Changing to a newer, higher-spec dual-link-capable graphics card (Geforce 5900XT to 7600GT) cured the problem.

I can't understand how a cable noise issue could cause a specific pattern of video problem, such as dark blue turning black. As I understand it, if you had so much noise that the ADC couldn't reliably tell 1 from 0 anymore, you'd expect to see random flipped bits, which would in turn cause decoder errors, and thus create pixellation and splotches. It would be awfully weird if the noise was only affecting the handful of low-order 1 bits that made the difference between blue and black, but not the high order bits, or the low order blue and red bits, or whatever. Is there something in the wire protocol for DVI that would do that?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

That's a movement within the ear, right?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Why the hate for tube amps as a thing? I don't have much use for people who claim that tube amps are objectively superior, but for one person to say that he's listened to them and likes the sound seems unexceptional. Maybe I'm just insensitive to the history here.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

In my case it's that my next car is still five or six years off, and my current car supports an iPod in the glove compartment, or a couple SD cards that for no good reason are limited to 3000 tracks total.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

And aside from that, I've seen tests done with no ABX box, where they physically switched the cables between components and of course, no difference was detected.

That ensures that the cables haven't burned in to match the components! You can't possibly get the best aspect out of a system without matching and burning in the cables.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I've been reasonably pleased with it. A few of the curated playlists have exposed me to stuff I hadn't heard before, although that's more because I'm a socially withdrawn neckbeard than because they're obscure.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Here's my problem:

quote:

The effects of bi-wiring are not subtle. The improvements are large enough that a bi-wire set of moderately priced cable will usually sound better than a single run of more expensive cable.

Has there ever been a proper test that showed any "not subtle" differences between moderately priced and more expensive speaker cable?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Well you see higher bandwidth wireless protocols have more jitter so

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Betting it's a graphic equalizer, unless it's a Real Audiophile, in which case that's the record loop for his vintage reel-to-reel deck.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

qirex posted:

What's sad is I can't really tell if this is an April fool's joke or not.

My gut tells me they built it in response to customer demand.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The huge decrease in stereo channel separation is pathetic. The only explanation I can think of is that aside from being a bad idea, the tube conversion was also sloppily done.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

KillHour posted:

I'm pretty sure every frequency of sound travels the same speed through a given medium. I'm absolutely sure Adjusting the phase of two different frequencies can't make a difference unless one is a multiple of the other (or at least they reduce to a fraction with a low denominator).

I actually Googled this because I didn't remember, and the consensus of sites seems to be that there's a very small difference in the speed of sound by frequency. It's nearly irrelevant in the audible range. With floor speakers, the tweeters are closer to ear level, so the higher frequencies absolutely will reach your ear first, but not because of the speed of sound. Some crossover designs aren't phase-coherent either. I note with amusement their lack of clarity as to what sort of curve their crossover users.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

It's because they used the wrong model of vacuum tube in the violin circuits of the amp, obviously.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Obviously some of you don't hang out on forums frequented by watch snobs. They generally ignore the fact that mechanical movements are inferior to quartz and focus on rationalizing what is clearly conspicuous consumption and elitism. There are tedious dipshits aplenty.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I do

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

Is this thread making fun of audiophiles anymore or is it now full of audiophiles? I actually can't tell.

Both. Some audiophiles are trying to cover their self-loathing by insulting other audiophiles, others are celebrating their self-loathing by asking to be insulted.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

For an amp, I'd expect the trigger jacks to primarily input and passthrough. Normally, with separates, I see the preamp being used to send a trigger signal to the power amp, so that you can control both with the preamp's remote, and also let the preamp work through its start process (including any startup thumps) before starting the power amp.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

As a lad, I had a VIC-20 with a cassette drive. I hated those cassettes deeply. I had managed to repress the memory for decades, but now you have made me relive the trauma.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The problem is the placement. They could solve all these problems given more volume for dampening devices. A real audiophile would replace the passenger seat with the turntable assembly, complete with its own springs, shocks, gimbals, etc.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

F4rt5 posted:

Hey fellow bass dude and completely OT, what would you say was the best allround setup

'cause I am just now in the dilemma of choosing between 4x10 and 1x15 and I can't decide. DM me if you please so we don't poo poo up the thread

I haven't played in a while but I say you gotta listen to the specific speakers and decide for yourself. It's more about taste than objective goodness.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Don't tell this guy who's obsessed with RF noise that we already solved the problem with balanced audio cables. Let life break his heart on its own.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

You and I know something like that would be almost entirely useless for music, which rarely has any content below 20Hz in it. But when has the existence of a 48dB/octave filter stopped audiophiles from being audiophiles?

Just EQ it until the sub-20hz noise shakes the floor.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Neurophonic posted:

daft things such as deploying 24 subwoofers for a stage that holds less than 800 people, between 10 foot thick walls of an abandoned fort…

Daft, but also aspirational.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Does the Bubble secretly just encode a streaming URL?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

You'd go to a Yes concert and have the privilege of vomiting because Squire was experimenting with his bass through a Leslie cabinet and mic'd up proper good.

ftfy

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Your analog-to-DSD gear can be proprietary as soon as you stick a piece of masking tape on it and write your name.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Spazzle posted:

Beryllium is essential for national security

Professor Lane has that issue amply covered.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I'm glad it's stupid expensive. It's sufficiently redolent of my childhood that if it was cheap, I might actually buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

A long time ago, back when iPods had spinning disks in them, I read about the battery savings to be had from making sure a file fit inside the iPod's memory cache, so it wouldn't need to spin up the disk mid-song. I went looking for the compression levels that would let me fit prod rock album halves from Rush and Yes into that file size. Whatever compression artifacts you think you hear on a 128kps-ish VBR MP3 ain't poo poo compared to what you hear when you get down below the 96kps average bit rate. My attitude for files compressed for mobile devices these days is basically "do the cymbals still sound like cymbals? Then it's fine."