Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grr8
Mar 22, 2006
a'blocka bla'kow
I want to register for the Test but it seems like the website is always down...any idea what's going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grr8
Mar 22, 2006
a'blocka bla'kow
I got past that after about 30 mins of trying on and off to get the site to load. After putting my name and address in and setting up an account name/password, I tried to hit "launch" to start the application. I got an error message saying the site was down for maintenance.

20 mins later I receive an email stating:

"Dear FSOT applicant,

Thank you for your interest in the U.S. Foreign Service.

Your registration application has been successfully submitted.

You will receive a separate email when scheduling begins for the October 2009 test window that will provide instructions on scheduling a test appointment. Scheduling begins approximately 5-6 weeks before the test window opens."

So now I'm REALLY confused haha. Do they make it this hard intentionally?

I just sent an email to the ACT people hoping they can figure out whats going on... when I try to go back to the act.org/fsot Site there's no place to even log in so how the heck am I supposed to get back to where I started?

Grr8
Mar 22, 2006
a'blocka bla'kow

Business of Ferrets posted:

This sounds like wonderful practice for dealing with pretty much anything personnel or travel related at State.

That's what my Dad said too haha... =\

Anyways, application is in. Wahoo!

Went Economic.

Grr8 fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 1, 2009

Grr8
Mar 22, 2006
a'blocka bla'kow
How does one apply for DSS? I think it'd be great to work in an RSO office but don't know a lot about the application process.

Grr8
Mar 22, 2006
a'blocka bla'kow
In terms of security and such, should we be keeping our QEP results, and the fact that we're applying for FSO positions secret? I know that when applying for things like DSS they ask you not to tell people you're applying. I looked on the State site but didn't see anything really addressing this.

My girlfriend's mom has some former foreign-service friends that she wants me to meet and talk to for preparation, and I don't think that would be a problem but I'd hate for some indiscretion to ruin my chances farther down the line. :(

Also, congratulations to everyone else who passed and condolences to those who didn't.

Grr8
Mar 22, 2006
a'blocka bla'kow

SWATJester posted:

For those of you who have successfully navigated through the October 2009 FSOT Cohort: FSOA registration opened up today. You have until the 12th I believe. Get on it.

Was just about to post this. Wahoo!

Grr8
Mar 22, 2006
a'blocka bla'kow
I'm taking the orals next week too.

Wahoo!

Grr8
Mar 22, 2006
a'blocka bla'kow
Yup, Oct 2009 FSOT Economics Cone. Taking it on the 8th at Annex 44.

:)

Grr8
Mar 22, 2006
a'blocka bla'kow

SWATJester posted:

gently caress yeah.

I passed all 3 sections, for a 5.5 total (POL). With vet pref that will put me to 5.67. I'll crosspost a little mini-recap after I draft one for the yahoo list.

Congratulations!

Grr8
Mar 22, 2006
a'blocka bla'kow
Heyo, Meant to post earlier but got caught up in stuff at school.

Went to the Orals last week and didn't pass. 5.1 total score.

I passed the interview and case management, but apparently got sunk on the group exercise, which is really strange to me because I thought it went pretty well. I was contributing a good amount, asked some good questions and redirected conversations when they were wasting time. Maybe I was too passive or something, I'm not quite sure. I'm not too bummed about failing, but I can't really think of what I could have done better.

The FSO position was something I was really hoping for and was probably romanticizing a little bit... and now I'm at a loss as to where I should look for a career. I'm graduating in May and was the youngest person in my group by far, but I was really hoping to jump into something like the State Department right after I graduate.

Oh well. I doubt I'll take the test again. Lots of work and stress on top of school work for no result leaves a pretty bad aftertaste in my mouth.

Congratulations to everyone who passed. :) I'll still be checking in this thread periodically to see how everyone is doing.

On another note, it seemed like 1/4 of my Orals group had law degrees, and were struggling to find jobs elsewhere. It looks like you made a good decision swatjester, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grr8
Mar 22, 2006
a'blocka bla'kow
Now that my FSO hopes didn't pan out, I'm looking elsewhere for jobs in international development. Do you guys think I should mention the fact that I made it to the Oral assessment when writing cover letters, or should I not mention it at all seeing as I wasn't able to pass. I figure it shows an interest in the field... but I can see it as a negative as well.

Thoughts?