Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«618 »
BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

stealie72 posted:

I assume you need those massive grips to be able to point that thing anywhere approaching horizontal.

They help, it's a bit muzzle heavy given that it weighs 61 3/8 oz with 24 oz of that being the shroud alone (not including the barrel, brake, and other hardware). That said, the main reason they're on their is for looks and because the other wood grips I have cover the backstrap, which makes the trigger reach a bit too long for me in DA. I need to order another set from LBCustom that are a bit more ergonomic than the presentations, but still a good size for my hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

"Small" frame, big gun.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

hope to shoot it this weekend.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I've got a really itchy trigger finger. I wanna shoot so bad.

I mean, the guys in the league tell me I already shoot bad, but... no, they don't; I'm an OK shot. I tried to make a joke about it, but I can't. It's serious. I wanna shoot.

That's an interesting "rail" on that barrel. Is that custom, or did Colt (?) just make some like that for some reason? I've never really understood the whole vented rib thing on handguns. Not saying I dislike the look or anything, just... I don't get it. Is there a purpose?

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

The full rib, which is what that is called, was added by a company called King (guy's name was D.W. King). The purpose of the rib is to add a nice micro-adjustable self locking sight that can be adjusted at the rear for elevation (factory sights on this gun did adjusted at the front) and windage. And it'd lock into place without a set screw, just a click and you're good. Each click moved the point of aim 1" at 50 yards. It raised the rear sight a bit so the rib provided a raised front sight that was also anti-glare, being a series of ridges along the length of the rib. Finally that rib has a little mirror in the front which shines light onto the front sight for low light conditions. E: The rib also added weight to the barrel as well, increasing as you get toward the muzzle where extra weight was most helpful

This gun also has a cockeyed hammer which means it favors the left side of the gun for ease of cocking by a right handed shooter.

King also did action jobs, making the DA smoother and and SA lighter and faster to drop on this gun. They'd also convert the action in other ways if you wanted, SA only, whatever. They also did refinishes. Basically they'd do whatever you wanted to the gun.

Modifications like this were very popular in the competition world of the 30s and 40s. I'll get to them eventually in the Roper book. Hell he probably gives a way better explanation than me.

Sten Freak fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 29, 2020

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Sten Freak posted:

The full rib, which is what that is called, was added by a company called King (guy's name was D.W. King). The purpose of the rib is to add a nice micro-adjustable self locking sight that can be adjusted at the rear for elevation (factory sights on this gun did adjusted at the front) and windage. And it'd lock into place without a set screw, just a click and you're good. Each click moved the point of aim 1" at 50 yards. It raised the rear sight a bit so the rib provided a raised front sight that was also anti-glare, being a series of ridges along the length of the rib. Finally that rib has a little mirror in the front which shines light onto the front sight for low light conditions. E: The rib also added weight to the barrel as well, increasing as you get toward the muzzle where extra weight was most helpful

This gun also has a cockeyed hammer which means it favors the left side of the gun for ease of cocking by a right handed shooter.

King also did action jobs, making the DA smoother and and SA lighter and faster to drop on this gun. They'd also convert the action in other ways if you wanted, SA only, whatever. They also did refinishes. Basically they'd do whatever you wanted to the gun.

Modifications like this were very popular in the competition world of the 30s and 40s. I'll get to them eventually in the Roper book. Hell he probably gives a way better explanation than me.

Poor Tarlibone, asked a question and his bank account died.

Gotta keep up Insane Totoro's tradition.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine

Grimey Drawer

Figured I should crosspost this from the stimulus thread. I got my hand on an odd wheel gun from pre-Taurus Rossi, a Cyclops. It was only made/imported for two years from 1997 to 1998 so they're a little hard to find. A little something different to spice up the collection! Please excuse the potato quality pictures.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Conelrad posted:

Figured I should crosspost this from the stimulus thread. I got my hand on an odd wheel gun from pre-Taurus Rossi, a Cyclops. It was only made/imported for two years from 1997 to 1998 so they're a little hard to find. A little something different to spice up the collection! Please excuse the potato quality pictures.

I'm sorry but where is the gun in those pics? Underneath the anvil?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Awesome. With that much barrel and weight they still ported it. .38s probably feel like .22 shorts.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

I remember a few posters in here had Kimber K6s. How are they holding up? Any issues?

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

I ended up getting a K38 target version with a 6 inch barrel, because that's what they had at the store in good condition. It's been modified a little with some trigger work, I think. There's an extra thing that's been pinned over the normal trigger to make it wider. I don't know if the Model 14 naturally has this amazing of a single action trigger or if the previous owner did something else to it, but the single action is incredibly quick and clean. I looked up the serial number and it seems like this one was made in 1958. Too bad all the ranges near me are closed.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Grenrow posted:

I ended up getting a K38 target version with a 6 inch barrel, because that's what they had at the store in good condition. It's been modified a little with some trigger work, I think. There's an extra thing that's been pinned over the normal trigger to make it wider. I don't know if the Model 14 naturally has this amazing of a single action trigger or if the previous owner did something else to it, but the single action is incredibly quick and clean. I looked up the serial number and it seems like this one was made in 1958. Too bad all the ranges near me are closed.

Guessing that thing on the trigger is what's called a trigger shoe. I'm not a huge fan of them but they were really popular with people who shot them almost exclusively as single actions.

A 6" K38 of that vintage may well have had an excellent trigger from the factory, but if it's had a trigger shoe added it's a fair guess the previous owner may have also done that. As long as it's all safe I'd just enjoy it.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Also post pics!

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

DeesGrandpa posted:

Also post pics!

Here's some lovely phone pictures:

And here's a closer look at the trigger shoe:

The blueing doesn't look as good in these as it actually is. There's some wear on the end of the barrel and on the cylinder, but overall looks pretty good for its age.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Yeah that's quite nice, though I'd highly recommend new grips, getting some wood grips (especially period correct ones) makes a big difference in how it feels.

One more thing, the gun definitely has some holster wear, but be careful of holstering that one. There were a few cases of people popping themselves while holstering due to the trigger shoe getting caught up with more modern holsters that cover the trigger guard.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

DeesGrandpa posted:

Yeah that's quite nice, though I'd highly recommend new grips, getting some wood grips (especially period correct ones) makes a big difference in how it feels.

One more thing, the gun definitely has some holster wear, but be careful of holstering that one. There were a few cases of people popping themselves while holstering due to the trigger shoe getting caught up with more modern holsters that cover the trigger guard.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm thinking of getting some Altamonts, which is what I have on my other .38 special. That one had its original S&W grips, but they were a little too small for my hands.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Grenrow posted:

Thanks! Yeah, I'm thinking of getting some Altamonts, which is what I have on my other .38 special. That one had its original S&W grips, but they were a little too small for my hands.

Altamonts are good grips, but if you dont need them urgently I'd highly recommend just doing a nightly ebay look for used k frame grips, you can find some really neat old stuff on there. I was going to suggest Ahrends but they've loving doubled in price there from $70 when I got em to $140 which is nuts to me

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah that's a great gun! I think the 2nd revolver I ever owned was a S&W K38 with a 4" barrel, worse bluing than that but a great trigger and action. Some old magnas and a Tyler-T grip would be supremely comfortable and would look great on that thing I think.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

DeesGrandpa posted:

Altamonts are good grips, but if you dont need them urgently I'd highly recommend just doing a nightly ebay look for used k frame grips, you can find some really neat old stuff on there. I was going to suggest Ahrends but they've loving doubled in price there from $70 when I got em to $140 which is nuts to me

I'd like to echo a nightly Ebay search for getting good grips cheap. I'm pretty sure I paid about half the asking price of these Hogue "Fancy Whatever Wood" grips for my 640. It took a month or two of looking and waiting, but I got them for cheap.

Now I'm going to see if I can dig up what I paid for them.

Edit : Holy gently caress I got them for $23.50, shipped. The wood is Pau Ferro.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I was looking last night for some grips for my square-butt Model 10. I like the stock old grips and the Pachmayr grip adapter, but I'd like a fuller grip. I saw a couple of OK things. I'm fine with just a chunk of old wood; it don't have to be fancy.

I will be ordering the bonded ivory grips for my 629. We'll test the laser engraver on the back of them to see how it goes. Anyone have any ideas on applying color to plastic ivory, laser-engraved designs?

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Captain Log posted:

I'd like to echo a nightly Ebay search for getting good grips cheap. I'm pretty sure I paid about half the asking price of these Hogue "Fancy Whatever Wood" grips for my 640. It took a month or two of looking and waiting, but I got them for cheap.

Now I'm going to see if I can dig up what I paid for them.

Edit : Holy gently caress I got them for $23.50, shipped. The wood is Pau Ferro.

The true shame is that the uggo rubber stock boot grips j frames ship with now are the best grips. I still have my pink hogue G10 grips on my 360SC out of spite.

Also the 38spl sized steel hammerless j frame that is the 640 is just wonderful, you've really got about the perfect carry wheelgun.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

DeesGrandpa posted:

The true shame is that the uggo rubber stock boot grips j frames ship with now are the best grips. I still have my pink hogue G10 grips on my 360SC out of spite.

Also the 38spl sized steel hammerless j frame that is the 640 is just wonderful, you've really got about the perfect carry wheelgun.

I love it and sweet Jesus it shoots better with bigger grips. With the minimalist stock grips my hand was sliding all over the place.

I bought pink Hogues for it, but a week later these wood ones came along. I still have a decent Budís black boot grip kicking around.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Captain Log posted:

I love it and sweet Jesus it shoots better with bigger grips. With the minimalist stock grips my hand was sliding all over the place.

I bought pink Hogues for it, but a week later these wood ones came along. I still have a decent Budís black boot grip kicking around.

Try and give yourself a chance to do an honest comparison of the rubber boot grips vs wood grips. You can ignore the results a we all do but he rubber boot grips gently caress

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

DeesGrandpa posted:

Try and give yourself a chance to do an honest comparison of the rubber boot grips vs wood grips. You can ignore the results a we all do but he rubber boot grips gently caress

I think I have four or five different sets for reasons. I might have to do some science when ranges open again.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Captain Log posted:

I think I have four or five different sets for reasons. I might have to do some science when ranges open again.

Nah we all do. I actually threw away a bunch of sets during my cleaning recently, you just kinda accumulate them.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

My Model 63 (22 LR, J-frame, 8-shot, 9+ Awesome) came with what I would call combat grips. They follow the round butt profile, but they extend down to give you a pinkie hold, there are finger grooves, and... well, look up just about any "combat" grip, and imagine it in stock S&W rubber/plastic. I'm going to get some other grips for it at some point, but I haven't made a decision yet. These are big enough to get a good grip on, but small enough that even with the 3" barrel, I can still sort-of pocket the gun. (Of course, it's a stainless model, because I thought that was prettier than the slightly cheaper alloy, air-weight frame. So, calling it a "pocket" gun is like calling my Taurus 605, made out of steel, a pocket gun. It fits, but it's just too heavy.)

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

K38 update: I took the trigger shoe off to see if it was drilled into the trigger or something. Turns out it was just a couple tiny screws holding it onto the trigger by friction, so I just took it off.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

My soup has malfunctioned?

I have used electronics heat-shrink tubing to wrap up grooved revolver triggers. Itís a nice, reversible thing that makes grooved Smith triggers way more useable for me. The only thing is that if you donít relieve the tubing material from the backside of the trigger, it will sometimes not work in single action.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

I kind of like the grooved trigger, personally.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

The trigger on my Model 10 is serrated; that was the fashion at the time. Sometimes, I think it's bad, because it supposedly can cause you to pull the gun to the right when you pull the trigger. But then I pull the trigger, and it's so smooth. I probably shoot that thing better than most of my guns.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice

Shot the top one yesterday. It shoots so so nice at 25 yards. Bottom one has a shoe. It does feel good to me in SA but is wrong for DA. One screw is stuck on there,on what would be a nice nitre blue trigger. Iím sure itís marred from the screws.

Also shot this, 2 shots over a chrono and it locked up. Turns out the primer backed out. Ave 950fps 158gr which is fine if a little low for a 7.5Ē barrel but is not undercharged. I got the stuck shell out then took it to a smith today. Iím having him determine whatís wrong, fix it and then tune it and do a trigger job. The trigger is a little heavy at 6.5. When I got this it looked like it hadnít been shot in a really long time. The spring has a couple pieces of leather under the screw which Iím told is an OLD rear end gunsmith trick that could go back to the late 1800s. Anyway it needs a pro to go over it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

According to the USPS tracking website, my Altamont grips are coming today. I got a set for my wife's 1911, and I got the white, bonded Ivory grips for my new 629.

When I get them installed, I'll make sure they fit right. Then, I'm going to have the local store test-engrave something on the back of the grip, see what it's like filling it in with color, and then make plans to get the sledgehammers put on.

Then, I just need a ruffled white pillow, preferably in satin. (Actually, I do need some throw pillows for unrelated, purely decorative reasons.)

Edit:

I have to admit, the look is growing on me.

I also have to admit, these grips feel huge.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 8, 2020

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Here you go. Juicy Fruit. Happy?

A rare 32 H&R J-frame showed up, could be yours for a mere $1100!

or what about this one

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Short barrel PPC guns are just loving adorable and I wish this was a couple hundred cheaper

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867820833

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Final Blog Entry posted:

Short barrel PPC guns are just loving adorable and I wish this was a couple hundred cheaper

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867820833

Yeah no way anyone buys that for 7 hundo. PCC guns are rad as gently caress but they dont really go for much on the used market.

If I remember correctly this was just shy of $400 with shipping and FFL fees

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

ZebraBlade posted:

Yeah no way anyone buys that for 7 hundo. PCC guns are rad as gently caress but they dont really go for much on the used market.

If I remember correctly this was just shy of $400 with shipping and FFL fees

What kind of ammo is that? I'm intrigued.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I want one of those impossible to find Rossi Cyclops now. But even with their rarity, I've not seen record of one selling for more than $450.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

poeticoddity posted:

What kind of ammo is that? I'm intrigued.

Home rolled 38spl plinkers using 147gr blue bullets and bullseye powder

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

I want one of those impossible to find Rossi Cyclops now. But even with their rarity, I've not seen record of one selling for more than $450.

I'll just say that the one I picked up was closer to the $650 range. It's a weird market of a rare'ish, mostly unknown gun that most owners seem to keep. I've got a Guns and Ammo issue from 1998 with a Cyclops gun test article on the way to my house. The joys of pre-mainstream internet, weird make/model guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

Some ruined ebay grips following my meager attempt at restoration.

«618 »