Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
Hi all, new to the thread. I recently made a couple of posts on the English professor thread griping about my experience in a literature PhD program that I (thankfully) just completed. I feel like applying for the Foreign Service might be a good next step for me. I have considered the career for a while, but I have trouble choosing a track and committing to it. Politics and Public Diplomacy seem, on paper at least, to be the tracks of most interest to me. Politics is maybe of slightly more interest, but I suspect that my resume is more appealing in Public Diplomacy (although I think writing and editing experience are good for both?). What are the factors I should consider choosing between these tracks? I know that Politics is the most competitive track, so I am tempted to go for Public Diplomacy instead, but I know that does not make sense if Politics truly is of greater interest to me.

And on another note, this is not a dealbreaker, but is it true that this is a career that pretty much makes it impossible to own a dog?

TheLemonOfIchabod fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008

the_chavi posted:

I wouldn't look at what you think your resume prepares you best for but for what interests you the most. You manage people, money, and programs a lot sooner in PD work, and there's a lot of outward-facing events to attend. In POL, academic writing actually isn't usually a good training ground for the written work; it's more about meeting people, asking the right questions, and synthesizing disparate sources into a coherent, short, relevant narrative. Have you spoken to the DIR who covers the region where you live? S/he can probably give you more detailed info. For me, as a closeted introvert, while POL work at the entry/lower mid levels is all about outward facing engagement with people, I still find it much less emotionally taxing than PD work can be. As I'm moving up the ranks, I've found that I enjoy the management side of POL work - managing people and processes, policy recommendations rather than straight information gathering - to be more enjoyable than what I did for my first decade as a poloff.

Thanks! I didn’t even know diplomats in residence were a resource—I will contact mine for sure. Is there a track that is more suited to people with experience in academic writing? I wouldn’t say that maintaining the tone and style of academic writing is a high priority for me, but I guess I would be curious to know (truth be told, all the tracks are of some interest to me, but PD and POL are probably drawing me the most at this point). I can do coherent and short in addition to bloviating and verbose.

TheLemonOfIchabod fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 25, 2021