Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Remember the cat fuckers?

Well, out of absolutely nowhere-- haven't heard from 'em since July 2019-- I got a weird message from the only nice one, asking excitedly about how I was doing and how the girls were.

Anyways, finally got some info out of here about what happened during the adoption process. Apparently, the woman in charge went back to the shelter with Aleta and started telling everyone we didn't speak Spanish (I was speaking Spanish to her THE WHOLE TIME) and were squatters. This last based on the fact that we had just moved from a furnished to an unfurnished apartment, and had very little furniture. So apparently, the nice lady was out there talking the crazy lady down, and it seems they even went so far as to call my workplace and vet me as much as they could.

I guess it was nice of her to finally explain what was going on, but they still fleeced us out of 300 euros or so and I will never, ever get over them threatening not to give her back because I was asking too many questions about the health problems they swore Aleta had.

Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

PriorMarcus posted:

Hello all. First time posting here. We've just adopted an 11 year old rescue cat. His previous owner, before he went into foster care, overfed him something shocking and he had a weight problem, predominantly from eating human food. His foster parent got his weight down, and recommended we feed him one pouch of wet food in the morning (Purina 1 Senior we are using for now) and then a scoop of kibble for the rest of the day (Iams Senior). However this seems really low to us given the recommendations on the packet and we don't want to be under feeding him. That said yesterday we gave him half a pouch of wet food in the morning, the other half at lunch and then kibble and he didn't finish the kibble at all but still meowed for food. We will be booking a check up with the vet soon (we have to wait for his vet records to be available to us) but for now any guidance would be great?

Wow, I'm actually super annoyed at UK pet food for not indicating cal/kg or whatever which makes the math super difficult.

These two are a good starting point to figure out how many calories he needs per day.

https://www.petplace.com/article/cats/pet-health/how-to-calculate-your-cats-daily-calorie-intake/
https://www.petnutritionalliance.org/cat.php

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I brought some bubble wrap home from work because it's fun to pop and i was just going to throw it away

i watched rear end in a top hat spend a solid 10 minutes popping bubbles last night, they weren't making the POP noises but it sure was adorable watching him just go at it with his points

Edit: litter robot is changing the referral system now instead of getting $25 they're going to be giving me $25 to their store. That's some poo poo

Len fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 14, 2021

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what to do anymore.

Cat, Bug, is 7 years old. Has had utis in the far past, nothing in recent years. Horrible brat of a cat, was a sole survivor of her litter and handraised by people with dogs, so she hates almost every cat.

About last Xmas she started having bad runny poop. Got her to the vet, they gave her some antibiotics, everything cleared up for about 2 months. Another set of runny liquid poop; vet recommended fiber sprinkled on her kibble (that is all she will eat, Kirkland kibble, no wet food, no chicken, etc). Been good for about a month, and I came home to splatters of liquid poo poo over my bedroom, where she has been locked up since December or so. She seems to prefer that to other cats getting into "her" room.

Some poo poo was in her second litter box. None in the first (she doesn't use it anymore, even after I did a full clean and new litter, even removed the lid).

I don't know what else to do. She is playful as always, eats fine, and the only other issue is that her tail droops now. I was looking into acupuncture for that, but reports are mixed if it works for cat tail muscles.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Could be a gut parasite like giardia or something. They can check the poop at a lab to confirm but it's pretty common to just prescribe a course of metronidazole without doing the lab work to save time/money.

(Antibiotics don't work on parasites.)

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm worried about my 6 month old ragdoll kitten. She's not really cleaning herself. Her fur is getting matted adn greasy. She's eating and drinking and using the bathroom. I'm getting the mats out and brushing her, but I don't know why she isn't cleaning herself.

Edit: What flea meds does the thread recommend? cats weights are betwen 4-10lb

Lady Jaybird fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 17, 2021

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Due to lazyness and my cats neurosis, Im getting her a robo-litter box. Im thinking of getting this model:

https://www.chewy.com/scoopfree-original-automatic-cat/dp/55638

Do I have to use the propriety crystal litter or can I use what I currently stock?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gaj posted:

Due to lazyness and my cats neurosis, Im getting her a robo-litter box. Im thinking of getting this model:

Do I have to use the propriety crystal litter or can I use what I currently stock?

I have it. Any crystal litter will do. However, the trays that form the bottom of the litterbox are laminated cardboard. They will absorb pee smells after a few months and need to be replaced. So you'll probably need to buy their replacement trays 2-4 times per year even if you mostly use a different litter.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gaj posted:

You could join the litter robot cult. It's legitimately life improving

For real content, I bought a harness and leash to take the cat for a walk. He was not okay with any of the process. But we tried

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

Len posted:

There is no lie here.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

textbookOrigins posted:

There is no lie here.

I almost said life changing but that felt too far. But I no longer come home to my apartment and just get blasted by litter box smell and that as it turns out was in fact worth every cent.

One of ours was a bit hesitant to use it at first because it was different and not the box she was used to, but I removed her box and she got with the program immediately. It's an absurd amount of dollars but it does come with a 90 day money back return window

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Len posted:

For real content, I bought a harness and leash to take the cat for a walk. He was not okay with any of the process. But we tried

I was going to suggest it but the LR is also like 3x the price.

It is 100% worth that price though IMO. I would go so far as to say its life changing for me and for the two girls.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Something to keep in mind is that cats are weird and they might not get along with the crystals. Bean won't use anything except clumping clay litter. LR uses what you probably already use so you don't have that to worry about

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
i got the LR3 Connect and i LOVE all of the data that it provides. my cats have used it at least 43 times this week.

MANY POOPS!!

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

My kitten is stressing me out, she's now thinks in front of my stove is a perfect potty location, when she has a clean box with easy access. THis is new behavior, when she was seperated from the other cats, she used the box no issue. I don't think she's in pain. She just doens't want to use the box anymore.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

So, I'm pretty shocked at my cat Jackie - at the age of (nearly) 15 years, which I think is fairly venerable even for a cat, she seems to have actually, well... pretty strongly bonded with this little kitten we adopted earlier back in January - we seem to have settled on the name "Li'l Romeo" for the time being - not a direct reference to the rapper, the "Li'l" is more or less optional, I think. He's easily the smallest of the four cats here (though he's getting bigger all the time) so it seems appropriate. Anyway, him and Jackie have been romping around chasing each other, tackling each other, even cuddling with each other on occasion - when Jackie doesn't immediately growl him away, not that this discourages him at all. They even eat together, head-to-head from the same bowl, and neither seems to mind :3:

Jackie's been one of those cats who mostly has "her person" whom she treats extremely affectionately, and has never had any use for other cats in particular - I mean, I was extremely pleased when I moved her that she was able to coexist with the other adult cats here at all. I did not expect her to bond with the annoying new kitten, that's for sure! I mean, I wasn't too shocked that the kitten was continuing to follow Jackie around - what surprised me was to see Jackie following Romeo around - protecting him from the other two cats when he goes upstairs into their domain, for instance.

Here's a pic of them resting between tackles:

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

dervinosdoom posted:

My kitten is stressing me out, she's now thinks in front of my stove is a perfect potty location, when she has a clean box with easy access. THis is new behavior, when she was seperated from the other cats, she used the box no issue. I don't think she's in pain. She just doens't want to use the box anymore.

Cat's don't just not want to use the box any more. Usually they have a reason. It's hard to tell if they are in pain or not, they are great at hiding it.
Get a second box, move the box somewhere else, maybe change the litter, go to the vet, and treat the spot in front of the stove with a cleaner that breaks down the enzymes because the spot probably smells like potty location to her by now so she'll keep using it even if everything else is fine.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Hello. Brief celebrations from the shelter.

Tofu turned 9 on Monday!

Corky turns 11 on the 21st! Still the cat who's spent the longest at the shelter total - he's been here since he was a couple months old.
Both of them got some very nice real chicken they seemed to enjoy a lot. (The bit they opted not to have, some other room residents shared. Nobody fought which was nice.)
I like these guys and I like making sure they know they're remembered. Sometimes that just means the little things.
Thanks for humoring me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kaworu posted:

So, I'm pretty shocked at my cat Jackie - at the age of (nearly) 15 years, which I think is fairly venerable even for a cat, she seems to have actually, well... pretty strongly bonded with this little kitten we adopted earlier back in January - we seem to have settled on the name "Li'l Romeo" for the time being - not a direct reference to the rapper, the "Li'l" is more or less optional, I think. He's easily the smallest of the four cats here (though he's getting bigger all the time) so it seems appropriate. Anyway, him and Jackie have been romping around chasing each other, tackling each other, even cuddling with each other on occasion - when Jackie doesn't immediately growl him away, not that this discourages him at all. They even eat together, head-to-head from the same bowl, and neither seems to mind :3:

Jackie's been one of those cats who mostly has "her person" whom she treats extremely affectionately, and has never had any use for other cats in particular - I mean, I was extremely pleased when I moved her that she was able to coexist with the other adult cats here at all. I did not expect her to bond with the annoying new kitten, that's for sure! I mean, I wasn't too shocked that the kitten was continuing to follow Jackie around - what surprised me was to see Jackie following Romeo around - protecting him from the other two cats when he goes upstairs into their domain, for instance.

Here's a pic of them resting between tackles:

Being a tiny kitten is probably a big factor. Adult cats tend to not see kittens as threats or competitors. Annoying little shits who need to be taught proper behavior, forcefully at times, but not competitors and rivals like other adult cats are typically seen as.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm taking my kitten to the vet tomorrow, just to rule out anything physically wrong with her. She's a sweetheart and a half!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Good luck! I hope everything turns out to be okay.

Nalk
Jul 13, 2009

I heard about you!
Does anyone have any success stories with a specific sensitive stomach food? I have a newish kitten (have had her 3 months) who a month after adopting her stopped using the litter box and has chronic diarrhea. We took her to the vet and gave her metro which made her poop solid for awhile but not in the litterbox. Three or four days after the metro ran out the diarrhea came back so I think she is a cat with a problematic stomach.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nalk posted:

Does anyone have any success stories with a specific sensitive stomach food? I have a newish kitten (have had her 3 months) who a month after adopting her stopped using the litter box and has chronic diarrhea. We took her to the vet and gave her metro which made her poop solid for awhile but not in the litterbox. Three or four days after the metro ran out the diarrhea came back so I think she is a cat with a problematic stomach.

We have to feed Finn this stuff because he had crystals AND pukes most of the time when he eats normal cat food. Crystals are gone but normal food still gives him trouble so we have to stick with this. He'll still barf sometimes but it's dramatically reduced. I'd probably talk to your vet and see what they recommend, I'm pretty sure you can only get specialty food like this from a vet anyway.

Boofer in question:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 19, 2021

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I was out of the apartment and Terry managed to turn on the portable air conditioner by jumping on it. He must have been terrified and I bet it was hilarious.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I was out of the apartment and Terry managed to turn on the portable air conditioner by jumping on it. He must have been terrified and I bet it was hilarious.

What I'm hearing is Terry now knows how to get cool air whenever he wants it in the middle of the night :v:.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

how do you deal with a litter robot and multiple cats? for example, i run 3 boxes and 3 LRs is $$$$

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Deviant posted:

how do you deal with a litter robot and multiple cats? for example, i run 3 boxes and 3 LRs is $$$$

Just get one you'll be fine unless they're assholes and litterbox aggressive.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Deviant posted:

My two cats do perfectly fine with one LR.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Gaj posted:

I had this and it wasn’t worth it. Starts to smell like piss badly after a week and a half, can seep through, changing out the litter tray is a pain in the rear end and messy, and the litter trays themselves are super expensive. Went back to my old method of a disposable litter box in a liner in a normal litterbox, scooping every couple days, and replacing ever 2 weeks. If I ever get an automatic litterbox again it will probably be the litter robot.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Being a tiny kitten is probably a big factor. Adult cats tend to not see kittens as threats or competitors. Annoying little shits who need to be taught proper behavior, forcefully at times, but not competitors and rivals like other adult cats are typically seen as.

That makes sense to me, actually - though what's funny is that 10 years ago, the reason I adopted Jackie from my parents at the time was because she was so incapable of getting along with the two annoying kittens who'd constantly be trying to tackle and play with her. Back then she hated it to the degree that my parents were going to send Jackie back to the shelter because she was that miserable. And then when I adopted her she was thrilled to be an "only cat", and obviously it took another 10 years before I even chanced her living with other cats - let alone another kitten.

I guess that's why I'm especially surprised. It's just great to see her interacting and playing with another cat happily for like the first time since she was a kitten! That's seriously how long it's been. Back then she absolutely worshiped this exceptional older cat that my parents had at the time named Squeak, who tragically died when Jackie was still a kitten.

And, my goodness! while I've been typing this, Li'l Romeo (the formerly feral kitty) has amazingly come up to my bed where I'm typing this beside a purring Jackie for the first time ever - just a week ago he'd have been too terrified to enter my room with me in it, and now he's jumping onto my bed to hang with Jackie and rubbing against my laptop and stuff :3: It's pretty gratifying to see a really fearful kitten just slowly open up and... get less fearful.

Oops, and there Jackie goes getting annoyed at too much purring and head-rubbing from the kitten :xd: She's so weird - she'll accept endless amounts of petting and attention from me, but the adorable kitten tries the same thing she has a definite limit before she's tackling him.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

kaworu posted:

Oops, and there Jackie goes getting annoyed at too much purring and head-rubbing from the kitten :xd: She's so weird - she'll accept endless amounts of petting and attention from me, but the adorable kitten tries the same thing she has a definite limit before she's tackling him.

Same, Katya tolerates Kimchi really well and she'll groom her and cuddle with her but inevitably the kitten will do something to annoy her because she's a kitten. She's turned into a lanky teenager but obviously doesn't really understand she's grown 200% over the past few months and will straight clamber over Katya (and us) putting paws in her face while she's trying to chill. She can ruin a mood in seconds, lol, but she's a sweet little firecracker and I'm sure she'll mellow out when she grows up.

Here they are being sweet and tired together.

Here's Kimchi playing the "nooooo, don't hit me, I'm just a tiny baby!" card but don't believe her lies because as soon as Katya walks away she'll pounce and bait her again.

It's really funny to see how she mirrors Katya though, she learned Katya's high-five trick in no time just by watching her get rewarded for it. They also spend a lot of time like this:

And in conclusion, blep.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Win a cake for the motherland.

Nalk posted:

Look at the ingredient list on her food and feed her something that doesn't have any of those proteins and see if it clears up. I have a kitten that had horrific diarrhea after switching to solid food and it ended-up being a severe food allergy to chicken.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Deviant posted:

I have three cats and they share one LR just fine. I was sold on the LR from friends who have four cats and one LR. The point of a LR is that it cycles everytime a cat goes potty so there's in theory always a clean litterbox. It's only really an issue if your cats must go together, like some sort of co-dependent pooping party.

In conclusion, buy the LR. Do it. Doitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoit.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

You'll have to empty the tray more often, that's the problem with more cats and one LR

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
We had an old arthritic kitty who would rather pee on the rug than go up or down the stairs, so we bought 2 litter robots to begin with. With young healthy cats one LR should be fine.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Here's a shameless self plug for anyone thinking about ordering one, it no joke has been a massive improvement on everything in my apartment.

http://share.litter-robot.com/396lWT

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Deviant posted:

i have one LR and one manual box. the LR is downstairs and the manual box is upstairs.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

My diarrhea kitten is mostly fine now but only if I ensure he eats nothing but Royal Canin Sensitivity Control food. This worked fine until a few days ago because I fed him his special food in his special box upstairs and fed my two adult cats atop a kitchen work surface.

On Wednesday? He realized he is now big enough to jump atop the work surface and he is greedy enough that even if I feed him first, he will only eat a few mouthfuls before running downstairs to bully the big cats for their (much cheaper) food. Not that he is much smaller than them now! He is fast closing on 3kg at about eighteen weeks old. Now I guess they all have to eat his special food because he will go out of his way to eat what he is not supposed to and both adult cats like to spend their time licking all of the gravy off their wet food before they will actually eat anything.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Brought rear end in a top hat outside onto the balcony while I read since he's got a harness and leash now so I didn't have to worry about him jumping off the balcony. He was fine for about a minute and then a car drove past and then he got real poofy and tried to climb the screen door to go back inside

Considering how if we go out there and leave him inside he cries at the door I was really hoping he would just lay on me and be cute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I have to give my very recalcitrant formerly feral cat eye drops four times a day in both eyes. I don’t know how this is going to work.