Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
It stands for AFrica and you get to try to figure out if I am also joking or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bloodnose posted:

It stands for AFrica and you get to try to figure out if I am also joking or not

Africa As gently caress.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Lol that's rude don't lie

Bloodnose posted:

Darfuri War Orphan
Feb 28, 2006

My, Earth really is full of things!
Guys, I know you all bailed on your desk jobs to enlist in the Air Force after your schlubbiest compatriot insisted, "C'mon! It'll be like Stripes," despite never having actually seen it.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
What's this all about?

quote:

State Department Employee Arrested and Charged With Concealing Extensive Contacts With Foreign Agents

“Candace Marie Claiborne is a U.S. State Department employee who possesses a Top Secret security clearance and allegedly failed to report her contacts with Chinese foreign intelligence agents who provided her with thousands of dollars of gifts and benefits,” said Acting Assistant Attorney General McCord. “Claiborne used her position and her access to sensitive diplomatic data for personal profit. Pursuing those who imperil our national security for personal gain will remain a key priority of the National Security Division.”

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/state-department-employee-arrested-and-charged-concealing-extensive-contacts-foreign-agents

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Looks like an OMS sold classified to MSS. That's illegal and a Bad Thing.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!
With Tillerson maintaining the hiring freeze and talks about downsizing staff over the next two to three years, I'm wondering if there's any value in taking the FSOT in June other than for practice.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

The Operative posted:

With Tillerson maintaining the hiring freeze and talks about downsizing staff over the next two to three years, I'm wondering if there's any value in taking the FSOT in June other than for practice.

Everyone else will think the same way and you'll end up in a smaller-less competitive pool of candidates, thus improving your chances?

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
Failed the OA with a 5.2. I would also have had veteran's preference/language points. Better luck next year I guess. Congrats if any goons got in this round.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
You didn't fail, you just didn't score high enough to advance. Keep yer chin up.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.

Nutrimentia posted:

You didn't fail, you just didn't score high enough to advance. Keep yer chin up.

A former assessor actually told me this a few days ago. She basically said lots of qualified candidates clearly have what it takes to be an FSO when they take the FSOA, but just didn't show the skills they needed to show or didn't show these skills as often as they needed to on the day they needed to.

Try again!

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I feel like simply getting to the point of doing the OA interview stuff is an accomplishment by itself. Lots of people don't even make it that far!

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
Thanks for the support. I'll definitely be applying again.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!

El Mero Mero posted:

Everyone else will think the same way and you'll end up in a smaller-less competitive pool of candidates, thus improving your chances?

Good point. Signed up for the test in June. This is my first go at it, so I'm going to study and take a couple of practice tests to prepare.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012
Hats off to the Consular Section and whomever had ACS duties during this s**t show...

http://gizmodo.com/a-tech-bro-charged-dopes-thousands-for-an-island-getawa-1794739500

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
ACS in the Bahamas is always a treat I'm sure

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

Bloodnose posted:

ACS in the Bahamas is always a treat I'm sure

Add Jamaica to that list (I'd imagine)..

QuackAttackAggie
Dec 16, 2014

SCRwM posted:

Add Jamaica to that list (I'd imagine)..

Oh it is.

I have a friend in ACS in Bahamas. Said it's been interesting. I did six months in Jamaica ACS last year.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

This gig is overwhelming and I'm not even at post yet. Diplomatic passports and visas and housing surveys and car shipping and property managers and veterinary exams and school registrations and training sessions and vaccinations and travel orders and arranging consumables and introduction letters and flight tickets and...

...but it sure beats sitting on the register or waiting for the next FSOT cycle to begin.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
See how much easier your life would be without pets, vehicles or dependents? You know what you must do

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

See how much easier your life would be without pets, vehicles or dependents? You know what you must do

Looks like I'm set then *smirks in his empty and hollow existence*

Got my OA set for the 18th, gonna get a trip out of San Fran even if it doesn't pan out. I mean, Tillerson seems set on cutting people, rathering than hiring them.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
That just means there will be nowhere to go but up Up UP! in 4/8 years :downs:

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.

zzonkmiles posted:

This gig is overwhelming and I'm not even at post yet. Diplomatic passports and visas and housing surveys and car shipping and property managers and veterinary exams and school registrations and training sessions and vaccinations and travel orders and arranging consumables and introduction letters and flight tickets and...

...but it sure beats sitting on the register or waiting for the next FSOT cycle to begin.

First post? It gets easier. To be a fair a lot of it is more overwhelming then it should be/really is, especially if you're doing it the first time. Everything is new, unknown and more confusing then it should be. I remember being soooo incredibly stressed my first PCS; by the second PCS I'd complete chilled out and, more or less letting things happen as they happen.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

zzonkmiles posted:

don't worry, you only have to do it every two years

for the rest of your life

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

The Mantis posted:

don't worry, you only have to do it every two years

for the rest of your life

Usually three years after your first 2 tours.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TCD posted:

Usually three years after your first 2 tours.

Unless you sign up for garden spots in the Middle East that have one- or two-year tours.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

problematique posted:

First post? It gets easier. To be a fair a lot of it is more overwhelming then it should be/really is, especially if you're doing it the first time. Everything is new, unknown and more confusing then it should be. I remember being soooo incredibly stressed my first PCS; by the second PCS I'd complete chilled out and, more or less letting things happen as they happen.

Also stuff being remarkably unhelpful. I remember a bunch of my packets had the wrong phone number for the travel office and I didn't get the right one until I found the transport office in the directory and they gently explained to me that transport is for stuff and travel is for people DUH (but they did give me the right number and I was happy)

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

LOL. I got my welcome letter from post today and still have no clue what my actual job title is.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

zzonkmiles posted:

LOL. I got my welcome letter from post today and still have no clue what my actual job title is.

Details - don't stress the small things.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bloodnose posted:

Also stuff being remarkably unhelpful. I remember a bunch of my packets had the wrong phone number for the travel office and I didn't get the right one until I found the transport office in the directory and they gently explained to me that transport is for stuff and travel is for people DUH (but they did give me the right number and I was happy)

Very true. But it does get easier after the first time, because your friends and colleagues have all done it before, rather than you asking a bunch of your newly hired colleagues who are also panicking. Plus you figure out how to find the respective offices in DC so you can go deal with them in person.

I have the world's greatest HR tech - love him to pieces. I got my son added to my orders in under 35 minutes from when I submitted the form. I haven't had to PCS in four years, so I'm a little terrified to see who my travel tech is now...

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
That's also a magnificent thing. Most HR techs are infamously nonresponsive and unhelpful

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Hah yeah one of my buddies just got his orders cut because his awful HR tech was on leave. The person who was filling in was not useless and took care of it.

I've been on the job almost 4 years and am at least a year away from my first move, and I'm not looking forward to it at all.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

zzonkmiles posted:

I would go with "Minister without Portfolio" until someone says differently.

ScottyJ1
Jun 12, 2013
Hey all,

Longtime lurker, rare poster. I'm an aspiring FSO, on the POL register since January, and just got an email yesterday that appears to be an invitation to become a Consular Fellow. I am not entirely clear if this is more or less a job offer or just the option to move my 5.4 from the POL list to the CF list and then hope for an invitation to the Consular Fellows equivalent of A100.

Anyhow, as a POL 5.4 is basically DOA and I am looking for a change (and potentially a chance to pick up a language), I am thinking this is a great opportunity. The salary looks to be a little bit less than what I make now, but not enough to really bother me, and more than made up for with free housing.

Are there any pitfalls to consider before accepting? How are Consular Fellows received at post? Will the experiences be useful to future FS applications?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I was a consular fellow before they were called that. Your job is identical to an entry level FSO. They're treated exactly the same and most people won't know you're not a career FSO. But you don't have a language yet? They're hiring consular fellows and then training them in a language? That's crazy...

Anyway no it's not a pitfall, and the experience is of course great for a future FS application because it's exactly the same job.

ScottyJ1
Jun 12, 2013
It says people without an existing language will either receive language training or go to non-language-designated postings.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
When I was in, it was controversial whether or not they would recruit English CFs to go to India or Nigeria. Actually giving language training was seen as out of the question. Brave new world

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

I met a CF at Flag Day who had no languages and was being sent to Nigeria. I was a little confused by that at first because I thought CFs were recruited specifically for their foreign language skills. But he said he was on the Generalist register with a low score and he had the option to become a CF instead, so he took it.

Basically, a CF is an entry level Consular FSO on a fixed contract. You'll do the same type of work, but possibly for less pay (at least compared to new FSOs coming in at the FP-4 level).

Is it worth it? I don't see how this is a bad thing if you have a low score on the register. At the very least, you'll get good experience that should allow you to be eligible for the Mustang Program after three years if you ever wanted to pursue another FSO candidacy.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

zzonkmiles posted:

I met a CF at Flag Day who had no languages and was being sent to Nigeria. I was a little confused by that at first because I thought CFs were recruited specifically for their foreign language skills. But he said he was on the Generalist register with a low score and he had the option to become a CF instead, so he took it.

Basically, a CF is an entry level Consular FSO on a fixed contract. You'll do the same type of work, but possibly for less pay (at least compared to new FSOs coming in at the FP-4 level).

Is it worth it? I don't see how this is a bad thing if you have a low score on the register. At the very least, you'll get good experience that should allow you to be eligible for the Mustang Program after three years if you ever wanted to pursue another FSO candidacy.

I think the Mustang Program is only for CS and FSS - not other hires.

TCD fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
When I was a CF (then called LNA), we were explicitly not eligible for Mustang