Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Business of Ferrets posted:

Basically those three things, in that order, as needed and as available.

With Medivac/dentivacs as needed and appropriate. My first assignment in Rwanda had people use medivacs or R&Rs for most everything that the Embassy staff couldn't assist with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012
Thanks! I kind of figured it was all three but wasn't really sure (especially with something like dental/bi-annual teeth cleaning).

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

The FS is an excellent—even preferable—alternative for people who have medical issues keeping them from commissioning in the Marine Corps. I speak from first-hand experience.

Glad to hear I'm barking up the right tree. Looks like my FSOT will only be delayed a few days.

Global Critter
Nov 10, 2012

Skandiaavity posted:

Global Critter - Wow, Manila's on your bid list? Man. That was quick. Can I ask where else was on your list?

J.S. is good people. When making your bid list rationale, try to make it as clear/concise as possible. (Pay attention to Dan when he talks about writing in orientation, it's pretty much critical to the job regardless of cone)

Skan - Replied to you through State email address. Bids due Monday night....Thanks!

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
send you a reply.

Barracuda Bang, how'd you feel in the FSOT?

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012
Another question. What do you guys do for cell phone overseas? I'm going to guess any phone the DoS provides you is for business use only. Did you just got and purchase a phone in the US and then get a sim card wherever you are for voice/data service? Do any of you use an iPhone?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

SCRwM posted:

Another question. What do you guys do for cell phone overseas? I'm going to guess any phone the DoS provides you is for business use only. Did you just got and purchase a phone in the US and then get a sim card wherever you are for voice/data service? Do any of you use an iPhone?

You can use your phone for personal use. They usually just ask you to identify which calls were business and which were personal when the bill comes and ask you to pay for the personal calls above a certain amount. The phones are usually really crappy though.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Red Crown posted:

Glad to hear I'm barking up the right tree. Looks like my FSOT will only be delayed a few days.

Based purely upon the fact that every FSO I meet wears jeans, I'd say the Foreign Service is vastly superior to the military in every way, shape, and form.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

psydude posted:

Based purely upon the fact that every FSO I meet wears jeans, I'd say the Foreign Service is vastly superior to the military in every way, shape, and form.

Yeah uh, aren't you, you know, in the Army?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Done with the FSOT. It was hard, but not as ball-bustingly hard as I originally thought it would be. Practice questions are significantly harder than the real thing. I *should* pass and get to the PNQs, who knows though.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Global Critter posted:

Skan - Replied to you through State email address. Bids due Monday night....Thanks!

I can offer my .02c as well. PM me a contact.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Skandiaavity posted:

send you a reply.

Barracuda Bang, how'd you feel in the FSOT?

I thought it went really well. I walked in expecting the US history and American government stuff to be a breeze and everything else to be tough, but those were the questions that tripped me up the most. Not like I had no idea, but more than once I was down to two answers and had to just pick one.

For the biographical stuff was tricky. I answered them all truthfully, but sometimes when they wanted like four examples, I had no way how to fit it into 200 characters. I ended up sounding kind of generic for some, which I'm hoping isn't the opposite of what they're looking for.

The essay went way better than I thought too - I thought that's what I'd stress the most. The only problem is that I tried to use all my leftover time to proofread and hit the "submit answer" button with like 3 seconds left, and it took me to the "end section" window, but before I could hit that button, it ended the test.

I'm like 90% sure it registered my answer, but...

edit: and thanks for the good luck, guys!

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

TCD posted:

I can offer my .02c as well. PM me a contact.

GC, I would take TCD up on this. he's served in AF as well; you kind of want to get the most opinions because everyone will have different experiences.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Red Crown posted:

Yeah uh, aren't you, you know, in the Army?

On a part time basis. On a full time basis I work with a lot of FSOs and FSSs and am jealous of their jeans wearing.

joe123456
Jan 28, 2013
Does taking a hardship post really provide you a decent shot at getting you a "plush" job in Europe? Aren't the majority of posts out there hardship tours? I talked to an FSO that volunteered to go to Iraq and then she ended up with additional back to back Middle East tours. In her experience, taking hardship tours didn't give her any assignment preferences to that "plush" dream location on her bid list.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

joe123456 posted:

Does taking a hardship post really provide you a decent shot at getting you a "plush" job in Europe? Aren't the majority of posts out there hardship tours? I talked to an FSO that volunteered to go to Iraq and then she ended up with additional back to back Middle East tours. In her experience, taking hardship tours didn't give her any assignment preferences to that "plush" dream location on her bid list.

Depends on the cone(specialty)/grade. I landed a job in the UK coming out of Brazil.

Saho
Jun 9, 2012

joe123456 posted:

This is pretty contrary from the experiences i've heard from others in Iraq. Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan are given some pretty heavy bidding preferences, not as many as there used to be I hear, but still significant. Other hardship tours are more of a "your milage may very" type thing...

In fact, If went to Iraq it would have been at least her second tour so her third would have been out of directed bidding. Which is to say that whatever she bid on was something she chose to bid and lobby on. I believe after directed tours we only have to bid on six or seven places. Maybe someone who has done real bidding can shed some light on the processes.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Saho posted:

This is pretty contrary from the experiences i've heard from others in Iraq. Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan are given some pretty heavy bidding preferences, not as many as there used to be I hear, but still significant. Other hardship tours are more of a "your milage may very" type thing...

In fact, If went to Iraq it would have been at least her second tour so her third would have been out of directed bidding. Which is to say that whatever she bid on was something she chose to bid and lobby on. I believe after directed tours we only have to bid on six or seven places. Maybe someone who has done real bidding can shed some light on the processes.

Most people who go to AIP qualify for a link assignment. This means you get preferential bidding on an onward assignment, and normally, only have to compete with other AIP bidders. However, not everyone in AIP qualify for a link, and there is a hard cap on the number of links.

Those who serve in other hardship posts can be considered "at grade" in a stretch position. Depending on the bureau, cone, and grade, this may or may not be a big deal. As it was, in my first round of competitive bidding, I had my choice of a 4 job in WHA, a 3 job in EUR, and two 4 jobs in EUR. I cashed in a lot of favors to be at this point. This meant I was working all my contacts in the Department to get the bid that I wanted.

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/sean-smith-vilerat.php

That blurb of his was me :smith:. Edit: Also, just because you only have to bid a certain amount doesn't mean that you'll get those :D. There are plenty of people who bid, and re-bid. You don't want to be in those shoes..

Personally, I'm glad that I did one of the hardest hardship postings on my first tour. You get a lot of equity on your 2nd entry level assignment which really doesn't carryover in normal bidding. Had I done Brazil first, I think I would have complained a lot more about things (which my wife and I notice from 1st tour families), compared to my 2nd tour. I was also "Acting Information Management Officer" for almost half of my first tour which exposed me to a lot of management processes and running an IRM section. E: From what I've seen and heard, generally speaking, harder the post, closer the community. I made a lot of really good friends my first tour and I can commiserate with Diplomaticus and others who have served in similar places :respek:.

TCD fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 4, 2013

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
As with any post, really; the hardship ones give you more equity, yes. But it's not a guarantee, which some people have the impression of. You still have to network (or link) your tours, having AIP or similar just gives you more preference.

"it depends" on a lot of factors, and no real way to tell how she was bidding. but it doesn't exactly work like "I volunteered to go to Baghdad, now give me Paris" if that helps any.\

And while Manila might not be a 'proper hardship', TCD's words about the harder the post, the tighter the group rings true. Dynamic in those places is essential.

ATI Jesus
Aug 14, 2003
I can walk on water with my ATI graphics card installed!

TCD posted:

Personally, I'm glad that I did one of the hardest hardship postings on my first tour. You get a lot of equity on your 2nd entry level assignment which really doesn't carryover in normal bidding. Had I done Brazil first, I think I would have complained a lot more about things (which my wife and I notice from 1st tour families), compared to my 2nd tour. I was also "Acting Information Management Officer" for almost half of my first tour which exposed me to a lot of management processes and running an IRM section. E: From what I've seen and heard, generally speaking, harder the post, closer the community. I made a lot of really good friends my first tour and I can commiserate with Diplomaticus and others who have served in similar places :respek:.

Seconding this.

I have more than 20 first tour officers at post and they are largely a bunch of crybabies who think they'll be going to Prague/London/Paris for their second tour. So far the only people who got their first pick for their second assignment wanted AF/NEA and one guy who wanted Chengdu.

They said your first tour will color your view of every other assignment, and I for one am happy I got a danger/hardship post first. When the systems are held together with spit and baling wire you learn quite a bit, plus hardship tours help manage expectations of everyone. I also have colleagues that are like family from my time in Kosovo.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

ATI Jesus posted:

Seconding this.

I have more than 20 first tour officers at post and they are largely a bunch of crybabies who think they'll be going to Prague/London/Paris for their second tour. So far the only people who got their first pick for their second assignment wanted AF/NEA and one guy who wanted Chengdu.

They said your first tour will color your view of every other assignment, and I for one am happy I got a danger/hardship post first. When the systems are held together with spit and baling wire you learn quite a bit, plus hardship tours help manage expectations of everyone. I also have colleagues that are like family from my time in Kosovo.

Yup...

From what I've seen you want 20 diff and higher for your first tour... 25-35 is the right range in my opinion.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
I'm in a 20, so I would say 25.

Not that many complainers here, but it's usually about the same things.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Skandiaavity posted:

I'm in a 20, so I would say 25.

Not that many complainers here, but it's usually about the same things.

Not all 20s are created equal. ;)

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
The point still stands!

1of7
Jan 30, 2011

ATI Jesus posted:

Every person I met at FSI when I told them I was going to Chengdu said, "Well, the good thing about that is that wherever you go next will seem great." That scared me a little at the time, but I'm hoping it's true because it doesn't seem too bad to me. I'm sure if I started at a really easy post and then came here it would be much harder though.

TCD posted:

Not all 20s are created equal. ;)

Truth! I might have been disappointed coming out a 20% post & getting assigned to another 20% post if the 2nd wasn't in Fiji.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

TCD posted:

Most people who go to AIP qualify for a link assignment. This means you get preferential bidding on an onward assignment, and normally, only have to compete with other AIP bidders. However, not everyone in AIP qualify for a link, and there is a hard cap on the number of links.

Those who serve in other hardship posts can be considered "at grade" in a stretch position. Depending on the bureau, cone, and grade, this may or may not be a big deal. As it was, in my first round of competitive bidding, I had my choice of a 4 job in WHA, a 3 job in EUR, and two 4 jobs in EUR. I cashed in a lot of favors to be at this point. This meant I was working all my contacts in the Department to get the bid that I wanted.

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/sean-smith-vilerat.php

That blurb of his was me :smith:. Edit: Also, just because you only have to bid a certain amount doesn't mean that you'll get those :D. There are plenty of people who bid, and re-bid. You don't want to be in those shoes..

I'd agree with this. The community can be really tight, but also it sets your expectations for the foreign service.

TCD posted:

Depends on the cone(specialty)/grade. I landed a job in the UK coming out of Brazil.

Same, I got Switzerland coming from Ethiopia.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012
From reading over the responses, is it best to bid on a hardship post for your first tour just to set your expectations and get you in the right frame of mind? It would seem that if your first post is say Vienna and then you go to say Kinshasa you would get your mind set to "hey this isn't so bad" to "holy crap what did I sign up for"?

Note: I've never been to Kinshasa so it may be a really awesome place.

Note II: I guess it would also depend on your personal situation. If (like me) you have school age kids and the schools in Kinshasa suck well you may not want to go there.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012
I know this is a bit belated so I apologize in advance.

As most of you know I ventured to DC last week to take the OA for IMS. I ended up passing :)! I spent the last week reading of the forum from the beginning as well as my own prep for the OA. In the end, the OA wasn't as hard as I mentally was expecting it to be (as Skandiaavity said: "It's not that hard. Just stay on your toes" was correct!)

I wanted to thank everyone on here who offered advice and encouragement, if not to me personally but in reading over your past experiences with prepping for the OA. Also a big thanks to Skandiaavity, AKA Pseudonym, TCD, 1of7, Business of Ferrets for answering questions I have had in regards to life in the FS! You guys are awesome and I (hopefully) look forward to working with you one day!! If I missed someone, I apologize.

problematique: I hope you and I end up at FSI at the same time!

Continuous
Jan 5, 2013

SCRwM posted:

I know this is a bit belated so I apologize in advance.

As most of you know I ventured to DC last week to take the OA for IMS. I ended up passing :)! I spent the last week reading of the forum from the beginning as well as my own prep for the OA. In the end, the OA wasn't as hard as I mentally was expecting it to be (as Skandiaavity said: "It's not that hard. Just stay on your toes" was correct!)

I wanted to thank everyone on here who offered advice and encouragement, if not to me personally but in reading over your past experiences with prepping for the OA. Also a big thanks to Skandiaavity, AKA Pseudonym, TCD, 1of7, Business of Ferrets for answering questions I have had in regards to life in the FS! You guys are awesome and I (hopefully) look forward to working with you one day!! If I missed someone, I apologize.

problematique: I hope you and I end up at FSI at the same time!

Congrats!

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

SCRwM posted:

From reading over the responses, is it best to bid on a hardship post for your first tour just to set your expectations and get you in the right frame of mind? It would seem that if your first post is say Vienna and then you go to say Kinshasa you would get your mind set to "hey this isn't so bad" to "holy crap what did I sign up for"?

Note: I've never been to Kinshasa so it may be a really awesome place.

Note II: I guess it would also depend on your personal situation. If (like me) you have school age kids and the schools in Kinshasa suck well you may not want to go there.

I'm more of the "bird in the hand" philosophy: get the best you can, every time. As a generalist, the only time it makes sense to go somewhere in hope of the promise of a future somewhere better is if you can link an assignment in AIP. The only other time equity counts is going from first to second tour, but since you can't actually pick your first tour (and there are no guarantees for the follow on) I think people are better off going somewhere they want to, if they can, then worrying about the next tour later. I guess consular assignments work similarly to entry-level, so maybe that is an exception. But for most generalists, your first tour is real luck, and you make your own luck after that. Now, if you have always dreamed of learning Haitian Creole for a job there, you're probably set. Nothing at all wrong with that. Ditto Spanish and the Mexican Border. But I know more than a few FSOs who have stayed in Western Europe for their entire careers, and they seem OK with that, too.

Just remember, before you take one for the team: the Department will never love you back. So always do what is best for you. Always, without exception.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
I can understand why Afghanistan would be considered a hardship, but what's so bad about a lot of the other places? Chengdu is pretty developed.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Just remember, before you take one for the team: the Department will never love you back. So always do what is best for you. Always, without exception.

And thus, people learn that the end of Metal Gear Solid was actually talking about the State Department.

We all give advice, but a sad truth is nobody looks out for you except you, since it's your career. You're the one who also knows best, that's why "it depends" so much. Plenty of people, probably anyone on the forum, would give you advice - sage advice - but in the end, it comes down to our experiences. Some line up, some don't. You'll find that out at your first post, I'm sure. We can help you network, which is valuable. However, it's on you to maintain your reputation and reach out. It's not exactly 'dog eat dog' world - certainly leagues better than the corporate side - but again, you are competing against your peers for a bid spot.

And SCRwM - congratulations! But, you owe me no thanks. Give it to the other FS goons, we're a collective! Which is why we need all the psych help :)

Just curious, was your OA interviewer a dark-skinned man with a nigh unintelligible accent?

edit: 1of7 do you mind posting your air quality index to show why Chengdu is a hardship

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 4, 2013

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

I'm more of the "bird in the hand" philosophy: get the best you can, every time. As a generalist, the only time it makes sense to go somewhere in hope of the promise of a future somewhere better is if you can link an assignment in AIP. The only other time equity counts is going from first to second tour, but since you can't actually pick your first tour (and there are no guarantees for the follow on) I think people are better off going somewhere they want to, if they can, then worrying about the next tour later. I guess consular assignments work similarly to entry-level, so maybe that is an exception. But for most generalists, your first tour is real luck, and you make your own luck after that. Now, if you have always dreamed of learning Haitian Creole for a job there, you're probably set. Nothing at all wrong with that. Ditto Spanish and the Mexican Border. But I know more than a few FSOs who have stayed in Western Europe for their entire careers, and they seem OK with that, too.

I won't complain if on my bid list is someplace in Western Europe. At the same time, I have two kids so I have to look at the school situation at each post and take that in to account.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
for the most part, the schooling is good - american international or british international schools. There's others, of course. Now, they may be a little distant from post, but I think you would be covered in most areas.

Also if I'm not mistaken, they can cover U.S. school tuition too? (BoF, do you know anything about that?)

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012
Skandiaavity - I can neither confirm nor deny that such a person was my OA interviewer!

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

Skandiaavity posted:

for the most part, the schooling is good - american international or british international schools. There's others, of course. Now, they may be a little distant from post, but I think you would be covered in most areas.

Also if I'm not mistaken, they can cover U.S. school tuition too? (BoF, do you know anything about that?)

Right now our kids are too young to say in schools in the US (we have an 8 and 2 year old). Everything I've read (so far) points to the schools being good/excellent at most posts. But of course, it's just one of those things we will have to consider when looking at the bid list.

I will add - I realize that it's up to me/my family to make the best of a post. I could think being assigned in Vienna may be awesome, and it could completely suck. At the same time, I could think someplace in crapistan may suck and end up being the best place we've ever been to.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Let me rephrase. I picked the best hardship for me and my wife for our first EL assignment. It helped that nobody else chose it, so I got my top choice on my first assignment. A lot of the people I know who did easy differential posts first, were disappointed for their 2nd assignment. On my first list, out of 12 assignments to choose, I think only 1 didn't have any differential. And BoF, you’re still beholden to EL bidding for the 2nd assignment, so you still can’t make your own way yet. Now that I’m a regular bidder, I’m only looking at assignments that work for me and my wife and I try to get the best possible one.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

TCD posted:

Let me rephrase. I picked the best hardship for me and my wife for our first EL assignment. It helped that nobody else chose it, so I got my top choice on my first assignment. A lot of the people I know who did easy differential posts first, were disappointed for their 2nd assignment. On my first list, out of 12 assignments to choose, I think only 1 didn't have any differential. And BoF, you’re still beholden to EL bidding for the 2nd assignment, so you still can’t make your own way yet. Now that I’m a regular bidder, I’m only looking at assignments that work for me and my wife and I try to get the best possible one.

I wasn't really replying to anyone's situation in particular; sorry if it came off that way. Though the rules change from time to time, my first tour was my only EL tour; I bid mid-level going into my second tour, and it was soooooooo much better than having the EL CDOs involved.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

hitension posted:

I can understand why Afghanistan would be considered a hardship, but what's so bad about a lot of the other places? Chengdu is pretty developed.

Crime, climate, medical services, environmental health concerns (like the air quality alluded to in Chengdu) ease of conducting diplomacy/living in a country as a member of the USG, etc. E: For example, there wasn't a MRI (or functional one that we knew about) in country at my first assignment. Had there been an MRI, they probably would have detected that my knee injury was actually a fractured tibia. The local doctor didn't think it warranted a x-ray either. So instead I got to walk around on fractured leg. Oh, and our embassy pair of crutches were currently being used by somebody else. That scenario wouldn't normally happen if you worked for the USG at a domestic spot and were injured on the compound.

State.gov FAQ posted:

1. Q – What is a post hardship differential?
It is additional compensation of 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 or 35 percent over basic compensation for service at places in foreign areas where conditions of environment differ substantially from conditions of environment in the United States.
2. Q – Why do posts that look just like my post have higher differential rates?
A – The posts most likely have hardship factors that are more severe than your post’s or hardship factors that your post does not have. For example, some of the medical facilities may be worse than conditions at your post or they could have a high crime rating and/or political violence when your post has low or no crime and political violence rating.

TCD fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1of7
Jan 30, 2011

Skandiaavity posted:

I believe only boarding school is paid for in the US. If the kids aren't living at the school then they are expected to attend public school.