Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.

the_chavi posted:

I have a few friends who have resigned military commissions already, but thus far I've seen no one at State resigning yet. Even had a few people reach out to me about taking the test to join up to try to counterbalance... which is honestly why I first took the test in 2006.
People over at HST are shellshocked. At least one of my coworkers spent a lot of Wednesday crying in her office.

It's hard to gauge how this will affect hiring. Resignations could be countered with a more generous QEP for future FSOT cohorts. But then again, the Republican Congress may want to slash more spending, thus keeping the number of new hires down.

The saddest thing of all (and there are many sad things) is that I don't even think this guy ever wanted to be POTUS. His gambit for revenge succeeded beyond his wildest dreams and now he doesn't know what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obelisk
Mar 17, 2013
I'm taking the FSOA again in January and was wondering if it's still worth it with a potential hiring freeze. I guess I'll just go ahead and see what happens. Tickets are already purchased anyway.

Obelisk fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Nov 13, 2016

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Rumor is that the March generalist class invitations are going out now...

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
DS starts accepting Special Agent applications on December 8th, 2016. As always, I'm happy to answer any questions about the process or the work.

http://www.state.gov/m/ds/
https://careers.state.gov/ds

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

Bruxism posted:

DS starts accepting Special Agent applications on December 8th, 2016. As always, I'm happy to answer any questions about the process or the work.

http://www.state.gov/m/ds/
https://careers.state.gov/ds

What's the job like day to day, what are the career paths available to a SA? I'm interested in investigative / intel work, would this be a good choice?

Any good books on the subject?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

What do you guys think of this? http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/01/u...WT.nav=top-news

Interesting times for the people at State.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Shageletic posted:

What do you guys think of this? http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/01/u...WT.nav=top-news

Interesting times for the people at State.

Trump won't even be bothered to read something like that article much less spend any time being briefed on protocol or history by the State Department.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I imagine it will be a lot easier to get selected from the FSOT pool in 2017.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Trump won't even be bothered to read something like that article much less spend any time being briefed on protocol or history by the State Department.

Like the article says, he's doing a good of making himself irrelevant to foreign governments with his lack of thought abroad. Maybe giving more room for people in the State Department to act unfettered? Or just get their budget cut, IDK.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

the_chavi posted:

Rumor is that the March generalist class invitations are going out now...

Wow, these invites have been going out MUCH earlier than they used to be. I don't know how these invites may be impacted by Trump's stated hiring freeze, but I'm glad to see that at least the register will continue to thin out.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Washington — President-elect Donald J. Trump spoke by telephone with Taiwan’s president on Friday, a striking break with nearly four decades of diplomatic practice that could precipitate a major rift with China even before Mr. Trump takes office.

Mr. Trump’s office said he spoke with the Taiwanese president, Tsai Ing-wen, “who offered her congratulations.”

He is believed to be the first president or president-elect who has spoken to a Taiwanese leader since 1979, when the United States severed diplomatic ties with Taiwan after its recognition of the People’s Republic of China.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

bug chaser chaser posted:

What's the job like day to day, what are the career paths available to a SA? I'm interested in investigative / intel work, would this be a good choice?

Any good books on the subject?

It's hard to describe the day to day job because there is so much variety. I'm on my 3rd assignment, my first was in NYC and my second 2 have been at posts in Africa and I have done a number of temporary duty assignments in a dozen different countries. The work in NYC was so completely different from what I do overseas. In NYC my time was split pretty evenly between criminal law enforcement and protective security (think motorcade and VIP protection details). Overseas we typically work in RSO shops. There our mandate is the "safety and security of all COM personnel, property, and information." We manage a lot of different programs towards that end. Day to day presently my time is spent managing our staff (about 25 local nationals), our very large guard force contract, training, emergency preparedness (drills and such), supporting posts throughout the region that need assistance, and "putting out fires." Every day there are all kinds of little unpredictable things that pop up that have to be managed - just when I think I've seen it all some other crazy thing happens.

As for career paths, DS work can roughly be broken into 3 categories - dignitary protection, criminal investigations, and RSO work/support. I know people that have done all three and I know people that have managed to arrange assignments with a focus, but most people end up doing a little bit of everything. We aren't really an intel organization, though there is always some interaction with that community.

I know there are some books either about or written by DS Agents, but I haven't read any of them and can't recommend them. You would be better off looking for recent news articles and reading DS publications from the DS page (attacks against americans, year in review, etc.)

If you want more detail on anything specific PM me.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.
Wrapping up language training. One of the hardest things I've done in the FS... I'm terrible with languages apparently (I still passed on my first try, but drat, I had to put a lot of time in).

Hungry Hippo
May 5, 2006

You expect me to eat this?

TCD posted:

Wrapping up language training. One of the hardest things I've done in the FS... I'm terrible with languages apparently (I still passed on my first try, but drat, I had to put a lot of time in).

Felicidades!

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
I had no idea that there would be competition for the role of "FSO at the American Embassy" in Ghana!

quote:

In Accra, Ghana, there was a building that flew an American flag outside every Monday, Tuesday, and Friday, 7:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Inside hung a photo of President Barack Obama, and signs indicated that you were in the U.S. Embassy in Ghana. However, you were not. This embassy was a sham.

It was not operated by the United States government, but by figures from both Ghanaian and Turkish organized crime rings and a Ghanaian attorney practicing immigration and criminal law. The "consular officers" were Turkish citizens who spoke English and Dutch.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Bruxism posted:

I know there are some books either about or written by DS Agents, but I haven't read any of them and can't recommend them. You would be better off looking for recent news articles and reading DS publications from the DS page (attacks against americans, year in review, etc.)

Fred Burton's book is quite the story, but a lot of people call it fiction. I couldn't finish reading it and laughed out loud once or twice trying to get through it. Believe at your own risk.

Most recent year in review (which is all weird with some photos but readable): http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/258336.pdf

sociablegoldfinch
Feb 18, 2016

Anyone have advice on improving speaking scores (in Russian) on the FSI language test? I managed a 1+/2 after several years of never using the language (pleasantly surprised), but need a 2/2 for LIP. I don't get an FSI language course since the position doesn't require it and there isn't time. Hoping to retest only in speaking before the six month window runs out.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

sociablegoldfinch posted:

Anyone have advice on improving speaking scores (in Russian) on the FSI language test? I managed a 1+/2 after several years of never using the language (pleasantly surprised), but need a 2/2 for LIP. I don't get an FSI language course since the position doesn't require it and there isn't time. Hoping to retest only in speaking before the six month window runs out.

You're at post, right? See if there is a post language program. I went from a 2 in Russian to a 3 in about a year of self study and weekly PLP sessions. YMMV.

sociablegoldfinch
Feb 18, 2016

Business of Ferrets posted:

You're at post, right? See if there is a post language program. I went from a 2 in Russian to a 3 in about a year of self study and weekly PLP sessions. YMMV.

Actually I am still in DC, I don't head out to post until early next year. I am hoping to sign up for PLP once I get there, considering signing up for distance learning this next time around at FSI to fill in the gaps before I depart.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

sociablegoldfinch posted:

Actually I am still in DC, I don't head out to post until early next year. I am hoping to sign up for PLP once I get there, considering signing up for distance learning this next time around at FSI to fill in the gaps before I depart.

See if early-morning classes are available. They've existed in the past.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
While answering someone's questions about DS I came across this oral exam primer. The hypothetical questions are great (if you are actually doing RSO work).

https://careers.state.gov/uploads/9b/aa/9baaaa37bfa5e24247eb759121120f00/DS-OA-Information-Guide-December-2016.pdf

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Bruxism posted:

While answering someone's questions about DS I came across this oral exam primer. The hypothetical questions are great (if you are actually doing RSO work).

https://careers.state.gov/uploads/9b/aa/9baaaa37bfa5e24247eb759121120f00/DS-OA-Information-Guide-December-2016.pdf

Is there an NDA associated with the DS oral assessment?

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Is there an NDA associated with the DS oral assessment?

Honestly I don't remember. Probably.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

A guy at a party was telling me about his OA. He's an interesting dude with an unconventional military background, and not a bragging type. But the description he gave fits what that State document says. He described the two guys in the room and a scenario he was given, which was a USC embassy employee kidnapped and a local national employee identified as having information on the American's whereabouts. "What do you do?"

He felt like the scenario and their follow ups were asking him if he was comfortable using enhanced interrogation techniques but like I said he is kind of an interesting guy.

He did not become a DS agent by the way.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Phil Moscowitz posted:

A guy at a party was telling me about his OA. He's an interesting dude with an unconventional military background, and not a bragging type. But the description he gave fits what that State document says. He described the two guys in the room and a scenario he was given, which was a USC embassy employee kidnapped and a local national employee identified as having information on the American's whereabouts. "What do you do?"

He felt like the scenario and their follow ups were asking him if he was comfortable using enhanced interrogation techniques but like I said he is kind of an interesting guy.

He did not become a DS agent by the way.

I don't remember signing an NDA, but who knows. It's not hard to find stories about people's experiences with the OA. I think it's interesting that he thought they wanted to know if he was comfortable using enhanced interrogation. I doubt that was their original angle, but I bet that is the vibe they picked up on. Did he reveal whether he turned down the position or was not offered the job?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Bruxism posted:

I don't remember signing an NDA, but who knows. It's not hard to find stories about people's experiences with the OA. I think it's interesting that he thought they wanted to know if he was comfortable using enhanced interrogation. I doubt that was their original angle, but I bet that is the vibe they picked up on. Did he reveal whether he turned down the position or was not offered the job?

He did not say whether he was offered the job. He implied he was turned off from it based on the direction of the conversation, but people say whatever they want and this was a few drinks deep. Who knows.

It's more of a novelty story, which I took with a grain of salt until I read that pdf. The format he described was just like that.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I applied in 2010 fresh out of the National Guard and was invited to DC for the third round after the FSOT and essays. My wife (at the time) said no and so I declined.

I'm now a much better candidate. I spent a year in Nigeria working for the presidential family and another in Mexico, picking up a 2/2 in Spanish. I've just graduated with my MBA and am considering giving it another shot. The first time, I chose the Economics cone because it had the lowest competition, but Politics is really what I'm interested in. Is Economics still the way to go to have the best chance (and best after-State career options)? Roughly what percentage of people go to DC and come out a foreign service officer? Is everything out the window now because of the last 35 days?

sociablegoldfinch
Feb 18, 2016

Anyone see the State Authorization bill that passed? AFSA has made a big deal about the FS lateral mid level entry pilot program, so I am wondering what Skill codes could be targeted for that. I am new as everyone knows to State, so I am also curious how overfilled the mid levels actually are? I assume it varies by code?

It is nice to see though that there is an actual authorization bill instead of a CR. :)

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Aliquid posted:

I applied in 2010 fresh out of the National Guard and was invited to DC for the third round after the FSOT and essays. My wife (at the time) said no and so I declined.

I'm now a much better candidate. I spent a year in Nigeria working for the presidential family and another in Mexico, picking up a 2/2 in Spanish. I've just graduated with my MBA and am considering giving it another shot. The first time, I chose the Economics cone because it had the lowest competition, but Politics is really what I'm interested in. Is Economics still the way to go to have the best chance (and best after-State career options)? Roughly what percentage of people go to DC and come out a foreign service officer? Is everything out the window now because of the last 35 days?

If Pol is what you want to do, go Pol. Pol and Econ are very similar in practice.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

FSOT sign-ups are live.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Something's not right. I only have a month to take the test but every testing center within a few hundred miles is closed through February.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Don't mind me! Testing dates are The last week of January and first week of February. The deadline was just to register.

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 21, 2016

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

It's like the DS customer service center has gone totally dark. They're not answering the phones and they're not responding to emails. Are they shut down for the holidays, are they busy with the presidential transition, or what?

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Aliquid posted:

picking up a 2/2 in Spanish.

What does 2/2 mean for Spanish level?

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Saw these on the internet today, it's Season's Greetings from US Ambassador to Japan Caroline Kennedy, and the rest of US Mission Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN_cWAfJ1fU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xuXlpvWw1I

So that's what they've been up to in Japan I guess.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Positive Optimyst posted:

What does 2/2 mean for Spanish level?

Working level Spanish. You can conjugate indicative present, preterit, imperfect, and simple future and all the irregular verbs too. You have por/para down and can use direct and indirect pronouns. You can talk on pretty much any subject that would be relevant to the USG, but may have gaps in vocab and may struggle shifting the conversation to and from different subjects. The 2 for the reading part means you can pretty much understand any factual article, but may have a hard time parsing things like opinion pieces or readings poems.

Currently a 2/2 is four months of Spanish and a 3/3 is 6 months of training at the language school.

E: http://www.govtilr.org/Skills/ILRscale2.htm here's a link that talks about the different levels.

TCD fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 23, 2016

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

HJE-Cobra posted:

Saw these on the internet today, it's Season's Greetings from US Ambassador to Japan Caroline Kennedy, and the rest of US Mission Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN_cWAfJ1fU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xuXlpvWw1I

So that's what they've been up to in Japan I guess.

Well, they also just made the single-largest return of US base land in 30 years to the government of Japan, so there's that.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

TCD posted:

Working level Spanish. You can conjugate indicative present, preterit, imperfect, and simple future and all the irregular verbs too. You have por/para down and can use direct and indirect pronouns. You can talk on pretty much any subject that would be relevant to the USG, but may have gaps in vocab and may struggle shifting the conversation to and from different subjects. The 2 for the reading part means you can pretty much understand any factual article, but may have a hard time parsing things like opinion pieces or readings poems.

Currently a 2/2 is four months of Spanish and a 3/3 is 6 months of training at the language school.

E: http://www.govtilr.org/Skills/ILRscale2.htm here's a link that talks about the different levels.

Thanks for the response and link.

I went to the site.

These are very good descriptors, IMO.

(I plan to take the DELE for Spanish in about a year and a half.)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So one of my references got contacted regarding my work history, and I'm a little befuddled.

Did the FSOT in October (third or fourth time go around, never made it past the PN which in this occasion I sent in last month).

Don't they check background like after the OA? In the dark over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Shageletic posted:

Don't they check background like after the OA? In the dark over here.

Yes. You fill out the SF-86 after passing the OA.

And in other news, I just got notified by BEX that I was added to the register today. Oh yeah.