Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

I built a cat tree. I wanted something better looking than what was available in stores with a small footprint and good stability. It's just a softwood tree (alder I think) with lots of sisal rope on it, squeezed in between floor and ceiling with a rubber mat underneath plus a hockey puck, some all-thread, nuts and washers. It used to have one more branch on it looking more like a tree but that broke off when it collapsed. It turns out a tree will shrink a little lenght-wise as it dries out, so it lost tension and fell. Also I had to re-wind the rope since it shrunk in width as well. Now it's bone dry and stable since many months and the cats like it well enough, especially in the colder months when I have a bird feeder just outside that window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

thecluckmeme posted:

So how do I give an old stray cat a home when I can't see a good way to adopt him and make him an inside cat?

Just adopt the cat, please. Once it’s not a “stray”, your vet will see it. You can avoid getting your cats sick if you are careful and keep it in a separate room. You obviously care about it and it will have a much better chance of getting better if it indoors during the winter. Please adopt it.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Joburg posted:

Just adopt the cat, please. Once it’s not a “stray”, your vet will see it. You can avoid getting your cats sick if you are careful and keep it in a separate room. You obviously care about it and it will have a much better chance of getting better if it indoors during the winter. Please adopt it.

I understand the concern for his other cats. Many cat diseases that cause sneezing and coughing aren't comparable to a human having a cold. These diseases are permanent and deadly for cats.

Ideally you could give him a home in your shed or garage until a vet can check what is up. Or maybe you know someone who can adopt him?

Here's a page with cat shelter options:
https://www.alleycat.org/resources/feral-cat-shelter-options-gallery/

Seems the general theme is "big bin with some hay in it and a door hole".

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Look, y'all, sometimes you straight up cannot adopt a cat. It be like that.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Adopt the loving cat.

Vets are refusing to treat a cat even though you're willing to pay? That seems extremely unlikely and if true, highly unethical.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Adopt the loving cat.

Vets are refusing to treat a cat even though you're willing to pay? That seems extremely unlikely and if true, highly unethical.

Sometimes you just cannot adopt a loving cat AND Make No Babbys is right, this seems really weird on the vet's part. Call another one and tell them you're not being helped; they might come to your house even.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Robot Mil posted:

Hello cat goons!

Looking for a bit of advice or tips for caring for our newest kitty rescue - he is a young lad, about 2, extremely shy and timid of humans, way more so than any other cat we have cared for. Our current sassy lady cat walked out of the carrier like she owned the place and that hasn’t really changed lol. This little dude has been hiding under the bed since we brought him home yesterday. We were fully aware of his shyness and it’s not a problem, I know it’s early days and we’re happy to be patient, just have some questions if anyone has had a similar kitty!

How much time should we spend with him vs leaving him alone? We’ve been popping in and out to say hello, play some calming music and just chill for now. Should we be trying to engage him through play or just sit with him? I’m worried about him being lonely but also don’t want to stress him out!

At what point might it be a good idea to try and remove or block off the bed so he is forced to be a bit more out in the open?

It seems likely he’s going to be super shy of humans for a while but apparently likes other cats, any tips on introducing him to our other cat safely?

He’s definitely nibbled a few treats overnight and possibly a bit of kibble, at what point should we get concerned if he doesn’t eat?

So this little guy is very slowly settling in, eating more actual food definitely although only about one food pouch per day plus some treats and kibbles. He has used the litter tray for pee but not for poop and it's been like, 5 days.

I'm worried about the no pooping, but I'm also worried about taking the little guy to the vet as he's extremely skittish and has been hiding under the bed this whole time.

We do have a tube of some kind of kitty laxative we were given for another cat that we didn't use. If we can get close enough to put that on his paw for him to lick off I'm wondering if that would be worth a try before a vet visit?

This is also why I wanted to possibly block off the under bed hiding spot (obviously leaving other safe spots for him to hide) as it's really hard to reach him if we need to.

In good news we let our other kitty into his room for a supervised visit and she was really chill about him being there, mainly interested in his food lol. So hopefully they'll get on ok!

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Joburg posted:

Not everyone can just hoard every cat that comes their way. I think a nice little shelter is a great idea. Considering something similar for my little pal that greets me every morning at work and hangs out most of the day being chill.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
nah, the poster could easily adopt the cat or find someone else that will, I do it all the time. My sister regularly fosters kittens and they get adopted within seconds of being posted online. I am not a cat hoarder, I have a single cat.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
My cat loves all food of pastry kind. I dont get it, she will chew on other things like paper yes, but by god does she love any baked goods. The other day I had to save half a baklava from her. I cannot leave french fries out because she will eat those. I thought cats dont have any taste beyond "meat".

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

pidan posted:

I understand the concern for his other cats. Many cat diseases that cause sneezing and coughing aren't comparable to a human having a cold. These diseases are permanent and deadly for cats.

Ideally you could give him a home in your shed or garage until a vet can check what is up. Or maybe you know someone who can adopt him?

Here's a page with cat shelter options:
https://www.alleycat.org/resources/feral-cat-shelter-options-gallery/

Seems the general theme is "big bin with some hay in it and a door hole".

I've been staring at some feral-cat friendly outdoor homes which could A: give him a place to stay and B: have escape exits in case he got bullied by some other animals. Basically a dog house with outdoor flaps that he could bounce out of in case poo poo got dicey.

Garage won't work because we back out of it every day, and the shed is full of old dangerous stuff that I can't easily get rid of.

I seriously can't adopt him, both because I have no extra rooms to devote to a sick cat that could infect my other two cats, and this link you gave me cements the fact that the nearest shelter is two hours away. I saw him today and he was little more spry by my neighbor than when he's hanging out on my patio, so I think if I can give him a cathouse, it would fit perfectly. I just don't know what I should look for. I think ideally it would be a cathouse designed for ferals that has either a heating element of some kind, or an elevated house that I could change out the straw inside of it when it gets musky.

I was a lot more scared about this old cat sticking around yesterday, today I'm a lot more optimistic. Either way I would like to find a temp home for the winter time I could make cozy while his old dilapidated garage is being used as a man cave.

E: and to be clear, this cat has been around for almost a loving decade. I only worry about recent developments. He is old, I love him, but I can't adopt him and the local vet won't see strays, and he is absolutely on the list of strays considering the neighbors and I know him as Tom.

I'm mostly worried if he has a hideyhole that he can make his winter home during the colder months, because an old drafty garage was either his best bet, or he has a home that he can go to and I'm overreacting and will have a raccoon problem shortly

E2: as for my aversion to just adopting him and lying about it: both of my cats are rescues. One took a ride on a engine block for 20 miles until he was discovered, the other was one of 16 cats in a hoarder home, and they're both very sensitive cats. I don't want to sneak a cat in that both of them have to deal with

E3: I will pay the cat tax of adorable pictures of all three of them tomorrow to lighten the downer mood, though. They're all loving fantastic cats. I can guarantee pictures of Lucky and Star (the housecats) but I will look for a pic of Tom, the Old Man

bawk fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 17, 2020

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gaj posted:

My cat loves all food of pastry kind. I dont get it, she will chew on other things like paper yes, but by god does she love any baked goods. The other day I had to save half a baklava from her. I cannot leave french fries out because she will eat those. I thought cats dont have any taste beyond "meat".

They also taste fat. Delicious fat. If you take down prey bigger than you can eat in one sitting you want to eat all the rich fatty bits first, not the lean muscle.

This love of fat can transfer to oily french fries, buttery pastries, and earwax. Most cats I've known thought human earwax smelled intriguing and tasted fine.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Gaj posted:

Whenever I get junk food, the kitties want a piece. I've stopped giving it to them, but I let them have the bag when I'm done with it.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Ahh I see, its the fact that I am a fat sack of poo poo and my cat wants to emulate me. Good. Good. But seriously, my cat wanting to eat biscuits and such is just her wanting more easily attainable tasty calories? This isnt like pika or a metabolic problem?

My dear friend who gave me my cat (kept mom and bros) used to feed them Doritos as a treat depending on how high she was.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Cats wanting human food, even if it doesn't fit into an obligate carnivore diet, is just a cat thing. I'd advise against feeding her any of it so you don't reinforce the behavior, but as long as she's eating her own food and otherwise doing okay, she's probably fine.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gaj posted:

Ahh I see, its the fact that I am a fat sack of poo poo and my cat wants to emulate me. Good. Good. But seriously, my cat wanting to eat biscuits and such is just her wanting more easily attainable tasty calories? This isnt like pika or a metabolic problem?

My dear friend who gave me my cat (kept mom and bros) used to feed them Doritos as a treat depending on how high she was.

It doesn't sound like pika to me, no. Pet cats have been eating kibble with lots of grain in it for 50+ years just fine, they have no aversion to grain-based foods. If it smells like fat and/or protein it smells appetising to them.

Sharing food is a social act. Taking someone else's food or eating first is an assertion of dominance. Being a little weird about food isn't necessarily about the food.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Some cats like human food, some cats don't.

The three cats I currently have were all caught as kittens when I worked at a pizza place and the kittens were eating pizza from the dumpster. One of them still really likes human food, even though he eats plenty of actual cat food. Oscar loves Italian sausage, cheddar cheese, buttered toast, ice cream, gyro meat, turkey sandwiches, and generally just wants to inspect/sniff most of my food. I usually give him a small piece and he moves on, although he usually wants seconds of various meats. The girl cat, D.D., likes cheetos cheese puffs and some other types of chips and sometimes cheddar cheese, but isn't really interested in anything else. L.T has no interest at all in people food.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 17, 2020

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

You do gotta be real careful about leaving people food out though, just because so many things are toxic to them that aren't toxic to us.

Other cats I've had have had a seemingly natural revulsion to all citrus fruits, but not Lychee so I gotta be careful about keeping that sort of thing behind a closed door or else I bet I'm gonna wake up to cat vomit.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I am such a 1st time crazy cat owner that I police or inhale anything that could be toxic to my little claw-monster. Its just so dumb I once found her licking tahini sauce off of some lamb. Lamb no, sesame sauce yes.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Had a cat that would go nuts for the water in tuna cans, couldn't give two shits about the actual tuna though.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
https://twitter.com/invisiblemonkey/status/1235637234889625607?s=20

she also once pulled a vegetarian lasagna out of the oven when we left it there to cool down v:shobon:v

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Harold just climbed onto me and laid down.

I’m taking a loving bath. :wtc:

Edit: Our last cat, a Maine coon, went apeshit for popcorn of any kind but Harry has yet to care about people food beyond a curious sniff

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I just got a hand pan, was taking some pics and Lychee decided she wanted to be in the pictures too.

Hope no one minds I wanted to post a couple

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

that second one with the tail wag and the licking their lips :kimchi:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ugh damnit, my Leela needs to get some teeth pulled. We were last at the vet a few months ago with her for shots and he said it looked like it might need to happen but wasn't urgent, this time he said it looked noticeably worse just a few months later so we're taking her in next week. It's expensive but might also have been contributing to some of her weird aggressive tendencies so hopefully this takes care of a few issues for her. Poor girl, I just hate bringing her to the vet because of how much she doth protest. :smith:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Well, kitten time is almost here and I'm about to pull the trigger on the Litter Robot. Can someone generate me a friend code please?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Phenotype posted:

Well, kitten time is almost here and I'm about to pull the trigger on the Litter Robot. Can someone generate me a friend code please?

How heavy is the kitten? It does have a minimum weight requirement

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Len posted:

How heavy is the kitten? It does have a minimum weight requirement

Dunno, but I might as well have him get used to it from the start, or at least as soon as it gets here. I have a regular litter box or two around from my poor old boy who passed early this year, or I'll just scoop the Litter Robot til he gets bigger.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Phenotype posted:

Dunno, but I might as well have him get used to it from the start, or at least as soon as it gets here. I have a regular litter box or two around from my poor old boy who passed early this year, or I'll just scoop the Litter Robot til he gets bigger.

Oh god don't do that to yourself, you can turn off the auto cycle and just press the button in the meantime

Edit: https://mbsy.co/litter-robot/84384151

Or is it this one? http://share.litter-robot.com/396lWT

Len fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 17, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What’s the easiest and most stress-free way to bathe a kitten?

Sisqo here is a messy eater and his whole front is covered in dried matted fur from all the milk replacer that’s dripped onto his chest. I keep trying to wipe it off but it’s never enough so now I gotta give him a sink bath.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

Get a doting and affectionate older cat to do it for you? :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I. M. Gei posted:

Give someone money to do it for you?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My girls got fixed yesterday. They are spending the day recovering

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Len posted:

Give someone money to do it for you?

I asked my vet about doing this but they don’t groom kittens as young as this one. I assume it’s the same elsewhere.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Fill the sink with warm water, get elbow length gloves, scruff him with a binder clip and pray the tiny dagger-like claws don't hit a vital artery?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
It has been 0 days since a cat peed on the carpet.

Next time I offer to foster one, litter-trained cat and the foster agency offers me two, non-litter trained cats, I will say No.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Kitfox88 posted:

Harold just climbed onto me and laid down.

I’m taking a loving bath. :wtc:
What? Why?

Wolfgang regularly comes to me, when I'm on the computer, so that I can put my chair back and lie him down my chest for cuddles. It's wonderful.

I. M. Gei posted:

Sisqo here is a messy eater and his whole front is covered in dried matted fur from all the milk replacer that’s dripped onto his chest. I keep trying to wipe it off but it’s never enough so now I gotta give him a sink bath.

Maybe spot-cleaning with a damp rag or damp paper towel? I've had luck with that with my two (though they're adults, not kittens).

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Definitely spot clean his face but it's not like he's gonna drown if you just rinse his chest off under the tap. Water should be room temperature, don't turn the faucet on too hard. Kitten that small can be held in one hand while you use a washcloth to rub him down with the other. I wouldn't plug the sink- there's no need for an actual "bath" there. Dried milk will come right off, you shouldn't even need soap.

Towel him as dry as you can afterwards and make sure he stays warm. He'll get over it in a few minutes, he's a kitten. Seriously, people in this thread think their cats melt if exposed to water. :siren:IT IS OKAY TO BATHE A FILTHY CAT.:siren: Just don't dunk their little head in the water!

thecluckmeme posted:

I think ideally it would be a cathouse designed for ferals that has either a heating element of some kind, or an elevated house that I could change out the straw inside of it when it gets musky.

Amazon has you covered if you're willing to spend a little money. You're doing something very nice for the old boy, even if you can't take him in.

Lady Demelza posted:

Next time I offer to foster one, litter-trained cat and the foster agency offers me two, non-litter trained cats, I will say No.

"Litter trained" is not actually a thing my dude, I have said that a few times. Cats are not dogs. They just piss where they can dig. The only time this isn't the case is unfixed males, who will mark for territory. Do you have unfixed males? Is the box clean and easy to get to? How old are the cats? Where are they pissing? Are you cleaning with an enzymatic cleaner so they don't just smell piss somewhere and decide to continue pissing there? Regular cleaner won't do it, you need Nature's Miracle or another pet-specific cleaner.

Fostering means dealing with piss, poo poo, vomit, fleas, and unwanted behaviors like digging or shredding. It's taking in animals who often are still just learning how to interact with humans, who need extra care and attention. You should be prepping a place to keep them that has furniture and carpeting you don't care about because they're going to have accidents while they're learning. If your foster shelter is worth anything they made you sign paperwork saying you were okay with that. "How dare this cat piss on my carpet" is not fair to a cat who has not been indoors before, and saying you wanted "litter trained" cats probably just made the shelter workers go "???" because again, that isn't a thing, so they just gave you some cats who needed a foster and hoped it would work out.

If you post pictures of the cats and the cat room you'll probably get some solid advice on dealing with the problem, but fostering is often about having enough compassion to clean up some piss.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Hey yall I'm considering adopting an adult cat and I'm trying to plan everything out first. I live alone in a small-ish 1b1b apartment with no pets and I've never had a cat before. My main concern with my place is that it's a bit on the smaller side and I don't have much free space. I basically can clear out my coat closet to put a litterbox in there (it doubles as the water heater closet though but thems the breaks). Then I could put up a decent size scratching post by the sofa and maybe another cat furniture tower thing in my living room, but that's basically it for room in my place. And I'm not sure if there's other furniture considerations I would also need to make either?

So basically I'm not sure if I should hold off until I move into a larger place (possibly next year if I buy a house). It seems my other friends with cats make apartments my size work, but unlike them I've kinda stuffed mine up already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Becklespinax
Aug 20, 2013

Anyone got any advice for trimming the butt fluff? Mr Spice is doing a great job of getting poop in his fluff and then scooting it along the floor...

I’m thinking towel burrito and then using his mat comb as a barrier between his skin and fluff I can snip off.

Here’s a photo of the cute non-poopy end as thanks