Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Another question for you guys, as far as cat treats go, I assume it's sort of like their food. Are any types or brands of treats significantly better for the cat than others? I've got a bag of Friskies Party Mix right now, which is full of corn and meal by-product and other crap, but it was free, and Lucifer loves it. After the bag is gone, I'd like to get him something that isn't like a bunch of Snickers bars.

Also, catnip is generally not mentioned in the cat FAQs. I've known one cat that would run into another room whenever you opened it up, and I've known cats that would eat an entire bag in one go if left to their own devices. How much is too much?

Edit: Here is Lucifer on the Ugly Purple Chair. I just bought a POS camera, still getting used to it, I'll give you a few more pics as I get comfortable with it.

Corsair Pool Boy fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 5, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Feral_Shofixti posted:

Also, catnip is generally not mentioned in the cat FAQs. I've known one cat that would run into another room whenever you opened it up, and I've known cats that would eat an entire bag in one go if left to their own devices. How much is too much?

With good quality nip, just a little bit is a sufficient dose. About a teaspoonful will usually do the trick. Also, cats do not need to eat nip to get off, since they get their fun via olfactory input.

Most cats will self-regulate with catnip. They'll eat some or roll in it until they're happy and then walk away. I'd guess that there are some that just don't know when to quit, though I haven't met one yet.

About 30% or so of all cats are unaffected by catnip. Young kittens usually don't respond to catnip until they hit kitty puberty, and elderly cats sometimes lose interest in it.

dee eight fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 7, 2023

Paul E. Waug
Feb 18, 2007

d8 posted:

With good quality nip, just a little bit is a sufficient dose. About a teaspoonful will usually do the trick. Also, cats do not need to eat nip to get off, since they get their fun via olfactory input.

Most cats will self-regulate with catnip. They'll eat some or roll in it until they're happy and then walk away. I'd guess that there are some that just don't know when to quit, though I haven't met one yet.

About 10% or so of all cats are unaffected by catnip. Young kittens usually don't respond to catnip until they hit kitty puberty, and elderly cats sometimes lose interest in it.

I have a 18 year old cat that LOVES Montana catnip and only Montana catnip. Any other and she turns her nose up at it.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Paul E. Waug posted:

I have a 18 year old cat that LOVES Montana catnip and only Montana catnip. Any other and she turns her nose up at it.

And just in case it wasn't made clear, d8 sells Montanta Catnip in the SA-Mart, and it is drat good stuff. Makes my cats all rolly and hissy at each other.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

d8 posted:

One of my cats doesn't understand self regulation.

I came home one day to find he had opened a drawer, pulled out 2-3 packs of catnip, opened them all, strewn them everywhere and rolled/licked/played in them.

He was still blissfully laying in a pile, guarding it from the other cats and occasionally taking a mouthful when I got home from work. Judging from the behaviour of the other cats, I'd say that catnip had been out of the drawer for quite a while, yet Nesquik was still protective of it and had clearly gorged on it (and tried to stop me from cleaning it up).

He didn't suffer any ill effects though!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

d8 posted:

About 10% or so of all cats are unaffected by catnip. Young kittens usually don't respond to catnip until they hit kitty puberty, and elderly cats sometimes lose interest in it.

d8, if you wanted to write up a little piece on what catnip is, how it works and how/when to use it, I'd be more than happy to add it to the OP. :)

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Fire In The Disco posted:

d8, if you wanted to write up a little piece on what catnip is, how it works and how/when to use it, I'd be more than happy to add it to the OP. :)

Sure. I'll try to get something together later tonight or tomorrow.

edit: here ya go. Feel free to edit as you need to, and let me know if you have any questions/clarification.

Catnip (nepeta cataria) is an herb in the mint family. It has a square-ish stem and lobate leaves that grow in pairs, one on each side of the stem. It grows to about 3 or 4 feet tall and ranges in color from a pale green to dark grayish green. Generally, the darker the leaves, the more potent the nip. The buds and flowers are the most potent part of the plant, though all parts including the stems are enjoyed by cats. Catnip flowers vary from white to blue to a light purple. (The flowers are cool, they look a lot like miniature orchids.)

Catnip grows well in a wide variety of geographic regions and climatic conditions, though the best nip grows where days are hot and nights are cool and rain is relatively light.

The stuff in catnip that makes cats crazy is a naturally occurring compound called nepetalactone. The compound most likely acts as an endorphin stimulator, so cats don't get 'high' so much as they get very happy. Cats get their buzz via olfactory input, so it is not necessary for them to eat it, though many cats do. A catnip stuffed toy will provide the same enjoyment for a cat as a bit of leaf to nibble.

About 30% of all cats lack the catnip gene and are unaffected by it. Some estimates of the number non-reacting cats range up to 50%, but that seems a bit high in my personal experience. There is quite probably to be a link to sexual maturity and catnip reaction, so kittens generally don't react to it until they're about 6 months old or so. Senior citizen cats will sometimes lose interest also. Also, if your cat doesn't react to nip, try silvervine.

Tangentally, on the subject of cat years/human years, one scale I found says the first year of a cat's life equals about 15 human years, the second equals about 9 years, and each subsequent year equals 4 human years.

Cats enjoy fresh or dried catnip, though properly dried catnip seems to concentrate the nepetalactone and provide a bit more kick. Give your cat a large pinch (about a teaspoonful) on the floor, or sprikle it on a cat tree or scratching post, or serve it up in a paper grocery bag or box for added entertainment. The effects (purring, drooling, rolling, getting goofy) of catnip last for half an hour or so, sometimes longer depending on the individual cat.

Humans can also enjoy catnip as tea. It has some mild medicinal properties and has been used to treat nervous insomnia, indigestion, and in a very weak tea to treat colic in infants.

dee eight fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 3, 2023

Yisan
Jul 29, 2003

Strike First...
Strike Hard...
SHOW NO MERCY
Just a heads up since I didn't see this posted here in this thread, there are coupons for anyone who is looking for Cat Trees and Beds from Armarkat.com which give you 10% off and free shipping. I will post them for your kitty pleasure!

TJSDCPTEN

esycdy

Enjoy!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

d8 posted:

Sure. I'll try to get something together later tonight or tomorrow.

edit: here ya go. Feel free to edit as you need to, and let me know if you have any questions/clarification.

Catnip (nepeta cataria) is an herb in the mint family. It has a square-ish stem and lobate leaves that grow in pairs, one on each side of the stem. It grows to about 3 or 4 feet tall and ranges in color from a pale green to dark grayish green. Generally, the darker the leaves, the more potent the nip. The buds and flowers are the most potent part of the plant, though all parts including the stems are enjoyed by cats. Catnip flowers vary from white to blue to a light purple. (The flowers are cool, they look a lot like miniture orchids.)

Catnip grows well in a wide variety of geopraphic regions and climatic conditions, though the best nip grows where days are hot and nights are cool and rain is relatively light.

The stuff in catnip that makes cats crazy is a naturally occurring compound called nepatalactone. The compound most likely acts as an endorphin stimulator, so cats don't get 'high' so much as they get very happy. Cats get their buzz via olfactory input, so it is not necessary for them to eat it, though many cats do. A catnip stuffed toy will provide the same enjoyment for a cat as a bit of leaf to nibble.

About 10% of all cats lack the catnip gene and are unaffected by it. Some estimates of the number non-reacting cats range up to 20%, but that seems a bit high in my personal experience. There is quite probably to be a link to sexual maturity and catnip reaction, so kittens generally don't react to it until they're about 6 months old or so. Senior citizen cats will sometimes lose interest also.

Tangentally, on the subject of cat years/human years, one scale I found says the first year of a cat's life equals about 15 human years, the second equals about 9 years, and each subsequent year equals 4 human years.

Cats enjoy fresh or dried catnip, though properly dried catnip seems to concentrate the nepatalactone and provide a bit more kick. Give your cat a large pinch (about a teaspoonful) on the floor, or sprikle it on a cat tree or scratching post, or serve it up in a paper grocery bag or box for added entertainment. The effects (purring, drooling, rolling, getting goofy) of catnip last for half an hour or so, sometimes longer depending on the individual cat.

Humans can also enjoy catnip as tea. It has some mild medicinal properties and has been used to treat nervous insomnia, indigestion, and in a very weak tea to treat colic in infants.

Sweet, thanks! It's now in part two of the OP. :)

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

My kitten is stupid when it comes to the litter box. He always reaches way too far and too high and therefore scratches the side of the box rather than the litter. He of course scratches incessantly for like 5 minutes at a time since digging at plastic doesn't do the job. I am using one of those big Rubbermaid tubs with a hole cut into the side. I upgraded them to a really big one (footprint is probably 2.5 feet by 1.5 feet) to see if that helped and it only has a little bit. Now he actually hits litter a tiny percentage of the time rather than never. I'm not sure what would help besides a swimming pool-size box and the little 'tard would probably still find the sides. His brother has no trouble burying his poo poo and ends up burying stupid cat's poo poo too, usually. How can I teach my durfy kitten to bury properly?

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

HondaCivet posted:

My kitten is stupid when it comes to the litter box. He always reaches way too far and too high and therefore scratches the side of the box rather than the litter. He of course scratches incessantly for like 5 minutes at a time since digging at plastic doesn't do the job. I am using one of those big Rubbermaid tubs with a hole cut into the side. I upgraded them to a really big one (footprint is probably 2.5 feet by 1.5 feet) to see if that helped and it only has a little bit. Now he actually hits litter a tiny percentage of the time rather than never. I'm not sure what would help besides a swimming pool-size box and the little 'tard would probably still find the sides. His brother has no trouble burying his poo poo and ends up burying stupid cat's poo poo too, usually. How can I teach my durfy kitten to bury properly?

Try picking him up and putting him in the litter box. He doesn't have to be peeing/pooping. Then, grab his front paws (one in each hand) and dig into the litter with them. This is how I potty train all of my kitties. His digging instincts should take over from there, and hopefully digging in the litter will show him where exactly to dig. Other than that, maybe try a different litter? He may just not like the kind you have.

Yisan
Jul 29, 2003

Strike First...
Strike Hard...
SHOW NO MERCY
So I ordered this Cat Tree from Armarkat!

http://www.armarkat.com/classic-cat-tree/classic-cat-tree-a5801/prod_15.html

Anyone have this one? Good/Bad Feedback?

Our kittens are coming on Tuesday! Will post pictures of the little shits when they get home!

Hady
Jun 28, 2008

HondaCivet posted:

Some cats just don't learn. One of the cats I had when I was a kid would poop, then scratch the sides of the washing machine that was next to the litter box, scratch the laundry room floor, then leave. He never seemed to understand that he wasn't covering anything in the box. Usually the other cat would go in and cover up for him later.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
So I've always wanted to get a cat but my parents wouldn't allow it and now I'm settling into a condo and thinking of getting one. I'm in my last year of Pharmacy so I'll be out of the place at least 4-6 hours a day for half a year and then basically doing a work term for the next half so I've been thinking about a 1-2 year old cat who can basically take care of him/herself while I'm out.

Then I read that two cats are better than one because then they can occupy themselves all day with each other and I get confused all over again. It seems quite a jump to go from having zero cats to two all of a sudden, especially with no cat owning experience!

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
I went from 0 cats to two and it was fine. When I went to the rescue I had my mind open, if I found a bonded pair that I liked that was cool but if I found a cat that was surrendered because it couldn't get along with other animals that would have been fine by me also.
If you think you might want to get another kitty later to entertain a single cat it is more difficult to introduce them, also it might keep cats that can only be adopted as a set from getting a home.
A lot of peoples response to any kitty question is "You need another cat!" that is not always the case imho, but it does make wearing the kitty out a hell of a lot easier and keeps them company while you are at work.
If you are worried about the work involved there really isn't any, if you are doing the right things (cat proofing, scooping,vet visits)for 1 cat you will find it doesn't take any extra effort to do it for 2 (that get along)

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Going from 0-2 cats is great, because you always have a part-time babysitter on hand. It truly is less work, for a little more $$ and a lot more enjoyment. It is best to get 2 young kittens/cats, or a pair of older bonded cats. If you get a single now thinking you might get a playmate at a later date, you may never find a cat combo that gets along with each other.

However, if you are convinced you only want 1 cat, this is OK too, especially if you start out with a grown-up cat. Many cats want to be a solo cat in adulthood. There is nothing wrong with this, it just limits your future options, and you are committed to be the cat's sole playmate forever.

Number 169
Feb 25, 2007

Let's see if I can guess your function.
Does anyone know where to get quality catnip in NZ? I'd be buying from d8 except that shipping costs from the US are pretty ridiculous. I've only found catnip so far in toys, and I find the catnip loses its potency fast and the cat hides/loses the toys under the fridge/shelves/my desk/the bed/the sofa/etc. nearly as fast.

E: Thanks :)

Number 169 fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 8, 2009

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

My cats love "kookamunga", but can't find anywhere in NZ selling it online :3:

Found this though: http://www.cyberpets.co.nz/catalog/Cats-(11)/Toys-and-Treats-(43)/Pure-Catnip--NZ-grown-(1238).html

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Number 169 posted:

Does anyone know where to get quality catnip in NZ? I'd be buying from d8 except that shipping costs from the US are pretty ridiculous. I've only found catnip so far in toys, and I find the catnip loses its potency fast and the cat hides/loses the toys under the fridge/shelves/my desk/the bed/the sofa/etc. nearly as fast.

I try to avoid any semblance of commerce in PI, so as not to piss off the mods, but I'll take a chance here. USPS says postage for a couple bags to NZ would be $4.60

edit: Take any sales/shipping questions to my SAmart thread please
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3153407

dee eight fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 7, 2009

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

One of my kittens doesn't seem to be able to meow, or maybe he simply doesn't know how. He opens his mouth when he looks at me, and it's always at a time where you'd expect him to meow, but there are no meows coming out of his mouth. He just stands there with his mouth open. And he's not a mute either, he can purr and chirp and all that, just no meows.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
Gizm, my mother used to have a cat like that. She would open her mouth and make a little squeak noise instead of a meow. The vet just shrugged and said "That's what her meow sounds like".

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

giZm posted:

One of my kittens doesn't seem to be able to meow, or maybe he simply doesn't know how. He opens his mouth when he looks at me, and it's always at a time where you'd expect him to meow, but there are no meows coming out of his mouth. He just stands there with his mouth open. And he's not a mute either, he can purr and chirp and all that, just no meows.

We had a cat who didn't meow-- or rather, would air meow-- for the first year or so of his life. Then suddenly, one day, it was like something broke in him and a noise similar to the bleating of a baby goat came out. He continued to do a goat-meow for the rest of his life.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
So I'm looking to adopt a pair of kittens for the first time ever. :3: My mom was always critically allergic to anything warm and adorable, which was incredibly frustrating because I'm not. Now that I've settled into my new place and I'm in a good financial position to keep a pet, I think it's high time I have a couple of kittens roaming about.

My question is this: I have a few choices as far as adopting goes. I could go to the city animal shelter, or a privately-run no-kill shelter. Would either one be any better than the other? If I can't go wrong with either, I'm gonna start looking in the private place because it's closer to my apartment.

Also, I really have no idea how to go about finding a good vet. I assume the shelters will be able to point me in the right direction?

The vet thing is the only part I'm worried about. I've been studying and researching my rear end off since I moved here, but a finding good vet is the one thing I'm a little worried about. My mom's been joking that you'd think I'm getting ready for a kid.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

OatmealRaisin posted:

My question is this: I have a few choices as far as adopting goes. I could go to the city animal shelter, or a privately-run no-kill shelter. Would either one be any better than the other?

Splitting ethical/moral hairs here maybe, but the cats you don't adopt from the city shelter might be euthed. The cats you don't adopt from the no-kill shelter won't be.

OatmealRaisin posted:

Also, I really have no idea how to go about finding a good vet. I assume the shelters will be able to point me in the right direction?

:v: Call every vet in town and ask them who is the second best vet in town. Go with the vet with the most 2nd place votes. :v:

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

d8 posted:

Splitting ethical/moral hairs here maybe, but the cats you don't adopt from the city shelter might be euthed. The cats you don't adopt from the no-kill shelter won't be.

OTOH if no one adopts from the no kill there are no spots for new cats and those go to the pound and get killed.

Pounds and no kills are different in different areas, my local no kill keeps great notes on the cats personalities and work very hard to match an owner with the right animal. There are probably city shelters who do the same.

Hady
Jun 28, 2008

OatmealRaisin posted:

Depending on the shelter, some will give you a list of local vets with your paperwork. Also ask any friends/coworkers which vet they go to. Sometimes you can google your city and "vet review" for reviews - I did this when I lived in New Orleans.

Yisan
Jul 29, 2003

Strike First...
Strike Hard...
SHOW NO MERCY
So we finally got the kittens! One brother and sister, and they are about 12 weeks old. My question is that the male actually will go up to the female and start suckling on her fur. I know that this has to do with an early wean from the mother, but is it something that the kitten will grow out of or something that needs to be trained out of the cat (ie water bottle, etc.)

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Does it bother the female? If it doesn't I would just let him be and see if it grows out of it, it can be a comfort thing, a few cats will do it forever. (this is my opinion of course)

Congrats on the new bundles of fur!

Yisan
Jul 29, 2003

Strike First...
Strike Hard...
SHOW NO MERCY

ChairmanMeow posted:

Does it bother the female? If it doesn't I would just let him be and see if it grows out of it, it can be a comfort thing, a few cats will do it forever. (this is my opinion of course)

Congrats on the new bundles of fur!

Doesn't seem to bother her! That's what I figured, but I will keep tabs on it and see! Thanks!

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

I've been thinking about adopting an older cat as a companion to my cat who is about 8 years old. I think she would be jealous and hate me if I brought a kitten home, but that's my human brain thinking so I don't know. I just feel bad because I'm working more now and she is alone most of the day. Anyone else have experience introducing a new (not younger) cat into a house with an older cat who is used to living in a 1 cat household?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Well, after 48 hours of having him, I've lost my kitty.

I recently adopted a one year old cat from a friend who is moving. Aside from the initial jitters of moving, he seemed to be doing great. He's totally chill and was adapting just fine to his new surroundings.

After I got out of class this morning I was totally exhausted and dropped my fully loaded backpack the first place I could, which incidentally happened to be right on his tail. He skittered off to hide in the bathroom and was obviously pretty pissed at me. I figured he would cool down in a bit, but he hadn't made an appearance by the time for my next class. I checked the bathroom, but no dice, maybe he had found another place to sulk. I left some canned food out as a peace offering, but when I got back from my afternoon class it was untouched. Now that I've had some time to search around for him, I'm starting to get worried. I have seriously searched every place a little cat body could fit in my relatively small house and haven't seen a trace of him. I'm 99% sure he couldn't have gotten out, as all the doors and windows have been locked since it happened, and unless there's some sort of hole that I don't know about, he's still in here somewhere.

I guess what I'm asking is are there any unusual places you've found your cats before, and how long does it usually take for them to come off being upset? This is my first cat, and having always had dogs before, I'm used to them yelping when accidents happen and then pouting for a few minutes. It's been about six hours since the incident and I really want to find him to show him I didn't mean anything by it.

Sorry this is a novel-length post, but I kinda feel like a new mother freaking out about her baby.

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

This is some serious argy-bargy!

Lester Shy posted:

I guess what I'm asking is are there any unusual places you've found your cats before, and how long does it usually take for them to come off being upset?

One of my (indoor only) cats goes behind the furnace when something freaks him out. The first time he did it, he was there for a couple of hours and I was really starting to worry that he had gotten out somehow. Cats can make themselves fit in some pretty small spaces when they really want to, so check behind furniture, fixtures, etc.

I hope he reappears soon. I know how nerve wracking it is when they pull a disappearing act.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Turns out he was under my bathroom sink in an area which I would have sworn was covered with wood paneling when I moved in. Took him a while to come out but now he's chillin' right next to me. Aside from the incident this morning, he seems to be adjusting pretty well to his new house, especially considering he came from a house with four cats. One strange thing I've noticed is that he doesn't really have any interest in playing with any sort of toys. I can't seem to dig up my old laser pointer, but an assorted number of boxes, paper bags, things on strings and other odds and ends have all failed to grab his attention, which seems pretty weird since he's just over a year old and came from a pretty active household. But hey, maybe he's just super chill.

Edit: Sorry I am full of questions today. When I first got Vikram from my friend, he said that he's been raised as a semi-outdoor cat, meaning that he would spend most of the day outside and then be let in at night. This might be part of the reason why normal indoor toys are boring to him. I want him to be happy, but I'm very hesitant about letting him outside. This is a much worse neighborhood than where he's originally from, with lots of stray dogs/cats and way more traffic. Should I just let him be bored with the indoors for the sake of his safety, or has he become sort of "wise" to the outdoor experience from being raised that way?

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 9, 2009

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

I've been thinking about adopting an older cat as a companion to my cat who is about 8 years old. I think she would be jealous and hate me if I brought a kitten home, but that's my human brain thinking so I don't know. I just feel bad because I'm working more now and she is alone most of the day. Anyone else have experience introducing a new (not younger) cat into a house with an older cat who is used to living in a 1 cat household?

Does your cat act clingy or desperate for attention when you get home? If so it is a good sign she might appreciate someone to play with during the day. Since she's never lived with other cats before (right?) you don't know how she'll react though... I have experiences of cat intros that have gone both well and hate-forever badly, so I can't really advise you on what to do: the most important factor is your cat's personality.

It's always worth a try :D It will go slower with two adult cats than with a kitten because they're a little more concerned about dominance (kittens are mostly concerned with running around and playing)

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Lester Shy posted:

Turns out he was under my bathroom sink in an area which I would have sworn was covered with wood paneling when I moved in. Took him a while to come out but now he's chillin' right next to me. Aside from the incident this morning, he seems to be adjusting pretty well to his new house, especially considering he came from a house with four cats. One strange thing I've noticed is that he doesn't really have any interest in playing with any sort of toys. I can't seem to dig up my old laser pointer, but an assorted number of boxes, paper bags, things on strings and other odds and ends have all failed to grab his attention, which seems pretty weird since he's just over a year old and came from a pretty active household. But hey, maybe he's just super chill.

Edit: Sorry I am full of questions today. When I first got Vikram from my friend, he said that he's been raised as a semi-outdoor cat, meaning that he would spend most of the day outside and then be let in at night. This might be part of the reason why normal indoor toys are boring to him. I want him to be happy, but I'm very hesitant about letting him outside. This is a much worse neighborhood than where he's originally from, with lots of stray dogs/cats and way more traffic. Should I just let him be bored with the indoors for the sake of his safety, or has he become sort of "wise" to the outdoor experience from being raised that way?

The whole indoor/outdoor thing usually causes a ruckus in here but from my own experience you can keep a cat entertained inside if you try different stuff to see what he likes. Laser pointers usually work great when you can find yours. My old cat tends not to like any cat toy I have paid money for but will go nuts for pen caps. The new kid likes foam balls. Just keep trying different things and you'll probably find something that amuses him. Also cats like vertical space so try to give him stuff to climb up and sit on; that will make his indoor kingdom more appealing.

Cats outside can get hit by cars, beat up by other cats, attacked by raccoons or whatever, poisoned by stuff they shouldn't eat, and can be a nuisance to your neighbours. My cats are indoor kitties and they don't seem to be suffering.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

exactduckwoman posted:

(kittens are mostly concerned with running around and playing)

Its also kind of refreshing to see kitten antics annoy other cats as much as people.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

We had a cat who didn't meow-- or rather, would air meow-- for the first year or so of his life. Then suddenly, one day, it was like something broke in him and a noise similar to the bleating of a baby goat came out. He continued to do a goat-meow for the rest of his life.

This is completely adorable. My cat didn't purr for the first 2 1/2 years of his life, and one day he finally figured it out and didn't stop purring for like a month solid.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Ok, so me and the wife are making the leap into owning pets. We're heading over to a vet we did research on and came highly recommended by family members as well. We plan on adopting a pair of bonded cats, preferably about a year old. I have a list of questions for the vet (treatment schedules, vaccinations, etc.) and after reading the links understand the importance of fixing the cats and will in no way even entertain the thought of declawing. My question to you fellas is if my shopping list is looking good for what I plan on picking up on the way home. I know its petsmart, but its the only store near by.

Litter:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751594&lmdn=Cat
(have a tupperware litterbox already prepared for the little things.)

Litter Mat:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755268&lmdn=Cat

Litter Scooper:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755435&lmdn=Cat

Food:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750282&lmdn=Cat

Bed:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3077182&lmdn=Cat

Scratching Toy:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754331&lmdn=Cat

Grooming Brush:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750594&lmdn=Cat+Grooming

Nail Clipper:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752777&lmdn=Cat

I'll probably get some toys once I'm there. Is there anything I'm missing? Anything I should swap out? Aside from a fish tank, I've only ever lived with dogs when I used to live home a few years ago. Trying to prep ground zero and all.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Most Petsmarts, I believe, carry Blue Buffalo food. Consider that over the AvoDerm you linked, as the food you linked has corn as the second ingredient.

I personally didn't like Swheat scoop. If you want something that's easily flushable, it's a great choice, but if you're planning on bagging and tossing, there are better litters out there. My husband particularly likes Tidy Cats Premium Power Blends, which we get at Target, because it doesn't produce a lot of dust (he's allergic) and it covers smells pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Most Petsmarts, I believe, carry Blue Buffalo food. Consider that over the AvoDerm you linked, as the food you linked has corn as the second ingredient.

I personally didn't like Swheat scoop. If you want something that's easily flushable, it's a great choice, but if you're planning on bagging and tossing, there are better litters out there. My husband particularly likes Tidy Cats Premium Power Blends, which we get at Target, because it doesn't produce a lot of dust (he's allergic) and it covers smells pretty well.

Thanks for the recommendation. I wasn't sure what food would be best and figured that would work. If I see the Blue Buffalo stuff I'll grab that instead. I'm not locked into the flushing thing, just saw another poster mention it favorably. I'll try to find the Tidy Cats as allergies are an issue here.

As for the whole taking care of them thing goes. I was planning on starting them out in the kitchen until they get used to the house. Eventually we were going to move the litter box into the basement as it's finished and where the fish maintenance happens. Does this seem like a good idea? The kitchen is roomy but not too big and generally free of wires and hanging things they can grab onto.

Sorry if these make no sense. I just want to make sure all goes smoothly. Got that "standing on the high dive about to jump" feeling and all.