Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«618 »
Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

"That's rad." -some yakuza guy

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

Fun Shoe

flightless greeb posted:

Forgot to post this when I got it fixed up. Some of you might remember this revolver I posted awhile back:

It's a S&W New Model No. 3 in .44 Russian, made in 1890 and sold to Japan for their Navy. At some point after being sold back to the US as surplus, someone cut down the barrel from the original 7.5" and thereby removed the front sight, without replacing it. It's also been reblued at least once so I thought it'd be a good candidate for something I'd always admired, namely having a dime installed as a front sight.

I searched around a bit and found an antique dime from 1890 for like $12 on ebay. Had it sent over to my dear friend Action-Jesus who is an accomplished machinist and after many diligent hours sweating over it, he produced this result:

DKHelmet provided some black powder reloaded .44 Russian rounds in order to properly regulate the sight. With all that's been going on I haven't had the chance to test it myself, but I'm super pleased with how it turned out! In keeping with how most ancient sights work, the dime is super thin and very difficult to see, but I'm not too worried since I don't expect this gun will get that many rounds through it.

A goon project that worked and is beautiful. Amazing.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Somebody Awful posted:

"That's rad." -some yakuza guy

Do you think 19th century american metallurgy is powerful enough to withstand the might of the hattori hanzo steel

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

Fun Shoe

flightless greeb posted:

Do you think 19th century american metallurgy is powerful enough to withstand the might of the hattori hanzo steel

Buddy even 25th century isn't.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

flightless greeb posted:

To answer this question we now turn to Sakamoto Ryoma, samurai revolutionary and Smith & Wesson customer.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

If I ever sell it on gunbroker I'll be sure to mention that the barrel was cut down by a wakizashi blade in a duel of honor

Action Jesus
Jun 18, 2002

flightless greeb posted:

If I ever sell it on gunbroker I'll be sure to mention that the barrel was cut down by a wakizashi blade in a duel of honor

And, also, a .750x.0313 High Speed Steel Keyseat cutter

I'm so glad you love it! I hope it shoots as well for you as it did for me, and holy poo poo black powder revolvers are dirty

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

LGS knows I have been wanting a 627 vcomp for awhile so he called me yesterday and said he got in a lightly used 627 TRR8 he will do $750 on. Its not a vcomp but that seems like a great price and in great condition from the pics he sent me.

Its about the last thing I actually need right now but that government cheese is sitting in my account just taunting me

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Yeah $750 do it duder

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Here you go. Juicy Fruit. Happy?

Got my stimulus same day as my paycheck. Seriously tempted to buy a couple revolvers (640 Pro and some sort of old-school 32 long) (edit: a Wrangler too)

...but the clerk's office is closed untill further notice. Can't get anything added (or deleted) from my permit.

And I wouldn't have anywhere to shoot anyway. The ranges are all closed.

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 17, 2020

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Missing Name posted:

Got my stimulus same day as my paycheck. Seriously tempted to buy a couple revolvers (640 Pro and some sort of old-school 32 long) (edit: a Wrangler too)

...but the clerk's office is closed untill further notice. Can't get anything added (or deleted) from my permit.

And I wouldn't have anywhere to shoot anyway. The ranges are all closed.

Dude, I totally feel ya. I could go down to the shoppe and buy a gun... but what am I going to do with it?

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

tarlibone posted:

Dude, I totally feel ya. I could go down to the shoppe and buy a gun... but what am I going to do with it?

Seize the property of hoarders and billionaires for redistribution to the proletariat.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

Seize the property of hoarders and billionaires for redistribution to the proletariat.

Down with the bourgeoisie!

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Nap Ghost

recently been looking for my next pistol and thinking a center-fire wheel gun is what i want. I want a Manurhin but I don't hate money that much yet, so instead I've been eyeing some of the Dan Wesson revolvers with swap-able barrels. Does having that feature decrease the accuracy at all?

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Shrieking Muppet posted:

recently been looking for my next pistol and thinking a center-fire wheel gun is what i want. I want a Manurhin but I don't hate money that much yet, so instead I've been eyeing some of the Dan Wesson revolvers with swap-able barrels. Does having that feature decrease the accuracy at all?

DW revolvers accuracy is typically quite good. Some attribute this to how the barrel is attached, which "pull" the barrel from both ends, putting tension on it. Some new S&Ws have a similar arrangement for cost-saving reasons; their barrels are not easily swapped by the user. If you change out barrels, you may have to re-zero though, especially if they are different lengths.

I have a Pistol Pac that I bought from a member here and it has been a good shooter. The only issue I've ever had with it is the ejector rod unscrewing during use. The trigger on the DWs is OK; while single action is quite good DA stacks and feels very springy though it has quite a short pull.

If you buy one, make sure that you don't get one of the older gen -1 models that has the porkchop shroud, those shrouds are not commonly available. You'll need to buy a barrel wrench and feeler gauges to set the cylinder gap if the gun you buy doesn't come with one.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

If you just want a centerfire wheelgun, a used S&W K frame can be had under $300 and will be an excellent shooter. The Dan Wessons are also excellent if you have a bit more to spend.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Nap Ghost

BadgerMan45 posted:

DW revolvers accuracy is typically quite good. Some attribute this to how the barrel is attached, which "pull" the barrel from both ends, putting tension on it. Some new S&Ws have a similar arrangement for cost-saving reasons; their barrels are not easily swapped by the user. If you change out barrels, you may have to re-zero though, especially if they are different lengths.

I have a Pistol Pac that I bought from a member here and it has been a good shooter. The only issue I've ever had with it is the ejector rod unscrewing during use. The trigger on the DWs is OK; while single action is quite good DA stacks and feels very springy though it has quite a short pull.

If you buy one, make sure that you don't get one of the older gen -1 models that has the porkchop shroud, those shrouds are not commonly available. You'll need to buy a barrel wrench and feeler gauges to set the cylinder gap if the gun you buy doesn't come with one.

How do you Identify a pork chop?

DeesGrandpa posted:

If you just want a centerfire wheelgun, a used S&W K frame can be had under $300 and will be an excellent shooter. The Dan Wessons are also excellent if you have a bit more to spend.

I live in part of NY where they make pistol purchases as frustrating as possible, If I am going to get one then wait almost a year to get it I might as well get something I can fidget around with when the mood strikes.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

DeesGrandpa posted:

I did this a while back on a whim and now that K frame is my favorite handgun to shoot. Anyone have recommendations on old .38s to branch out from a Model 10?

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Grenrow posted:

I did this a while back on a whim and now that K frame is my favorite handgun to shoot. Anyone have recommendations on old .38s to branch out from a Model 10?

S&W mod 14 or 15 are basically the nicer version of the mod 10 and not too spendy.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Shrieking Muppet posted:

How do you Identify a pork chop?

This is a porkchop shroud. The later shrouds don't have that downward projection. The porkchop setup also had an exposed barrel nut rather than a recessed nut.

e: sorry, didn't realize that the last link was broken.

BadgerMan45 fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 21, 2020

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Dan Wessons are beautiful. Love a slab-sided barrel.

In non slab-sided news, the new Ruger Super GP looks gorgeous. It even comes in chambered in 9mm- shame that it still has an 8-round cylinder, when the 357 can also hold 8. A 10 round 9mm version would’ve been neat.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

BadgerMan45 posted:

S&W mod 14 or 15 are basically the nicer version of the mod 10 and not too spendy.

Model 15s seem like they're the exact kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks!

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

Dan Wessons are beautiful. Love a slab-sided barrel.

In non slab-sided news, the new Ruger Super GP looks gorgeous. It even comes in chambered in 9mm- shame that it still has an 8-round cylinder, when the 357 can also hold 8. A 10 round 9mm version would’ve been neat.

Out of curiosity, since the diameters are pretty close with 357 and 9mm where would they get to 10 shots?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Grenrow posted:

This is A Good And Correct Opinion.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

DeesGrandpa posted:

Out of curiosity, since the diameters are pretty close with 357 and 9mm where would they get to 10 shots?

I guess I assumed there was more of a difference. I though I remembered that there were some carry revolvers that offered 5 rounds in 38 and 6 rounds in 9mm, but I looked it up and I was incorrect.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

I bought a new gun yesterday.

1938 Colt Officers King Super Target conversion with full rib, cockeyed hammer and short throw, Sanderson stocks. This has really been my big goal for a couple years now and found one on a non-auction site for a fair (not a steal) price. It's got some storage and use wear but mechanically excellent. I will be shooting it regularly.

At this point I'm going to chill a bit on buying and just watch for cool SAAs. After getting one I'm really understanding the appeal from a functional aspect.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

That really looks fantastic, seems like a perfect King gun really. Where'd you find it?

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice

flightless greeb posted:

That really looks fantastic, seems like a perfect King gun really. Where'd you find it?

Here. They do a great writeup on it.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...un_id=101424519

E: also, thanks, and when thinking about the price I asked myself would I rather want a new Python or this and this won hands down.

Now I know Grape has a similar gun that he got and found that the way King tuned his particular gun could mean if you shot the snot out of it it could go out of time easier than an untuned Colt action so I'll be interesting to see if it's been modified like his was. We discussed and decided that they probably were more concerned about absolute best competition performance and if you had to send it back to King every few years so be it.

If that's the case with this gun I won't be taking it every range trip but definitely bring out a few times a year but it's possible the mod his gun had was a special request or something. There was no limit to what King would do on a gun.

Sten Freak fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 22, 2020

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine

Grimey Drawer

Sten Freak posted:

1938 Colt Officers King Super Target conversion with full rib, cockeyed hammer and short throw, Sanderson stocks. This has really been my big goal for a couple years now and found one on a non-auction site for a fair (not a steal) price. It's got some storage and use wear but mechanically excellent. I will be shooting it regularly.

At this point I'm going to chill a bit on buying and just watch for cool SAAs. After getting one I'm really understanding the appeal from a functional aspect.

That is an amazing piece right there.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Grenrow posted:

Right on, Model 15s are nice and not too spendy. I have one that is marked as a Model 10 for some reason, has Sile grips, and has been slicked up that I picked up for <$400. Great shooter and probably the lightest DA revolver trigger I've ever felt due to the trigger job.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Sten Freak posted:

Somewhere, Sixgun is smiling.

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/865992536

Somebody really wants a hideously refinished K frame.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Not a bad price for a 547 at this point though

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/866632237

Are these cut frame Fuzzies on this PPC gun?

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I'd defer to any of the legit fuzzy experts left on the forum but they sure look that way.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

When I saw that EWK makes a muzzle brake for the small frame Dan Wesson revolvers, I couldn't help myself.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

That is one seriously weird-looking chunk of awesome.

And I'm pretty sure you could easily beat a person to death with those massive grips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

tarlibone posted:

That is one seriously weird-looking chunk of awesome.

And I'm pretty sure you could easily beat a person to death with those massive grips.
I assume you need those massive grips to be able to point that thing anywhere approaching horizontal.

«618 »