Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«618 »
hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

While we're talking about wheelguns and .38 / .357 loads, I actually figured out a way to get the crud rings out of my revolver cylinders in about 20 minutes (with 5 minutes of actual work).

1. Pull out the cylinder from the gun. Minor disassembly may be required based on model.

2. Put a shitload of Shooter's Choice lead remover around the crud rings with some Q-tips. Cover with a shop towel and leave for 10 or 15 minutes.

3. Come back and turn the cylinder upside-down. Let soak for another 10 or 15 minutes.

4. Get a nylon bore brush one size larger than whatever it was your gun is chambered in. This thing is going to be just for cleaning cylinders hereafter. I found that 10mm / .40 works great; the cylinders of any revolver will have a larger diameter than the bore, so you want something big enough to get in there.

5. Hook the brush up to a Dremel / Cordless drill and run it on low speed. Give the chambers about 15 or 20 seconds of a back-and-forth motion. I wouldn't advocate this with a steel brush (brass may be okay), but the nylon brushes work wonders. The cylinder will start to get a little bit warm, even on a low speed, so you don't want to leave the brush in there for so long that the nylon melts in your cylinder. Leave the speed on low and exercise a degree of caution and you'll be fine.

6. Drop a .357 into one of the cylinders and watch in amazement as it cleanly enters all the way into the cylinder without having to push it in there.

I was actually thinking of getting one of those deleading reamers, but after seeing the results of this method I think it's just as effective and far more economical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetrock
Jul 26, 2005

This is the tower of murder... it's where I hang out!

two of my babbies

I am fond of the adjustable sights on my S&W, for 4" bbl. snypah purposes.

This technically has sights.

Ron Mexico
Dec 31, 2004

Jetrock posted:

This technically has sights.

How do you like that NAA? Is that .22LR or Mag?

Here's a good site to drool over pretty wheelguns: http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/a...D=5&subcatID=49

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

wut wut

Only registered members can see post attachments!

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"

Grimey Drawer

On the topic of single action .357s, the SAA style gripframe is great for reducing felt recoil. If you let the gun roll in your hand it will feel a lot lighter and the hammer will be almost under your thumb so you can cock it as you bring the gun back to level.

A Blackhawk is also a pretty heavy gun so you will already be ahead of the game. I am fond of loads in the 125g @ ~1350fps or 158g @ ~1150fps range. They are light enough that you can shoot them all day without getting a flinch but heavy enough to have a satisfying *bang* to them.

Super light WC loads are where it's at for actually becoming a better shot. With a gun in the 40oz range there will be almost no recoil so it will be pretty clear what you are doing wrong.

Jetrock
Jul 26, 2005

This is the tower of murder... it's where I hang out!

Ron Mexico posted:

How do you like that NAA? Is that .22LR or Mag?

Here's a good site to drool over pretty wheelguns: http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/a...D=5&subcatID=49
It's the .22 LR. I am very unreasonably fond of it. I can actually kind of hit things with it. It gets a bit squirrelly when fired one-handed using relatively high-velocity rounds but nothing that can't be handled. Better if you have small hands, apparently. Sometimes I feed it subsonics or CB Cap just for grins.

It gets high points for sheer fun value, and you can stop any particularly fragile barn doors that threaten you within 15 yards.

Action Jesus
Jun 18, 2002

my two membership cards to the Ron Mexico's Wheelgunner's and Hot Dog eater's club of america

sza
May 30, 2003

hangedman posted:

While we're talking about wheelguns and .38 / .357 loads, I actually figured out a way to get the crud rings out of my revolver cylinders in about 20 minutes (with 5 minutes of actual work).

1. Pull out the cylinder from the gun. Minor disassembly may be required based on model.

2. Put a shitload of Shooter's Choice lead remover around the crud rings with some Q-tips. Cover with a shop towel and leave for 10 or 15 minutes.

3. Come back and turn the cylinder upside-down. Let soak for another 10 or 15 minutes.

4. Get a nylon bore brush one size larger than whatever it was your gun is chambered in. This thing is going to be just for cleaning cylinders hereafter. I found that 10mm / .40 works great; the cylinders of any revolver will have a larger diameter than the bore, so you want something big enough to get in there.

5. Hook the brush up to a Dremel / Cordless drill and run it on low speed. Give the chambers about 15 or 20 seconds of a back-and-forth motion. I wouldn't advocate this with a steel brush (brass may be okay), but the nylon brushes work wonders. The cylinder will start to get a little bit warm, even on a low speed, so you don't want to leave the brush in there for so long that the nylon melts in your cylinder. Leave the speed on low and exercise a degree of caution and you'll be fine.

6. Drop a .357 into one of the cylinders and watch in amazement as it cleanly enters all the way into the cylinder without having to push it in there.

I was actually thinking of getting one of those deleading reamers, but after seeing the results of this method I think it's just as effective and far more economical.

What a pain in the butt:

1. Take a *brass* (not nickel) .357 case over to your reloading press.
2. Bell it about 50% more than you would normally for seating a lead bullet.
3. Push it into the cylinder.

Viola, carbon ring gone.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

sza posted:

What a pain in the butt:

Viola, carbon ring gone.

I do this but sharpen the edge with a deburrer. This is also a great way to make a cigar punch.

Ron Mexico
Dec 31, 2004

Action Jesus posted:

Those grips are boss. They didn't come with the gun, did they?

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

We all got it coming, kid

Ron Mexico is the best Mexico

Bat Legs
Mar 13, 2006

It's been so long since I got the Webleys out of storage, I almost forgot I owned them.

Action Jesus
Jun 18, 2002

Ron Mexico posted:

Those grips are boss. They didn't come with the gun, did they?

Hells yes they did. .22 smokewagon deluxe.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

sza posted:

What a pain in the butt:

Viola, carbon ring gone.

I... I don't reload.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,

Grimey Drawer

hangedman posted:

I... I don't reload.

Then clearly you are rich enough to hire a day laborer to clean your guns for you.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Awww poo poo son, y'all best step back. DJExile be bringin' not 5, not 6, not 7...

but EIGHT shots of magnum firepower.

Picked this little guy up today for $260. Should be a great little gently caress-around gun.

Fun fact: Turns out this gun can also shoot the older .22 Winchester Rimfire (.22WRF), the first response to the .22LR, and effectively the grandfather to the .22WMR. It's a slightly shorter casing, and less powerful, but also ran $10/50rds, and that's a bullshit inflated gun show price. Hard to argue with that.

Ron Mexico
Dec 31, 2004

DJExile posted:

Did you get to shoot it today?

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Ron Mexico posted:

Did you get to shoot it today?

Nah, the show was in the Cleveland area (I'm in Toledo) and 2 friends wanted to go so it took the better part of the day. Should be able to in the next couple days. I'm curious to give this .22WRF round some work.

Ron Mexico
Dec 31, 2004

DJExile posted:

Nah, the show was in the Cleveland area (I'm in Toledo) and 2 friends wanted to go so it took the better part of the day. Should be able to in the next couple days. I'm curious to give this .22WRF round some work.

Oh you went to Berea? I was gonna but then I slept in and it was raining and...

Can you post a trip report when you get to shoot it? I've never gotten to try .22 WRF.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Ron Mexico posted:

Oh you went to Berea? I was gonna but then I slept in and it was raining and...

Can you post a trip report when you get to shoot it? I've never gotten to try .22 WRF.

Yeah the trip out was miserable, but the show wasn't bad. 3 barns chock full of motherfuckers and it got pretty good once the rain cleared out. You were right about the DA trigger. Is this something a smith can clean up? Or just dryfire the poo poo out of it?

Ron Mexico
Dec 31, 2004

DJExile posted:

Yeah the trip out was miserable, but the show wasn't bad. 3 barns chock full of motherfuckers and it got pretty good once the rain cleared out. You were right about the DA trigger. Is this something a smith can clean up? Or just dryfire the poo poo out of it?

I wouldn't dryfire it, but if you've got some empty cases feel free to chuck those in the cylinder and click away. It'll improve some with use. A smith could clean it up some too, but it's never gonna be like you'd get on a good centerfire gun. There are lighter trigger springs you can buy, but then you're inviting light primer strikes. Then again, if all this gun is ever going to be doing is range duty...

TheStig
Jan 3, 2009

Just need to mount the guns on the car....

DJExile posted:

Dry firing rimfire is a big no no.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Can...can I play?

AirPhforce
Apr 4, 2009

DJExile posted:

Awww poo poo son, y'all best step back. DJExile be bringin' not 5, not 6, not 7...

but EIGHT shots of magnum firepower.

Picked this little guy up today for $260. Should be a great little gently caress-around gun.

Fun fact: Turns out this gun can also shoot the older .22 Winchester Rimfire (.22WRF), the first response to the .22LR, and effectively the grandfather to the .22WMR. It's a slightly shorter casing, and less powerful, but also ran $10/50rds, and that's a bullshit inflated gun show price. Hard to argue with that.

Hate to show you up but...

Here's a real 8 round magnum made by a real manufacturer.

It sees alot of use and gets alot of abuse. Like any good revolver should.

sza
May 30, 2003

That's most of them, but I'm sure I missed a few.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

AirPhforce posted:

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over all the money still in my pocket when I make it go bang.

Seriously though that's pretty cool.

AirPhforce
Apr 4, 2009

DJExile posted:

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over all the money still in my pocket when I make it go bang.

Seriously though that's pretty cool.

Taurus makes an 8 round 357, but honestly the thing is so damned heavy I just couldn't do it for a daily-carry gun. I opted for the $800 S&W Scandium and it's served me well. It's big, but it's light. Great for a daily carry and I couldn't be happier with it.

Your 22 does look fun though. drat good deal for under 300 bucks.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I...I sold my revolver the other day

Goodbye Taurus Tracker

I'm going to buy one of these:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...nt_category_rn=

or one of these:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...=-1&isFirearm=Y

to replace it once I get a real, full-time job. Or maybe just a stainless 686 4". I haven't quite decided yet.

Or this:

sza posted:

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 12, 2009

Pristine Shits
Dec 11, 2004

sza posted:

i'm lovin it!!

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

I just want to say that Sza is the man. He let me shoot that .460 for free, out of the goodness of his heart. Also, I'm kind of sad that you have a shorty .44 and I didn't get to shoot it. That's one of my goals in life.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

We all got it coming, kid

Anyone know how I'd go about getting an unfluted .45 Colt cylinder for my Blackhawk? I'd also like a .45ACP cylinder to go with it, I learned of the convertible model after I got it

AirPhforce
Apr 4, 2009

charliebravo77 posted:

I'm going to buy one of these:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...nt_category_rn=

I have the non-performance center version. I can say its one of the finest guns I've ever fired. I can't possibly recommend it more.

Also, you can get the scandium 327PD for about 850, where as the rail plus perf-center treatment adds about 600 bucks.

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

Capn Beeb posted:

Anyone know how I'd go about getting an unfluted .45 Colt cylinder for my Blackhawk? I'd also like a .45ACP cylinder to go with it, I learned of the convertible model after I got it

It seems like the only unfluted cylinder .45 Colt ruger makes right now is the bisley model:

http://ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=447&return=Y

In any case, you'll have to call Ruger about getting cylinders fitted to your revolver.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

sza posted:

Holy gently caress do I love the Model 27 (tied with the 586 as my favorite wheelgun of all time). Yours is the first I've seen with the narrow, serrated trigger, Sza. Is it aftermarket, or is that factory? Almost all of the 27-2s were of the TH/TT variety, so it's rare to see one that breaks from that pattern.

sza
May 30, 2003

charliebravo77 posted:

Or this:

That particular revolver looks like it was someone's backyard project. The port job and front sight are definitely not factory. FWIW, the port is pretty ineffective as well.

DrakeriderCa posted:

I just want to say that Sza is the man. He let me shoot that .460 for free, out of the goodness of his heart. Also, I'm kind of sad that you have a shorty .44 and I didn't get to shoot it. That's one of my goals in life.

Next time we all meet up at Angeles Range I'll bring the 3" 629, and you can shoot it all you want. It's one of my favorite guns, even if the ported barrel gets lead all over the front sight.

hangedman posted:

Holy gently caress do I love the Model 27 (tied with the 586 as my favorite wheelgun of all time). Yours is the first I've seen with the narrow, serrated trigger, Sza. Is it aftermarket, or is that factory? Almost all of the 27-2s were of the TH/TT variety, so it's rare to see one that breaks from that pattern.

No way to tell really without sending away for a factory letter. The grips are definitely not the originals, so it's possible someone replaced the trigger.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

sza posted:

Next time we all meet up at Angeles Range I'll bring the 3" 629, and you can shoot it all you want. It's one of my favorite guns, even if the ported barrel gets lead all over the front sight.

I love you, man. Hopefully my Redhawk dream comes true soon, so I can shoot my own .44 again.

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008

On the note about cylinder gap, on older smiths you may have to look very carefully to see any light. My friend bought a S&W 27 that has a cyl gap in the thousandths of an inch.

Heres a pic of my .44 mag single action.

9 inches of "Barrel"

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice

AirPhforce posted:

Here's a real 8 round magnum made by a real manufacturer.

It sees alot of use and gets alot of abuse. Like any good revolver should.
What kind of clips are those? Also what sort of holster do you carry this with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Mexico
Dec 31, 2004

Omg50BMG posted:

On the note about cylinder gap, on older smiths you may have to look very carefully to see any light. My friend bought a S&W 27 that has a cyl gap in the thousandths of an inch.

Yeah, and that is not necessarily a bad thing. It helps velocity some (less gap means less gas lost before the bullet leaves the barrel) and you won't run into trouble with crud gumming up the rotation in one cylinder's worth of ammo. As long as the cylinder turns freely and never contacts the forcing cone you are good.

«618 »