Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«618 »
CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

New wheel gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

CainFortea posted:

New wheel gun.

Love this post.

And those goofy-rear end LBR's ain't half bad, neither.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

You planning to shoot down the bat plane?

That looks super fun. Looking forward to a trip report.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Here you go. Juicy Fruit. Happy?

Again, still can't buy new guns in my area due to the 'rona.

Is the NAA Ranger II top break as fun as it looks like it would be? No, not looking for a carry gun. And yes, a Wrangler is definitely higher up on my priority.

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

CainFortea posted:

New wheel gun.

, best use of spoiler tags.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Missing Name posted:

Again, still can't buy new guns in my area due to the 'rona.

Is the NAA Ranger II top break as fun as it looks like it would be? No, not looking for a carry gun. And yes, a Wrangler is definitely higher up on my priority.
Ok so I can't vouch for any NAA gun myself but you made me look at their site again and holy poo poo, they make a mini size fuckin cap and ball revolver. No way on earth I in particular would want one but you do you and that seems cool as poo poo.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

stealie72 posted:

You planning to shoot down the bat plane?

That looks super fun. Looking forward to a trip report.

As expected, shooting it offhand is weird. Very front heavy. Groups around 7 inches or so at 25 yards. I tried shooting supporting the barrel with my off hand but it doesn't actually help all that much. Shooting from bench was getting down to about 3 inch ish groups. Forgot to take pictures of the targets.

The action was good, the trigger crisp if a smidge heavy. The sights don't work very well with that long of a radius. The notch in the back isn't exactly precision sighting to start with, but having the distance increased that much makes it much worse.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Get an IWB holster for it

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Here you go. Juicy Fruit. Happy?

somehow got back into rereading the old James Bond novels. This is the original cover for "From Russia With Love."

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Cross-posting from my box thread. I finally got the grips done. Now I'm ready for some binge-worthy TV!!

And my range should be opening up next week. Limited capacity, of course. And probably limited to members only, which is fine because I'm a membersonly.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

CainFortea posted:

As expected, shooting it offhand is weird. Very front heavy. Groups around 7 inches or so at 25 yards. I tried shooting supporting the barrel with my off hand but it doesn't actually help all that much. Shooting from bench was getting down to about 3 inch ish groups. Forgot to take pictures of the targets.

The action was good, the trigger crisp if a smidge heavy. The sights don't work very well with that long of a radius. The notch in the back isn't exactly precision sighting to start with, but having the distance increased that much makes it much worse.
You know this means you need to rig up a bipod for it...

(No idea if that's legal).

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Missing Name posted:

somehow got back into rereading the old James Bond novels. This is the original cover for "From Russia With Love."

That was Geoffrey Boothroyd's personal revolver, actually. He had built it for quick-draw double-action target shooting, taking beer cans out of the air.

It's a Smith & Wesson M&P in .38 S&W with the barrel sawed down to 2.75 inches, polished and tuned action, a custom ramp front sight with interchangeable front inserts, Webley adjustable rear sight modified for click adjustments, symmetrical grips cut from an old shotgun stock, immersion blackened finish, chrome plating on just the sides of the cylinder, and cutaway trigger guard.

He would carry it in the Berns-Martin Triple Draw that he would recommend for James Bond for Dr. No (which is a clamshell held together by a spring, allowing you to just pull the gun forward and up into a firing position) loaded with 150-grain Keith-style cast lead semi-wadcutters. His friend built a can launcher from a Martini-Enfield with a shock absorber as a barrel, loaded with blanks; if he didn't have someone to launch for him, he took the head off a golf club and used it to whip cans into the air.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

That was Geoffrey Boothroyd's personal revolver, actually. He had built it for quick-draw double-action target shooting, taking beer cans out of the air.

It's a Smith & Wesson M&P in .38 S&W with the barrel sawed down to 2.75 inches, polished and tuned action, a custom ramp front sight with interchangeable front inserts, Webley adjustable rear sight modified for click adjustments, symmetrical grips cut from an old shotgun stock, immersion blackened finish, chrome plating on just the sides of the cylinder, and cutaway trigger guard.

He would carry it in the Berns-Martin Triple Draw that he would recommend for James Bond for Dr. No (which is a clamshell held together by a spring, allowing you to just pull the gun forward and up into a firing position) loaded with 150-grain Keith-style cast lead semi-wadcutters. His friend built a can launcher from a Martini-Enfield with a shock absorber as a barrel, loaded with blanks; if he didn't have someone to launch for him, he took the head off a golf club and used it to whip cans into the air.

Man thats neat. I know its good that we're safer today but there's something i love about loving launching cans into the air and Quickdraw blasting them.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Also, Boothroyd once had the cops show up at his door because there was a murder nearby with a .38 S&W revolver and he was listed on the local registry as owning one. He cheerfully informed the cops that it couldn't have been him, as he had mailed his gun to be used as cover art beforehand!

This was legal.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

I was looking at my local hunting shop, and I saw this in the used section. Going by cursory google searching, this seems like it should be a handsome, custom slab-sided revolver?

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/869321323 6" 686+-4 (no lock). These are fairly uncommon since they didn't make many of the 7-shot models before adding the lock. It may go for regular 686 prices if nobody bidding on it knows that.

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

Found this photo today thought it would be appreciated here. This is still my favorite pistol.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Bogon posted:

Found this photo today thought it would be appreciated here. This is still my favorite pistol.

Redhawk?

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

Yes with Nill grips.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

So now I have a gun (as well as an H&R 733):

Colt Cobra (1st revision, pre-shroud) dating to 1961. 15 oz unloaded with a 3.6 lb SA trigger. Looks like it has the Colt Royal Blue finish - it's deep, lustrous, and gorgeous. It was well kept and cared for; it has clearly been fired but cleaned well afterward. Unfortunately, it was stored for a long time in one of those leather/fur bags, which led to surface rust / pitting on the sides of the hammer (and a little bit on the barrel and front sight). Timing is good, gap is good, but the cylinder release sticks. I let it sit for a night with oil soaking in and then I slid it back and forth a couple hundred times, but it's still definitely tougher than it should be. I have to use the side of my finger with deliberate force to open it. If y'all have any ideas that don't involve trying to take this thing apart, that'd be lovely!

I didn't bother taking pics of the H&R 733 because it feels like a piece of junk, but it has some interesting qualities, I guess. I have its original box with all paperwork/manuals and a receipt from the hardware store it was purchased from. Looks like the gun is from 1980-1981 and was sold in December of 1981 - despite the box being labeled $119.99, the receipt indicates a sale price of $80. I'm the second owner. It's in absurdly good condition. Aside from some scuffing on the grip panels, any imperfections I see could easily be from manufacturing. I was going to fire a cylinder through it before I sell it, but I'm second guessing myself now, because I am not 100% sure if it has ever been fired. If only I had stumbled across a slightly more desirable gun in this condition.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 25, 2020

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

The release is the first thing you get to mess with if you take the sideplate off. I get not wanting to do it but if itís giving you issues that oil and time arenít fixing that is the next step.

E- examine the cylinder locking bolt to see if it is rusty or anything? If itís dry put a tiny drop of oil there. You could do that assembled too. Sweet gun

Sten Freak fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 25, 2020

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Gorgeous looking Cobra! The D-frame snubs from Colt are my absolute favorite of the smallish 38s to shoot. The Cobra is lighter than the Det Special too if carry is of interest to you. I can't recommend a Tyler T grip enough for one of these, it improved the shootability of my DS enormously.

I had to stalk ebay for a couple weeks to find an old one and it did cost like $75 but I don't regret it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

flightless greeb posted:

Gorgeous looking Cobra! The D-frame snubs from Colt are my absolute favorite of the smallish 38s to shoot. The Cobra is lighter than the Det Special too if carry is of interest to you. I can't recommend a Tyler T grip enough for one of these, it improved the shootability of my DS enormously.

I had to stalk ebay for a couple weeks to find an old one and it did cost like $75 but I don't regret it.

Yeah, one just popped up in my saved searches today for a Colt J or I frame (I think).

Good luck finding one for a S&W round-butt K/L frame, though. Those are super rare, apparently.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Okay, apparently Mernickle pancake holsters for the Ruger Blackhawk are unobtainium right now. Should I spend $50 on an "Azula" leather pancake holster, or $60 on a no-name but nice-looking kydex holster? Or should I pony up the $150 and just get a Kenai chest holster? Or throw $100 at Mernickle and wait the indeterminate amount of time for them to make me a belt holster?

Use case: concealed hiking in black bear/wolf country.

Or should I say gently caress it and just rock a G20 like the cool kids do?

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

I was looking into Kenai chest rigs for a hunting trip that will now never happen and they had overwhelmingly good reviews so if you're okay with a chest holster there's in probably one of the better options.

In other news, it's recently come to my attention that Uberti has made a limited run of ported 10mm 1873 Cattleman revolvers dubbed the Ursus and I now want one.

Badly.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

infrared35 posted:

Okay, apparently Mernickle pancake holsters for the Ruger Blackhawk are unobtainium right now. Should I spend $50 on an "Azula" leather pancake holster, or $60 on a no-name but nice-looking kydex holster? Or should I pony up the $150 and just get a Kenai chest holster? Or throw $100 at Mernickle and wait the indeterminate amount of time for them to make me a belt holster?

If you're going with pricey and longer wait times I'd recommend diamond D, they have some incredible custom holsters in that 100-150 range. The guides choice chest holster is pretty nice, I have the Alaskan hip holster for my 686

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

infrared35 posted:

I get that this is the revolver thread, but a semi-auto seems like a no-brainer compared to a single-action revolver when it comes to CCW or not getting mauled by carnivores.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

infrared35 posted:

Maybe look into a Kit Bag from Hill People Gear?

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Would it be a bad idea to put a dab of blue loctite on a right hand threaded S&W extractor rod? It keeps backing out on me when I go to shoot and preventing the cylinder from opening.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

That is commonly given advice. Some people say you should tighten it with a specific wrench instead, but I had a smith do that to my Model 10, and it didn't last. Blue Loctite did.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Carbohydrates posted:

Colt Cobra (1st revision, pre-shroud) dating to 1961.
Hey, any idea of the value of this btw? I have it out as trade bait on a local forum because I don't care that much about old Colts, but a couple people are asking about just buying it outright and Gunbroker comps are all over the drat place. It's got pitting on the sides of the hammer, a little on the barrel, and a tiny bit on the trigger. Some finish is rubbed off on the butt and some of the hard edges. Mechanically fine, and I got the cylinder release workin' pretty good.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

So I was looking at my model 14 again, and thinking about the adjustable sights. How do you actually adjust these things (assuming that eventually my range will still exist after the lockdown hit)? I hope whoever owned this previously didn't have it set to something weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Grenrow posted:

So I was looking at my model 14 again, and thinking about the adjustable sights. How do you actually adjust these things (assuming that eventually my range will still exist after the lockdown hit)? I hope whoever owned this previously didn't have it set to something weird.

Should be pretty self evident, just the elevation adjustment screw and the windage screw. Id check to see if it's already good for your ammo when the range opens before loving with it though.

«618 »