Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

This is a really great thread and the information here is invaluable since no one official can ever explain anything in non press-release ready terms. So, I have a few general questions, and I'm less than happy with how the state department website organizes even basic information (non-searchable flash menus, yaaaay) though I may also just be dumb.

1) The list of cities overseas where the test is administered is available, but not any information beyond that--is it just the same date and time as everywhere else at the respective embassy/consulate, or am I missing something here?
2) Anyone else who has taken the test overseas care to share their experience?
3) I hope this hasn't already been asked but does taking the test more than once penalize you in any way or do they not care?
4) I'm also applying to a potentially relevant masters program: on the off chance that I pass the test(s) AND I get into school, is there any chance to defer the job offer or in some way get credit for it later or will I have to start from scratch if I want the job later?
5) Alternatively, if they give me the job and I decide not to take it, will they hate me for the rest of my life?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if all of these questions have already been covered to death!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

I just submitted my application for the test and I was somewhat surprised there's no information about locations.Sorry if this question has already been covered a hundred times, but can any embassy/consulate serve as a testing site? I'm floating between countries in eastern Europe at the moment and I'm not sure where I'm going to be exactly--will I need to give them a definite location and be assigned a definite place to take the test, or can I just pop in wherever? The first seems more plausible than the second, but I'm hoping it won't be a problem!

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Just registered to take the exam in Kiev on the 29th of September. Anyone else have experience taking the test at an embassy vs stateside? Specifically, it says not to bring bags, cell phones, watches, etc. to the embassy which kind of implies they don't have storage or it's gonna be a pain somehow. I've heard some horror stories from people applying for visas to the US about having to literally leave their bag in the bushes outside, but... yeah. I'm heading up in the morning and was planning on making it a day trip only. I could theoretically find some ramshackle storage at the train/bus station or leave it with hostel scum, but it would be somewhat out of my way and a big part of my test taking strategy is not being an exhausted zombie or anything other than well-rested and totally relaxed.

Small concern I know, but if there's anything else to be aware of that might be unexpected either about taking it in an embassy or just about the test generally, I'd really appreciate anyone who could share their experience.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Business of Ferrets posted:

Please don't describe security procedures in this forum.

No problem commenting on whether you need to check your phone, etc., but the other stuff should stay out, please.

You're right of course, but I love that your avatar fits so perfectly with your post.

I'm getting the idea that it's a mixed bag and that I probably shouldn't bring my bag into it without checking first. I guess I'll just have to give them a call.... :negative:

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Vasudus posted:

"With no qualifications to speak of, I learned the value of hard work, efficiency and pride in the workforce as a bagger at [grocery store x]. Although the occupation required little technical skill, I welcomed any opportunity presented that challenged my ability to perform new tasks. While doing so, I earned the respect of both my peers and the management appointed above me with my impeccable work ethic and dedication."

Governmentese is the best language to learn.

This is fantastic, the only example needed for writing a work history and bio.

I really wanted to say RIP Vilerat, this thread and all the people in it took me from "There's a state department?" all the way to understanding things well enough to give me the confidence to register for the test and feel like I know what the job is about. It definitely helped snap me out of my aimlessness and despair over my future.

It's impossible to explain to the lay-person how people on the internet can change your life just by being informative and honest and encouraging. It's clear he did that for a lot of people. I lurk a lot and I wish I had a chance to thank him earlier, but I'd also like to sincerely thank everyone else who has maintained this thread and kept giving advice and answering the same questions over and over and kept us updated about their postings. It seems like a really little thing, but this small, personal, and human interaction can have a huge positive impact on people's lives.

I'm a bit late in posting this, but I want you all to know your help and insight are really appreciated and important to more people than you'll ever know. It's not grand or showy, but I think your work in this thread is a fitting tribute.

Smerdyakov fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 14, 2012