Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INTERNETRACECAR
May 25, 2005
Rabbit Injected!

BULBASAUR posted:

Just bought one

If you really want one before the next batch (RS says 2 months, so expect 3 or more) there are a couple on ebay. The best way to get one, however, is directly from real sword.

How was the furniture? It looks like its a bit bright from the pictures.

EDIT: ^^^^^^ That looks really good for your first time spray down btw

It's quite glossy but not so much that it detracts from the gun. More importantly, it doesn't give you away when the 200 feet of barrel and handguard are projecting from a bush fifteen feet from someone hunting for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Good to know. I still think I might go for a look along the lines of this

Was the scope the RS version or did they get real steal. Do you know? How was the eye relief?

INTERNETRACECAR
May 25, 2005
Rabbit Injected!

He actually won the non-scoped model, but did some scrounging on ebay and picked a very clean POSP scope for less than the cost of the RS one. There was some discussion over whether or not it'd fit, but it fits perfectly and the eye relief is spot on, at least for me.

GC_ChrisReeves
Dec 16, 2004

"You're going to be...amazing."

So, I am highly considering a Silencer/Tightbore Barrel mod.

I found a bunch of Vanaras 6.03 Tightbores on RSOV along with a 190mm silencer

Now, as standard, my M4 takes 364mm barrels but they are kind of out of stock. What I'm wondering is what the longest barrel I can buy to fit inside the silencer is?

Doing the math, 364mm+190mm = 554mm, so unless I'm missing some compatibility issue here (and I honestly may well be) or there are some length measurements I'm not considering would one of these 509mm tightbores be suitable? Alternatively, could a 550mm barrel fit as well (Out of stock at RSOV at the moment.)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

You can't beat the price, but you get what you pay for. That thing is bascialy a stock inner barrel when it comes to performance(very marginalyl better).

If you can spend an extra $30 why not get one of these instead?

You'll have better performance and won't have to deal with a longer gun.

GC_ChrisReeves
Dec 16, 2004

drat, here's me thinking all of these TBBs are made (somewhat) equal.

Oh well, I'll leave it for a month or so and get one of these instead. Madbull 363mm 6.03, 32 delivered

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

I'm a Prometheus fan myself (its not very much more) but Madbull is solid stuff. Are you looking at doing more than just upping the range and accuracy a bit?

Forti
May 5, 2009

Aliginge posted:

drat, here's me thinking all of these TBBs are made (somewhat) equal.

Oh well, I'll leave it for a month or so and get one of these instead. Madbull 363mm 6.03, 32 delivered

You know my barrel cost me 5, right? :/

And BULBASAUR, if you have any tips on upping range and accuracy even slightly, I'm all ears.

GC_ChrisReeves
Dec 16, 2004

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm a Prometheus fan myself (its not very much more) but Madbull is solid stuff. Are you looking at doing more than just upping the range and accuracy a bit?

I'm not expecting mad-insane real-steel-like accuracy because a lot of the time the BBs just get carried by the wind, but I would like to take what appear to be the the easiest things to upgrade and achieve the most noticable results for the cost.

I dislike random flyer shots more than anything (An issue my old G3 seems to have developed) and I wouldn't mind spending 20-30 eliminating those and in the process, tightening the groupings on my M4 even more.

So how much a difference are we talking here? Would a Madbull make a big difference over a Chinese stock barrel? (Chinese < Element/Vanaras < Marui < Madbull < Prometheus?)

GC_ChrisReeves fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 19, 2009

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Warning, blowhard ahead: I have been airsofting for almost a decade, but for the last 2-3 years I dropped out of the mainstream. During this time many new companies have come out with an explosion of airsoft products. Alas, I am not familiar with most of them from first hand experience.

Aliginge posted:

I'm not expecting mad-insane real-steel-like accuracy because a lot of the time the BBs just get carried by the wind, but I would like to take what appear to be the the easiest things to upgrade and achieve the most noticable results for the cost.

I dislike random flyer shots more than anything (An issue my old G3 seems to have developed) and I wouldn't mind spending 20-30 eliminating those and in the process, tightening the groupings on my M4 even more.

So how much a difference are we talking here? Would a Madbull make a big difference over a Chinese stock barrel? (Chinese < Element/Vanaras < Marui < Madbull < Prometheus?)

Honestly, the best and most economical ways to up your accuracy, tighten your groupings, and shoot further, is to replace your hop up and inner barrel. It really makes a huge difference. You can shoot your gun before and after installation and smile at the results. Precision barrels will up your FPS very slightly (my experience has been 5-15FPS) and your shots will fly straighter, further, and much more consistently (which is much more important than all the other stuff). A hop up replacement will also help with these things, but not as much.

A good precision barrel will cost you between $40-$60 (the longer it is, the more it costs). A hop up replacement will cost you about $8. These are also easy to install. If you are scared of taking your gun apart you won't have to get into the gearbox with these upgrades. In the end, you get what you pay for. The more budget barrels seem to have higher tolerances and so you will get mixed results with them. Spend an extra $30 and you'll have a barrel that will last you forever with guaranteed results.

As for the "random flyer shots", chances are that the ammo you are using is more a culprit than your barrel. Not all bb brands are equal and the heavier the bb the less likely it will be affected by wind.

Forti posted:

And BULBASAUR, if you have any tips on upping range and accuracy even slightly, I'm all ears.

Besides the things I mentioned above, the cheapest ways to up range is getting a bigger spring. This, however, will strain your gearbox more and worsen your ROF. The best thing to do in such situations is to help boost your FPS by all other means. Here are some cheap and effective ones:

-Clean your barrel regularly. Its free and it keeps you shooting at 100%
-Higher voltage battery. If you have a 8.4v, switch to 9.6v or to a 7.4v Lipo. You will see an increase in trigger response, range (+ 5-15 FPS), and ROF. Don't go any higher unless you know what you are doing.
-Tight seal nozzle. These things run about $6-$10 and reduce the amount of air that escapes from your gearbox before it pushes your bb. There is a slight boost in range and consistency. Requires an opening of the gearbox.
-New cylinder/piston head or cylinder. Cost about $10-$15 each and basically do the same thing as above. Piston heads with bearings also reduce FPS loss due to spring twisting and act like a spacer for your spring. Must open gearbox.
-Spring guide with bearings. These are a tiny bit longer than a standard spring guide and act like a spacer (compressing your spring a tiny bit more and giving you something like 5-10 extra FPS as a result) and reduce FPS loss from the twisting of the spring. Again, you must open your gearbox.
-Do all of the above with a full tune up kit (FTK). Unless you are using Tokyo Marui your gears and piton don't require any replacement. Again, you get what you pay for. Expect to pay $50-$60 and have to take the entire gearbox apart.

Your guide to buying a precision barrel
There are a lot of companies out there with a number of different dimensions. I'll try to point you in the right direction.

First, if you are shooting stock or below/around 1J (so <325ps) you will want to get a "Tanio-Koba Hop Twist Barrel". These help guns at lower FPS dramatically, but are useless for at a higher FPS. Why? The barrel has reverse rifling. This means that the air around the projectile is spun instead of the projectile. An air cushion is created which reduces friction and gives higher accuracy. At a higher FPS the opposite occurs. If you are shooting >325FPS then go with a precision barrel without "Hop Twist".

There are lots of manufacturers that make barrels and the ones known to be worth their salt are: Systema, Prometheus, PDI, Laylax, Firefly, and Deep Fire. Madbull and Classic Army are newcomers and naturally have mixed reviews. I have no experience with Madbull, but Classic Army seemed to be on par with a equal diameter Systema. Again, you get what you pay for.

Contrary to popular belief, precision barrels don't make your guns jam. Using terrible bbs and never cleaning your barrel will. This said, there are a number of different inner diameters for these barrels. Most commonly: 6.01, 6.03, 6.04, 6.05, and 6.08mm. In general the tighter the barrel the better it performs... to a point. Around 6.03-6.04mm things get complicated. Systema, on their website, says that it won't make anything tighter than 6.04mm because it starts to have negative effects. Indeed you will find many mixed comparisons between 6.01, 6.02, 6.03, and 6.04mm barrels. I have been convinced by a number of case studies that ~6.03-6.04mm have the best results and won't go tighter.

In the end its up to you. Just be aware that beyond 6.04 things get debatable and getting a brand with mixed reviews might get you a 6.02mm or 6.08mm barrel instead of the advertised 6.04mm.

Your guide to buying 'hop up'
If a brand is known for making good precision barrels, they are usually respected for their hop up rubber. You can also add Angel, 9ball, and G&P to the list. There are three kinds of hop up, hard, soft, and super soft (these are often quantified with numbers, but who cares). You want super soft hop for guns shooting stock to about 320 fps, soft for 320-400fps, and the hard stuff for things shooting higher than that. Why? Faster bbs will wear the softer hopup more. Harder hop grips the bb less and gives it less spin (which is good at long ranges).

Sorry this turned out so long, I hope it helps you guys.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any.

Didn't see it in there, but everybody, and I mean everybody should buy a MOSFET, preferably with active braking. They're great on everything from stock guns to something sitting at 500fps.

Seriously.

GC_ChrisReeves
Dec 16, 2004

Big thanks for the help Bulbasaur. That's some info worthy of going in the OP.

So with regards to hop-ups, you mentioned Deep Fire, so would this be all I need to get to upgrade my hop-up or do I need to replace the whole hop up chamber or something?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

You don't need to replace any part of the chamber. Hop up comes in two parts- the bucking and the little nub (that I don't know the name of). You need both.

Bucking is on the left, nub is on the right.

Baba The Ox
Feb 7, 2004

Don't be so hard on yourself, Fry. You lost the woman of your dreams, but you still have Zoidberg. You all still have Zoidberg!

Does anyone have any idea how well something like this would attach to a CA rifle (CA25 URX to be exact - the stubby one)?
http://www.ebairsoft.com/battery-crane-stock-black-pri-70.html?reviews_id=241

The crane stock that comes on that thing is the work of Satan himself, and I'm not a huge fan of having big battery bags hang out on my rifle.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Hypnolobster posted:

Didn't see it in there, but everybody, and I mean everybody should buy a MOSFET, preferably with active braking.

The Trigger Master MOSFET has a Goon Discount!

http://unconventional-airsoft.com/goondiscount.php

Baba The Ox
Feb 7, 2004

Don't be so hard on yourself, Fry. You lost the woman of your dreams, but you still have Zoidberg. You all still have Zoidberg!

Communist Sine Wave posted:

The Trigger Master MOSFET has a Goon Discount!

http://unconventional-airsoft.com/goondiscount.php

How difficult is one of these to install, with basic electronics work experience? What's the process?

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Plant your brassicas in may and cover them in mulch.

This page seems to carry the details of the MOSFET itself.
http://unconventional-airsoft.com/store/

Looks really simple to install, and is quite tempting. Does any one have any more resources on the benefits and advantages of MOSFETs over regular crappy AEG trigger blocks?
I've read a lot of non-specific comments, but not seen anything specific or detailed enough to make me poo poo my pants and spend the 40+.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

I have one in my P90 but I couldn't really tell you more than the specs. I haven't seen any consensus other than that they are generally better. The biggest positives are meant to be the general increase in ROF and technically better motor and electrical system control. The gain to motor/gearbox wear from active braking is debatable.

I'm still waiting for them to break into stock models, it's probably avoided due to the cost.

A much cheaper, simpler mosfet that is also meant to be very good: http://infectedairsoft.wordpress.com/item-for-sale/mosfet-w-active-breaking-circuit/

Carecat fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 20, 2009

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

One armed with basic electronics understanding and skill (i.e. can solder something without it looking like it was done with a hot rock, and avoid shorts) should be able to pull it off without too much trouble. You will need to open up your gun and muck with the insides and put it back together, so make sure you can do that. It does require tech-work to install, it's not quite drop-in. But it's well within the scope of any competent gun tech.

In basic electronics terms generally speaking Version 3 gearboxes and others like it are most simple since the necessary (re)wiring can be done without cracking open the gearbox (the trigger assembly contacts/terminals are accessible from the gearbox's exterior). Version 2 requires opening the gearbox to get to the trigger assembly contacts. Installation into guns with other types of gearboxes are just variations on those two basic themes.

EDIT: There is a difference between plain-jane MOSFET switches (just a more efficient means of turning the motor on and off) and computerized MOSFET switches, which have bells and whistles. Installation/wiring is the same process for both though.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 20, 2009

Baba The Ox
Feb 7, 2004

Communist Sine Wave posted:

Version 2 requires opening the gearbox to get to the trigger assembly contacts. Installation into guns with other types of gearboxes are just variations on those two basic themes.

The CA SCAR-L I wanted to put this in is Version II. I'm not fond of the idea of ripping my gearbox open, but I still really like the idea of the computerized MOSFET.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

What did the mailman bring to me today? Oh... that's right, EMS is really fast.

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

More!

Also, with an AEG SVD do you still have the wind-up to contend with?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

v1nce posted:

More!

Also, with an AEG SVD do you still have the wind-up to contend with?

Like wind up magazines? No, the are all ~96rnd midcaps. It really is a very fine rifle... I am very impressed (and I don't get impressed often). Its everything that I hoped it would be and then some. The thing just oozes class and quality. I'll have a review of it done for Arnies within a week or so (I need to run some tests and see how it works), but I'll get some pictures.

Its hard to describe what it feels like holding it... except that when you pick up another airsoft gun, full metal or not, it just feels like a toy compared to it

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

BULBASAUR posted:

BARRELS

So they finally made airsoft barrels with a form of rifling eh? How well does it work? Are lower power guns with a hop twist barrel more accurate than higher powered ones with a smooth bore? When running a hop twist barrel do you run your hop up turned off? If I was running a stock JG clone of a TM ak, even though I think those are a bit over 325 would I be fine? The idea of an airsoft gun running proper rifling really appeals to me. I'd probably be sticking it in a stock CYMA 028S.

Wheres a good retailer for the hop twist barrels?

On a side note, I wish I could find a Skorpion AEP in Canada, especially a clone model.

Pretty Little Rainbow fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 21, 2009

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

BULBASAUR posted:

Like wind up magazines

No no, I mean like where you pull the trigger and the mechanism has to wind up before the shot is fired, unlike springer sniper rifles or gas powered ones.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

So they finally made airsoft barrels with a form of rifling eh? How well does it work? Are lower power guns with a hop twist barrel more accurate than higher powered ones with a smooth bore? When running a hop twist barrel do you run your hop up turned off? If I was running a stock JG clone of a TM ak, even though I think those are a bit over 325 would I be fine? The idea of an airsoft gun running proper rifling really appeals to me. I'd probably be sticking it in a stock CYMA 028S.

On a side note, I wish I could find a Skorpion AEP in Canada, especially a clone model.

Rifling on airsoft barrels are worthless. In real guns, the bullet expands enough to catch all the grooves, a bb does not. A tightbore is as good as your going to get.

Baba The Ox
Feb 7, 2004

After checking it out with Lincoln's Wax... Goons, show us your (faux) firearms!

I'll start off with my collection, sans clips and gear:

Top to bottom:
1) CA25 URX
2) CA SCAR-L
3) UTG M14
4) ECHO-1 MP5K
5) CA33E

Show us what you got.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

^^^^^^
We should post gun pics at the top of each page. I'll take some photos later today. My SVD is in pieces (I guess my first instinct with a new gun is to take it apart).

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

The "Tanio-Koba Hop Twist Barrel" has been around for a while. They work very well at an FPS <325 or so. The barrel has reverse rifling, but unlike a real gun it doesn't actually touch the bb. Instead a cushion of air is formed around the projectile. This air cushion reduces friction, bouncing, and gives higher accuracy. As the FPS gets higher the air goes too fast around the BB and the cushion effect is negated. At these times you just want a regular straight barrel.

If you are shooting around stock to about 325 then get one. They work better than a regular tight bore at those speeds. Otherwise just stick with a regular one. If you are sitting on the fence then get the regular barrel because chances are you are going to upgrade anyway. Live in the UK or only play CQB? Then get a Tanio-Koba.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 21, 2009

GC_ChrisReeves
Dec 16, 2004

Why hello there.

Needs zeroing and I'm out of BBs. :/

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sup guys. Lets play some airsoft

kersonan
Feb 11, 2007

My pile

Top to bottom

Well Warrior 1 L96 - my first air soft toy
Jing Gong G36KE - the scope was unusable with my mask so go go eotech
Tokyo Marui P90RD - the first one to get externally modded.
AGM M4 GBB + M203 - brought on a whim and not regretted, now has aimpoint 3x and Eotech 552
Benelli M4 clone - a cunningly disguised arm work-out

Not shown WE Hicapa 5.1 - for close encounters.

Baba The Ox
Feb 7, 2004

BULBASAUR posted:

Sup guys. Lets play some airsoft

I respect any man that can pull off the WWII era helmet.

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005

JG G3
Classic Army m16
UTG mp5

CloFan
Nov 5, 2004

Kastway airsoft is diong a deal-a-day thing, similar to Woot! and others.

http://tacticaltrunkmonkey.com/

They've had some good deals so far, including a CA Scar-L for $100. I'm not sure what time they update, though.. It's sometime in the middle of the day.

SLoW
Nov 14, 2006

You're a ducky!

I recently just bought a used HFC M9 GBB pistol and I'm having a bit of trouble with it.

If I just pull the trigger over and over, about half the shots fire, the other half are just dry fires. If I pull the slide back and pull the trigger though, it fires almost every time, but after a little bit of that, the hammer sticks back for really no apparent reason and when I pull the trigger, it dry fires.

My question(s) is:

1. What do you think is causing this (is it just dirty and in need of a cleaning)?
2. If it is just dirty, what's the best way to clean one?

Thanks in advance!

kersonan
Feb 11, 2007

SLoW posted:

I recently just bought a used HFC M9 GBB pistol and I'm having a bit of trouble with it.

If I just pull the trigger over and over, about half the shots fire, the other half are just dry fires. If I pull the slide back and pull the trigger though, it fires almost every time, but after a little bit of that, the hammer sticks back for really no apparent reason and when I pull the trigger, it dry fires.

My question(s) is:

1. What do you think is causing this (is it just dirty and in need of a cleaning)?
2. If it is just dirty, what's the best way to clean one?

Thanks in advance!

Armed with some spray silicone, and a rag or two, tear it down and give it a good clean out. I've had similar things happen with my GBB Hicapa and all it wanted was some lovin.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Carecat fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 30, 2009

Baba The Ox
Feb 7, 2004

Dudes... do the hard part for me.

Should I put a 590mm tightbore (with barrel extension of course) on my CA25 URX, or should I just spring for one of these? Trinity does pretty decent work with installing tightbores, so I'd just let them go ahead and throw one in when I buy it.

Real wood, full metal, pre-upgraded for $210 American is kind of hard to beat, but I've stayed away from ECHO-1 for a while. Maybe that was unfounded.

EDIT: Also, Carecat, that M79 is gorgeous.

Baba The Ox fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 23, 2009

GC_ChrisReeves
Dec 16, 2004

Baba The Ox posted:

Dudes... do the hard part for me.

Should I put a 590mm tightbore (with barrel extension of course) on my CA25 URX, or should I just spring for one of these?

I'd say go and upgrade the URX, it looks loving beastly now so with a barrel extension and the accuracy to back up the looks....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Worst
Feb 25, 2006

death from above

What kind of reticule does that G&P Acog have? All the cheaper clones have that really bad reticule and horrible eye relief, so I just got a G&P Aimpoint.

Here's my boring M4, I spent a whole day upgrading the spring and the inner barrel/hop up (sounds simple but not when you've never touched a gearbox before), and I still haven't used it once. There's only one airsoft field in the NYC area which sucks.

• Locked thread