Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Any recent A100 grads here? My bro just went through it and I saw your swearing in ceremony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Vilerat posted:

Well as I said no handshake, it's too early. Whatever is as close to a handshake without being a handshake is what it is.

[ASK] me about serving at the US embassy in Baghdad! You aren't going to have nearly as much fun now as the rest of us did.

So, Imperial Life in the Emerald City: accurate?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Hello,

My brother is a FSO, been doing it over a decade at this point. We were recently talking and he mentioned that he thought the foreign service was desperate for IMS folks. I’ve been working as a UX (user experience) designer for a little over a decade.

I’m not sure how much longer I want to continue my current career, so I’m considering it a little more carefully this time.

I’m curious if any of the IMS goons in this thread would be able to comment on the level of expertise needed. Obviously UX design is not IT, I’ve never done an IT job. However, I have a fairly sophisticated understanding of digital stuff due to a decade of working around it, and designing for it. I know how to find things out I don’t know. I have a masters degree (MPS) with the word “telecommunications” in it (okay, it’s from the Interactive Telecommunications Program at NYU which is really an art degree). I have a BA in International Relations because I was interested plus my brother’s influence.

If I were interested in going on the ride for the last 20 years of my career would I have a decent chance of getting in as an IMS given my experience? Or should I just apply to be an FSO.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Magic City Monday posted:

It has to be pretty specific IT education/experience:

Hm that does look pretty specific, yeah.

Thank you!