Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Maybe they’re chipped? See if they’ll head into a carrier and wing on by a vet or such?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
I've always read that the way to respond to a cat playfully biting (like, light bites that would never break the skin and are meant to tell you that they want to play or want food or whatever) is to make some type of "ow, that hurt!" noise and then ignore them. I've tried several different types of noises - ranging from "ow!" to hissing - and always follow up by ignoring her, but my cat is ... very persistent in using this as a way to protest that it doesn't matter if it's not food time yet.

Is there something else that I should be doing, or is she just an extra big jerk about wanting to be fed?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

She's a jerk. If you cat is being fed then you're reinforcing it. If she's still doing it despite you ignoring her and not being fed, then she's not learning because...cat. One of my boys will want to play with the other cats but this devolves into biting that makes the others hit him and stop playing. To date after nearly two years he still doesn't get it and is all confused when they hiss at him. :shrug:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Bomrek posted:

Guys I can't have a cat right now, I just want to make sure this one doesn't like, die in the cold. I'm not a dorf I swear :(

There's been wildfires up this way recently, I almost wonder if he's from a home that burned down. Seriously doesn't act like a stray at all.

Hey, that's entirely fair enough. For my part I was mostly responding to "is this a thing?". And any opportunity to bring up Dwarf Fortress is a good opportunity :D

But yeah, if it were me, I'd try to get kitty to a vet to see if they have a microchip, and to get advice from them about what to do with them otherwise. If there's no chip, I would expect the vet would be able to advise you on shelters and so on.

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010

kw0134 posted:

She's a jerk. If you cat is being fed then you're reinforcing it. If she's still doing it despite you ignoring her and not being fed, then she's not learning because...cat. One of my boys will want to play with the other cats but this devolves into biting that makes the others hit him and stop playing. To date after nearly two years he still doesn't get it and is all confused when they hiss at him. :shrug:
Haha, alright - that's basically what I figured, but I'm enough of a cat novice that it seemed worth asking. I definitely don't reinforce her behavior by changing the time that I'm planning to feed her. And if she's acting like a jerk when I plan to feed her, I wait for her to be quiet and not bite-y before actually giving her anything.

Cats gonna cat, I guess.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I have a little black and decker dustbuster type thing. It's not great for regular litter but works well enough for crystals which is what I use now.

overall the best purchase I made w/r/t cleaning tracked litter was a Neato Botvac. If I spot clean I'm inevitably going to miss stuff but I can run the robot vac every other day and keep the whole area around the litter box clean. I wouldn't have shelled out full price for a new one but I found a refurb with a warranty for ~$150 and I have definitely gotten a lot of use out of it.
My fear is the robot vacuum will smear vomit or poop all over the floor if they ever have an accident. Has this been remedied yet?

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
Okay, I'm going to try and lure it with food tonight. Thanks on the input re: microchips; I think I know someone who can loan me a a carrier if I can get him to stick around for longer.

Thanks for the help y'all, keep them fingers crossed

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Bioshuffle posted:

My fear is the robot vacuum will smear vomit or poop all over the floor if they ever have an accident. Has this been remedied yet?

Yeah it'd do that. I don't let our robo-vac into the room with the litterbox, but it has a tile floor so i just keep it swept. I also do a quick vomit check before I let it run in general because cats.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
So I started working from home and I now have more office supplies in the house. This means more rubber bands. How dangerous are they for a cat? She loving loves them and they are the only thing that will tempt her out from behind my computer and chewing on my cords.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Gaj posted:

So I started working from home and I now have more office supplies in the house. This means more rubber bands. How dangerous are they for a cat? She loving loves them and they are the only thing that will tempt her out from behind my computer and chewing on my cords.

anything that can become a linear foreign body is generally bad.

Try bitter apply spray on the cords, rather than providing attention to the bad behavior (will only encourage the behavior)

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
She just licks the spray, and then chews on them more. So far its one of those things where if I ignore her for 2 minutes, she chews. I ignore her for 5 minutes, she stops.

My headphones are gone.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Gaj posted:

She just licks the spray, and then chews on them more. So far its one of those things where if I ignore her for 2 minutes, she chews. I ignore her for 5 minutes, she stops.

My headphones are gone.

Try wrapping the cables up in some tubing, so it's harder for her to get to the cables and maybe they won't have a delicious cable smell/attractive cable texture.

Rubber bands can definitely get caught up in their intestines and cause all sorts of extremely expensive and life-threatening problems. If she's the kind who eats them off of objects/digs them out of trash (ours is) you'll need to find a rubber band alternative. I use a lot of binder clips, yarn (which she doesn't care about), and boxes to corral stuff instead. (Do NOT get vinyl-coated paper clips, our rubber-band-loving cat loves those too.)

Our cat is another one of those who LOVES bitter apple/bitter citrus spray. We put it on the artificial Christmas tree she kept trying to eat the leaves off of, and she suckled all the spray off a branch before continuing on to eat the leaves. Cats, man.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
It's been a while since I last posted here
Sissel and Morgana are doing well. Adjusted to me working from home pretty okay.

Here are some pictures and vids of them from these last couple of months.

Morgana loves getting brushed!

https://i.imgur.com/Yk0VsY5.mp4

Always be fighting

https://i.imgur.com/ZGWbqYD.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/uWSuUaF.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/eI4hDlH.mp4

Clever girl

https://i.imgur.com/f6UQTv0.mp4

Playtime

https://i.imgur.com/x3JnmH3.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/0oX5h0X.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/6gm5I1H.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/z0EgeTZ.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/IEWu5pE.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/1CBmHWR.mp4

Sefal fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 21, 2020

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Bioshuffle posted:

It will, so I don't run mine on a schedule and I make sure there's no vomit on the floor before I start it.

One time the cat puked after I hit start and I didn't catch it until after. that was not a fun afternoon, but at least the model I have goes in predictable patters instead of a Roomba that just goes around randomly, so I had nice even lines of vomit streaks

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Checking in regarding my adopted cat, Hemingway. I had to leave for my first overnight, roughly 36hrs, so I decided to go to the pet store to find a dry food I could leave out for him. I learned that the food provided through the humane society, Royal Canin, actually sucks according to the pet store. Apparently the first three ingredients are corn, rice and chicken fat which I have learned is a bad thing. They kindly explained that my cat is a carnivore and I want the food to consist of meat primarily with as little grain as possible and it was likely my cat was just not getting full.

I am a little frustrated that the humane society provided me with food that clearly does not meet my pet's needs. They have some arrangement with the company as if I subscribed with Royal Canin some percentage of the cost goes to them. I want to support such places but will do so directly to avoid this trap. I'm also annoyed with my vet for not identifying that what I was feeding them was insufficient.

I ended up getting Performatrin Ultra grain-free original blend and leaving out two plates in different spots with two bowls of water in different spots as well. I was able to get a friend to check in on him and the plates still had plenty of food on them, I think one hadn't been touched. I'm hopeful this might help address the issue of them constantly meowing and trying to eat my meals. I feel terrible that I didn't think to address this sooner. It might not but at least I'm trying, I can still look for a food that I can leave out constantly or use an automatic feeder so there's hope.

I was worried that I might have to find him a new home as I'm going through some poo poo and this was really stressing me out to the point where I was losing my patience with a poor defenseless creature that I chose to take responsibility for.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

It will, so I don't run mine on a schedule and I make sure there's no vomit on the floor before I start it.

One time the cat puked after I hit start and I didn't catch it until after. that was not a fun afternoon, but at least the model I have goes in predictable patters instead of a Roomba that just goes around randomly, so I had nice even lines of vomit streaks
lol, I didn't even think of that, but the only time Katya has vommed was when we got her a weird batch of cat-grass.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Corte posted:

Checking in regarding my adopted cat, Hemingway. I had to leave for my first overnight, roughly 36hrs, so I decided to go to the pet store to find a dry food I could leave out for him. I learned that the food provided through the humane society, Royal Canin, actually sucks according to the pet store. Apparently the first three ingredients are corn, rice and chicken fat which I have learned is a bad thing. They kindly explained that my cat is a carnivore and I want the food to consist of meat primarily with as little grain as possible and it was likely my cat was just not getting full.

I can't speak directly to royal canin, but in general I think you're being a bit paranoid and probably shouldn't trust the opinion of one person you talked to at the pet food store. A humane society is (likely) not going to knowingly feed their cats a food that's bad for them.

Grains are fine for cats to eat, and in fact, grain free diets can deprive them of needed nutrients. But just about any commercial food you choose to feed them will be fine for them to eat due to regulations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Corte posted:

I am a little frustrated that the humane society provided me with food that clearly does not meet my pet's needs. They have some arrangement with the company as if I subscribed with Royal Canin some percentage of the cost goes to them. I want to support such places but will do so directly to avoid this trap. I'm also annoyed with my vet for not identifying that what I was feeding them was insufficient.

I ended up getting Performatrin Ultra grain-free original blend and leaving out two plates in different spots with two bowls of water in different spots as well. I was able to get a friend to check in on him and the plates still had plenty of food on them, I think one hadn't been touched. I'm hopeful this might help address the issue of them constantly meowing and trying to eat my meals. I feel terrible that I didn't think to address this sooner. It might not but at least I'm trying, I can still look for a food that I can leave out constantly or use an automatic feeder so there's hope.

I was worried that I might have to find him a new home as I'm going through some poo poo and this was really stressing me out to the point where I was losing my patience with a poor defenseless creature that I chose to take responsibility for.

Okay, first of all, the whole grain-free thing has been pretty...overblown. I'm not saying cats should eat grains, because obviously they are not exactly the top source of cat nutrition, but grain in your cat food is nothing to be terribly upset about.

Second, I would honestly bet your vet has a much better idea of what cats can eat than someone trying to upsell you super-healthy grain-free food.

Additionally, the shelter may have recommended you continue feeding your cat the food he was used to because it can cause stomach problems in some cats to switch dry foods, and they might have wagered it was better for him to get settled with as few potentially upsetting changes as possible.

You are a great cat parent for being this concerned! Please don't take this too seriously and get upset. You are under no obligation to feed him Royal Canin, but don't waste your time and energy being upset at the shelter or your vet. :kimchi:

also post moar catte

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

We’ve been feeding our kittens Royal Canin (what they were eating at their foster home) and the cashier at the pet store remarked that it was a good food when we rang up :shrug:

Anyhow, my old cat stayed happy and healthy on goddamn Friskies (both wet and dry) for twenty years (mom’s choice - I was a child)

Also I realize I haven’t posted in this thread for a while. Kittens are doing well, and my husband’s allergies are doing better than expected - it seems that he’s adapting to their presence and hasn’t had to take allergy meds every day, only on days when he has prolonged exposure to them or it’s been a couple days since vacuuming. Hopefully it’ll keep improving.

I was worried about our little girl Renny being too small for her age, but then I checked the charts again and it turns out she’s totally middle of the road and normal, and it’s her brother who is massive. He’s over four and a half pounds at 12 weeks :psyduck: Rooting for him to grow into a 20lb leg-numbing beast (I love giant cats).

Busy right now but I’ll try to post some pics this evening.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I can't speak directly to royal canin, but in general I think you're being a bit paranoid and probably shouldn't trust the opinion of one person you talked to at the pet food store. A humane society is (likely) not going to knowingly feed their cats a food that's bad for them.

Grains are fine for cats to eat, and in fact, grain free diets can deprive them of needed nutrients. But just about any commercial food you choose to feed them will be fine for them to eat due to regulations.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Okay, first of all, the whole grain-free thing has been pretty...overblown. I'm not saying cats should eat grains, because obviously they are not exactly the top source of cat nutrition, but grain in your cat food is nothing to be terribly upset about.

Second, I would honestly bet your vet has a much better idea of what cats can eat than someone trying to upsell you super-healthy grain-free food.

Additionally, the shelter may have recommended you continue feeding your cat the food he was used to because it can cause stomach problems in some cats to switch dry foods, and they might have wagered it was better for him to get settled with as few potentially upsetting changes as possible.

You are a great cat parent for being this concerned! Please don't take this too seriously and get upset. You are under no obligation to feed him Royal Canin, but don't waste your time and energy being upset at the shelter or your vet. :kimchi:

also post moar catte

Thanks for taking the time to respond and put me in check. I'm definitely not being as rational as I would like around this situation and was jumping to conclusions. I guess I was just hoping I had figured out the problem and had a solution. It did appear like he was eating as much or less of the Performatrin Ultra grain-free original than the Royal Canin and left plenty on the plate fwiw. My friend he wasn't that talkative with them but he also wasn't talkative with the vet so could mean nothing. Only way to know is to see how he is over the next few days when I get back home.

With respect to regulations would the fact that I'm based in Ontario, Canada make a difference? Here's the lovable rascal:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Royal Canin is a French company, and pet food regulations are much stricter in Europe than in the USA or Canada, so technically it's possible their food may be one of the safer bets, assuming their locally-produced food is the same formula as their Europe-made stuff.

That said, if you're still worried, try switching to one of the brands that's a member of this Canadian self-regulating organization: https://pfac.com/members/

I can tell you that Royal Canin's urinary formula is routinely one of the most prescribed foods by vets for cats with urinary issues, so many vets do trust it as a safe, healthy food. I had a roommate whose cat ate it exclusively and he was happy and healthy.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 21, 2020

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

The whole grain thing is kind of a carry over from the DCM in dogs potentially caused by grain free foods (which was caused by a lack of taurine precursors). Cats already have taurine in their pet food by regulation (at least in the United States) because it was determined that they had side effects from not getting enough as they couldn't synthesize their own, while dogs can which is why taurine wasn't added directly to dog food.

Meat does not have a natural tendency to stay in nice neat kibble shapes, so you need a starch to bind it together. Grains are great for this.

When hipster dieticians got it in their head that grain was not good for dogs, they said "okay well we need a starch still, but we can't use grains", so they switched to stuff like potatoes and legumes, but the problem is they provide more available protein than the grains did. Well now they've got too much protein, and companies like to make money, so they reduced the amount of meat protein put in the food. Dogs that were borderline on receiving enough taurine precursors in the meat would get to the point where if they didn't eat all of their portion, they'd be deficient in taurine precursors and couldn't synthesize enough.

Taurine is now added to dog food so it's kind of a non-issue these days.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
So I'm getting a new job (yay), but in July of next year I'll be required to relocate to San Jose (from Seattle). I'm thinking about how to move my cat, if it would be better to do the 14-15 hour drive there, or if I should fly him down. Some things to consider:

- my cat hates being picked up (but will happily hop into a lap to snuggle) and I've read going through security at an airport will require him to be taken out of his carrier.
- I use gabapentin to make traveling to appointments for him and it works great.
- he has a heart murmur. The vet doesn't think its too serious given the rest of his blood work and urinalysis is fine, but I'll get him an ultrasound before doing anything crazy. I have no idea how much cabin air pressure will impact him.

Thoughts? I'll eventually have to drive down there regardless but its more about making it easier on the cat. If an hour and half at the airport + 2 hour flight would be a lot less stressful than the long drive plus any stops i have to make, I'm down to pay the extra seat ticket for him.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Maybe put a leash and harness on him, to make the part where he has to come out of the carrier safer? He's not gonna like it either way.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've read a lot of horror stories involving pets and planes so I think I would listen to 16 hours of him telling you his life story before trusting a plane. But I have never had to transport an animal a long distance before

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
In my experience, as long as they are ok with the carrier, the drive is worth the time. I have never met a cat that flew well. They're going to be far less stressed in the car because even if they're screaming at the start, after an hour tops they're just going to go to sleep.

The only caveat is then you need to think of your drive from their perspective. I can do a 24 hour marathon between here and Michigan, I've done it multiple times (solo even), but kitty can't. You're going to have to do that 16-hour trip in two 8-hour legs with a stop over in a hotel....but that's still way cheaper than the plane tickets anyway.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah I'd do the drive over the flight for sure.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Why the spoiler tags?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I figured people don’t want to be blasted with all the embeds. Ill remove the spoiler tags

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Sefal posted:

I figured people don’t want to be blasted with all the embeds. Ill remove the spoiler tags

:shrug: up to you. I thought maybe you thought they don't download untill clicked on, or are hidden from search engines, or something. For what it's worth, I think timg is fine

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

BaronVonVaderham posted:

In my experience, as long as they are ok with the carrier, the drive is worth the time. I have never met a cat that flew well. They're going to be far less stressed in the car because even if they're screaming at the start, after an hour tops they're just going to go to sleep.

The only caveat is then you need to think of your drive from their perspective. I can do a 24 hour marathon between here and Michigan, I've done it multiple times (solo even), but kitty can't. You're going to have to do that 16-hour trip in two 8-hour legs with a stop over in a hotel....but that's still way cheaper than the plane tickets anyway.

Yeah seems more likely to do the drive. He's a pretty quiet car ride as long as I put a blanket over his carrier and give him some gaba. But it will definitely make sense to find a pet friendly hotel along the way so he can eat / drink / pee.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

James has decided that my lap is the place to be.

Which is to say, I've just taken a poo poo with a cat on my lap.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

This is the kitty thread picture spam away.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I am very proud of my extremely cool dude Jackson, who made it through a 14-hour car ride this weekend like a total champ. He's always been an extremely chill cat that turns into a huge pathetic baby with a nervous bladder in the carrier, for trips to the vet or friends for pet-sitting, so I was not looking forward to half a day's worth of crying and cleaning unspeakable messes on the side of the interstate. Admittedly he did pee in the carrier as soon as I put it in the car that morning. But after I changed the cheap-towel-and-puppy-pad combo and actually started the drive he did just fantastic. Mewed a bit for the first hour and then just settled down for the rest of the trip and was a perfect gentleman.

There's been a lot of travelchat lately which I appreciated. The only extraordinary things I did were 1) cover most of the carrier with a towel and 2) soak the inside of my car and his carrier with Nature's Miracle calming spray. I've never used the spray before (or done the towel thing) and I can't be sure it actually helped, but his crying seemed notably reduced compared to all prior car rides including a couple of 2-hour trips.

Anyway I don't have anything else to contribute to travelchat besides an encouraging anecdote about a trip that went way better than I feared. Here are a few pics, before/during/after.

FBS fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 22, 2020

necroid
May 14, 2009

hello, I didn't want to make a new thread just for this, I read the OP and I thought this was the right place to post a question like mine.

my cat :

- 7 years old
- female
- had her all my life, since she was 2 months old
- spayed
- last vet visit was last summer (2019)
- she's now living exclusively indoors (since October 2019), but she's lived free to roam all her life inside a big complex of lofts first, and a double-courtyard building later
- I have only her, no other pets
- I have 1 huge rear end litter box

so this is my question :

I want to eventually take my cat on hikes, so I'm looking for safe & comfortable leashes and also for big windowed backpacks. My idea is to buy the best I can find and start testing at home if she feels comfortable with one or both : if it looks promising I'd like to take her to a quiet park (away from dogs) and let her roam a bit more while still leashed.

What gives me hope is that whenever I took her outside with me at my ex-gf's parents' house, in a small wooded area, she would climb the gently caress out of everything in sight so I think she loves being outdoors (she also killed and retrieved some mice and a mole back then!).

Is this a bad idea? Does anyone have any suggestions on what leash/backpack would suit me best?

P.S. : by hikes I mean walks in parks, in the woods, at the seaside, with good weather and away from crowds

P.P.S. : years ago when I used to move frequently between cities she had no problems getting in her big carrier and dozing off 2-3 hours of either car or train travel, people always complimented her on how chill she was

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I posted my backpack with the collapsible mesh window on the last page, I think. It's not very large but to me those hard plastic backpacks look like they'd get hot in the sun?
We don't take Katya on walks or anything but we went through a few harnesses for training anyway, her fav is the soft mesh one that goes over her head.
Takes a little bit of practice but it's much more comfortable for her than the rigid nylon ones.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Look at this loving face. I dont care that I have cat allergies and she sent me to the emergency room with pnuemo.

necroid
May 14, 2009

InvisibleMonkey posted:

I posted my backpack with the collapsible mesh window on the last page, I think. It's not very large but to me those hard plastic backpacks look like they'd get hot in the sun?
We don't take Katya on walks or anything but we went through a few harnesses for training anyway, her fav is the soft mesh one that goes over her head.
Takes a little bit of practice but it's much more comfortable for her than the rigid nylon ones.

yeah I was thinking the same thing, that looks like it'd be better in the sun compared to clear plastic shells.

also the word I was looking for was harness, not leash. I want to find something comfortable on the chest area, like the Julius K9 harnesses for dogs.

thanks for the input!

e : ended up ordering this bundle, plus another harness I found on Amazon just to be safe

necroid fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 23, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I have a question about litter boxes. I'm going to be getting a pair of kitties here within the next month or so and I want to get the Litter Robot 3. Is there anything currently better out there? I know it is expensive but I've saved up for a while for it because I had the Litter Robot 1 when my ex and I had a cat and the thing was honestly great.

Is there a new hotness with the automatic boxes or is the Litter Robot currently the best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
To my knowledge (having one) it's still the best. No need for the wifi nonsense one though. Let us know if you want a referral code, it should save you $25 and get 25 for whoever generated it.