Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Poniard posted:

If I ever get an LCR I want it to look like this

drat, what kinda grip is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Poniard posted:

What do you want to use it for? I was considering getting a .22 lcrx as a range toy but I've been leaning towards a .327 federal magnum lcr lately

Yeah the 327 is awesome and shooting 32 short and 32 long in it feels like about the same recoil as a 22magnum.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Plinking is what I use my Model 63 for. I went with steel because I liked the look and I had some money to burn, but I really did consider the LCRX for a good, long while.

The light frame increases felt recoil, which can be an issue for 38 special (especially +P), in particular if you're just using it for plinking. I don't mind recoil much if it means life or death, but little lightweight guns in normal duty calibers are rarely fun to shoot just for shooting's sake. Hell, there are ultra-light 357 magnums out there, and... no thanks. But in 22 LR, there shouldn't be a problem at all with that.

If nothing else, then the trigger pull, which will probably be surprisingly heavy, can help you learn to be a better shooter.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

The LCRx has a considerably smoother and lighter double action pull than my j-frame. Also it's a heavier steel frame and has a really nice hogue rubber grip with a little dr. Scholl's style gel insert in the webbing of your hand which makes even the 327 full power loads more manageable than most hot .38+p in the smith.

Not sure I'd go with 22 unless cost of ammo is the primary reason. 327 federal and 32 h&r magnum have been in stock in every gun store I've visited recently despite 9mm and basically every other common caliber being sold completely out.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

drat, what kinda grip is that?

It looks like someone made a mold of a hogue g10 grip and poured their own clear rubber/polymer

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Poniard posted:

It looks like someone made a mold of a hogue g10 grip and poured their own clear rubber/polymer

It's pretty danged cool.

Except for being orange.

gently caress orange.

:has PTSD flashbacks of perpetually winded VOLS fans in Tennessee smelling of ham and Evangelical Christianity:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Poniard posted:

Lol, youíre probably right- I was thinking it might be checkered bakelite.

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

Some real bladerunner vibes from that LCR.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Picked up a silver Ruger Wrangler. It does feel more like a toy than a firearm, haven't shot it yet but:

What I like:
-the color schemes are kind of neat but also somewhat out of place on an old western gun
-the price
-very inexpensive
-doesn't cost much

What I don't like:
-free spinning cylinder, in both directions. Means to unload you have to manually line up every chamber with the ejector rod. Maybe most or all single actions are this way, I dunno but I thought some would click to position on a half cock load/unload
-it's not as light as I had thought, probably seems worse as it's very front heavy since the back of the gun is thin zinc or aluminum casting
-yeah the loading gate is really really stiff. oiled and worked it until my fingers sore and still pretty tight
-transfer bar is loose and rattles around. not unique to this Ruger though
-sights are weak. I know cheap but not sure why they couldn't make the rear notch and front blade slightly wider

Kind of wish I had just saved for a Single Six, but hard to beat for the price and considering I used a $50 gift card on it. Looks and feels more like an expensive toy gun than a cheap real gun. Would be a good around-the-farm pistol i guess with snakeshot or just a fun range blaster.

Captain Log posted:

It's pretty danged cool.

Except for being orange.

gently caress orange.

:has PTSD flashbacks of perpetually winded VOLS fans in Tennessee smelling of ham and Evangelical Christianity:

Same but it's playing Tennessee, Florida, and Clemson at the end of every season aka The Orange Crush.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I like that Ruger made the Wrangler but I'd never consider buying one over a Single Six personally. Most Single Six's I've handled have been pretty nice quality and enjoyable to shoot. That said I stick with I-talian SAAs for my actual revolver shooting.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

THERE'S FASCISM IN MY GIANT ROBOT ANIMES

Whatís the go-to manufacturer for .357 SAAs, anyway? Thinking once I have an income again I might get some sort of single action for gently caress-around purposes, since Iíve always loved the design.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

For the price of $179, you really can't go wrong with the Wrangler.

I'll eventually get a Single Six, especially being that was the first gun I ever shot, but the Wrangler will do fine until then.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

For the price of $179, you really can't go wrong with the Wrangler.

I'll eventually get a Single Six, especially being that was the first gun I ever shot, but the Wrangler will do fine until then.

This is kind-of my take on it.

One of my early posts in this thread dealt with wanting a little 22 wheelgun, and someone suggested I try to find a $200 or $250 Single Six. And I did. And they do not exist anymore. Rough Riders are not compatible with my state's laws, and right about then, the Wrangler was announced.

I am 100% sure that there are nicer 22 SAAs out there. And I am still 100% sure that I've had $200 worth of fun with my Wrangler. My cousin's daughter took her first shots (so he says) with that Wrangler loaded up with 22 shorts.

I'd like to get a 357 SA of some kind, but then I feel like I'd "have" to get a 357 levergun too. I actually do want a Super Blackhawk, but I have to spend money on boring stuff like refrigerators now.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Whatís the go-to manufacturer for .357 SAAs, anyway? Thinking once I have an income again I might get some sort of single action for gently caress-around purposes, since Iíve always loved the design.

The Uberti Cattleman is a good option.

Tyler Whitney
Jan 21, 2020

Why don't you make it sing?

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It was USFA, but, uh, that died thanks to ZIP

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Uberti or their American associates at Taylor's or Cimarron are the go tos if you don't want a Ruger Vaquero.

Like I said, I'm glad the Wrangler exists, I just wouldn't buy a $200 gun when a nicer version exists for a few hundred more (and I wouldn't even buy that because I don't like 22s!!) lol

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

tarlibone posted:

This is kind-of my take on it.

One of my early posts in this thread dealt with wanting a little 22 wheelgun, and someone suggested I try to find a $200 or $250 Single Six. And I did. And they do not exist anymore. Rough Riders are not compatible with my state's laws, and right about then, the Wrangler was announced.

I am 100% sure that there are nicer 22 SAAs out there. And I am still 100% sure that I've had $200 worth of fun with my Wrangler. My cousin's daughter took her first shots (so he says) with that Wrangler loaded up with 22 shorts.

I'd like to get a 357 SA of some kind, but then I feel like I'd "have" to get a 357 levergun too. I actually do want a Super Blackhawk, but I have to spend money on boring stuff like refrigerators now.

I missed a $300 Single Six sold through the forums that I'm still kicking myself over. But I agree, they're pretty damned hard to find. I also prefer not dealing with private sales for firearms if I don't have to.

For what it's worth, a little kid could handle 22lr out of a Wrangler.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

So I took the Wrangler apart, and found part of the issue why the loading gate is so stiff. The loading gate was scoring the frame, mainly from flashing around ejector marks. You can see these circles on the loading gate, and where they scored the frame as it rotated. I stoned these down, and also smoothed the top of the spring that puts tension on it which was kind of rough and had a burr. Added a bit of anti-seize to the flat where they were rubbing, which actually masked the rub marks slightly since the gun is silver. Much better now.

So if you have a stiff loading gate, check your frame for this wear pattern and loading gate for the high spots.

Styles Bitchley fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 22, 2020

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

What kind of stone? Are we talking a sharpening stone, like for a knife?

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

I used a small fine india stone:

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/search/productdetail.aspx?sid=24138&pid=9622

The loading gate is apparently very hard as the needle files I used were still leaving a raised spot. Also hardly any wear on it at the bottom where it rubs the spring. A file or whatever can get in there should work just may need a bit more elbow grease.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Cool, thanks. People say "stone it" and I figured it was probably some kind of special version of a sharpening stone. Aluminum oxide is a commonly used material for those. I watch blacksmithing videos on the YouTube, and special stones come up from time to time when people are making blades.

I like how the listing says you can use "stoning oil." So I guess I can get that from the CBD shop up the road, right?

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

so i'd like to put a flashlight on my old charter arms undercover and i've been unsuccessful in finding examples of others who have done the same

i haven't evaluated this beyond napkin mathing the materials cost and mocking it up / sketching it out, but it seems doable for a lot less than the cost of a gun it actually makes sense to put a light on + the cost of the light itself, and i'm okay with doing the work

basically, the gun has a one-piece steel upper frame and an aluminum trigger guard / grip frame. i can get a used grip frame for cheap, and i don't think I'll need to modify anything besides the trigger guard / grip frame, so it'd be reversible. what i'm thinking is a housing for the emitter/reflector forward of the frame/cylinder under the barrel/ejector rod, and having conduit for the wires running along (or maybe in place of) the trigger guard to the grip where i'll have the switch and battery/ies. all of these things will be welded / soldered to the trigger guard / grip frame, and i'll more than likely remove material from the grip frame to accommodate the batteries/housing

is anyone aware of any actual wheel guns where something similar was done? the closest i can find is the Russian OTS-38 with its integrated laser and conduit -- pretty cool, but aside from what i surmise is the switch placement, not a lot of design cues for me to borrow from

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

eighty-four merc posted:

is anyone aware of any actual wheel guns where something similar was done? the closest i can find is the Russian OTS-38 with its integrated laser and conduit -- pretty cool, but aside from what i surmise is the switch placement, not a lot of design cues for me to borrow from

Holy poo poo this thing is so cool, I am dying to see footage of it in action.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

eighty-four merc posted:

so i'd like to put a flashlight on my old charter arms undercover and i've been unsuccessful in finding examples of others who have done the same

i haven't evaluated this beyond napkin mathing the materials cost and mocking it up / sketching it out, but it seems doable for a lot less than the cost of a gun it actually makes sense to put a light on + the cost of the light itself, and i'm okay with doing the work

basically, the gun has a one-piece steel upper frame and an aluminum trigger guard / grip frame. i can get a used grip frame for cheap, and i don't think I'll need to modify anything besides the trigger guard / grip frame, so it'd be reversible. what i'm thinking is a housing for the emitter/reflector forward of the frame/cylinder under the barrel/ejector rod, and having conduit for the wires running along (or maybe in place of) the trigger guard to the grip where i'll have the switch and battery/ies. all of these things will be welded / soldered to the trigger guard / grip frame, and i'll more than likely remove material from the grip frame to accommodate the batteries/housing

Sounds like a cool project. Laserlyte used to make revolver rails, even had one for Charter Arms but seem to be discontinued. But you can see the general idea:

https://www.officer.com/tactical/firearm-accessories/firearm-parts-up-fit-systems/product/10048908/laserlyte-revolver-rails

You could buy one of these if they had them, or perhaps even find old stock and modify it. Or a tall pic rail and cut it to do the same thing. Since you seem willing to permanently modify the gun maybe cross drill and put a spring pin through the front of the barrel lug to mount, dimple the frame for rear set screws or drill for a dog point set screw that acts like a blind pin that is removable. You may be able to find or fabricate a wire channel that mounts from this rail system on the right side to your grip, so not to have to affix to the frame other than perhaps a screw or something to keep it flat. I would not weld or braze on the frame if you don't have to.

e: uploading pic for posterity

Styles Bitchley fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 25, 2020

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

My grandfather passed away this summer and I ended up with all his guns. Most of the handguns are S&W revolvers from the 60's and 70's, but there was a rough looking old Colt I hadn't thought much about and I didn't really know what it was. But then Ian uploaded a Forgotten Weapons video about it.

Whoops, it's an 1892 manufactured Colt Thunderer.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

checkstock posted:

My grandfather passed away this summer and I ended up with all his guns. Most of the handguns are S&W revolvers from the 60's and 70's, but there was a rough looking old Colt I hadn't thought much about and I didn't really know what it was. But then Ian uploaded a Forgotten Weapons video about it.

Whoops, it's an 1892 manufactured Colt Thunderer.

Wow. That's pretty cool. If I had one, I'd be sorely tempted to find a way to load up some gnatfarts to shoot with it.

... in other news... Tyler Manufacturing has cashed my check. The process of T-Gripping my 686 has begun! I can't wait to do business with a company whose website reminds customers to be nice to them if they have to be contacted.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Some folks here were talking about the Model 329, which answers the question, What do you do when shooting full-power 44 magnum out of a Model 29 is just way too drat comfortable?

Well, one of my favorite knuckleheads on the YouTubes, Mr. Ken "Tucky" Ballistics, a fan of guns that recoil hard, takes it on in his latest video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEjBvp6q1eg

Remember, folks, that baby's gonna kick like a virgin. You have to re-level quick.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

tarlibone posted:

Some folks here were talking about the Model 329, which answers the question, What do you do when shooting full-power 44 magnum out of a Model 29 is just way too drat comfortable?

Well, one of my favorite knuckleheads on the YouTubes, Mr. Ken "Tucky" Ballistics, a fan of guns that recoil hard, takes it on in his latest video.

Remember, folks, that baby's gonna kick like a virgin. You have to re-level quick.

Phrasing. Anyways, it's kick like a virgin goat.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

It's a Venture Bros. quote. Imagine that line being spoken by Colonel Gentleman (1960s Sean Connery) as he's telling a young boy (Rusty) how to expect the rifle he's holding to react when he uses it to shoot the neck of Half Jackal (an antagonist; guess what he looks like) in order to save his father's life.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

tarlibone posted:

I think I developed a flinch just watching that.

I actually didn't mind the recoil of the 500 mag the few times I have shot one. I thought the 460vxr was worse and snappier.

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

Why hello bday gun

People that have shot with me know I will buy that and then run my reloads through it.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

The other day I bought a S&W "model 28" which turned out to be a 50's era (pre-model 28) highway patrolman. Will post pics after I put a scope on it. The S/N ends in 357, which is a sweet little coincidence.

e: figured out the answer to my silly question and removed the question.

Doctor Dogballs fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 4, 2020

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Will post pics after I put a scope on it.

wut in tarnation

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

Don't. Do. That.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Doctor Dogballs posted:

The other day I bought a S&W "model 28" which turned out to be a 50's era (pre-model 28) highway patrolman. Will post pics after I put a scope on it. The S/N ends in 357, which is a sweet little coincidence.

e: figured out the answer to my silly question and removed the question.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

My soup has malfunctioned?

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Will post pics after I put a scope on it.

Dude, get a 90s era or later revolver for that. Smith and Wesson started drilling and tapping their revolvers for scope mounts in 93 or 94. Otherwise, you are destroying the value of your gun. This does not apply if someone already did some externally obvious gunsmith work, or refinished it, or itís cosmetically very rough, but 50s era 5-screw Smiths are best left as-is if itís not already wrecked.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I say do it. It's a 28, not a 27.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

So do you guys think those "no drill" scope mounts are too flimsy? (the ones that you take off the rear sight and replace it with the scope mount using the same screw holes.) Would those screws be too short or not thick enough to take the recoil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Doctor Dogballs posted:

So do you guys think those "no drill" scope mounts are too flimsy? (the ones that you take off the rear sight and replace it with the scope mount using the same screw holes.) Would those screws be too short or not thick enough to take the recoil?

Some of them that I've seen come with a warning not to use anything heavier than a micro red dot. Mainly I think people were objecting to the idea of permanently modifying a very nice old revolver. What mount in particular are you using or thinking about getting?