Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

zzonkmiles posted:

It means you failed your Oral Assessment and your candidacy is finished. Condolences. Better luck next year.

Really?
I know I didn't do that well on it, but is it really that obvious from the score?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

Really?
I know I didn't do that well on it, but is it really that obvious from the score?

Yes, you would have received a conditional job offer at the end of the OA if you had made it. Sorry, that sucks.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Xelkelvos posted:

Really?

It's obvious from the score only because 5.25 is the threshold. Below that mean that your candidacy for this application is now finished. I believe they may have provided a score breakdown of the various components, but they don't offer specific feedback as to why you got the score you did.

It's hard to pass the OA. I don't have hard numbers and haven't paid attention since I passed a decade ago, but it was pretty common for the majority of OA takers to not pass it. I personally don't like using the term "fail" for the OA. If you make it to the OA, you've done well and demonstrated that you are FS material. If you don't clear the threshold, it sucks, but it doesn't me you suck. It's VERY common for people to take the OA multiple times.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nutrimentia posted:

It's obvious from the score only because 5.25 is the threshold. Below that mean that your candidacy for this application is now finished. I believe they may have provided a score breakdown of the various components, but they don't offer specific feedback as to why you got the score you did.

They didn't provide a breakdown which is why I'm confused as to how someone immediate figured it was the oral portion that I failed at.

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016

Xelkelvos posted:

They didn't provide a breakdown which is why I'm confused as to how someone immediate figured it was the oral portion that I failed at.

Because the minimum cutoff for the written test is like 150 or 160 or something and the cutoff for the oral is 5.25 and there aren't any other tests.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Xelkelvos posted:

I think a couple different concepts are being conflated here.

The overall application process is linear. The written test comes before the personal narratives, which come before the oral assessment. Since you referenced the 5.25 threshold, that's referring to the oral assessment portion (the other portions are graded on different scales). Within the oral assessment, there were (back when I took the exam/wrote the OP) three sections: the group exercise (GE) section, the case management (CM) section, and the structured interview (SI) section. You need to get a combined average score of 5.25 across all three to pass the oral assessment (realistically this meant you needed a 5.3 minimum). Since you said you scored a 5, it's just a tautology that you failed the oral. I don't think anyone has specifically implied anything about which section you failed, but it seems like you're reading it as someone suggested it was the SI.

But the original answer still stands -- a fail there is the end of your candidacy on that attempt. Try again next year. Most people don't make it their first try. A pass would have had you moving on to clearances and the register, and hopefully eventually a conditional offer.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

A former supervisor is going to my top post - well top 3 in the world and he'd be the person recommending any IT spots to the bureau. We just did the love to work with each other again/stay in touch talk.

Hell yeah

Also I know the CS bureau rep who concurs/pushes stuff from the DC side really well and meet up every few weeks to talk shop.

Hell yeah

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Very short vacancy announcement for DS Special Agent positions. Happy to answer any questions anyone might have.

https://careers.state.gov/work/fore...4bwtU7BSjhXkWz0

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Yup, like Leif. said, the score we are discussing is based entirely on the Oral Assessment. This score is a comprehensive score for the day, so it isn't clear which component was a strength/ weakness for you. That doesn't really matter, because it isn't a case of, for example, "passing" the written but "failing" the group exercise. It's just one big cohesive assessment. It's discouraging, but most people don't even get that far, so hopefully you can still find some satisfaction in an Olympic Silver medal of sorts. Keep competing; the Gold is within reach.

TCD, that's pretty cool news. It's nice to see when a network works in favor of our friends too.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hurrah, we have funding - no shutdown today.

I am so exhausted by this entire charade of funding showdowns every year.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.

the_chavi posted:

Hurrah, we have funding - no shutdown today.

I am so exhausted by this entire charade of funding showdowns every year.

Looks like we won't have to worry about anymore shutdowns for the next two years.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

zzonkmiles posted:

Looks like we won't have to worry about anymore shutdowns for the next two years.

May I introduce you to the problem of the "deficit".

Ordeith
Oct 26, 2002

If I troll again, I will eat Hello Kitty's brains with a spork

the_chavi posted:

Seriously, I have to imagine you could make a ton of money as an off-the-books shrink for most of State these days. Slightly to exceptionally unethical, but hey!

Hey, been ages since Ankara. And yeah I'd agree - lots of State are in super stressed situations now, and I feel for colleagues at USUN in NYC given what's happening in the city too.

Just wanted to pop in and wish you all the best - State Department folks have a lot to be proud of.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Real winners all around.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/02/26/diplomat-online-activity-blood-and-faith-471755

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

I imagine that guy will be walking the halls of HST for as long as the department lets him stay. Canít envision any office or post being willing to offer him a job.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Does anyone have any experience with bugs on the USAJOBS website while logged in? I can find postings just fine while browsing, but if I log in it tries to apply tons of filters at once and grabs nothing. If I deactivate all the filters it will then reactivate a filter or two anyway and refuse to find anything. If I open a posting in another window while logged out, it logs me in, but hangs whenever I try to save and continue through the resume section. It's pretty frustrating to not be able to apply to anything now.

Update: I've only gotten an automated response from the help desk but the problem only happens when using my macbook. My Android phone, using the same browsers and profiles settings, is able to proceed as normal. How strange.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 4, 2021

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Chrome and Explorer sometimes provide a better experience than other browsers on U.S. government websites.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Check out today's cables from Ankara - one of my subordinates got a Queen joke into a cable title. I'm so proud I could burst.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

the_chavi posted:

Check out today's cables from Ankara - one of my subordinates got a Queen joke into a cable title. I'm so proud I could burst.

Didn't get it in my phone, I'll have to check in the morning.

Meanwhile EERs continue to suck. I PCS in 2 days and don't have a reviewer statement yet. Despite being told 6 weeks ago that it was a priority because I'm leaving soon.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Never leave post with an unfinished EER.

Natural Ice
Mar 22, 2007
SPF 15

Business of Ferrets posted:

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Business of Ferrets posted:

Must be a monkey fist out there with a curled fingat.

Lucky me, my pre travel Covid test popped hot so I'm stuck at post for another week, which will give me time to finish this EER.

The family's been without me on SMA for 6 months already, what's another week, right?

gently caress my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tyro posted:

Must be a monkey fist out there with a curled fingat.

Lucky me, my pre travel Covid test popped hot so I'm stuck at post for another week, which will give me time to finish this EER.

The family's been without me on SMA for 6 months already, what's another week, right?

gently caress my life.

Jesus, I am so sorry. Get well soon, and feel free to remind your boss "JFC I have Covid!" if s/he's still being a poo poo about your EER.