Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Any idea if what you fill out under "Special Skills" on the Registration for the FSOT has any bearing on anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

After doing all kinds of research into what life has in store for me (domestic policy work, grad school, law school, campaign work, or mcdonald's) I've basically decided this is what I want to do. I applied to take the FSOT the other day and should be hearing back in January.

I know getting selected as an FSO (Political) is extremely competitive, but I was wondering if someone could tell me in what ways it is competitive.

Does it rely a lot on education, GPA, test scores, etc? Does it rely on past experience?

I have never been out of the country and my GPA is weak. I am not going to Grad School as far as I can tell. I don't speak a foreign language (Spanish a tad).

I really want to work in sub-saharan Africa. Maybe Uganda or Rwanda, etc.

Can someone give me any direction on my chances?

I've thought about trying to hook up with some NGOs and work in Africa with them for a few years and reapplying if I don't make it. Will this drastically improve my chances?

I am stressed out.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I'm obviously not putting all my eggs in the FSO basket. I am just trying to figure out what to do and I've decided that State is my #1 priority - as in I would drop everything else if I got hired.

I'm also applying to the Peace Corps' Masters International program to try and get my Masters and get a couple years of international experience as well in case I don't get in to state so that my app looks better next time around.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

That always baffled me because it's a government org.

I knew it was sometimes a barrier to intelligence work, but surely it doesn't effect the clearances for State work, does it?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

The stressed out part comes mostly from Finals Week after taking 18 credit hours this semester.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Ah ok that makes sense. I kind of gave my up fascination with the intelligence community after I grew out of Tom Clancy in Grade 8, but it's not something I've completely rejecting. We'll see, I guess.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Omits-Bagels posted:

I think it is 5 years after end of PC service.

Yea I just looked into it and according to the Peace Corps Thread, if you've worked in intelligence fields you're banned from the Peace Corps but not necessarily the other way around.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

So when we're talking about visible tattoos, are we talking visible in a suit or visible in a bathing suit?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Just got my e-mail saying I've been approved to take the FSOT. poo poo just got real.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Is that for the generalist position?

If you're asking me, yes. I got the e-mail this afternoon so I would assume anyone who applied should be getting theirs soon.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

TCD posted:

:q:

If you're in Kigali (or somewhere similar in Africa) I'd really love to talk to you via PM or something similar if possible.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Taking the FSOT on Monday, but due to a scheduling conflict I am busy all weekend.

Any tips on how/what to cram on/last minute study tips? I assume I could probably reschedule the test but my schedule is packed.

Wish me luck!

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

TCD posted:

Kramerbooks is awesome. I loved it there.

Did you get my reply to your PM?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I am preparing for the FSOT now. I was wondering what your background was? (re: QEP)

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Pretty nervous about this FSOT Monday.

I think I can pass the FSOT but I doubt I will get past the QEP. I have basically no international experience but I am just trying to get experience with the process and hoping to somehow slip through the cracks.

I think at this point I would definitely accept any cone offer I got. I applied for political but I think this job would be quite a bit of fun no matter the details.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Skandiaavity posted:

Hey, cool! We're taking it on the same day! Afternoon or Evening?

Also: need to study, need to study..

Afternoon.

Also: need to study, need to study..

Question:

It seems to me that you get a certain offer for a certain cone based on your performance. That is, you may apply for political cone and they may only offer Management or Consular. It's also been said that it is very hard or nearly impossible to switch cones once you're in. If cone offer was a deal breaker* (for instance, if a candidate was not interested in being a consular officer but extremely interested in something else) would it be better for them to reject the offer and try again for a higher score? Or is a rejection basically killing your chances of ever getting reoffered?

*I don't care. I want to go political but would probably live with another cone just for the sake of the job and lifestyle.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Thanks for the tips. I applied for political as it's what I want to do. I was just confused by all the different talk about getting offers.

I assume it doesn't matter what I wear to this test, right?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Miss Fats posted:

I assume it doesn't matter what I wear to this FSOT, right?

I ask because it starts in 2 hours and I would rather study than change. I assume it's just some test center worker who doesn't care that I'm wearing sweatpants and a tshirt.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

xanthig posted:

doesn't matter a bit. Your assumption is correct.

edit: unless you're testing at an embassy.

I am testing at the "Moberly Area Community College Career Center, ACT, Room C-2."

Sweatpants it is.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Finished the FSOT earlier today.

I'm not sure what's covered on the NDA but I figured you guys could let me know (those who do know) if you have questions and I'll answer with your ok.

I was pretty comfortable with the job knowledge and English questions. I am also fairly confident in my essay. The biographical part I have no read on. I think I did well but who knows.

Here's to you, Last-Minute-Cramming.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I honestly didn't expect to make it, but I'd be lying if I said a tiny part of me wasn't really, really hoping. I'll just look at it as saving the cost of a round trip plane ticket to DC and spending a couple of nights on a friends couch :colbert:

I did save all the questions I answered, I may go over them and see if there's anything I could be working on between now and whenever the next time they're looking.

This is me. I am basically going through the process now to familiarize myself with it. I don't think I have much chance making it past QEP (if my results come in high enough) but I am doing it because a) hopefully I slip through the cracks on personality, charm, or dumb luck and b) to familiarize myself for the next few years as I try again.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

It's about 3 weeks since I took the FSOT (and many others here). Scores should be coming in soon hopefully.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

This is neat and tangentially related to the current discussion (MSGs).

quote:

Marine saves injured man after hippo attack

3/22/2010 By Lance Cpl. Benjamin Harris , Headquarters Marine Corps

“It all started with an early [canoe ride] up the Zambezi River,” said Cpl. Justin Trinidad, a Marine security guard with Detachment Harare, Zimbabwe, Marine Corps Embassy Security Group.

The day that began with a simple tour ended with Trinidad saving the life of another man on the safari after the group was attacked by a hippopotamus March 14.

Trinidad, a Fort Lauderdale, Fla., native, and his girlfriend, Kaylynn Hankey, were enjoying a guided trip up the Zambezi River when one of the guides began shouting that there was a hippo in the water and everyone needed to paddle to shore, said Trinidad. Three of the boats did just that, but Javier and Patricia Franco didn’t hear the warnings until the hippo approached them.

“All I saw was the couple being launched a few meters in the air,” said Trinidad.

The wife landed a safe distance from the animal, but the husband landed right on top of it, said Hankey. The hippo went back underwater, and no one wanted to move.

“We were still freaked out because we didn’t know where the hippo was,” said Trinidad.

Trinidad realized something had to be done when he noticed that Patricia was struggling inside her oversized life jacket and heard Javier complaining about his leg, both still in the water.

Trinidad said he thought to himself, “God, please watch over me, because I’m about to do something stupid.”

He instructed Hankey to help him get to the couple, rowing over where the hippo was last seen. Hankey said she wanted to turn back, but Trinidad encouraged her to keep going.

“He said to me ‘I need you to be strong, calm down, and help me out,’” said Hankey.

As they approached the couple in the water, Trinidad realized that Javier required immediate medical attention. They steered the canoe close enough for the couple to grab on to the side of the boat before it was swept away by the river’s strong current.

As they rode the current, Patricia managed to let go of the boat in shallower waters and wade to the riverbank as the rest of the group continued to be taken downriver by the current. Hankey, who remained in the boat, grabbed on to an overhanging tree in an attempt to stop the canoe, but fell out instead. She held on to the branch until one of the guides could help her to shore.

Trinidad managed to steer the canoe to a rock in a shallow part of the river as the injured man held on. After helping Javier into the boat and pulling it to shore, the Marine began to assess the situation.

“That’s when I noticed that his foot was hanging by a piece of skin,” said Trinidad.

One of the guides came out of the brush and was overwhelmed by the extent of Javier’s injury. Trinidad calmed him down and tried several options for a tourniquet, eventually using a neck strap from a pair of binoculars. With the bleeding under control, Trinidad and the guides tried to figure out how to get the man to a hospital.

A family on a fishing trip pulled up in an all-terrain vehicle an hour later. Trinidad helped load the injured man into the back of the car using a deflated canoe as a stretcher. More than four hours and a car and plane ride later, Javier was in stable condition at a hospital in Johannesburg, South Africa.

Although Trinidad could not save the man’s foot, he said he was pleased when he heard how happy the Franco’s children were to be reunited with their parents.

“My dad died when I was little, so I was glad I could save [their] dad,” said Trinidad.

He doesn’t acknowledge his actions as a big deal. Trinidad said he saw worse things during his three deployments to Iraq as a field radio operator. But for those who witnessed the ordeal, including the Franco children, his actions were nothing short of heroic.

“My first instinct was to jump out of the boat,” said Hankey. “I was emotional, but Justin [Trinidad] stayed strong and helped us all. Honestly, if Justin wasn’t there, Javier would have died.”

http://www.marines.mil/unit/hqmc/Pages/Marinesavesinjuredmanafterhippoattack.aspx

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Last stat I heard said that Hippos killed more humans every year than any other animal.

Hippos coincidentally are one of my favorite animals. :)

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I also came here to post that I passed. Did we all pass?

In my letter it gives a link to launch the PN submission form. I just wanted to check here:

This submission form isn't time sensitive right? I want to get the questions but I don't want to open it and have it say "You now have 24 hours to submit your answers." or something.

JerkyBunion fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 24, 2010

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I was 99% sure but didn't want to risk that 1%. Thanks.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Anyone have any detailed post for advice on writing personal narratives?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I had a quick question about the Foreign Service Officers in USAID if anyone is familiar.

What is the hiring process like for USAID? From what I've read it's like getting hired for a regular job - respond to a job posting. In your opinion, is it more competitive, less competitive, or about the same as getting hired for State's foreign service positions?

Once hired, what is the training/career path like?

In general, how are USAID FSOs perceived by the DoS FSOs?

Vice versa?

I'm reading Career Diplomacy by Kopp and Gillespie to get ideas for the PNs and prepare for the FSOA and while I knew other agencies had FSOs I didn't realize the management was so departmentalized.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I applied for POL.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Good luck. Report back. I'm still coming up with ideas for the PN.

Is it ok to discuss PN material here?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I heard that in the past you would get a cost of living adjustment for DC assignments (among other places). For instance, you would get a 17% COL bump so while to a lay person a hardship bonus of 15% may sound great it's actually a cut in your salary. I also heard that the AFSA was lobbying to get the DC COL bonus to be standard (or at least bottom floor).

Confirm/deny?

(I'm not worrying about any of this, I am just curious).

I'm also wondering how thoroughly the background investigation goes into online presence. E.g. would they want to know which forums I post on? Would they want to read my posts in this thread? I don't know if it's happening currently but I could see it happening in the future.

Finally, I made the "mistake" of taking Spanish in college with absolutely no interest in going to Latin America. I'm going to try taking lessons and cramming in Arabic (yeah right) and French (took 3 years in HS, hoping to brush up to a professional conversational level). Realistically Arabic is a long shot and I won't have anything near proficiency until next round of hirings if I don't get picked up this time, but it may be possible that I get my French polished up enough. There are no bonuses for world languages like French right? Only languages like Arabic, Urdu etc?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Two speak on why I'm trying to pick up Arabic AND French: It's because I think I can brush up enough on French to pick up a bonus (Arabic not so sure, doubt I can figure out how to finance a trip to an Arabic country) and I'd like to work in Sub-Saharan Africa for the most part. I figure I speak French, Arabic, and English I should be golden for most of Africa.

Speaking of, in case I don't get picked up this round (which I doubt I will) I'm trying to find some sort of aid org or NGO (preferably Africa) to hook up with. Get some overseas experience, a salary, etc. Anyone have any ideas? Is that feasible?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Putting the final touches on my Personal Narratives. Due tomorrow at 11:59PM central. Any last minute advice?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

These PNs are killing me. I'm trying to hit a lot of the 13 Ds but I don't know how strong my narratives really are since I lack pretty much any international experience.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Originally I was just going to post: "Piqued." (http://www.dissociatedpress.net/2007/02/26/peak-vs-pique/) but then I read the rest of your post and felt like a dick.

I think it costs ~$50 to take the FSOT. Turning in the online application is free. With that in mind, I don't see any reason not to at least try. Study up on US History, English, etc and take the test. If you pass, you pass. If you don't, reevaluate and decide whether or not to take it again.

You can't win if you never play.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

My biggest regret is that I didn't do as much research as I should have into the application process. I applied on a whim and my application was finished in 20-30 minutes. I thought the application was only relevant to getting accepted to take the test but as has been said it's not and it worries me more and more the closer we get to learning the QEP results. As a result, I've been working on my Peace Corps Application for about a month.

Take your time.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Skandiaavity posted:

ditto what she said!

He, but it couldn't possibly matter less.

Don't ask.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

There's an SFSO coming to town in a few days to talk about the Foreign Service. I'd like to go if I am still around.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Still waiting to hear back from QEP. I'm also looking into overseas NGOs and/or other organizations that I could look into working with. I'm finished with school and getting ready to begin the campaign cycle but I'd really prefer something else. I'm also getting ready to submit my Peace Corps Application. This all leads me to a couple questions:

1) If, somehow, I receive an offer of employment from DOS and an invitation with the Peace Corps, is it possible to "defer" the employment offer until I return from Peace Corps Service? I'm assuming that candidacy terminates after 18 months no matter what but I wasn't sure if there was any sort of special clause for Peace Corps. Obviously if it's not possible, I'd take DOS over PC (and the chance of this scenario playing out is laughably slim anyway) but it'd be nice to do both.

2) Since Peace Corps and State are both "plan B" (unless I get an offer/invitation) I'm also looking for both short and long term employment with aid/development organizations and other NGOs. Basically I'm looking for the best way to get foreign experience and help people without having to pay for it (and preferably get paid for it since I am a broke recent grad).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

There would really be no chance of me turning down A100. If I got the job offer, I'd go. I was just wondering if there was a very slim chance that there was some sort of "Peace Corps Exception" where you could defer. I assumed there wasn't.

I am banking on getting denied by DOS this time around (probably won't get past the QEP) which is why I went ahead and started the Peace Corps process. I figured I can at least try for both, with Peace Corps not so much being backup but more realistic than DOS this time around. Hopefully leverage a successful PC tour into a position as an FSO.

Beyond that, I majored in Poli. Sci. with a concentration in International Relations/Comparative Gov. I focused most of my study on democratization and social cleavages, focusing geographically on East and Central Africa (my capstone research was on Uganda since Amin). I doubt there are many NGOs that work in fields promoting democracy, working with grassroots groups, mediation etc. and other types of politics in foreign countries but if there was that'd be cool. If not, I wouldn't mind work in education of some sort. I don't know anything about agriculture, health, or building trades. Beyond that, most of my skills lie in politics as I've been working campaigns for the past few cycles. I'm not sure what types of NGOs work in places like DRC, Uganda, and Rwanda but anything along those lines.

Oh, I did do some training in Rape and Sexual Violence prevention as a volunteer in college.

Anyway, thanks for the answers.