Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I don't feel like necro-ing the S&W thread, so dbl pst.

The 5906TSW is a great gun. Very well built, decent parts availability, plus it's got a light rail. Wonderful trigger. Long and kind of heavy, but smooth and with a very short reset in SA. The grips are designed for a person with hands twice as big as mine and fingers like bananas. I find the large frame, non-short reach Glocks much more amenable than the 9's and .40's and never could get a decent grip with my firing hand on double-stack S&Ws. Tried the original curved grip and the Hogue rubber stocks, which was a mistake. Sure it helps with recoil, but it makes the gun almost half an inch thicker. Enter the straight stock grip from Brownells. Holy Hell, this changes everything. Nearly twenty years of shooting these things and I somehow never had one in hand with the straight backed grip. Funny how much better the trigger feel now that I can actually reach it! It's like putting new tires on an old car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

madeintaipei posted:

Do round-frame or square-frame T-grips work with round-to-square conversion stocks, I wonder?

The conversion stocks usually eliminate the need for a T-grip because they fill in that space behind the trigger guard that the T-grip is designed to fill. The T-grip won't work with any stocks that cover the part of the grip frame that faces the trigger guard, as far as I can tell.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

tarlibone posted:

The conversion stocks usually eliminate the need for a T-grip because they fill in that space behind the trigger guard that the T-grip is designed to fill. The T-grip won't work with any stocks that cover the part of the grip frame that faces the trigger guard, as far as I can tell.

Ya know, I kinda start thinking about a set of wood stocks with guitar wire inlayed between the sides and front strap.

Stocks with well dampened electronics. Electric bass revolver. Einstürzende Neubauten levels of bass.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

As requested. On a chopped up M1917 that I got a pretty good deal on due to it's altered condition. It was wearing some pachmayr rubber grips but I picked up some repro 1917 grips for it. Too bad whoever did this didn't bother to pay for a trigger job too, definitely has a military trigger.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

That's a perty pretty pistola you got there.

Is that 45 ACP? Moon clips? Or maybe 45 Auto Rim, which if I understand correctly is a round that is a 45 ACP but with a rim. I wonder if the revolvers made for those are any different.

Tell ya what. Send me that gun and a bunch of ammo so I can relieve my curiosity. Just kidding.

... or am I?

Seriously, though, who cares if it's altered. That thing looks awesome.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

tarlibone posted:

That's a perty pretty pistola you got there.

Is that 45 ACP? Moon clips? Or maybe 45 Auto Rim, which if I understand correctly is a round that is a 45 ACP but with a rim. I wonder if the revolvers made for those are any different.

Tell ya what. Send me that gun and a bunch of ammo so I can relieve my curiosity. Just kidding.

... or am I?

Seriously, though, who cares if it's altered. That thing looks awesome.

Oh I don't mind that it is chopped up a bit, it's a fun shooter and I paid less than $350 for it IIRC. I'd like to get another in original config as well, but I also like stuff like this. You could fire auto-rim or .45 ACP w/moon clips, either will work. You can actually shoot the S&W 1917s without moon clips, like most modern revolvers they have a stepped chamber so the cartridge will be held in the right place. The moon clip is just for extraction, without it you'll have to poke out the empty cases with a stick or something if they don't just fall out. Some of the Colt 1917s have chambers bored straight through, so without the moon clip .45 ACP will just fall through the chamber.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

My T-grip arrived on the same day my one-mark KA-BAR arrived! And there was no other mail. No other parcels.

I WON DELIVERY TUESDAY!!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Double post because pictures at an exhibition.

tarlibone posted:

My silverblack Altamont grips are being made. But in the meantime, I found some factory grips on sale, so I figured, what the heck, how will this look? They are pretty dark, so they don't look too bad:

I wonder how they'll feel. Probably less comfortable, but hey, they look pretty neat.

madeintaipei posted:

Chrome or bronze T-Grips would look boss on that thing.

flightless greeb posted:

Yeah a Tyler T or a pachmayer grip adapter makes those thin grips infinitely more shootable plus they look better

madeintaipei posted:

Bronze T-Grips would look boss on that thing.
Edited by Butch Cassidy

Butch Cassidy posted:

This one. Do this one.

I've had a search saved on eBay ever since. A hundred notifications. A few dozen of those were even 3R's. They always went for too much, often starting there, and almost never in bronze. No low ball offers; they knew what they had, I guess? So in November, figuring that I've spent $46.75 on stupider things, I sent a personal check to the Tomahawk Grip folks. And in less than three months, I got my T-grip.

And they look killer with my silverblack classic panels:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Uhhh the finish on the front of my Ruger Wrangler cylinder has been blasted away around all the chamber exits after only a few dozen shots. This doesn't seem normal to me?

My GP100 has the cylinder finish intact in the same area after several dozen full power magnums and hundreds of .38 spc fired...

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Seamonster posted:

Uhhh the finish on the front of my Ruger Wrangler cylinder has been blasted away around all the chamber exits after only a few dozen shots. This doesn't seem normal to me?

My GP100 has the cylinder finish intact in the same area after several dozen full power magnums and hundreds of .38 spc fired...

Got a picture?

In my experience, revolver cylinders getting insta-fouled up means there is a timing issue. But I'm talking really fouled up.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Seamonster posted:

Is the finish actually gone or do you just have lead fouling on top of the finish making it look like the finish is gone?

I have had similar lead buildup on some of my .22s and scrubbing with hoppes and a brass brush took it all off.

Some lead is normal but if you have an extreme amount you may have some bad ammo, cylinder timing or forcing cone issues.

Post some before and after pics and hopefully another goon owns one and can verify if theirs looks the same. If not try some different ammo and then followup with Ruger.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Thanks, it was lead as I was shooting lead RN. But it was so uniform I don't think it was timing issue so forcing cone is the last possibility left. I''ll pack some plated bullets next time I shoot it and see what happens.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Ugh. I bought a really nice Mernickle belt holster for an SAA-pattern gun... but it's for 3.5" barrels.

Should I buy a 3.5" SAA clone? If so, which one? I see Uberti and Beretta make nice-looking "short stroke" 3.5s, but only in .45LC. I mean, I'm okay with that caliber, but I'm wondering if there are any in .38/.357.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

Is this the next evolution of finding brass for a gun and then buying a gun to go with it? Because I’m 100% on board.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Ophidian posted:

Is this the next evolution of finding brass for a gun and then buying a gun to go with it? Because I’m 100% on board.

I don't know, but I have a feeling that if I bought a revolver in 45 LC, it might never see factory ammo.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

I bought 4 boxes of 44 mag, shot through it on a range trip and then never bought any more ever again.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Frank Dillinger posted:

I bought 4 boxes of 44 mag, shot through it on a range trip and then never bought any more ever again.

I bought two boxes of 44 special and I have the same story. A helpful goon even sent me some range brass.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice

Did ruger stop.making this?
https://ruger.com/products/lcrx/specSheets/5431.html

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

It's still listed on their main site, but they might not be making any right now, since I imagine that particular configuration isn't super popular. I had that exact gun for a while, but I ended up selling it. If I were you I'd get the .357 magnum version and use .38 special, the steel frame will be heavier and soak up more recoil.

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333979739364

I have been trying to stay off ebay lately after getting my Amex bill this month. I took one little peek and suddenly...the biggest herp I ever done derped is staring me in the face.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Quickshanks posted:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333979739364

I have been trying to stay off ebay lately after getting my Amex bill this month. I took one little peek and suddenly...the biggest herp I ever done derped is staring me in the face.

"Out of Stock"

You got those, right? RIGHT?!

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

natch

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

Man. Someday I want to acquire a 60-4 in .38 with the 3" underlug barrel and target sights -- basically that in .38 without the lock -- as it seems to me possibly the best possible blend of easy to carry and easy to shoot accurately that has ever been or will be.

But my thinking is, if I ever get my hands on one... Well, actually, I would probably put the Nill stippled finger groove grips that are on my M-36 right now on it since they somehow fit my hand so well. BUT if I got one and was going to go the grip adapter route, there is no way I would put anything else but a pair of Tyler trufit micartas on it. I don't know what it is, but nothing out of all possible materials seems to pair up better with a stainless finish than that Old Yeller micarta.

You would think that if Tyler, the same Tyler who invented the goddamn grip adapter in the first place, also had his own line of custom grips (Tyler Tru-Fit) and obviously thought butterscotch micarta was his favorite material for making them out of, he would have at least made a few T grips out of the same micarta. Maybe I'm crazy but with the curve and the finger grooves, the grain would be amazing and I would be hoarding every micarta adapter I laid eyes on.

Quickshanks fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 30, 2021

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

That is one handsome six-shooter. Micarta does look good on stainless.

I would imagine that the material itself made it difficult to work into a grip adapter. Molding metal is no big deal; people have been doing it for centuries. Maybe something about the shape of the adapter made molding it out of micarta a more difficult proposition? But for that matter... why not just have a full grip out of micarta that fills in the void behind the trigger guard, totally eliminating the need for an adapter? Did Tyler or anyone else make those?

I'm coming around on dark grips mated to silvery (stainless, nickel, etc.) guns. In particular, the charcoal ruby boot grips on my 63 look quite fetching. It'll be time to get some big-rear end target grips or something else for my 629 soon, and I'll definitely be looking at wood with some red cues. I saw some nice walnut grips, too, that I'm sure would look nice. If I get something that looks good enough, then it'll become my Sunday Gun.

I've also been thinking about getting some wood stocks for my Model 10 (bigger than the stock ones it came with). I like the Grippers I have on it, but something that looks a little nicer could be fun, too.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 30, 2021

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

tarlibone posted:

That is one handsome six-shooter. Micarta does look good on stainless.

I would imagine that the material itself made it difficult to work into a grip adapter. Molding metal is no big deal; people have been doing it for centuries. Maybe something about the shape of the adapter made molding it out of micarta a more difficult proposition? But for that matter... why not just have a full grip out of micarta that fills in the void behind the trigger guard, totally eliminating the need for an adapter? Did Tyler or anyone else make those?

I'm coming around on dark grips mated to silvery (stainless, nickel, etc.) guns. In particular, the charcoal ruby boot grips on my 63 look quite fetching. It'll be time to get some big-rear end target grips or something else for my 629 soon, and I'll definitely be looking at wood with some red cues. I saw some nice walnut grips, too, that I'm sure would look nice. If I get something that looks good enough, then it'll become my Sunday Gun.

I've also been thinking about getting some wood stocks for my Model 10 (bigger than the stock ones it came with). I like the Grippers I have on it, but something that looks a little nicer could be fun, too.

Micarta has been a fairly popular knife handle material for almost 100 years. It's just layered canvas, micarta, paper, etc. impregnated with plastic resin. Less mold, more moulded. Maybe Grey Stormy can chime in here, but I'm pretty sure it can be milled like anything else.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 30, 2021

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Hey Quickshanks, I won an old sort of hosed up Pre-Model 27 on GB today and one of its hosed up parts is that someone sanded the grips down so they have no texture. I'm trying to decide on what to replace them with - some old Magna's and a Tyler T? Does anyone make reproduction cokes? I'm not a fan of stag or that'd be perfect. Do you have anything semi/kinda neat, 1950s N-frame in your collection that you'd be willing to part with?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I know Altamont makes some replicas of the Roper style target grips.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 5, 2021

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

Altamont makes replica Roper and Coke bottle grips at the moment I believe, but I am not sure how well regarded they are by purists. I think the replica Coke Bottle / "Hertiage" grips currently being offered by Eagle are a little higher regarded, and Nill Griffe replica coke bottle grips would rate a decent bit higher than that if you are willing to pay for replicas. But that's just your replica coke bottle options, and either way I would haunt ebay looking for a used set versus paying retail for any of them, in case you find yourself disappointed.

My main recommendation, if you aren't set on cokes or coke replicas, would be to trawl ebay like everyone else for a set of Fuzzy Farants / Starks / Hursts / original handmade Hogues or Sandersons. You won't get a pair for crazy cheap like we all want to unless you get real good and devoted to it, but you can eventually get a pretty decent set for a perfectly fair price. My main advice on the latter is basically just...don't be impatient. Wait till you find the set that you really want. You'll know it when you see it.

on a somewhat unrelated note:

oh yeah. they fit. they fit real tyte.

https://youtu.be/TtbCdqmdfO4

Quickshanks fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 5, 2021

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Thanks! I may buy some eagle grips or something to use and then set up a saved search or two - are you just looking for the keywords you just listed or do you have any other tips for finding retro grips on eBay?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Quickshanks posted:

on a somewhat unrelated note:

oh yeah. they fit. they fit real tyte.

https://youtu.be/TtbCdqmdfO4

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

tarlibone posted:

I know Altamont makes some replicas of the Roper style target grips.

Got some on my 27-2

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Those are gorgeous. I checked the site recently and it looks like they're not currently in production tho

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

flightless greeb posted:

Those are gorgeous. I checked the site recently and it looks like they're not currently in production tho

Dang They were out of production for months, then I checked again on a whim and they were in stock. Seems you just gotta get lucky with timing.

Or pay several hundreds of dollarydoos for real Ropers

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I feel like I'm down to pay for real ropers except I think they are like $500 to a grand or something? Basically like an entire other gun or whatever.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Yeah, I was bidding on a set a while ago and it started quiet enough at $200some and just exploded inside of an hour. Like yeah sure they were super pretty but paying more for grips than the actual gun itself was just oof, no thanks

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah, I was bidding on a set a while ago and it started quiet enough at $200some and just exploded inside of an hour. Like yeah sure they were super pretty but paying more for grips than the actual gun itself was just oof, no thanks

Yeah. I mean, I'm still a newbie, but I've already learned that stocks on revolvers is a very fast way to get into tractor hubcap territory. It reminds me of when I was a teenager, and I knew more than one fellow kid who had a POS car of some kind that had wheels on it that were worth way more than the whole vehicle.

I did get some grips for my 629. Nice, smooth Altamont target grips, BATELEUR® Conversion style, I think. I liked the finger grooves. I was thinking about getting checkered ones, but this is my 44, and I'd rather not have all of those little diamonds fighting each other for little bits of my skin. Dark walnut should look fine. Still have the Sledge Hammer grips, of course, but those are for display mostly. I'm not breaking another set of those.

My kingdom for a much stronger white grip material that I could have laser engraved. I've thought about maybe some really pale wood, but... that's another goofy project for another goofy day. Right now, I need to focus on not buying that old S&W revolver at the gunne shoppe that is chambered in 32 S&W. It's terrible purty, and it comes with a box of ammo... for $500!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

tarlibone posted:

I did get some grips for my 629. Nice, smooth Altamont target grips, BATELEUR® Conversion style, I think. I liked the finger grooves. I was thinking about getting checkered ones, but this is my 44, and I'd rather not have all of those little diamonds fighting each other for little bits of my skin. Dark walnut should look fine. Still have the Sledge Hammer grips, of course, but those are for display mostly. I'm not breaking another set of those.

BATELEUR® grips, smooth, medallions made of 100% pure silver-tone plated material, and is that walnut?

gently caress off. It's SUPER walnut.

It's my Sunday gun.