Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
e: wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Bizob posted:

figure out how to pay off $100k in student loans on one salary within the next month.

TCD posted:

I thought if you go to a hardship country there are student loan repayments.

Could someone explain this a litte bit further? How can one not continue to make payments on student loans as an FSO?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Slaan posted:

^^^ Listen to this man. Oh god, listen to Kalman.

It sounds to me like a Masters in just about any related field can get you in. I'm doing one in Public Affairs and could easily go into any of the tracks due to the broadness of the field; a polisci person would work well in Economics/Political tracks and a marketer might be able to get into Econ or Public Diplomacy.

Do what you want.

What sort of degree would then be most related to Consular? I think I remember the OP saying daily language skills are used, so perhaps something in a foreign language?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Is it possible to take the test without yet choosing one of the five career paths?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Dameius posted:

When you are applying to take the test you have to pick a cone as part of the application.

So if you fail it and later retake it, are you unable to change your cone?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Diplomaticus posted:

Ah, the week before christmas. So relaxing, don't have much real work on my plate, just gonna kick ba--gently caress.

Shouldn't the um, Swedish Foreign Service be worrying about that?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Zoots posted:

"mom blogs" are awash with both delight and despair.

This sounds entertaining and informative, could you link to a recent one?

Also, I watched a National Geographic program on the US Foreign Service on Netflix last week, have any of you seen it? What's your take on it?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Business of Ferrets posted:

Is that the one about ambassadors? I thought it was pretty good, but kind of missed the point by focusing on the ambassadors instead of the rest of the mission (where the work gets done).

Yeah, they mostly focused on this really old man with a southern accent who was ambassador to Japan, as well as a lady who was assigned to Pakistan right before 9/11. Other than that there was maybe 30 seconds of a guy talking about stamping passports all day.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
What's it like being an FSO in Saudi Arabia? When I studied in Austria one of my best friends was a Saudi Arabian guy who was in my German class, he was a really cool guy just really a great representative for his country. (Part of this may have had to do with the fact that both of our religions hate the papacy [I'm Lutheran :v: ])

Of course I know not all Saudi citizens are the same, but I just think it would be a very interesting change of pace to go from the rolling cornfields of the Midwest where I grew up to the sands of the middle of Arabia. I'm also interested in Islam and Semitic languages. Saudi Arabia isn't considered a "hardship" post, is it? I mean, I heard even McDonald's has a delivery service over there. :stare:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Skandiaavity posted:

Hear, hear. I'll drink to that.

So is it inherently better to be an FSO as opposed to an expat? Or what are the pros and cons to each facet?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Great responses from both of you!

BoF, you mentioned getting contacts and reporting, so is it safe to assume you're Political track? My question is, when you're just starting out, how do gain those contacts in the host country's media, press, etc.? It sounds like it should be trickier than it looks, and it looks like a tricky enough thing to accomplish.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

the_chavi posted:

All about expectations. I know RPCVs who have a really hard time being in an American bubble and want to get back out into Bumblefuck to be with the real people, and I know people from Bumblefuck, USA who want to exist in an entirely American bubble. Some friends who joined in their early twenties had a hard time lining up their memories of study abroad in the Middle East (no security restrictions, go hiking wherever you want, go offline for weeks on end) with the realities of being an official American (and thus, a juicy target) in certain Arab countries.

In my current post (Turkey) I've found it pretty easy to get out and mix it up with locals if I want to, though I must confess that my closest friend group is a group of long-time Istanbul expats. I supply bacon, they negotiate more complicated language scenarios than I can handle for me. We all win!

I'm glad people are still responding to this question, and I especially like your explanation on being an "official" American in an Arab country. I guess being a juicy target would make it a hardship post then, eh?

I was actually just in Turkey last year on a project with an NGO I was working for (no, my family's not rich, just took out a big fat loan to study abroad :P ) and really enjoyed it there. We went to symposia in Istanbul, Ankara, and Mardin. I especially loved driving all over the Mardin province with the group, it really feels like the northern "edge" of the middle east there. And since Istanbul is so much larger than Ankara, is there an embassy in both cities? Or just a consulate in one or the other?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

the_chavi posted:

What was the NGO, and what was the project? I have a lot of contacts who are originally from Mardin (Syriac Christians). I never got to visit during this tour, lamentably, but I'm hoping to serve in Ankara in the next 5-10 years, at which point I hope we'll make it down there a few times on road trips.

It was an Exkursion for the NGO head's (who was also my boss, this guy) philosophy class. Here's a press release. I was the only American in the group. Best lunch I ever had in my life was in the Kurdish quarter of Ankara on mother's day. We went to I think 3 different Syriac Christian monasteries in the Mardin province and even met the archbishop.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
First time taking the FSOT today. Was easier than I thought it would be, though I'm still not holding my breath.

I went with the PR cone, but I have no idea what their quota for hiring in that cone would be. Next time (and there's no doubt there will be a next time :v: ) I'll probably just go Consular to up my chances.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
What do you guys think of the movie In the Loop? Personally it's one of my favorites.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Not sure, I bought it on DVD in a blockbuster 2 years ago.

"White Stripes, out! ... There's only two people in the White Stripes."

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Apparently there's an "Arctic Region" post too.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
The FSOT results are in! ...and apparently my essay wasn't good enough. It's strange because I was a writing tutor in college, seems kinda hard to mess up. Oh well. What a great birthday today is so far :confuoot:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Quarex posted:

I know my Dad had a lot of trouble getting his clearance in the late 1970s, and his life was about as drama/vice-free as mine (but with similar random handfuls of foreign friends he kept in contact with, no mean feat for pre-Internet communications). What do you mean, things might have changed in 35 years?

Wait, is it actually bad to say what kind of non-American friends you have on the FSOT?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Hey all. Haven't thought about this thread in about 2 years or so, but on a whim I decided to give the FSOT another shot and finally passed the written portion. Now that I've been in the real (read: business) world for four years since leaving undergrad, my writing style was totally different and the whole test seemed like a breeze. On to the personal narratives!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Shageletic posted:

Turns out I passed the PNQ! Been posting in this thread for four years, and tried the FSOT 4 times, so it's a big thing for me.

And kind of extremely intimidating.

Could I ask what sector you're coming from?

I ended up failing the PNQs. I wonder if it's because one of the references was a contractor I've worked regularly with for 3 years, and whether they counted that as an "employee" I have charge over which would disqualify me. Unfortunately the email's language didn't indicate anything either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Looks like Christmas came early for Trump and Tillerson. They're gonna fill those slots with whoever the hell they want. Guess my failing the personal narratives this year was a happy accident...!